Phelan doubts about signing up

passing-wind

Don't believe ant of the news surrounding this, there's no credible sources just speculation. Would take Paul Mitchell he seems the most ideal given our current situation.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Don't believe ant of the news surrounding this, there's no credible sources just speculation. Would take Paul Mitchell he seems the most ideal given our current situation.
Dont know who is the worse appointment, Phelan or our failing global scout chef. Just appoint someone fitting the job from the outside instead of putting someone partly responsible for the shambles we are in currently
Our owners are happy, the cash is flowing. Ed is doing a great job read https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/ed-woodward-manchester-united-can-6373895

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Please step into the real world. we are no longer a football club, we are a money making machine. And the guy called Ed Woodward is our DOF even though he has no idea about football the guy is an accountant

Patrick08

Ole as manager, Phelan as DOF, contracts given to Jones and Young, Ole making it clear that there will be few signings being made.....all these decisions lead to the same conclusion ie the club doesn't want to spend money or enter into costly commitments. Maybe the club is set to be sold?
More like we have a fixed budget, manage within it, and previous mismanagement ensure we will to compromise.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
I feel very passionate about my favourite football team Manchester United. And I feel terrible that the club has been taken over by someone who is just interested in making money from the club. And this arsehole Woodward pretending that he is interested in making the club better, while he continues to make us all look stupid in every transfer window. He is so obviously working for someone else (Glazers) I would love to hit him in the face. Face the facts, we are not going anywhere under the Glazer ownership, we need to shake off these leeches like crazy, get them off our backs. These people are a virus on United.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Dont know who is the worse appointment, Phelan or our failing global scout chef. Just appoint someone fitting the job from the outside instead of putting someone partly responsible for the shambles we are in currently
Woodward is our problem but he will never be sacked as he is the number 1 Glazer appointment. He can get atampon sponsor as quick as you can say hey.

Dannyboy

Woodward isn’t the problem, if he leaves the Glazers will just get someone else that’s exactly the same as Woodward. The glazers tell Woodward what they want. Now getting woody out of the football decisions is the good for the club

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Amazing that Fergie's right hand man, who was witness to the types of players and people that lead to one of our most successful periods in history, who's style of play was instantly recognisable upon returning to the club, is suddenly not good enough to be our director of football?

Some of you feckers haven't got a clue. As for recruitment. We are Manchester fecking United. Players should be honoured to even be approached by us. We're not some shite hawk club no matter what the results on the pitch says. The 75,000.00 fans every week feeling that stadium tell you how fecking big we are and we attracted both Pogba and Zlatan without CL football. Two of the biggest ego's in the game and both came to United because of who we are.

soaphroniscuss

This board, having signed outsider after outsider, playing and non-playing staff alike, now appears hell-bent on getting former Man Utd figures back into the club.

In each case, it seems like a knee-jerk reaction. For instance OGS, who I like very much, has been given the job just in time for the players to start treating him like a temp, at the most important moment of United's season. Phelan as technical director? There's no CV there for it, just as with Ole. Woodward appears to have all the instincts of a losing punchdrunk gambler in Vegas.

I see the logic of Phelan on transfers, however - Man Utd's most recent successes were built on players who became greats from playing for Manchester United. That has been utterly lost in the series of imports who have already won titles and are putting their feet up too often at the club - DiMaria, Sanchez, Pogba, Matic, Schweinsteiger, etc. Fred, OK, not doing well, but clearly he cares about being at the club and that opportunity enormously. In a way, Fellaini was the same. Signing players who are on the roundabout with dreams of Madrid or Barca, or memories of them, is no way forward.
MU Fan TV. What's not to like? :lol:

RedDevil@84

As for recruitment. We are Manchester fecking United. Players should be honoured to even be approached by us. We're not some shite hawk club no matter what the results on the pitch says. The 75,000.00 fans every week feeling that stadium tell you how fecking big we are and we attracted both Pogba and Zlatan without CL football. Two of the biggest ego's in the game and both came to United because of who we are.
No white text?? Wow!!!

RedDevil@84

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Stupid fecking megathread, how are we supposed to know that stuff about him potentially getting the DOF role is hidden in here?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Amazing that Fergie's right hand man, who was witness to the types of players and people that lead to one of our most successful periods in history, who's style of play was instantly recognisable upon returning to the club, is suddenly not good enough to be our director of football?

