Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

dbs235

He's quality, would like to see him be a bit more direct and agressive though. Plays it safe too often when he has the technical ability to do much more.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Good game from him tonight but he has to bring that 2nd half level more often, for now he has too many off games to his on games.

eire-red

He has that unique ability to just glide with the ball, deceptively quick. A bit erratic with his final ball at times. Be interesting to see how he develops in the coming years, and which out of Foden, Saka and Greewood will reach the higher level.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Feels like he's started even less in the league than previous two seasons but could be wrong.

1 start since 17th October in premier league. :eek:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Feels like he's started even less in the league than previous two seasons but could be wrong.

1 start since 17th October in premier league. :eek:
He started 12 games, and 5 sub appearance on all competition this season, scored 6 goals too. It’s not really bad at all.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Should be one of the first names on City’s team sheet. They always look so much more dangerous and have a sense of urgency when he plays.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Has played plenty of games this season. Such as Bernardo has been struggling for gametime also so can't play everyone.
Two things that are holding Phil back a little are not too many injuries in midfield so rotation is a real issue there plus Pep's wish to stem the flow of breakaway goals conceded (something like 1 goal conceded in our last 8 matches) meaning that 2 DM's in most games leaving room for only one AM which is usually KDB.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He started 12 games, and 5 sub appearance on all competition this season, scored 6 goals too. It’s not really bad at all.
Yeah he's been a regular in champions league and seems Pep trusts him more in that environment given he started second leg of Real Madrid game last season. Just think given he's playing well and scoring that should also mean a start for following league game but it really hasn't happened much so far this season bar the opening couple he started.

Think from dodgy opening games he concluded balance wasn't quite right in midfield so Foden has to miss out for now.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He should leave. He is 21 in 5 months and can’t become a proper starter in a very average City team.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think he’s ever really had a true run of games under Guardiola, and I just don’t think he ever will. He plays a decent amount as the stats above in some of the posts say, but I just don’t think Guardiola will ever see him as a first choice midfielder in his side.

This season he has only consistently finished 90 minutes for at least 2+ games twice. And this is probably the most likely chance he’d have got, you’d imagine with City yet to sign a Silva replacement. Last season he only played 90 minutes for 2+ games one time — and that was gameweeks 36 and 37...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think we were one of a few clubs that asked for him on loan last January. Would love to try get him, wonderful player.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Can’t see City selling him because it’s clear he’s a talent, but equally not sure he’ll ever be a regular starter under Pep

Judas

Open to offers
Pep loves him so so so much, and yet he still doesn't give him anywhere near the game time he needs in a City side far and away from being at their best.

We've got no chance of signing him, but I'd love to see him move on.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's getting plenty of minutes for his age. He's played more than Greenwood, for example.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I think he’ll start tonight vs Everton.
He’s played plenty of CL and LC games plus there have been few injuries among Attacking Midfielders recently so he’s been limited in opportunity. Such as Bernardo and Gundigan have also had to be patient and make the most of their playing time.
Ducker is just shit stirring IMO.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's getting plenty of minutes for his age. He's played more than Greenwood, for example.
Greenwood's a year and a half younger, to be fair. Like others have said, he's 21 in a few months, he probably expected to be a starter at this point and there would be no shortage of offers if he were to leave.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yeah but means nothing.

City wouldn’t sell him to us anyway. Would love Foden here though, he’s wasted at City.
He doesn’t look like an empty blue seat imo.
Just so I understand him as a player -

Do you think Foden can play as the right hand sided version of Grealish?

Say Grealish on the left as a LAM and Foden on the right as a RAM.

I ask because he is left footed but I see him on the left mostly for City trying to maybe cover the David Silva role.

Bwuk

Just so I understand him as a player - though it's a bit unrealistic like a football manager save;

I ask because he is left footed but I see him on the left mostly for City trying to maybe cover the David Silva role.
Yeah. I think most of his game time this year has come wide since City have started playing 2 DMs and he’s not playing ahead of De Bruyne at 10.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Just so I understand him as a player -

He's too direct for the Silva role at the moment. Pep alluded to this in a recent interview. Not an indictment on Foden of course, those are big shoes to fill.

That said, a team with Foden and Grealish is perfectly balanced. In that setup Grealish is more of the Silva type and Foden is more KDBish. Interested to see how Southgate leverages them at the Euros.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Briefed by one of Foden's team probably.

He's 20 and is getting decent minutes. Plenty of time.
If so I think Foden’s more likely to be thinking of his place in England squad for the summer rather than actually leaving the club.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He's too direct for the Silva role at the moment. Pep alluded to this in a recent interview. Not an indictment on Foden of course, those are big shoes to fill.

That said, a team with Foden and Grealish is perfectly balanced. In that setup Grealish is more of the Silva type and Foden is more KDBish. Interested to see how Southgate leverages them at the Euros.
Yeah I'd like to see that too.

Hopefully Southgate doesnt try to fit the 6 forwards in a formation thing with Rashford , Sancho, Kane, Greenwood, Calvert Lewin and whoever is showing some form.

Would be nice to see some creativity as the basis of our gameplay.

Pep's Suit

He's not consistent enough and can't play Gundogan's role so it's tough. Sterling starts almost every game then you have Aguero/Jesus/Torres for ST role so Foden's fighting with Mahrez, Bernardo and Torres for LM/RM.

cyberman

He's not consistent enough and can't play Gundogan's role so it's tough. Sterling starts almost every game then you have Aguero/Jesus/Torres for ST role so Foden's fighting with Mahrez, Bernardo and Torres for LM/RM.
How can he be consistent?

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
He must look over at United and see how the club beds in young players and be really frustrated.
The bedding in of Rashford and Greenwood has been helped somewhat by several expensive signings misfiring at United but let’s not derail the thread.

TheReligion

Abusive
The bedding in of Rashford and Greenwood has been helped somewhat by several expensive signings misfiring at United but let’s not derail the thread.
How many expensive signings needed to misfire for Eric Garcia to get a game?

Essentially there's no trust in young players at city and things are done very differently over at Old Trafford

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let’s get him here. Swing party with Greenwood will do the tricks.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
How many expensive signings needed to misfire for Eric Garcia to get a game?

Essentially there's no trust in young players at city and things are done very differently over at Old Trafford
Garcia wants to leave for Barcelona. He can't expect any games but still gets some much to the annoyance of many City fans.
You came on smugly about United and the way you bed in young players and I pointed out that the failure of such as Di Maria, Sanchez, Lukaku, Pogba, Depay and others has opened up spots for Rashford and Greenwood.
I’m a bit unhappy that not more young City graduates have nailed down regular first team places but when the likes of Sancho and Garcia prematurely run out on us it does change things somewhat.

TheReligion

Abusive
Garcia wants to leave for Barcelona. He can't expect any games but still gets some much to the annoyance of many City fans.
You came on smugly about United and the way you bed in young players and I pointed out that the failure of such as Di Maria, Sanchez, Lukaku, Pogba, Depay and others has opened up spots for Rashford and Greenwood.
I’m a bit unhappy that not more young City graduates have nailed down regular first team places but when the likes of Sancho and Garcia prematurely run out on us it does change things somewhat.
Garcia wants to leave as he's had zero opportunities despite you spending 100s of millions on a new defence every season.

The difference in philosophy between the two clubs is obvious so no need to try and pretend otherwise is there?