Peterson, Harris, etc....

WPMUFC

Michael Knowles: "The perfect time in history I want to go back to is 1220 and every piece of progress since then...including ALL forms of philosphical liberalism is a "corrosion" of perfection."

:lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Michael Knowles: "The perfect time in history I want to go back to is 1220 and every piece of progress since then...including ALL forms of philosphical liberalism is a "corrosion" of perfection."

:lol:

Ah yes, 1221 - a year in which the Mongols massacred up to a million in the cities of Herat, Merv, and Nishapur, the Jewish population of the German town of Erfurt were wiped out following a blood libel, the soy boys of the Fifth Crusade were forced to withdraw from Egypt in humiliation, and libtard Genghis Khan declined to cross the Indus and invade India - was just too woke for this guy.

WPMUFC

How fecking reactionary are you that you lament the renaissance?!
The subtext of this cnut being "the world would be perfect if everyone was controlled by a suppressive religious (my version of Christianity) hierarchy. Humanity would not be allowed to think outside "perfected structures". Philosophy, critical thinking, human conceptions of the "self" allowed for the undermining of the way I want society structured'

He goes even beyond the "classical liberalism" shtick of the other right-wingers. He's full blown theocratic dictatorship, to him liberalism as a philosophy is abhorrent. For him...THINKING is abhorrent.

A totalitarian to the core.

Last edited:

Halftrack

Sam Harris just popped into my head. Do we still have people on here who thinks that particular racism apologist is worth listening to?

Fridge chutney

Sam Harris just popped into my head. Do we still have people on here who thinks that particular racism apologist is worth listening to?
Probably, but does it even matter? His relevance seems to be fading, i barely hear about him anymore. I have not thought about him in 6-12 months!

Wittmann45

The last time I listened to his podcast (though I never was a regular listener) was when, in the aftermath of the Uvalde shooting, he spoke about mass shootings. His solution was not any form of gun control because that wouldn't be 100% successful, instead, he advocated for teaching school kids how to take down active shooters. It wasn't his most convincing argument, obviously

NotThatSoph

A combination of not being on Twitter, locking his podcast behind a paywall, and not being on the best of terms with the Rogans and Musks of the world anymore has notably lessened his reach, I think.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'm always happy to engage anyone on Harris as I'm a big believer in the way he hosts his podcast and has such a great mix of guests on that covers an incredible range of topics.

Lately feels like he and Lex Fridman have had the same agents - lots of guests going back to back on their shows.

I maintain some people (on here, there's plenty of history in this thread) read what they already wanted to with regards to the whole Murray/cancel culture incident and for me even if don't agree with Sam's take on cancel culture you shouldn't tarnish the entirety of his work from one podcast out of literally hundreds. If anything, that incident and the way (finally) the pendulum is starting to swing back on campuses and around academia justify his stance imo.

As to the referenced guns episode, if that's really what you took from over 90 minutes of a show then fine, but that certainly wasn't the main takeway I took. It was far more sympathetic towards the police than most things you'll read in my liberal mediasphere, but his point that there are 400 million guns in america and therefore every interaction with law enforcement has to be different from other countries is certainly one I can understand, personally.

For me Harris is great, and I encourage folks who are interested in a wide variety of topics to listen to a few of the free episodes. Recent ones on AI, the history of astrophysics have been good and he's always got really deep thinkers on with regards to the nature of consciousness and perception.

Finally, really, REALLY don't think he still deserves to be associated with the craziness that is Jordan Peterson these days.

atkar83

I think it's a result of his deteriorating mental state. The man is clearly very unwell.
People keep saying he's unwell but he's not. He is paid millions of dollars by Ben Shapiro's company to create culture war rhetoric, and these are his attempts to fulfill his duties for that payment. It's all bottom of the barrel shit because he isn't very good at it. Its embarrassing when you put it into perspective.