Some of you feckers haven't got a clue. As for recruitment. We are Manchester fecking United. Players should be honoured to even be approached by us. We're not some shite hawk club no matter what the results on the pitch says. The 75,000.00 fans every week feeling that stadium tell you how fecking big we are and we attracted both Pogba and Zlatan without CL football. Two of the biggest ego's in the game and both came to United because of who we are.
This attitude is why we find ourselves where we’re currently at.

el3mel

Hiring a Dof from inside the club will be just an image to take the full blame in public while Woodward will still be controlling everything including controlling that Dof as his pawn. That's a disaster for me. I don't know for how long any other fans can put up with Woodward lies anymore.

mariachi-19

This attitude is why we find ourselves where we’re currently at.
No, the attitude we find ourselves in, is because when that daft scottish prick in 2013 took over, he removed an entire backroom staff that was filled to the brim with winners. One of them was Mike Phelan. How many of these directors have a clue what it takes to be a footballer or a trusted adviser under the greatest manager in football? What is the point of bringing in a Director who has no clue about how the machine operates and is more inclined to follow his own personal principles. We've tried the latter with the last three managers and it clearly hasnt fecking worked.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hiring a Dof from inside the club will be just an image to take the full blame in public while Woodward will still be controlling everything including controlling that Dof as his pawn. That's a disaster for me. I don't know for how long any other fans can put up with Woodward lies anymore.
That's definitely what it would look like. He's not being rumoured for a DoF role, but Technical Director. Which sounds like a more limited remit.

No proven DoF would join us if it meant just advising Woodward while having no executive power.

hn4manunited

Phelan’s history with us and knowledge of the club should be helpful in some capacity. However, if we are going to rely on him taking on this role, it will be him learning on the job which is new to him. It is a risk for sure.

I think the pull of Manchester United for big players to come here is going to start fading if we don’t make some good solid decisions this next couple of years. Zlatan didn’t come for United. He came for Jose. I’m not 100% sure what pogba came back for.

hn4manunited

Look mate time and time again the same information kept coming around about Phelan. SAF's was the brains, Rene was the one SAF went for a second opinion, Phelan was the workhorse. There's nothing wrong with that. However, that's not even the point. Let me repeat it to you (no patronising here, my English isn't that great). We've brought an assistant manager whom after failing at Hull was rotting in some third rated club in Australia. The manager who brought him was made permanent and after that he can't stop losing. So what do we do? Instead of asking for results while bringing in top people to help him out, we end up promoting his assistant, in a job btw, he's got no experience in. Meanwhile if rumours are true we're also set to promote the coaching staff of the previous failed manager to assistant were we hope he'll help the rookie manager we've signed whose only experience in the EPL as manager is getting kicked out of Cardiff. That's utter crazy in my books.

Regarding your question, I would have gone for Paul Mitchell. He's a Manchester lad and he's been in a very similar role at Southampton and at Spurs were he was extremely successful. If Mitchell would have accepted a head of recruitment job then I would have considered adding someone like Campos as DOF as well. Meanwhile I would have kept Phelan as no 2, I would have brought Rene back in a similar role to the one he had with Sir Alex and I would have tried to persuade SAF to accept a vice president role similar to what Nedved has with Juventus. He won't be involved in the daily running at the team. On the other hand he would be a stone throw away to anyone who needs some advice.

Ole NEEDS help. The last thing he needs is people around him, whom, are learning the new job themselves.
Sensible post! I agree. Ole is new to this big of a job. He needs all the help he can get around him. Not people who are having to learn on the job for the first time. It’s compounding risk in every single department.

The real problem is Ed. All the signs point to him being an insecure leader and just holding on to everything not willing to empower people who can do certain jobs better. These types of leader will never hire people better than them because they will feel threatened.

mariachi-19

Phelan’s history with us and knowledge of the club should be helpful in some capacity. However, if we are going to rely on him taking on this role, it will be him learning on the job which is new to him. It is a risk for sure.
Any person taking this role is going to be learning on the Job, but Phelan has worked under one person who was Manager/Director/Boss so he's in a better position that most other applicants to understand how we reintroduce that mentality into our club. People seem to think that this role is just transfers. Its not. Its about creating an identity for a football club that starts at the grass roots up to the first team. I'd be intrigued to see how many people are currently judging Phelans competence based on the perceived understanding of the man. Somebody who has rarely come out in the press in anyway shape or form, who was actually decent in his role as first team manager given the shambles that Hull was when he took over and only left due to the owners complete and utter lack of investment in the club.

If he set that precedence at Hull, what chance does Ed or the Glazers have if they refuse to invest.

There is also no reason to suggest that Phelan wont bring in his own team to assist with his role. One of which might even include Paul Mitchell, but he's more interested in coaching by all accounts.

