Phelan doubts about signing up

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Our fans are always so quick to believe anything that paints our club in even the slightest bit of negativity. It "sounds believable" because it fits your confirmation bias.
Or because it's exactly what the last three managers have said and we all see with our own eyes every single summer and with players contracts. We're run horrendously from a footballing point of view, no doubt about it.

Some of you need to wake up.

beedoubleyou

The Glazers and too tight.
Also, The Glazers gave Sanchez too much money.

You're all bored because there's no game this weekend.

Go outside and do something.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Surely one can improve on scouting, though decision making on top level needs to pay heed to scouts and act soon as possible.

Why do Dortmund get more potentials than us now? They lure potential targets with certain packages to the player and his family to gain competitive advantage, but under Woodward we make decisions at top level with complete arrogance and cluelessness.

There were times the likes of Southampton and leicester churning out players after players but our club couldn't scout or land them. Number of scouts doesn't solve the problem unless there is a upper hierarchy who understands the value of identifying and being their first.
What have Dortmund won in the last six years? A club like Dortmund offer time and a peaceful environment for young players, United can't offer that. You just have to look at the caf and the press in the last two weeks, there is a general hysteria because we lost games after an incredible run of good results. In the mean time Dortmund have won very little, they have been inconsistent and sometimes underwhelming but they are used as a stick to beat United.

el3mel

It'll be pretty shame but if he sees the obvious problems in the club structure then I can't blame him. He'll definitely keep doing his current job to 100% whatever he stays or not.

Melville Red

The Glazers and too tight.
Also, The Glazers gave Sanchez too much money.

You're all bored because there's no game this weekend.

Go outside and do something.
I’m busy doing Sunday dinner, roast lamb with roast potatoes stuffing, cabbage and carrot and swede.
Obviously I’m leaving the gravy to the mrs but I’m keeping busy thank you, must go just putting the spuds in the oven.

hungrywing

Part of me hopes that he's said this because he sees the right changes coming and he wants to help push them over the line.

It has to bug him and Meulensteen etc. a great deal to watch such a well-oiled machine reduced to 'sputtering', if you will. Especially if the solutions are so glaringly obvious to them. That has to be annoying as hell.

clarkydaz

Or because it's exactly what the last three managers have said and we all see with our own eyes every single summer and with players contracts. We're run horrendously from a footballing point of view, no doubt about it.

Some of you need to wake up.
G Neville has been vocal about it recently aswell

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think that having alot of scouts is a problem really. The problem would be if the money men are taking football related decisions.

littleman

Don't really care.

When Ole was in and got success, a huge sub group talked about Phelan being the unsung hero. And for some reason Carrick and Mckenna also seen as geniuses.

Rocky few weeks and Ole is the only one being blamed.. MP nowhere to be seen.

Let Ole build how he sees fit

sam147

Don't really care.

When Ole was in and got success, a huge sub group talked about Phelan being the unsung hero. And for some reason Carrick and Mckenna also seen as geniuses.

Rocky few weeks and Ole is the only one being blamed.. MP nowhere to be seen.

Let Ole build how he sees fit
I think more people should question Carrick and Mckenna. Jose was at fault in his poor man management. However, we looked really poor at creating and finishing chances at the start of the season. This coincided with Faria leaving and Carrick/Mckenna having more of a role. The style of play is still very similar to how it was under Jose. I dont think we are playing the way Ole wants.

mark_a

We're still waiting for a sign that the club isn't still badly run. The appointment of Ole as caretaker/interim manager was a really good move, but until other good/positive decisions are made, that one just looks like it was lucky.

Steven-UK

We're still waiting for a sign that the club isn't still badly run. The appointment of Ole as caretaker/interim manager was a really good move, but until other good/positive decisions are made, that one just looks like it was lucky.
The problem is, or could be, that you can have the best builder in your house building you a new wall, but if you give him a plastic spoon instead of a trowel, then you are asking for trouble.

Our club has been handing out plastic spoons for the last 7 years.

RedNed77

Could we not just bring back Meulensteen for Phelans role if Mike doesn't want it? Assistant at United has to be a step up from assistant of the Australian NT. As long as Ole has an experienced right hand who knows what the club is about I'm not too fussed who it is.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think more people should question Carrick and Mckenna. Jose was at fault in his poor man management. However, we looked really poor at creating and finishing chances at the start of the season. This coincided with Faria leaving and Carrick/Mckenna having more of a role. The style of play is still very similar to how it was under Jose. I dont think we are playing the way Ole wants.
We were relatively poor at creating last season and had an abnormal conversion rate. We were never sustaining that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We were relatively poor at creating last season and had an abnormal conversion rate. We were never sustaining that.
Going by the popular xG model, we are good at creating chances under Ole. We have XG of 32 which is 1 less than Liverpool and 5 less than City. we are in third position.

p.s: I don't like this model, just throwing here as it's sort of popular on caf.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ole has stated that he wants Phelan, but also Carrick and Mckenna with him next season. But especially Phelan.

