Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

croadyman

I really thought he would get a proper chance this season with Silva leaving at the end of it, I expected City to phase him in and give him more minutes but it just hasn't worked out that way. Would be very surprised if he got the call up for the euros because Southgate has got pretty much nothing to go on.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems like Phil Foden has played even less than last season despite all Man. City's injuries. Be interested to see his starts compared to this time last year.

I get he's a City fanboy but last season he hung around bit part to win a few trophies so don't really get why a year on he's content to do the same again.

Should've gone on loan in January. I remember when Wilshere was a similar age and he went to Bolton for six months, played every week and then came back and was regular starter at Arsenal the next season. Could've become more serious contender for England at the euros aswell.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Seems like Phil Foden has played even less than last season despite all Man. City's injuries. Be interested to see his starts compared to this time last year.
SeasonPL startsCL startsFA Cup startsLeague Cup startsCom Shield startsTotal
2018/19​
0​
1​
2​
4​
1​
8​
2019/20​
2​
2​
2​
3​
0​
9​

arthurka

What is wrong with young players sticking there, they will never ever get their chance no matter how good they are. Sancho would still be rotting away in the youth setup.

Pep's Suit

You look at him and it's obvious he's not a rocket scientist. Ffs he had his first kid aged 18. Quite obvious he's just happy to be a part of the team and make 80K a week. Can't blame him, though. But he won't become a world-class player, just lacks that drive and motivation.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He should've done a Sancho and left IMO. He really should be playing regularly and somewhere like France or Germany would've been good for him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I would think with City’s finances, that he probably has some off the books stuff to keep him happy. It’s the same thing with Aguero and Silva, why they never got their heads turned.

He is probably on 150k a week off the record and I would challenge anyone not to be content with that. No pressure and looked after handsomely for appearing in a few hilarious promo vids and calendars. Not bad!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Eh if Silva leaves and he's not playing next season then he needs to leave. Tempted to say that he should start every PL game seeing that Liverpool have the league in the bag but City need every game they can to prep for their CL games.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
SeasonPL startsCL startsFA Cup startsLeague Cup startsCom Shield startsTotal
2018/19​
0​
1​
2​
4​
1​
8​
2019/20​
2​
2​
2​
3​
0​
9​
That's not correct. He started v Spurs in premier league in April 2019. Scored the winner after five minutes.

Edit: Sorry me being thick as I said "this time last year." :lol: Sorry @Damien .

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
He's the one reason I don't think Pep is staying. If Silva is exiting stage left at the end of the season, then put some minutes into Foden's legs. It's a no-brainer if you are trying to build a team for the future. It hasn't happened.

GledTheRed

:lol:
made me laugh out loud

obviously a proper red
It's done to death, if he was that good surely he would be playing instead of Gundagon? Pep is not picking him because he has better players at his disposal, simple as that.

Same applies with Gomes for us, if he was taking the piss when he played he would play far more.

Last edited:

GledTheRed

He's the one reason I don't think Pep is staying. If Silva is exiting stage left at the end of the season, then put some minutes into Foden's legs. It's a no-brainer if you are trying to build a team for the future. It hasn't happened.
They will just buy someone for 60 million.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Didn't get it why didn't City loaned him to Sporting. If they're not using him despite all injuries, might just benefit both parties to loan him for half season with a anytime recall clause.

Denis' cuff

It's done to death, if he was that good surely he would be playing instead of Gundagon? Pep is not picking him because he has better players at his disposable, simple as that.

Same applies with Gomes for us, if he was taking the piss when he played he would play far more.
I know, mate. you said it with such conviction.

;)

Based Adnan

I don't know why his team believe Pep when he says Foden is Silva's replacement. Barely played this season but expects him to replace Silva next season? Absolute rubbish

crossy1686

career ending
The leagues gone and he still can't get a game? He's either not good enough or Pep simply can't be arsed developing him because he know's the owners have deep pockets.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Most times when a youngster isn't playing the natural and almost always correct conclusion is that they aren't good enough. Its hard to conclude that here though because Foden looks a special talent pretty much every time he plays for them. Odd how this is being handled given how Sancho has come on after leaving them.

Suvvernmanc

Got the start in the cup final. Playing wide right/wing and is having a great game so far.

LVGSdive

He has to go to the Euros this year. He is a generational talent who will be one of the best players in the world in 3-5 years.

Suvvernmanc

He has to go to the Euros this year. He is a generational talent who will be one of the best players in the world in 3-5 years.
Doubt he will go. Still hasn't played enough to warrant a place. England are stacked with talent in midfield.

Irrational.

Doubt he will go. Still hasn't played enough to warrant a place. England are stacked with talent in midfield.
Yep, hard to see who he'd replace: Maddison, Grealish, Henderson, Alli, AOC, Mount, Winks, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Rice, Dier, Delph, Chalobah, Ward-Prowse, Rice, Longstaff and our very own JLingz are all players who would be ahead of him in the midfield pecking order.

LVGSdive

Doubt he will go. Still hasn't played enough to warrant a place. England are not are stacked with talent in midfield.
Edited for you. I'll go one step further as I'd even start Foden in the Euros.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yep, hard to see who he'd replace: Maddison, Grealish, Henderson, Alli, AOC, Mount, Winks, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Rice, Dier, Delph, Chalobah, Ward-Prowse, Rice, Longstaff and our very own JLingz are all players who would be ahead of him in the midfield pecking order.
He looks better than most of them already

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Then why isn't he playing for City?
Most of those players wouldn't get in the City side either. The competition for England's midfield is not very strong, the competition for City's is. There's no great mystery there. Playing Silva instead of him is like playing Scholes instead of Pogba. The experienced players are more reliable and the focus is on short term success.

Suvvernmanc

Edited for you. I'll go one step further as I'd even start Foden in the Euros.
Err yeah we are stacked. Maddison, Mount, Grealish and Ali are all playing football every week and southgate has said, if you dont play you won't play with us. He's a talent but has never played against a team like France, Croatia, Germany etc.. we have no idea how he will cope.

Suvvernmanc

Their might be case to take him for experience of the tournament etc.. but as we have 3 or 4 top players playing every week, southgate wont backtrack on his rule of not playing players who dont play for their club.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I like Grealish, Henderson will go for his experience (if nothing else), Alli (on previous form probably).

Ignoring that a lot of them play in a different position to him, I'd take Foden ahead of all the others including Maddison (never got the hype with him to be honest) and some of them are nowhere near Fodens ability even Rice who's on your list twice :)

padr81

Supports
Man City
Best player with on the pitch today imho, at least in an attacking sense. Needs to play more, we have nothing to play for in the PL so I don't see why he's benched.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Foden's a weird one because I feel he could become their Stevie G but he's going to struggle with City's policy of buying players in their prime.

Maybe if City get hit with sanctions we'll see them turn to players like Foden who can become regulars

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He had a great game. Showed he's just not a CM with intelligent drifting along the right.

Really should be playing somewhere week in week out. If he was he'd be making the England squad ahead of likes of Winks.