Phelan doubts about signing up

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
OGS possibly has/had concerns re. the structure of the club, but he never hesitated when offered a full-time contract, and neither will Mickey Phelan, pure shit-stirring with not a quote in sight, and with it being just a few days until our biggest match for years I wouldn't expect anything less, sadly.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Woke up this morning Phelan shit after reading the OP

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He already has a job in Australia. I imagine he would want assurances if he's going to change employer that they will give him the tools to succeed and not sack him 2 years later.
What tools? Cones? Drawing board? Guaranteed the next messi every 5 years coming from the academy? Guarantee that he wont get sacked if things go bad?

Edit : there's nothing he can demand, if he do his job and we perform he keep his job. Just like every other manager and assistant managers all over the world. He aint gonna barge in there demanding a structural revamp or he quit.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No, the structure of a club/business is massively important to how successful it is - both short and long term. Without a proper structure, it makes the job of managing a million times harder or pretty much impossible. This could put off the correct manager when we get our next one, which I think will be next season.

If the structure at this club is a mess and it does not get fixed, there will be very little success in the future.

Some managers/coaches won't care (not sure that is the type of manager we want) but others may not take the job if they feel a proper structure is not there.
A million times harder...

Good lord... i dont even think you can define what a structure is

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
58 scouts and We signed Sanchez on a huge salary + no RW for 6 fecking years.

What the feck are They doing?

Last edited:

Bestietom

It is Woodward who has got the club in the state it is in and we need to relieve him of conducting any transfers now. I believe he has created a bad atmosphere in the dressing room regarding wages paid to Alexis, and have several players now knocking on his door.
He should stick to doing other deals and leave the football end to someone who knows how to conduct it properly. The mess is down to him.

Bestietom

Think it is over 60 scouts. I also think that Phelan wants job as director of football as well as being assistant to Ole.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Scouts don't sign players. It's on recruitment team to sign them.

buckooo1978

hopefully bullshit but there could be something in it

I've little confidence in the Glazers doing what is necessary

extending Smalling, Jones, Young doesn't scream long term investment to me - more like cheap short-termism to get thru the next 2/3 years - I have my doubts also about how much they are willing to invest.

With superb scouting and planning 200m might bring in the 4/5 players we need but will the Glazers even commit that much?

it's been quite a while since the idea of a Director of Footballer was mooted - probably going back to when Woodward dismissed Mourinho's transfer targets back in August but certainly for the last 6 months - it's strange there has been no apparent progress with this

in the background are the Glazers looking to sell up?

wolvored

hopefully bullshit but there could be something in it

I've little confidence in the Glazers doing what is necessary

extending Smalling, Jones, Young doesn't scream long term investment to me - I have my doubts also about how much they are willing to invest.

With superb scouting and planning 200m might bring in the 4/5 players we need but will the Glazers even commit that much?

it's been quite a while since the idea of a Director of Footballer was mooted - probably going back to when Woodward dismissed Mourinho's transfer targets back in August but certainly for the last 6 months - it's strange there has been no apparent progress with this

in the background are the Glazers looking to sell up?
That would be the perfect scenario. Unfortunately they would want £4 billion+ and its only the likes of the Saudis who could afford us without wanting their investment back, and i think we discussed the pros and cons of it somewhere :lol:

buckooo1978

That would be the perfect scenario. Unfortunately they would want £4 billion+ and its only the likes of the Saudis who could afford us without wanting their investment back, and i think we discussed the pros and cons of it somewhere :lol:
yes it would be sickening

the thing is I am a little sickened by the Sanchez deal as well

it disrupted our pay structure and inevitably it's going to lead to all these will he, won't he contract discussions involving De Gea, Pogba, Herrera ........ it's disruptive, unsettling and hard for Ole I'm sure when he's trying to rebuild a United side

if the Saudi's came in and started giving players 500k a week here there and everywhere it would please the fanboys no doubt but do you have players who give everything for the shirt? i'm not so sure

bring back Neville, Scholes, Butt etc who signed a contract in 20 mins - we're never going to be a football club again but we need to really get away from corporate marketing bullshit too

fezzerUTD

OGS possibly has/had concerns re. the structure of the club, but he never hesitated when offered a full-time contract, and neither will Mickey Phelan, pure shit-stirring with not a quote in sight, and with it being just a few days until our biggest match for years I wouldn't expect anything less, sadly.
Ole will play a minor role in transfers he is a coach and thats about it.