I sincerely hope the club gives Mike the reassurances he needs to sign on. He's an incredibly commanding figure on the training grounds.

gulli_G

Get Rene back as coach and phelan can become Director of Football.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Him being DoF will work well I think. He would still be around the team and will work with Ole in developing a longterm strategy going forward.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Makes a bit of sense, it doesn't seem like our sporting director will be responsible for actually negotiating transfers anyway, so we just need someone that can spot a player in the mould of what we need. Phelan fits the bill for that.

Eddy_JukeZ

Did Phelan ever have input on transfers before?

I've no clue the type of players he'd look to sign.

Rather get someone else.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Did Phelan ever have input on transfers before?

I've no clue the type of players he'd look to sign.

Rather get someone else.
Monchi and Zorc never had input on transfers before they were given the responsibility at Sevilla and Dortmund respectively. Both were ex players too.

Phelan at least has some experience of being a DoF in Australia, and is a former player/coach who knows the setup. He gets on well with Ole too, which shouldn't be underestimated.

OohAahMartial

Thought this was what was delaying things. He's the obvious choice. Already has done a DoF role, knows the club inside out, knows exactly what made SAF so successful and was probably involved in those transfer back then too, knows and can work well with Ole, and at his age maybe prefers this kind of role more than a coaching role.

Agree with the idea of bringing Rene back too, but ideally in place of Sbragia or Butt, if Rene was willing to do that job again.

Bojan11

Worried we going to sign a bunch of overrated British players for extreme amount of money. Fergie tried to have a group of British players towards the end of his tenure like Welbeck, Cleverley, Jones and Smalling. That didn’t really turn out great.

I rather go for Mitchell. Phelan has no top level experience of player spotting and we as a club can’t just keep throwing more money away like we done for six years. I rather get someone who has had experience at a high level and not Australia.

liamp

Not sure I'm comfortable with it.
Can't imagine why. Got that valuable year of experience with Central Coast Mariners under his belt so naturally the next step is doing the same thing at Manchester United.

pascell

Get Rene back as coach and phelan can become Director of Football.
I think this is going to happen. Phelan knows the club well, knows how things should work and the calibre of player to bring in. If he doesn't get the sporting director role then it should go to someone internally imo.

We need an rvn

I think this is going to happen. Phelan knows the club well, knows how things should work and the calibre of player to bring in. If he doesn't get the sporting director role then it should go to someone internally imo.
If the club is as poorly run as it's made out to be, then surely promoting from within it's not the way forward as what are we actually changing other than promoting a glazer/ woody **** sucker.

The Nani

Worried we going to sign a bunch of overrated British players for extreme amount of money. Fergie tried to have a group of British players towards the end of his tenure like Welbeck, Cleverley, Jones and Smalling. That didn’t really turn out great.

I rather go for Mitchell. Phelan has no top level experience of player spotting and we as a club can’t just keep throwing more money away like we done for six years. I rather get someone who has had experience at a high level and not Australia.
Same feeling I get.

That was the logic which justified buying Ashley Young.

Ominous.

crossy1686

career ending
This feels like a Fergie power move.

Solskjær will also have reservations but he will know that sticking his neck out this early on will cause too many issues, Phelan on the other hand, been there and done it already with United so he's very much doing us a favour by staying on if he decides to.

If the club appoint a technical director, that would mean less involvement on the footballing side of things for the likes of Woodward and the Glazers and more involvement on the footballing side of things for SAF and Charlton. The prospect of losing some of the coaching staff now will hopefully force the board into making an appointment and slink off back into the shadows away from the public eye.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If true tara Mike. You should be grateful to take the no 2 job after failing at Norwich and Hull. United are not the central coast mariners

crossy1686

career ending
Same feeling I get.

That was the logic which justified buying Ashley Young.

Ominous.
Ashley Young has been a great servant for us, especially for the price we paid.

Successful clubs have a spine, we don't. Look at Liverpool, their most consistent and important players are the British lads, one of which was signed from Hull. All major European clubs have a spine of nationals or native speakers within their team, no exception at Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona, Madrid etc.

We've got a mismatch of players thrown together in a shit Galactico method, like a poor PSG. We need to rebuild and we'd be way better off with a core of the best British players available.

And don't forget, this is apparently the best English group of players coming through in a long time, so much so, clubs around the world are doing their best to sign them and we're just letting it happen because we can sign Koulibaly instead...

liamp

This feels like a Fergie power move.

Solskjær will also have reservations but he will know that sticking his neck out this early on will cause too many issues, Phelan on the other hand, been there and done it already with United so he's very much doing us a favour by staying on if he decides to.
This is just...I feel like I'm on crazy pills reading some of this stuff with Phelan. After leaving us, he's failed at Norwich, failed at Hull and was the sporting director for an Australian side that currently sits at the bottom of the fecking A league. He's not doing us a favour by staying on; we're doing him a favour by resurrecting his bloody career.