Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Classical Mechanic

2nd league start and he gets the very crucial winner.

He was a little profligate with his passing 82% pass completion, in the context of a Guardiola side anyway. He had the joint most successful dribbles along with B Silva. Lost the ball the 3rd highest number of times through dispossessions and unsuccessful touches with 4. B Silva lost ball 5 times. Sterling, who had a terrible game, lost it 12 times. He didn’t register any key passes but played a beautiful reverse pass to Sane who should have got a shot away but lost the ball.

Think his positioning needs to improve and he was better overall in his first Premier League game but I think it will be seen as a good season for him. He’s scored in the League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League and Premier League.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Not his best game for us, but he put in a shift and obviously got the decisive goal. Felt in a couple of situations he was just trying a bit too hard to force something. Understandable given he's desperate to impress.

The way he ghosts late into the box is so dangerous, and reminds me of early career Scholes. Did it for the goal and in a couple of other situations. Expect him to score 10-15 goals a season if he becomes a regular (he's now scored in PL, FA Cup, LC, and CL this season).

Treble

7 goals in all compets. That's more than some star midfielders and is quite impressive.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Of course it is. They were both empty nets from 2 yards out. Whether you have to use your feet or your head is irrelevant.
It was the run to get to the ball two yards out that was impressive. You can give credit for that rather than just dismissing the header itself.

We need an rvn

From an England perspective I'm happy he's learning from Pep and players like Silva etc - going to be a big big player in a few years along the likes of Sancho / Hudson etc.

Nero

A tap in is an empty net where the ball is rolling to goal anyway.

A diving header is anything but a tap in.
Ffs. It wasn't van Persie vs Spain in the 2016 world cup. It was an empty net from 2 yards. He's a professional footballer playing for a world class team. Imagine if he had put it wide. I'm not going to praise this. I'm not sure why people are so desperate to.

We need an rvn

Are you people bonkers? It’s a fecking tap in
He was in the right place at the right time, that's not just luck but also skill and knowledge to get yourself where you think the ball might be - didn't know if someone scored a tap in it didn't mean they had a good game. The fact he got a standing ovation and silva gave him his MOTM award to me suggests he had a decent game.

Nick7

It was a tap in. The movement before it was good though. Overall, wasn't a great game. But he's impressive

jungledrums

He was in the right place at the right time, that's not just luck but also skill and knowledge to get yourself where you think the ball might be - didn't know if someone scored a tap in it didn't mean they had a good game. The fact he got a standing ovation and silva gave him his MOTM award to me suggests he had a decent game.
I similarly wasn’t aware scoring a tap in meant he’d had a bad game. Kindly point me in the direction of the comment by anyone that has ever suggested that :lol: all Nero and I have said is that it’s a tap in. Good for him, he got his goal, but it’s a tap in. Why are tap ins a bad thing? I’m certainly not saying they are

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
He may not have had his best game overall, but the goal may be just one of the most important of all season.

We need an rvn

I similarly wasn’t aware scoring a tap in meant he’d had a bad game. Kindly point me in the direction of the comment by anyone that has ever suggested that :lol: all Nero and I have said is that it’s a tap in. Good for him, he got his goal, but it’s a tap in. Why are tap ins a bad thing? I’m certainly not saying they are
Apologies for taking your comment "are you people bonkers, it was a tap in" as a positive view on his performance. Perhaps next time say something like "it was a tap in but a good performance from the kid" rather than are you all bonkers to aid us in your thought.

jungledrums

Apologies for taking your comment "are you people bonkers, it was a tap in" as a positive view on his performance. Perhaps next time say something like "it was a tap in but a good performance from the kid" rather than are you all bonkers to aid us in your thought.
:lol:

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Ffs. It wasn't van Persie vs Spain in the 2016 world cup. It was an empty net from 2 yards. He's a professional footballer playing for a world class team. Imagine if he had put it wide. I'm not going to praise this. I'm not sure why people are so desperate to.
Are you people bonkers? It’s a fecking tap in
It was a tap in. The movement before it was good though. Overall, wasn't a great game. But he's impressive
I really hope you guys are all really really good at football.

Nick7

If that's a tap in when your team is fighting for the title.
It's a tap in no matter what the circumstances. His good movement and Aguero's sharp header allowed the chance, but it's still a tap in. It doesn't take away from the fact it was a very good goal and all three players involved did well.

Thiagoal

Can't help but see Jack Wilshere when Foden plays- which is not a good thing! Has been super hyped up but not sure he's as great as the media like to make out!

I actually think Angel Gomes would look better in this City team

Classical Mechanic

Can't help but see Jack Wilshere when Foden plays- which is not a good thing! Has been super hyped up but not sure he's as great as the media like to make out!

He’s not much like Wilshere aside from his diminutive stature and low centre of gravity. Wilshere is more of a combative midfielder and it took him over 80 career games to score as many goals as Foden has managed whilst only starting 9 games for City. Wilshere hasn’t ever scored more than 5 in a season.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Hang about. “Scored more goals than Wilshere”

Five of his goals this year have come against:

Burton
Newport
Rotherham

Another against Schalke in a 7-0 win.

Classical Mechanic

Fair enough but I don’t think Foden scoring those goals against these teams necessary means anything about his future potential.
I never said it did. I was disagreeing that he’s like Wilshere because he isn’t aside from one aspect. In fact Foden often played as an inside forward for England and excelled there. I think he’s better in that position personally.

Kaglish10

Wilshire wasn't as productive as Foden. Foden has a higher ceiling than him.

He may not have had a good game in the midfield today which wasn't helped by City's little mobility in the midfield, especially after de bruyne left the pitch. I think Foden looked pretty decent with de bruyne on the pitch until City had both Fernandinho and Gundogan who weren't as mobile as de bruyne. Even David Silva tends to always struggle whenever he played alongside both Gundogan and Fernandinho in midfield (City fans would agree with me on this) hence, it's not strange to see a 18yr old Phil struggle also. One of Fernandinho and Gundogan should play, not both.

I actually rate Foden higher than Wilshire.