Phelan doubts about signing up

wolvored

I put this in another thread but was suggested I put it in its own thread
Has anyone seen Mike Phelan hasnt signed up to stay as he has doubts about the structure of the club and how its run. He wants reassurances and perhaps this is why they are looking at this 'technical director' to put this right. Hopefully if Phelan does sign up it will mean these doubts have been answered.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...agreeing-stay-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaers-No-2.html
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...s/manchester-united-news-mike-phelan-16085385
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8798163/mike-phelan-threatens-to-leave-manchester-united/

Loublaze

ATLien
I read the DM article yesterday. It seems believable, and if indeed true its just another example of how poorly this club is being run.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If true, I think he's right to have reservations. Whatever we've been doing, the club's not been run well at all. Whether that's solely down to Woodward or not is irrelevant, now's the time for change. We failed to modernise while clubs who are meant to be our peers have overtaken us by implementing structural changes on and off the pitch but more importantly having a contingency plan. A technical director/DoF is essential at this point and moving forward without one would be a borderline disaster, Woodward obviously doesn't really understand football and flourishes with the commercial side of things.

Chairman Steve

There are times I think the commercial side are winging it with regards to the football side, plus even the semblance of the footballing side of Utd is convoluted and confusing. There’s been a Head Scout, a Scouting Manager, a Head of Global Scouting and a Head of European Scout... all at the same time!

So who out of them would give the go ahead to recommend to buy a player? Who’s got the most authority? Do they report to Ed and the manager?

It’s a mish mash of eras involved. There’s Jim Lawlor who’s a trusted SAF Scout, There’s Marcel Bout who I believe was LVGs opposition scout, There’s John Murtough who worked with Moyes at Everton and before joining us as the Premier Leagues Head of elite performance... yes that famous team called Premier League.. I dunno :houllier:

I have no idea if any of these people are good. They could be amazing for all we know and their input has been getting thrown aside by Mourinho, LVG or Ed. I know Lawlor was effectively the guy who signed Hernandez. It doesn’t surprise me that Phelan is having hesitations about committing longer... probably about transfer targets in some aspect such as having the money to buy them or buying the marquee name just to increase commercial sales. Surely Ed has realised that the ready made stars we’ve signed have been mostly burdensome, with Sanchez being our new white elephant after Rooney left.

Last edited:
I read the DM article yesterday. It seems believable, and if indeed true its just another example of how poorly this club is being run.
This is why I'm scared for Ole I don't want him to fail, but he will end up like the others if the board dont put a structure in place.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This is why I'm scared for Ole I don't want him to fail, but he will end up like the others if the board dont put a structure in place.
Someone he specifically asked to come back to stabilise the team, is now pissed off that we aren't doing much!

This fecking club! Shambles!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I will just share these facts from the ECA, Barcelona have 25 scouts, Ajax have 55 scouts, Inter have 37 scouts, Sporting CP have 150 scouts. IIRC Barcelona also use independent scouts.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
If LvG and Mourinho have failed, I am incredibly fearful for Ole

Will never change my love for him, he's just one guy I don't want to see in such a bad position

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
I'm pretty sure this story originated in The Star.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Is the journalist reliable or are we just making threads about anything relating to the club?

Jeffthered

Hmm. Well, 58 scouts etc... too many people on that Premier League gravy train. Let's put some good relationships in place with some smaller clubs, and just keep out youth development strong.

We need Phelan and Ole to stabilise the club and re-establish some values that have been lost with Moyes, LVG and Mourinho (and I am not blaming them... as we need to move on...)

A massive summer ahead, because it will set out how Ole seeks to move forward with United.

Also, I would like to hear a little more about Michael Carrick's role. I love the guy, absolute quality player... and I know he is quiet. But would like to know a little more about his role...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well if true this is a good thing. It'll show that they need to fecking sort it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Like we need more examples of that :lol:
Good that someone they want is making a stand about it though, rather than someone who's just coming across as sour about it down the line. Might actually make em take notice.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Structure this structure that.

This is mike phelan, there's no structure back then and it doesnt bother him.

You lot are overestimating structure, managers and coaches wont care much for structure. Their lifespan is 2-3 years. They aint gonna say no to a job because we didnt plan for the next 10 years.

