Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

In Rainbows

I consider the 2003 group to be far ahead than the 2000 group.
How so?

2000 - Sancho, Foden, CHO, Gomes, McEachran, Brewster, Gibbs White, Sessegnon, Smith Rowe
2003 - Elliot, Bellingham, Barry, Musiala, Dembele, Delap,

The 2000 group was considered the class of the international youth sides at the time. It wasn't even in contention. Personally, I rate the top talents of 2000 above the 2003 group, and the depth of the 2000 group is slightly deeper to me. From a technical ability standpoint, the 2000 group is superior.

Delap is superior to Brewster and Loader, and the wingers Sancho, Sessegnon (played as LB), and CHO are better to me than Elliot, Barry, and Dembele. I'm not as high on Dembele as when we first heard of him compared to Elliot. Foden, or Gomes to me were more impressive than Musiala. Superior technicians with superior vision. The midfield of the 2000 group don't stand a chane to Bellingham. Oakley Booth, Kirby, Skipp, etc... don't really hold a candle to Bellingham.

It's hard for me to compare defenders so I usually leave them out of it.

Looking back at the 2002 group, man it's pretty weak compared to 2000, 2001, and 2003.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Football Focus are doing a piece on him at the moment and they opened on a wide shot of...Stockport :lol:

Irrational.

Seriously, this guy is wasting his career at City. It's such a shame to see him lose out on gametime against Lyon tonight and not even get a single minute when he was arguably one of City's best players against Madrid.

Utter, utter waste. If he had half a brain cell, he'd be angling for a move away in the same way that Sancho did. He's not going to realise his insane potential at City.

Pep trusts and believes more in the likes of Gundogan and Rodri, which is ridiculous.

If I was Ole I'd be keeping a close eye on his situation over the next year or two.

Walters_19_MuFc

When it came to City's biggest game of the year, we all saw how much Pep trusts Foden. He wont leave because he's a City fan and all that bollocks, but given the form he's shown over the last few weeks, it surprises me that he didn't at the very least feature in today's game.

TrustInOle

Seriously, this guy is wasting his career at City. It's such a shame to see him lose out on gametime against Lyon tonight and not even get a single minute when he was arguably one of City's best players against Madrid.

Utter, utter waste. If he had half a brain cell, he'd be angling for a move away in the same way that Sancho did. He's not going to realise his insane potential at City.

Pep trusts and believes more in the likes of Gundogan and Rodri, which is ridiculous.

If I was Ole I'd be keeping a close eye on his situation over the next year or two.
I'd also be giving a cheeky word in the ear of his agent that there is a nice bonus waiting on him not renewing his contract :angel:

Irrational.

I'd also be giving a cheeky word in the ear of his agent that there is a nice bonus waiting on him not renewing his contract :angel:
He's a Greenwood level talent playing in midfield - I'd be all aboard! :drool:

We need to start breaking down his blind loyalty to City. What have they done for him apart from giving him a comfy seat on the bench?

RUCK4444

He's a Greenwood level talent playing in midfield - I'd be all aboard! :drool:

We need to start breaking down his blind loyalty to City. What have they done for him apart from giving him a comfy seat on the bench?
How do you come to be a City fan anyway? It must be forced upon one would assume. Poor lad.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

If Foden was to decide he'd had enough he'd have an endless list of suitors. Not a chance he'd sign for United. None.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know he’s a boyhood fan but if I were him I’d start making a bit of noise. He doesn’t have to leave but just make enough to make City aware. He’s far too good to be sitting on the bench.

Not that it will happen - apparently he's turned down loan moves to both us and Spurs in recent years.

Last edited:

wolvored

If I were him I would give it another season and if I'm starting regularly then great. If I'm only getting game time here and there or a sub role then a big discussion with my agent would ensue to start the ball rolling to get me out of there. Pep might even leave if they don't win the big 2 next season

Irrational.

If Foden was to decide he'd had enough he'd have an endless list of suitors. Not a chance he'd sign for United. None.
What makes you say that? The fact that he's a City fan? Where else do you think he could end up?

Stranger things have happened.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
What's a Stone Island wanker?
It's a term used by people who don't know how to dress/can't tell the quality of clothes. Or simply want to sound 'ard men.

For all streetwear fashion stuff, which is obviously connected to this thread, Stone Island actually produces superb quality clothes, many of which are plain and simple (which is good).

Just two cents from a Stone Island wanker:cool:.

EDIT: An example of a Stone Island wanker, Mr. Spielberg.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

This control was great from a Maguire spoon pass so high it went off camera

Nice second goal too, this is why I think he’s better on the right cutting on to his left

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Another top display in Europe from Phil. Man of the match and the game winning goal.

Lee565

Looking very much like a young Scholes at the moment. Seriously if southgate can grow some balls and not be so negative with his team selections of playing 7 to 8 defensive players against the better national sides then england would have a brilliant midfield and attack going into the euro's at this rate

Pep's Suit

Much, much better than Bernardo yesterday who was once again absolutely invisible.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
He is - once Pep decides to rest some players. :)

In fairness, I think his gametime has been largely distributed well this and last season.
We (England) need more minutes for him at the club therefore my comment ;)

Of course there are currently few better players than him at the club but you can spend more money again for the defence if Foden is a "Starting XI player"......of course right now it's unlikely that Foden leaves the club but he would play still much more in every other club apart from Bayern Munich, Barca and Real Madrid.

passing-wind

Surprised he's not mentioned more some of his performances this season have been truly world class. If Southgate can't get anything out of the England midfield it would be a catastrophe.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is 21 in 6 months time. He should be starting regularly now. It was fine talking about his easing in and distributing minutes as a teenager, but he is getting to the age where you would really want him to be in the starting eleven now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He is 21 in 6 months time. He should be starting regularly now. It was fine talking about his easing in and distributing minutes as a teenager, but he is getting to the age where you would really want him to be in the starting eleven now.
He's played 788 minutes this season out of 1440 possible.

For comparison -
Gundogan - 422
Bernardo - 600
Ferran Torres - 768

Only Rodri, KDB, Sterling and Mahrez have played more than him in midfield or attacking positions. He's our 4th most used attacker and started 8 games this season already. With us likely to play 50 odd games he's on course to start over 25 and play in over 45.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

For comparison -
Gundogan - 422
Bernardo - 600
Ferran Torres - 768

Only Rodri, KDB, Sterling and Mahrez have played more than him in midfield or attacking positions. He's our 4th most used attacker and started 8 games this season already. With us likely to play 50 odd games he's on course to start over 25 and play in over 45.
He's done better than all the players you've listed apart from KDB (and possibly Rodri). That says a lot.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

For comparison -
Gundogan - 422
Bernardo - 600
Ferran Torres - 768

Thats good to see. Hopefully he continues that trajectory and continues to get starts in the bigger games. I think he deserves it when compared to some of those names.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Thats good to see. Hopefully he continues that trajectory and continues to get starts in the bigger games. I think he deserves it when compared to some of those names.
Yeah my worry for the lad is if Bernardo or Gundo hit top form, then he'll find it really hard to get game time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@padr81 what did he do yesterday to get some love from pep? I didnt watch the match so not sure how well he played.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Another top class performance from Foden tonight. Lovely goal and a nice assist. He's still only 20 too.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Another top class performance from Foden tonight. Lovely goal and a nice assist. He's still only 20 too.
I don't think he had a great game, lovely assist though and a lovely goal though it would have been ruled offside if the Var had been used (i don't understand why it isn't used before the semi finals either).