"Sorry not sexy"

'Oh boy I hope the outrage caused by this tweet justifies the money Daily Wire is paying me'

He's even bragged about the money he's making on JRE and that was even before his deal with Daily Wire. All these scumbags like Peterson, Pool, Rubin, etc. are only it in it make money. I doubt any of them even vote Republican

Fridge chutney

It's hard to trust someone's mental state when they claim having a bite of non-beef food sends them into a spiral of physical and mental doom...

Halftrack

People keep saying he's unwell but he's not. He is paid millions of dollars by Ben Shapiro's company to create culture war rhetoric, and these are his attempts to fulfill his duties for that payment. It's all bottom of the barrel shit because he isn't very good at it. Its embarrassing when you put it into perspective.

"Sorry not sexy"

'Oh boy I hope the outrage caused by this tweet justifies the money Daily Wire is paying me'

He's even bragged about the money he's making on JRE and that was even before his deal with Daily Wire. All these scumbags like Peterson, Pool, Rubin, etc. are only it in it make money. I doubt any of them even vote Republican
He's always seemed a tad fragile, and especially so after going to Russia and getting brain damage. I think it's fairly obvious that his mental state has deteriorated since.

Tarrou

"Sorry not sexy"

hadn’t realised he was paid by The Daily Wire

that explains his shift towards climate change skeptic in recent years

the twat

atkar83

hadn’t realised he was paid by The Daily Wire

that explains his shift towards climate change skeptic in recent years

the twat
That other dork Matt Walsh, same thing. Paid by DW, and its non-stop culture war tweets from him, even if it conflicts with things he's said in the past or even day to day. Scumbags all of them

Eriku

No Qatari/Saudi apologist types prowling in here to tell you lot that you’d do the same for the right amount of money?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

But this is hardly a revelation - he's been saying the same stuff under his own name. Recently said that the US needs fascist policies to be civilised, and has been posting race-IQ stuff for a while.

It's like an investigative report into somebody who says Heil Hitler in public, finding that he said "6 million was too low" in private.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

But this is hardly a revelation - he's been saying the same stuff under his own name. Recently said (verbatim) that the US needs fascist policies, and has been posting race-IQ stuff for a while.

It's like if an investigative report into somebody who says Heil Hitler in public, finding that he said "6 million was too low" in private.
Never heard of him before, either either name.

What’s more dismaying is those who are apparently caught up in his aura.

NotThatSoph

But this is hardly a revelation - he's been saying the same stuff under his own name. Recently said that the US needs fascist policies to be civilised, and has been posting race-IQ stuff for a while.

It's like an investigative report into somebody who says Heil Hitler in public, finding that he said "6 million was too low" in private.
It's not a revelation at all, everyone not suffering from centrist brain rot always knew what he was about, but now some of the centrists will catch on and some of the right wingers will stop pretending. And then you'll get some centrists talking about how he became this way because of polarisation and social media, which is always fun and super interesting.

rotherham_red

A combination of not being on Twitter, locking his podcast behind a paywall, and not being on the best of terms with the Rogans and Musks of the world anymore has notably lessened his reach, I think.
What happened? This is the first I've heard of it

NotThatSoph

What happened? This is the first I've heard of it
About the last part? Mostly covid/vaccine stuff. Harris is mostly taking the "mainstream/establishment" view on how serious covid was, how safe the vaccines are, and how necessary things like lockdowns were, so he's turned crazy in the eyes of his old gang.

rotherham_red

About the last part? Mostly covid/vaccine stuff. Harris is mostly taking the "mainstream/establishment" view on how serious covid was, how safe the vaccines are, and how necessary things like lockdowns were, so he's turned crazy in the eyes of his old gang.
Yeah the last part, and I hadn't thought about it like that, but now you mention it, that does track

Mike Smalling

Things that confuse Ben Shapiro:
- real estate values in flood plains
- vaginal moisture
- Barbie popularity

"Repeat business" on movies in the cinema must be pretty small to begin with. The share of tickets sold to second time viewers on any given movie can't possibly be more than a few percent.