Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Not sure about that, if he wants a career at City (and that spot is up for grabs with Silva getting older), it is arguably more beneficial to him to train at City, be coached by Pep, even if it means less game time.
They have such a specific style of play that loaning him to a counter attacking team or a Burnley won’t do him any good and will set him a year back in terms of the City style of play, and the press and the possession and whatnot.
Maybe a loan to Norwich could work to an extent?

Their training sessions are probably at a much higher level than most teams’ competitive matches.

So no loan but maybe he should go on loan? :lol:

You're right though. A loan at Leeds(I know they're hated here) under Bielsa would do him wonders

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why can't Gomes get a game over the likes of an underperforming Lingard or Mata? He's a year older than CHO at Chelsea, and Man United seem to be crying out for a creative spark. Ole not a fan?

Going back to Foden, he needs a January loan.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
How so? Because he plays world-class players in his place?
No, but because Pep consistently lies to Foden and the press. Just like he used to lie to Keita and the press at Barca.

Instead of being honest and saying that Foden simply isn't good enough for a starting spot and taking responsibility for refusing to allow Foden to play, he does the exact opposite. He claims that Foden is the most talented player he's ever seen and that it's Foden's fault, yes, Foden's fault that he's not being played. He attacked Foden as being too weak and said that Foden should pound on his door and ask to be played if he wants to play. Foden was obviously shocked by this amount of cowardice from Pep but if he looked at how Keita described Pep, he shouldn't be surprised.

Keita was hailed by Pep as the best player in his team, which was a brazen lie obviously. It was a tactic to keep Keita from leaving Barca because Pep needed him just in case Xavi or Iniesta got injured. He left Keita rotting on the bench until he was duly needed. Keita only lashed out at Pep after he left for this disgusting treatment. When Pep arrived at City, he convinced Toure that he is by far his best player and that he should stay, the moment that the opportunity to leave passed Toure by, he informed Toure that he will not be playing first team and that he didn't even make the Champions League squad. Toure and his agent were so shocked that they lashed out at Pep publicly for the betrayal. Pep of course, in his mind didn't do anything wrong so demanded a public apology from Toure or else he will never play again.

Pep is a brilliant tactical coach but he is also a master of selfish deception. He's happy to consistently lie to his own players to prevent them from leaving, once they take him at his word and stay, he screws them over. Foden (even though I agree with Pep's real private assessment that he's actually not good enough to start in a big team & that he's kinda overrated) should still get the hell out Man City for his own good.

In Rainbows

Forget the media in your country. A certain Sancho is shocking Europe and the bundesliga. Yet when they were at the same under age tournament, there was no doubt who the best player in the whole gig was. Foden is the furthest thing from mere hype. Only severe injury or lack of game time can block him proving special.
Sancho left the tournament early as Dortmund recalled him.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
No, but because Pep consistently lies to Foden and the press. Just like he used to lie to Keita and the press at Barca.

Instead of being honest and saying that Foden simply isn't good enough for a starting spot and taking responsibility for refusing to allow Foden to play, he does the exact opposite. He claims that Foden is the most talented player he's ever seen and that it's Foden's fault, yes, Foden's fault that he's not being played. He attacked Foden as being too weak and said that Foden should pound on his door and ask to be played if he wants to play. Foden was obviously shocked by this amount of cowardice from Pep but if he looked at how Keita described Pep, he shouldn't be surprised.

Keita was hailed by Pep as the best player in his team, which was a brazen lie obviously. It was a tactic to keep Keita from leaving Barca because Pep needed him just in case Xavi or Iniesta got injured. He left Keita rotting on the bench until he was duly needed. Keita only lashed out at Pep after he left for this disgusting treatment. When Pep arrived at City, he convinced Toure that he is by far his best player and that he should stay, the moment that the opportunity to leave passed Toure by, he informed Toure that he will not be playing first team and that he didn't even make the Champions League squad. Toure and his agent were so shocked that they lashed out at Pep publicly for the betrayal. Pep of course, in his mind didn't do anything wrong so demanded a public apology from Toure or else he will never play again.

