Peterson, Harris, etc....

WPMUFC

Recovery mode Rubin won't move to Texas because California treats him like a human.....yet hates California because "they are liberals"

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
What's the jungian interpretation of this?
Even Jung is scratching his head at this one.

I assume he offers some veiled "free speech" argument to his objection?
Don't think he said anything else about it tbh, just one of his many daily tweets to get his fans frothing.

WPMUFC

Didn't he say on a podcast that he realised he could provoke his cult into giving him money by making certain comments etc?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Possibly doesn't belong in this thread but what a tool.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The idea that we have to like people, rather than things that people say, is insane.

Theres this crazy culture whereby ordinary people will just endorse every single thing that anyone on their ‘good’ list says. It’s mad.

I loved Jim Davidson when I watched Big Break as a kid. Now I realise he’s an ass-hat. I loved Rogan in the early years, then he seemingly thought millions of viewers endorsed all his views. I loved Peterson the first time I heard him speak. Shit, I thought Boris was a harmless anti-politician 15 years ago.

But I’m so comfortable in having my mind changed. I don’t feel stupid. It’s surely how we should all operate. I can get taken in by character and personality just as easily as I can give it up.

That a growing pool of talking heads have realised that there are enough folks that prefer to be a sheep/disciple and are happy to speak to them in a certain way, as long as you tell them that the ‘others’ are sheep... it’s grim. Really disheartening.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Admittedly I’ve not read much of this thread, but I have to ask why Harris is grouped into this thread with semi-loonies like Peterson? Harris is neither right-leaning, nor is he ‘mad’.
Even if we ignore the accusations of racism, gun advocacy, Islamophobia or that he cultivates a general maliciousness amongst his flock, Sam Harris speaks to a particularly type of lazy impressionable, one that seeks the appearance of intellectual or cerebral engagement, without wanting to bother with the rigour. That his slick act has proved so mesmeric to these preening dolts, makes him arguably the most pernicious of the lot. Sam Harris' supporters routinely justify his shallow unpleasantness with appeals to his self identified image of public intellectual.

This is a pretty good summation of why he is such a problem:

UnrelatedPsuedo

Even if we ignore the accusations of racism, gun advocacy, Islamophobia or that he cultivates a general maliciousness amongst his flock, Sam Harris speaks to a particularly type of lazy impressionable, one that seeks the appearance of intellectual or cerebral engagement, without wanting to bother with the rigour. That his slick act has proved so mesmeric to these preening dolts, makes him arguably the most pernicious of the lot. Sam Harris' supporters routinely justify his shallow unpleasantness with appeals to his self identified image of public intellectual.

Great post, and link.

Harris is the kind of guy that was harmless pre-internet. His half-right but mostly wrong-headed outlook isn’t that problematic in small environments.

But roll out that to a seducable anonymous crowd and that amplification is really unhealthy.

More people think it sounds clever and click ‘like’. Not enough push back and tear apart the nonsense. Validation at scale, consternation as an afterthought. Algorithms kick in. More believe nonsensical shite.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Jordan Peterson wearing a fedora moaning about lack of testosterone in men and how women date arseholes instead of nice guys :lol: He couldn't look or sound any more like typical "Redditor". I thought it was deepfake until it zoomed in

UnrelatedPsuedo

Jordan Peterson wearing a fedora moaning about lack of testosterone in men and how women date arseholes instead of nice guys :lol: He couldn't look or sound any more like typical "Redditor". I thought it was deepfake until it zoomed in

This is like a Brass Eye skit that got left on the cutting room floor.

He must be on something. That’s 4 minutes of accidental self-parody.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
This is like a Brass Eye skit that got left on the cutting room floor.

He must be on something. That’s 4 minutes of accidental self-parody.
You couldn't make a better parody video to take the piss out of him.

One day they'll break into the den of some guy who went out and shot a load of feeeemales and that will be playing on multiple screens on a loop.

OleBoiii

I'm lost for words. This is beyond a parody now.

Suddenly I'm very happy to live in a country where guns are hard to come by. More happy than usual, anyways.

UnrelatedPsuedo

You couldn't make a better parody video to take the piss out of him.

One day they'll break into the den of some guy who went out and shot a load of feeeemales and that will be playing on multiple screens on a loop.
He’s a ridiculous human. Every single point is premised on a false reality.

Why he uses one million words to say “People of the same wealth, level of attractiveness, social standing, that treat each other well, have better outcomes”... is beyond me.

Yes girls feck sexy bad boys. Just as guys feck easy girls.

