Phelan doubts about signing up

Mainoldo

Exactly. Ajax is basically his 'home' club in his home country and a big club in their own right. He ended his career here and had a great time but thinking he'd leave them to come here - and like you say, for a 'lesser' job - is unrealistic.
Not even a lesser job he had kids and I life. Why is he going to move to England like he doesn’t live here he’s comfortable where he is.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
If this news is indeed true and this truly is going ahead, then the only Phelan is going to garner any respect on the world football front is to hit the sunbed an hour a day, adopt a Mediterranean dialect, invest in thousands of expensive Brioni suits and insist that everyone call him Miguel Phelanos.

RedDevil@84

I would rather they appointed someone who knows what he’s doing, with the right pedigree to take on such a job.
My point being all this DoF talk is just in papers. For all we know, Woodward wants someone who has no power as such, something like his assistant.

LJJT

When Ole first came in I was happy Phelan was along side him to provide the experience. Is it just me or does Mike seem less influential or involved this year? Seems ole chats with McKenna most and Mike just more supportive background role ? Anyone else noticed this or have I got it wrong?

Acole9

Outstanding
When Ole first came in I was happy Phelan was along side him to provide the experience. Is it just me or does Mike seem less influential or involved this year? Seems ole chats with McKenna most and Mike just more supportive background role ? Anyone else noticed this or have I got it wrong?
I've noticed it too, he seems very marginalised.

astracrazy

A few games back I had to even look up of he was with us. Thought he had left.

LJJT

A few games back I had to even look up of he was with us. Thought he had left.
thats what I was thinking too i find it odd he seems to be pushed out a bit I am surprised ole hasn’t been asked about this in press conference etc. Without Mikes influence we are so inexperienced

Revaulx

Not just Phelan. The interaction between the coaching staff that was such a joy to see in Ole’s honeymoon period has been absent for months.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
thats what I was thinking too i find it odd he seems to be pushed out a bit I am surprised ole hasn’t been asked about this in press conference etc. Without Mikes influence we are so inexperienced
It's really odd, Ole barely talks to him anymore, he seems to speak to Carrick, who just sits there and says nothing in return.

Noticed this happened after the last poor run of results.

LJJT

At the very start it was like they where a duo. It is like he’s now just in a back seat role but I don’t understand any sort of logic behind that at all.

SirMattlives

I would not read much into how they appear during the limited camera time during matches. Presumably they do most of any talking during the week, or at least I'd hope so. Regardless, I'm not sure I'd have much faith in Mikey as a brilliant tactician or coach - more a good fellow to have around (to point at things).

AkaAkuma

I thought phelan was the motivator / man manager as apposed to a tactician

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No idea if Phelan is at fault at all as it's impossible for us to determine. However hiring him was a throwback to old ideas which we need to move past IMO. He was in charge during some wonderful times, but given we have Carrick and McKenna as inexperienced coaches, our next manager needs to have a number 2 who has excelled or has some pedigree (especially if he himself doesn't) in creating a modern football team.

SAFMUTD

It's really odd, Ole barely talks to him anymore, he seems to speak to Carrick, who just sits there and says nothing in return.

Noticed this happened after the last poor run of results.
I’ve seen this too, What does even Carrick adds to the coach staff? He’s been there forever and I haven’t seen a single comment from him. He’s always quiet.