Pep is a brilliant tactical coach but he is also a master of selfish deception. He's happy to consistently lie to his own players to prevent them from leaving, once they take him at his word and stay, he screws them over. Foden (even though I agree with Pep's real private assessment that he's actually not good enough to start in a big team & that he's kinda overrated) should still get the hell out Man City for his own good.
Keita got a lot of minutes under Guardiola. Keita was usually his first sub and was used to rest Iniesta or to defend a lead. He started when they needed an extra man as well. Iniesta would start as LW and drift inward to control the midfield even more

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Keita got a lot of minutes under Guardiola. Keita was usually his first sub and was used to rest Iniesta or to defend a lead. He started when they needed an extra man as well. Iniesta would start as LW and drift inward to control the midfield even more
In 2010-11 he had more appearances than any other Barca player apparently.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
In 2010-11 he had more appearances than any other Barca player apparently.
You and Abe144 are both right, he did make a lot of minutes by coming from substitutes bench. But that's the whole point haha. Nobody wants a career as a cover for the first starting XI. That's the whole issue. That's why Keita felt rightly betrayed. He was told he was first team material, when he clearly wasn't. If Foden wants that treatment, he should stay at Man City.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
You and Abe144 are both right, he did make a lot of minutes by coming from substitutes bench. But that's the whole point haha. Nobody wants a career as a cover for the first starting XI. That's the whole issue. That's why Keita felt rightly betrayed. He was told he was first team material, when he clearly wasn't. If Foden wants that treatment, he should stay at Man City.
Well, I don't for a minute doubt that Guardiola and many other top managers would keep players for their own selfish reasons even when that might be detrimental to the said player's career.

ExecutionerWasp001

Well, I don't for a minute doubt that Guardiola and many other top managers would keep players for their own selfish reasons even when that might be detrimental to the said player's career.
I remember a certain SAF signing RVP by promising he would be at Utd for a few more years. I think he knew it was going to his last season at Utd & he wanted to make sure he went out with the win. If he'd told RVP he was retiring he would have likely lost him to City & ended up with 12 rather than 13 titles. Most managers will do what is right for their careers to the detriment of their players.

You would have to think that Foden is clever enough to see through Pep's bluff & bluster. The fact is nobody has seen enough of him in 1st team action to say how good he really is. The only pressure game he's started was the home game with Leicester. He was hooked early as he was unable to cope & looked uncomfortable. We won't know how good Foden is until he gets a consistent run of full games against good opposition.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I remember a certain SAF signing RVP by promising he would be at Utd for a few more years. I think he knew it was going to his last season at Utd & he wanted to make sure he went out with the win. If he'd told RVP he was retiring he would have likely lost him to City & ended up with 12 rather than 13 titles. Most managers will do what is right for their careers to the detriment of their players.

You would have to think that Foden is clever enough to see through Pep's bluff & bluster. The fact is nobody has seen enough of him in 1st team action to say how good he really is. The only pressure game he's started was the home game with Leicester. He was hooked early as he was unable to cope & looked uncomfortable. We won't know how good Foden is until he gets a consistent run of full games against good opposition.
But Pep hardly even tries. PEP has enough superstars to carry him. But he'd rather player his best players, inin a lot of games they don't need to start, over pairing two of his back up star midfielders with a Foden. The amazing thing too is he gets no stick from the press for that ish.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He didn't know it was his last season. He said it few times that he made decision during that season (I think in december) when his Wife's sister or best friend died.

Classical Mechanic

Forget the media in your country. A certain Sancho is shocking Europe and the bundesliga. Yet when they were at the same under age tournament, there was no doubt who the best player in the whole gig was. Foden is the furthest thing from mere hype. Only severe injury or lack of game time can block him proving special.
Sancho left the tournament early as Dortmund recalled him.
Sancho also won the best player at the u17 Euros a few months before the u17 World Cup in which they both played. Foden was slightly disappointing in that tournament for me. That said, I think they're both on a similar level of potential.