At some point, everyone either gets their shit together. Or doesn’t. He clearly didn’t. I’ve been in one night, and one year relationships with girls that could ‘Do better’. I’ve fallen in love with girls for weeks or months that I have no idea why I dated.

Just fcuking grow up. Love yourself. Find someone you enjoy being with that doesn’t make you change who you are. This faux psycho analysis of deep rooted invention is just bait for people that can’t accept that to get better outcomes they need to be better people.

It’s scary that he draws a crowd. A big one.

WPMUFC

Dimmy Jore: Dave Rubin is Walter Cronkite because he interviews neo-fascists :lol:

Sam Seder is so good. within seconds of playing the Dore clip actually highlights why Dore's stance is so utterly brain dead.

jungledrums

There’s a reddit thread ‘proving’ the earth is flat - hardly a convincing argument. What you have done, though, is betray the fact that you’ll believe anything, no matter how flimsy, if it supports your preconceived opinion of something/someone. Even in your little paragraph denigrating Harris, you rely on multiple logical fallacies to assassinate the man’s character - I can highlight them individually if you’d like. It’s all rather ironic, as I do believe you criticised a poster recently for a fallacious post. Gotta see the funny side!

Charlie Foley

There’s a reddit thread ‘proving’ the earth is flat - hardly a convincing argument. What you have done, though, is betray the fact that you’ll believe anything, no matter how flimsy, if it supports your preconceived opinion of something/someone. Even in your little paragraph denigrating Harris, you rely on multiple logical fallacies to assassinate the man’s character - I can highlight them individually if you’d like. It’s all rather ironic, as I do believe you criticised a poster recently for a fallacious post. Gotta see the funny side!
I would like you to

LoneStar

The idea that we have to like people, rather than things that people say, is insane.

Theres this crazy culture whereby ordinary people will just endorse every single thing that anyone on their ‘good’ list says. It’s mad.

I loved Jim Davidson when I watched Big Break as a kid. Now I realise he’s an ass-hat. I loved Rogan in the early years, then he seemingly thought millions of viewers endorsed all his views. I loved Peterson the first time I heard him speak. Shit, I thought Boris was a harmless anti-politician 15 years ago.

But I’m so comfortable in having my mind changed. I don’t feel stupid. It’s surely how we should all operate. I can get taken in by character and personality just as easily as I can give it up.

That a growing pool of talking heads have realised that there are enough folks that prefer to be a sheep/disciple and are happy to speak to them in a certain way, as long as you tell them that the ‘others’ are sheep... it’s grim. Really disheartening.
Yup, this is the main problem on both sides. Social media has made this worse by amplifying your beliefs while totally cutting out the other side. All this labelling doesn't help either. I mean, a lot of people say good and not so good stuff, and change over time. This blind following, saying my side is always right doesn't take us anywhere.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yup, this is the main problem on both sides. Social media has made this worse by amplifying your beliefs while totally cutting out the other side. All this labelling doesn't help either. I mean, a lot of people say good and not so good stuff, and change over time. This blind following, saying my side is always right doesn't take us anywhere.
If i'm interested in a person's work, I just read their work or listen to their podcasts and interviews. I'm not particulary interested in the purity test or reddit hit jobs, I can make my own mind up about what I think about a person or his/her work. I don't really have a cult of personality type of mentality. Flawed people can make some very good points and correct the mistakes they have made in the past. And even if they are not 100% spot on everything they made be spot on other topic or provide a meaningfull perspective.

caid

If i'm interested in a person's work, I just read their work or listen to their podcasts and interviews. I'm not particulary interested in the purity test or reddit hit jobs, I can make my own mind up about what I think about a person or his/her work. I don't really have a cult of personality type of mentality. Flawed people can make some very good points and correct the mistakes they have made in the past. And even if they are not 100% spot on everything they made be spot on other topic or provide a meaningfull perspective.
We're back to why I don't bother with Sam Harris amongst others. Its not just that he's not very charismatic, his work is weak

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We're back to why I don't bother with Sam Harris amongst others. Its not just that he's not very charismatic, his work is weak
Sure. I havn't read Sam Harris work yet, I've only listened to his debates, interviews and a few podcasts.

LoneStar

Yes, making your own mind up about something or someone by reviewing their work is the best way to go about it.

caid

Sure. I havn't read Sam Harris work yet, I've only listened to his debates, interviews and a few podcasts.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of it. A 14 page essay on free will with about 4 pages of whitespace. Then theres the atheism bit, riding on the coattails of Dawkins and Hitchens which i haven't read tbf. Sounds like you're more familiar with him than me tbh