Green_Red

If true, I think he's right to have reservations. Whatever we've been doing, the club's not been run well at all. Whether that's solely down to Woodward or not is irrelevant, now's the time for change. We failed to modernise while clubs who are meant to be our peers have overtaken us by implementing structural changes on and off the pitch but more importantly having a contingency plan. A technical director/DoF is essential at this point and moving forward without one would be a borderline disaster, Woodward obviously doesn't really understand football and flourishes with the commercial side of things.
Do you not think the changes that were made post Ferguson were done in an attempt to minimise the impact of him leaving? You can't get it 100% right all the time. I'm sure they are aware of the mistakes, that would be a standard for any change review. They're like any business, there will be metrics to show where the bad decisions were made, the negative impact they have and the solutions. Like all big companies, change is slow though, right?

Phil Osophy

It wouldn't surprise me that Phelan had identified certain holes at club level, and the man is putting some pressure now to get things right. In the end their success here depends as well on how the club is run, so it's logical that someone with his knowledge and experience who knows what's needed demands the best possible conditions for the staff. By the moment nothing wrong with this, the opposite in fact, but if he ends up leaving I'll start to worry.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The idea that he would quit us to go back working in Australia is the biggest bullshit I've read.
Apparently as Solskjaer said, we are now getting a TD and he's happy with that. If Phelan is only used to the manager and his staff having total control of these matters, is not willing to adjust, he can leave. Convoluted scouting team...ffs!
Just a few years ago, we were having weekly negative articles about how we are being left behind in the scouting department and the rot had started while SAF was still here.
People are in a rush to believe everything negative about the club. I'm normally a pessimist but this is too much. This place is depressing.

Fosu-Mens

The idea that he would quit us to go back working in Australia is the biggest bullshit I've read.
Apparently as Solskjaer said, we are now getting a TD and he's happy with that. If Phelan is only used to the manager and his staff having total control of these matters, is not willing to adjust, he can leave. Convoluted scouting team...ffs!
Just a few years ago, we were having weekly negative articles about how we are being left behind in the scouting department and the rot had started while SAF was still here.
People are in a rush to believe everything negative about the club. I'm normally a pessimist but this is too much. This place is depressing.
A worst/best case (dependent on how you look at it) scenario this would be that this actually is true, and Phelan trying to enforce changes in the club. "either you make changes and i sign, or you do not and OGS does not get my help, good luck".

Phelan would certainly not be against a DoF, as this role got some similarities with his Sporting Director role in Australia.

Adisa

A worst/best case (dependent on how you look at it) scenario this would be that this actually is true, and Phelan trying to enforce changes in the club. "either you make changes and i sign, or you do not and OGS does not get my help, good luck".

Phelan would certainly not be against a DoF, as this role got some similarities with his Sporting Director role in Australia.
So what is his business with the number of scouts we have at the club?
I'm all for him having concerns but the article painted that as one of his main gripes. That doesn't make sense. It says he doesn't want a convoluted management structure but doesn't explain in anyway how that is.
Imo, the club should quickly decide on how it wants to operate with the new technical director and anyone who does not agree can leave. My dear is there are people that want to run everything exactly the same way SAF ran it. Our scouting network was notoriously small under him.

Melville Red

That is different from him not accepting the job because of the structure at the club.
It’s a factor though.
And let’s face it looking from the outside the club does look to be all over the place. I read on hear that the stadium is in need of money spent on it, we need an overhaul in the boardroom ie a director of football, our youth set up is miles behind the bitters, we are still £500million in debt, no wonder we are miles behind other clubs and until we find a buyer who can finally clear of us of debt so money can be spent where it should be ie on the stadium and on the pitch then we are fecked.
The wage bill is bloody astronomical. Woody in his role is a liability and the sooner we get someone in to work closely with the manager in order to get rid of and sign the players we need on wages which give value for money then we are doomed to be struggling for fourth for years to come.
Phelan isn’t going to say all that is he? He would get slaughtered by fans and probably be on the first flight back home, so just saying he wants a few assurances as to how the club is run is acceptable.