Last edited:

hn4manunited

Any person taking this role is going to be learning on the Job, but Phelan has worked under one person who was Manager/Director/Boss so he's in a better position that most other applicants to understand how we reintroduce that mentality into our club. People seem to think that this role is just transfers. Its not. Its about creating an identity for a football club that starts at the grass roots up to the first team. I'd be intrigued to see how many people are currently judging Phelans competence based on the perceived understanding of the man. Somebody who has rarely come out in the press in anyway shape or form, who was actually decent in his role as first team manager given the shambles that Hull was when he took over and only left due to the owners complete and utter lack of investment in the club.

If he set that precedence at Hull, what chance does Ed or the Glazers have if they refuse to invest.

There is also no reason to suggest that Phelan wont bring in his own team to assist with his role. One of which might even include Paul Mitchell.
Definitely not saying he couldn’t be successful. Just saying that it will be a risk.

chromepaxos

Not sure about Phelan or Carrick but Ed was the main guy during the Glazer takeover.. And yes he is currently our director of football. Even though he has not a clue about the game. He will as things stand be directing our transfers during the coming transfer window.
Geez, you need to take your meds and calm TF down. How many hysterical posts can one person fit into thread?

Woodward did the right thing and stopped Mourinho from buying even more >29-year olds than we already have. I mean, our squad is an old folk and cripples hostel already. Do you really think Woodward should have authorised the purchase of Willian and Perisic too? Jesus wept. No managing director doing his job would go that route when it was clear as day that Mou was on a short-term road to self-sabotage.

Other than that, I don't recall him announcing he had picked a player for us? As far as I recall, our failed buys were decided upon by Moyes, and even more disastrously Van Gaal, and then by Mou - i.e. a continuation of the same management model we had under Fergie.

I'm no fan of Ed but I'm always confused by this point. Who exactly has Woodward picked and recruited for himself?

RedDevil@84

Tell me where I'm wrong mate? Or are you going to continually dribble shit with no actual valid input into the discussion.
Players don't go to a club just because it has a rich history. There are no top players lining up to play for Man Utd.
Either they love the money or the results on the pitch are so magnificent that they want to come here.

The opinion that top players do not think about results, but go on the club's history is outright hilarious if not shitty.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
More like we have a fixed budget, manage within it, and previous mismanagement ensure we will to compromise.
If that is the sort of people we will keeping/bringing in then the budget is quite low. If that was the case then we are quite happy being a top 6 club

Kapardin

For our DoF, I want someone who utilizes data analytics. Preferably younger than 45. Who is shrewd, disciplined, doesn’t want the spotlight, and knows when to walk away/when to pull the trigger. Someone like this guy.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo.../michael-edwards-liverpool-fsg-klopp-12124673

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...-liverpool-sporting-director-michael-15632628
Michael Edwards is a major reason for Liverpool's current resurgence. Brilliant work by him, unfortunate that it was for Liverpool.

liamp

For our DoF, I want someone who utilizes data analytics. Preferably younger than 45. Who is shrewd, disciplined, doesn’t want the spotlight, and knows when to walk away/when to pull the trigger. Someone like this guy.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo.../michael-edwards-liverpool-fsg-klopp-12124673

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...-liverpool-sporting-director-michael-15632628
Let's be realistic. We're asking the club to step out from the English model to the continental model. We're a ways away from the American sports model.

devilish

Phelan may know nothing about data analytics but he does have experience carrying cones under sir alex

devilish

There is also no reason to suggest that Phelan wont bring in his own team to assist with his role. One of which might even include Paul Mitchell, but he's more interested in coaching by all accounts.
Hull, Cardiff, there always seem to be an excuse with these guys. I wonder what it will be when it's evident that Phelan and ole are caught out of depth

mariachi-19

Hull, Cardiff, there always seem to be an excuse with these guys. I wonder what it will be when it's evident that Phelan and ole are caught out of depth
What the feck do you expect Phelan to do when he rocked into the season with something like 14 first team players? He's still won manager of the Month in August 2016 with that shit show and got them to the semi finals of the League Cup.

Irrespective, his job is not to coach or manage. He'll have feck all to do with the actual first team aside from give directions on policy and procedure for the long term benefit of the club.

fallengt

Promoting someone with the club means Woodward doesn't want to give up his power.
He wants a yes man whom he can control & take blame when thing go wrong. That's nothing to get excited about.

And why is United's way important nowadays anyway? Our philosophy was heavily relied on having the best manager. Ask yourself why only two managers ever succeeded with it and why it instantly collapsed the moment Fergie retired

Club badly need someone who can modernize its structure, brings fresh ideas into the game. This "DoF talk" has been going on for few years yet they couldnt come up with any name but Mick Phelan, it says a lot about the lack of long-term plan more than anything. The board literally have no idea what they are doing and just want to stuck in the past.