Well now with De Bruyne out and Fernandinho needed in defence, we will see how many minutes he will get in important games.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I honestly think he has great potential to be left back.

Left back on the bench.

ExecutionerWasp001

He didn't know it was his last season. He said it few times that he made decision during that season (I think in december) when his Wife's sister or best friend died.
He is going to say that though isn't he. It would make him look bad if he declared he mislead a player to further his own ends. It's the same as what Pep is doing to Foden. Declaring that he's a great player but hardly giving him any game time. If he tells Foden that he's not good enough to be a regular first teamer he knows that he'll start looking to move, possibly strengthening a rival.

I think SAF would have retired had we won the league in 11/12. I don't think though that he could face going out with a loss & having people make the assumption that he was running from Mancini. He knew with the addition of RVP that the squad had 1 more opportunity. He could also see the landscape changing. The squad would have needed large investment to challenge in 13/14. The day's of modest transfer spends were gone. We would have been challenging for CL qualification rather than the league & that's not what SAF was about.

Sir Scott McToMinay

No midfielder on the planet could’ve displaced the Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta trio, nope, there was no one around good enough, surely not Keita, he still got a lot of minutes, a lot...

I don’t know what’s happening at City behind the scenes, because quite frankly I couldn’t care less, but unless Pep signs David Silva’s direct replacement, that spot in the team is up for grabs and perhaps Foden could be the one to take it if he is good enough.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is going to say that though isn't he. It would make him look bad if he declared he mislead a player to further his own ends. It's the same as what Pep is doing to Foden. Declaring that he's a great player but hardly giving him any game time. If he tells Foden that he's not good enough to be a regular first teamer he knows that he'll start looking to move, possibly strengthening a rival.

I think SAF would have retired had we won the league in 11/12. I don't think though that he could face going out with a loss & having people make the assumption that he was running from Mancini. He knew with the addition of RVP that the squad had 1 more opportunity. He could also see the landscape changing. The squad would have needed large investment to challenge in 13/14. The day's of modest transfer spends were gone. We would have been challenging for CL qualification rather than the league & that's not what SAF was about.
Yeah who needs truth or what the manager says when we can build a narrative out of nothing.

Not sure how what Pep did is comparable to SAF retiring.

SAF won league with ease and somehow he was scared of City because they were hiring mighty Pellegrini? Which clubs would be challenging if SAF didn't retire?

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It doesn't matter what his potential is, he will never reach it at City. As great of a manager as Pep is, he sucks at developing talent. Are you going to tell me that Foden can't start against any of the teams in this league on the bottom half of the table? If he is ever going to reach his potential, he will have to leave City and I just happen to know of a club not too far from him where he will get every opportunity to develop as a premier league player...

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Always looks so good on the ball, surprised that he doesn't start more games under Pep. Only two prem starts and 4 cup starts this season, if he's Silva's replacement, then I expect to see him start more games during the second half of the season. Can see him as a regular starter for England after this season, probably in the Euro's squad, will be there for 10 years at least.

Roughseas

Never been impressed by him. Doubt he will ever be a top top player.
Pep is just doing something similar to SAF with Jones.

DVG7

So apparently Brandon Williams has more PL minutes this season than foden has had in his career so far. What’s the story here? Thought he was a generational talent?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
His career is going to die at City under Pep.

He needs to just go in summer. No loans, just leave.

If Pep was serious about replacing Silva with Foden he'd be playing more now.

passing-wind

It's a shame really he's easily an elite talent in his age bracket, but his sentimentality is what will stall his career. Should use the likes of Sancho as a blueprint if he's got any ambition outside of bench warming. Funny thing is you could throw Gomes in exactly the same conversation hence we will likely lose him this summer in favour of Lingard, Mata and Pereira, thanks Ole.