But maybe with all of the above he is really thinking that at this time of life does he need the hassle of risking losing what he has in Australia? I don’t blame him for thinking twice.

Adisa

It didn't stop him from identifying and getting the right players though, which after moyes is in shambles.
It worked for SAF but doesn't mean the club should continue like that. Our record under SAF wasn't even that good. As someone said earlier, Ajax have more than we do, Barca have more than we do. There are a multitude of reasons why we've been poor transfer wise in the last five years. No one can really say scouting is the problem.

Patrick08

It worked for SAF but doesn't mean the club should continue like that. Our record under SAF wasn't even that good. As someone said earlier, Ajax have more than we do, Barca have more than we do. There are a multitude of reasons why we've been poor transfer wise in the last five years. No one can really say scouting is the problem.
Surely one can improve on scouting, though decision making on top level needs to pay heed to scouts and act soon as possible.

Why do Dortmund get more potentials than us now? They lure potential targets with certain packages to the player and his family to gain competitive advantage, but under Woodward we make decisions at top level with complete arrogance and cluelessness.

There were times the likes of Southampton and leicester churning out players after players but our club couldn't scout or land them. Number of scouts doesn't solve the problem unless there is a upper hierarchy who understands the value of identifying and being their first.

Fosu-Mens

So what is his business with the number of scouts we have at the club?
I'm all for him having concerns but the article painted that as one of his main gripes. That doesn't make sense. It says he doesn't want a convoluted management structure but doesn't explain in anyway how that is.
Imo, the club should quickly decide on how it wants to operate with the new technical director and anyone who does not agree can leave. My dear is there are people that want to run everything exactly the same way SAF ran it. Our scouting network was notoriously small under him.

Having a large scoutingnetwork is beneficial for finding younger players not necessary known and playing in youth leagues. With the developement over the last 10 years with available data in football and the availability of matchfootage this would not be the same players in top top leagues. Also, scouting for younger players and players going into the senior team is two very different things.

Youth players; Large scouting network. Less availability of footage and data. Larger degree of uncertainty regarding how they will develope.
Players into the first team squad: Do not need many people, but the people you need for mitigating/decreasing the risk of buying Freds from Torreiras, would need to people of competence with experience and a good trackrecord. With the availability of data you can sit on a computer and create a list of 5 people for a certain position, then you would need more specific scouting/evaluating/hands on approach to find the best player among those players.

Would suggest that you read this interview with Luis Campos and his thoughts on how he prefers to work; Luis Campos : The man behind the Monaco story.

My guess, if this story got some merit, is that Phelan is not impressed by the people involved in transfer decisions(Woodward, Judge, Glazers++).

wolvored

It’s a factor though.
And let’s face it looking from the outside the club does look to be all over the place. I read on hear that the stadium is in need of money spent on it, we need an overhaul in the boardroom ie a director of football, our youth set up is miles behind the bitters, we are still £500million in debt, no wonder we are miles behind other clubs and until we find a buyer who can finally clear of us of debt so money can be spent where it should be ie on the stadium and on the pitch then we are fecked.
The wage bill is bloody astronomical. Woody in his role is a liability and the sooner we get someone in to work closely with the manager in order to get rid of and sign the players we need on wages which give value for money then we are doomed to be struggling for fourth for years to come.
Phelan isn’t going to say all that is he? He would get slaughtered by fans and probably be on the first flight back home, so just saying he wants a few assurances as to how the club is run is acceptable.

But maybe with all of the above he is really thinking that at this time of life does he need the hassle of risking losing what he has in Australia? I don’t blame him for thinking twice.
That could be a big part of it. We were constantly winning trophies last time he was here and he is looked on in a good light. Imagine if a couple of years down the line and we have won feck all and the fans are clamouring for the sack of Ole, he will be tied into this. Maybe he is after reassurances certain things will be happening.

Apokalips

Our fans are always so quick to believe anything that paints our club in even the slightest bit of negativity. It "sounds believable" because it fits your confirmation bias.