Peterson, Harris, etc....

Boycott

I can't say I'm familiar with Peterson's political views but isn't his lifestyle advice the same kooky stuff that have been in written literature for years. I've heard a few things he has said as he portrays himself as some sort of guide to boys to become men and come away thinking I've heard this bollocks before.

Is his popularity just that because he uses digital media he has reached out to a new audience of incels for whom this is seen as new and groundbreaking information?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I can't say I'm familiar with Peterson's political views but isn't his lifestyle advice the same kooky stuff that have been in written literature for years. I've heard a few things he has said as he portrays himself as some sort of guide to boys to become men and come away thinking I've heard this bollocks before.

Is his popularity just that because he uses digital media he has reached out to a new audience of incels for whom this is seen as new and groundbreaking information?
He's a professor of psychology at a big university which made it easier for him to be "recognized" for peddling his nonsense.

This is the result of a person growing up with his nonsense.

Tarrou

sounds like he's had a rough time of it, hope he pulls through

he really should stop giving people advice about diet/lifestyle though, the fecking nugget

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Jordan Peterson struggling to talk properly because he battled addiction and ignored generally accepted science is just perfect.

Tarrou

he'll 'pull through' and release a book telling us how to beat addiction/anxiety/depression

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
at this point it looks like his daugher is manipulating/controlling him while he's barely able to resist, quite scary

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Just found out my dad is addicted to tranquilliser...

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The way that Sam Harris has responded to this pandemic will hopefully end the knee jerk right wing categorisation so often applied to him. Compare and contrast with the likes of Dr Drew.
Am a big Sam Harris fan and have never really understood how he gets lumped in with some bad actors. Hes always come across as articulate, thoughtful ad genuine to me.

Folks in this thread might also appreciate Dan Carlin did his first Common Sense podcast in a few years last week.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Am a big Sam Harris fan and have never really understood how he gets lumped in with some bad actors. Hes always come across as articulate, thoughtful ad genuine to me.
It's because he sounds like Katie Hopkins when it comes to Muslims and Islam. I've never found him genuine. His views on religion are very hypocritical. Also, he's a shoddy writer who has only been able publish because he was born to rich Hollywood producers. His books are largely garbage. Maybe his podcast is interesting when he invites eugenics advocates who have been denied a platform everywhere else.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's because he sounds like Katy Hopkins when it comes to Muslims and Islam. I've never found him genuine. His views on religion are very hypocritical. Also, he's a shoddy writer who has only been able publish because he was born to rich Hollywood producers. His books are largely garbage. Maybe his podcast is interesting when he invites eugenics advocates who have been denied a platform everywhere else.
Odd on the last point. I've only been listening for 2 years but hadn't spotted any eugenics folks. Haven't read his books tbh, so fair enough can't comment on the quality, but he does have a doctorate in neuro science from UCLA, so can't be too dim.

At least he has had guests on that challenge him on Islam. He does have a point about radical Islam, which is where he tends to get the reputation. He's extremely clear on differentiating between the two, but in the days of 128 characters, outrage is king and nuance is dead.

Why do you find him hypocritical on religion? He's a pretty clear atheist so not surewhy?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Odd on the last point. I've only been listening for 2 years but hadn't spotted any eugenics folks. Haven't read his books tbh, so fair enough can't comment on the quality, but he does have a doctorate in neuro science from UCLA, so can't be too dim.

At least he has had guests on that challenge him on Islam. He does have a point about radical Islam, which is where he tends to get the reputation. He's extremely clear on differentiating between the two, but in the days of 128 characters, outrage is king and nuance is dead.

Why do you find him hypocritical on religion? He's a pretty clear atheist so not surewhy?
As far as I know his most prominent books were published before he had a doctorate. Besides, getting a doctorate doesn't mean you suddenly have something valuable to say on things not even related to the subject of your training. I'm familiar with some of his later books as well and they are garbage. His views on religion are hypocritical because his critique is disproportionately underpinned by hatred for just one particular religion. My views on him have nothing to do with his atheism, if that's what you're wondering. In fact, Hitchens was one of my favourite writers. I've huge respect for other atheist public intellectuals like Dawkins, Daniel Dennett etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As far as I know his most prominent books were published before he had a doctorate. Besides, getting a doctorate doesn't mean you suddenly have something valuable to say on things not even related to the subject of your training. I'm familiar with some of his later books as well and they are garbage. His views on religion are hypocritical because his critique is disproportionately underpinned by hatred for just one particular religion. My views on him have nothing to do with his atheism, if that's what you're wondering. In fact, Hitchens was one of my favourite writers. I've huge respect for other atheist public intellectuals like Dawkins, Daniel Dennett etc.
Only two of his 6 or so books were written pre-Phd....although one of them was written while it was underway.