Trizy

Would you blame him? State of this club and how it's run.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
List of clubs better run than us in the league?

City, Pool, Spurs, Wolves. Arsenal? (Haven't had the issues we've had qualifying for top 4).

deadrevelz

You lot are overestimating structure, managers and coaches wont care much for structure. Their lifespan is 2-3 years. They aint gonna say no to a job because we didnt plan for the next 10 years.
He already has a job in Australia. I imagine he would want assurances if he's going to change employer that they will give him the tools to succeed and not sack him 2 years later.

Untd55

No, the structure of a club/business is massively important to how successful it is - both short and long term. Without a proper structure, it makes the job of managing a million times harder or pretty much impossible. This could put off the correct manager when we get our next one, which I think will be next season.

If the structure at this club is a mess and it does not get fixed, there will be very little success in the future.

Some managers/coaches won't care (not sure that is the type of manager we want) but others may not take the job if they feel a proper structure is not there.

Last edited:

ErranMorad

Mickey fecking Phelan is skeptical about the assistant managers position because he has doubts about the structure of the club? :confused: He is clearly grown too big for his shorts.

The_Bloods

Mickey fecking Phelan is skeptical about the assistant managers position because he has doubts about the structure of the club? :confused: He is clearly grown too big for his shorts.
He's been around the game long enough to know that the club is a mess right now. Woody needs to move sideways into non-player commercials, where he's very successful and we need someone to come in above Ole and sort out the player recruitment and scouting structure. Phelan is key to our fortunes over the next few years, but equally important is backing up Ole and Phelan with a footballing director with experience.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If Phelan turns down coming back permanently, you really do have to wonder what the heck is going on.

I can't see it personally, and think he'll sign on. Presuming of course Ole wants it to continue.

ErranMorad

If Phelan turns down coming back permanently, you really do have to wonder what the heck is going on.

I can't see it personally, and think he'll sign on. Presuming of course Ole wants it to continue.
Every time there is a little break between games this kind of nonsense pops up. Like Phelan is going to reject a chance to be Ole's assistant for some position at an obscure club in Australia because he is unhappy with the "structure"... :houllier:

I mean, I have read bullshit from the British rags over the years, but this one takes the cake.

Melville Red

Every time there is a little break between games this kind of nonsense pops up. Like Phelan is going to reject a chance to be Ole's assistant for some position at an obscure club in Australia because he is unhappy with the "structure"... :houllier:

I mean, I have read bullshit from the British rags over the years, but this one takes the cake.
Perhaps he is happy in Australia. Perhaps his Mrs is very happy in Australia.
Don’t forget he was shown the door here once upon a time and he probably doesn’t want that too happen again after he uproots his family.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Since when did we start believing that very fecking thing in the paper? Phelan is more than happy to be back and of course he is staying.

First of All the pogba rumours now this :lol:

Loublaze

ATLien
I agree. It is a scary thought, going through this again in a few seasons. Ole has to succeed.

It's the Daily Mail for fecks sake.
IK, im not panicking, but the article doesn't seem far fetched, it could well be within the realms of reality.

JMack1234

I'm sure Phelan has very serious concerns about the way the club is run because every other fan does.

However, I don't think it is insignificant that he has a very good job in a nice part of Australia.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Lool, few years ago, we complained that we didn't have enough scouts, now it's too many?

Eric's Seagull

Really hoping that Phelan stays and hoping this is just a load of sh!t from the Daily Mail and others have run with the same story.
Ole needs all the assistance he he can get to have a fair chance of doing well. Get Phelan signed up as soon as possible as well as the DoF we have been waiting for so long for.

sugar_kane

He was at the Barca game tonight with Ole, probably can’t read too much into that but would perhaps expect him to maintain a lower profile if contract talks were going badly.

ErranMorad

Perhaps he is happy in Australia. Perhaps his Mrs is very happy in Australia.
Don’t forget he was shown the door here once upon a time and he probably doesn’t want that too happen again after he uproots his family.
That is different from him not accepting the job because of the structure at the club.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's fecking Daily mail and the other 2 papers which are worse or as bad as Daily mail are just copying Daily mail story.