AshRK

I thought Pep develops youth but so far at City I don't see any of that.

Pep's Suit

His career is going to die at City under Pep.

He needs to just go in summer. No loans, just leave.

If Pep was serious about replacing Silva with Foden he'd be playing more now.
Of course. City are 30 points behind Pool but Foden still doesn't play. However somehow next season when Pep will be desperate to prove something Foden can start 20-25 games because... Logic?

DVG7

It's a shame really he's easily an elite talent in his age bracket, but his sentimentality is what will stall his career. Should use the likes of Sancho as a blueprint if he's got any ambition outside of bench warming. Funny thing is you could throw Gomes in exactly the same conversation hence we will likely lose him this summer in favour of Lingard, Mata and Pereira, thanks Ole.
Not comparable to Gomes at all. Gomes has looked an elite player against players his age, whereas foden has looked a cut above most players on the park at times he’s appeared in senior competitive games.

people want Gomes to be a good player, whereas foden is one. If Gomes were good enough, he’d be in the squads, it’s not some agenda he’s just not that good yet.

Pep's Suit

But to be fair... Pep can play whoever he wants so I'd rather question Foden's mentality. Played just 125 PL mins in last two months (9 games). Just seems like somehow who's happy to be there. What's the worst case scenario for him? City sign F. Torres or Aouar this summer, Foden stays for another 2-3 years and then joins Everton on 80K p/w?

romufc

I thought Pep develops youth but so far at City I don't see any of that.
Yep, that's what everyone used to say to use in an argument V Jose. However; in the last few years Jose has brought through more youngsters than Pep.

Pep has not really developed anyone since his Barca days when he brought through Busquets.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bit of a joke really. The kid looks insanely talented and he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet if he played for us :lol:

You'd think City would be desperate to have "1 of their own" as their poster boys but he hardly ever plays. I get that city have an insane amount of talent in their squad but does he should really be finding more minutes for the lad.

AshRK

Yep, that's what everyone used to say to use in an argument V Jose. However; in the last few years Jose has brought through more youngsters than Pep.

Pep has not really developed anyone since his Barca days when he brought through Busquets.
I thought this would be his breakout season considering he did show his talent last season. Extremely surprised how little Pep has trusted him, especially when Liverpool are going to win the league and Silva will leave next year.

romufc

I thought this would be his breakout season considering he did show his talent last season. Extremely surprised how little Pep has trusted him, especially when Liverpool are going to win the league and Silva will leave next year.
Agreed, I would have thought he would get similar game time as Greenwood.

The surprising thing was when he was not used in the league cup semi final.

Surely, now he must start games till the end of the season? nothing to play for in the league.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Must be tough choice for this kid. Pep talks like he'll be trusting him to start next season, but doesn't show it one bit. Should he ask to get loaned, should he stay?

Bet he's regretting not making similar carreer choices as Sancho.

izec

Maybe his attitude isnt right. If he was talented enough and put in a shift in training, no doubt Pep would play him

Classical Mechanic

Maybe his attitude isnt right. If he was talented enough and put in a shift in training, no doubt Pep would play him
Pep says that he's too shy, still acts like a doe-eyed schoolgirl round him dreaming of rubbing his bald head.

I think he lacks ambition personally. Signed his contract too quickly and is happy just to be there.

That and Pep has no interest in developing young players.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It'll be interesting to see what impact his current lack of first-team football will have on his development longer term. Of top attacking midfielders who came through at top clubs, I can only think of Scholes and Iniesta who had seen as comparatively little action at the same age of 19 years old. And even they shifted quite quickly from there to becoming established fixtures in the first XI, albeit Scholes took a little longer to fully establish himself. So it's do-able, but I think reliant on him becoming first-choice within six months, as otherwise generally speaking you'll struggle to find any world class midfielders who weren't playing every week in the top tier at 19.