Which bits of his do you find hypocritical ?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Only two of his 6 or so books were written pre-Phd....although one of them was written while it was underway.

Which bits of his do you find hypocritical ?
He only had a BA when he published his first two books.

I think it was the third one that he wrote while it was underway.

I think it's fair to say that these are his most prominent books.

Have you read them?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He only had a BA when he published his first two books.

I think it was the third one that he wrote while it was underway.

I think it's fair to say that these are his most prominent books.

Have you read them?
I've read a few of his books - can't remember all the titles. Not bad, not amazing either.

OleBoiii

I'm not a big fan of Peterson, but it's rough to see him talk about his benzodiazepine withdrawal. He's really been through hell over the last 10-11 months.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
1. Puts him on an all-meat diet.

2. He gets sick, takes him to Russia, where he gets much much worse and enters a coma.

3. Takes over his social media

4. Marries a Stalinist

5. Takes him to Serbia, gives him corona.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Someone did a twitter thread on the same, more comprehensive

Silva

An Always Sunny episode where Dr. Toboggan writes a self help book and Charlie and Mac create a new diet because the Reynolds are ignoring them, but instead of beef Charlie's been feeding the whole gang pigeons and rats

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
1. Puts him on an all-meat diet.

2. He gets sick, takes him to Russia, where he gets much much worse and enters a coma.

3. Takes over his social media

4. Marries a Stalinist

5. Takes him to Serbia, gives him corona.

Not to seem like I'm defending Peterson, but for the sake of objectivity I wanna comment on a few things with your post.

If I'm correct, didn't enter a coma because he got worse, that was the plan all along right? That's simply a treatment method. Also, he had undiagnosed pneumonia before he arrived there which I believe complicated things?

How do we know Mikhaila's bit on the side is a Stalinist? Hard to know if it's pure conjecture or if there is a solid basis for that label. And if he is, what's the point here? That he's brainwashing her to kill her dad, or something similarly absurd?

And just a point of curiosity, what's this about her overtaking his social media? I'm not clued up on that.

I think Peterson is first and foremost an eccentric, the all meat diet is highly eccentric behaviour and to be honest it's probably dangerous that he's preaching about it. Secondly, it seems as if he probably has deep issues underpinning his behaviour. Labouring 14 hours a day doesn't seem like mere 'highly conscientious' behaviour, it's probably more an emotional escape, maybe he's in a permanent state of crisis. The theme of escape seems to pervade his life, as can be seen in his addictive tendancies which appear to be intense. I don't think either of these things invalidate his advice. Even though there is a funny irony to his 'get your house in order' idea with his current situation you are still allowed to agree with it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not to seem like I'm defending Peterson, but for the sake of objectivity I wanna comment on a few things with your post.

If I'm correct, didn't enter a coma because he got worse, that was the plan all along right? That's simply a treatment method. Also, he had undiagnosed pneumonia before he arrived there which I believe complicated things?

How do we know Mikhaila's bit on the side is a Stalinist? Hard to know if it's pure conjecture or if there is a solid basis for that label. And if he is, what's the point here? That he's brainwashing her to kill her dad, or something similarly absurd?

And just a point of curiosity, what's this about her overtaking his social media? I'm not clued up on that.

I think Peterson is first and foremost an eccentric, the all meat diet is highly eccentric behaviour and to be honest it's probably dangerous that he's preaching about it. Secondly, it seems as if he probably has deep issues underpinning his behaviour. Labouring 14 hours a day doesn't seem like mere 'highly conscientious' behaviour, it's probably more an emotional escape, maybe he's in a permanent state of crisis. The theme of escape seems to pervade his life, as can be seen in his addictive tendancies which appear to be intense. I don't think either of these things invalidate his advice. Even though there is a funny irony to his 'get your house in order' idea with his current situation you are still allowed to agree with it.
The thread I posted next goes into it. After she changed his diet, he stopped taking his previous meds, had new ailments which he discussed on Joe Rogan, took new mediciines, developed an addiction, and wasn't able to withdraw - because he wanted an "express" withdrawal. She took him to Russia where an "unorthodox" express cure was available, but he didn't improve and had to be put in a coma - that wasn't the plan at the start afaik.

The tweet in that same post has her talking about her partner's love for Iosif. Brainwashing via Stalin? No, I think she already did that with the diet and medical changes. No, the Stalin thing is for irony since he brings up the Gulag in every single lecture.

AFAIK, every tweet/instagram from his accounts has been by her for about a year now.

Ya he was messed up before her, but I don't think she has helped. From the outside, it looks like she is using his success to push her own brand.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
That all meat panacea aint looking so hot right now. First redcafe's chief proponent perished within months of promoting it and now the perpetually sick Peterson is reclining on his death bed. Eat your veg kids.

NotThatSoph

I'm not going to watch 20+ minutes of Harris. Is it a dunk? I really hope it's a dunk.