Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

Walters_19_MuFc

People are talking about City and Pep's system but is he really anything special when playing for City? If so, I'm not really seeing it.

Abraxas

People are talking about City and Pep's system but is he really anything special when playing for City? If so, I'm not really seeing it.
He's better than this. Even before getting into the detail he scores 1 in 4. It's 1 in 8.5 for England.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's a good player but one without a true role or position. Works in a Pep team that dominates the ball every game, but won't elsewhere. Also comparing to England competition, it's not like individually he's ever shown something higher than the best of Sancho/Rashford/Sterling/Grealish. They're all similar level players IMO, so you just go for best fit. All very good players, but none have shown to be consistent or a clear choice right now. On paper and past performances, I'd say Rashford is England's best bet due to the system fit. Foden for City as well is pretty easily replaceable for them, not like they have a huge variance with the others who rotate in. Not to say he's bad by any means, just not a key player or elite though.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think he's finding it a lot harder work with England. We don't have the same control of the game. There are less opportunities on the ball. No real relationship with the other forwards. It must be very different playing for City in a totally cohesive team. Simply has to play better though. Saka looks better.
Agree with this. He needs to touch the ball A LOT to start being even a tad effective, which makes him a big mismatch in Southgate's system.

tomaldinho1

I've never got the hype to be honest, he's become the Declan Rice of wide attackers. Good player, no doubt about it but plays in a system which masks his limitations. There was a thread recently about naming three unattainable players in world football you would sign for United and obviously Mbappe, Haaland, Veratti, KBD, Benzema etc. were coming up but I was genuinely amazed to see Foden in there.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
he played best for England in a deeper role forget the game but he controlled the tempo and played some great balls out wide and over the top into channels, Southgate way of currently playing is never going to suit him, but then I think the only players who benefit in Southgate's system are the defensive players.

mu4c_20le

he played best for England in a deeper role forget the game but he controlled the tempo and played some great balls out wide and over the top into channels, Southgate way of currently playing is never going to suit him, but then I think the only players who benefit in Southgate's system are the defensive players.
It was Andorra...

Skills

Snitch
Where do you see him playing long term for City? In the same position he is now, or eventually in the Bernardo/Gundogan role?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Where do you see him playing long term for City? In the same position he is now, or eventually in the Bernardo/Gundogan role?
I think he'll move inside and personally I see him in more of a Gundogan type role then Bernardo but time will tell.

I really don't see many attacking type players thriving under Southgate so all this he's just a system type player and won't thrive when Guardiola goes is a bit ott, but time will tell.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's had periods where he's been very good for them and has looked like he'll be one of their key players for the next decade. I haven't actually watched them play this season but from what I've heard he hasn't really got going yet (still early days obviously).

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The propencity to squirt over players who are technical and tidy or look 'classy' on the ball is a strange phenomenon. People are easily manipulated.
Other than the funny usage of the word squirt, I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. Yes he’s good technically, but it’s hardly something that is deceiving people, he’s obviously a very good player. Or is it a case of you do think he's a good player but his technical proficiency leads people to overrating his impact on games?

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
7 goals 3 assist in 11 games so far this season, only 22.

I don’t care if people think he is overrated/overhyped or not. He is my top 5 best player from the new generation, alongside with Mbappe, Haaland, Vinicius Junior and Pedri.

croadyman

7 goals 3 assist in 11 games so far this season, only 22.

I don’t care if people think he is overrated/overhyped or not. He is my top 5 best player from the new generation, alongside with Mbappe, Haaland, Vinicius Junior and Pedri.
Won't see best of him in England shirt until FA show that same guts with the Womens team and appoint a proactive coach again

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Awful tonight. Not sure why Pep didn’t bring on Grealish for him.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Hope Guardiola leaves at the end of the season. I want this guy to replace Modric. He can play Wing, False 9 and CM at such a high level.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hope Guardiola leaves at the end of the season. I want this guy to replace Modric. He can play Wing, False 9 and CM at such a high level.
Don’t think he can play CM at all. He’s very much a final third player

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t dare what other say, for me he is among top 5 best player from the younger generation - Mbappe, Haaland, Vinicius Jnr, Pedri, Foden.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
I'm so happy Southgate relented and played this lad, he's too good to leave out. I'd still like to see him central though.

Zoo

Such a weird player that you can’t work out. He’s not a left winger so why is he being played there. He just decorates games for a dominant City team. Talented sure but once in a generation? Nah

Nero

Shoutout to the national outcry when he wasn't starting at the beginning of the tournament.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's obviously a good people but the generational bs is a joke.

Yet again, he was outshone by Saka, who he was dropped for on the Euro's.

Good player but not someone to go crazy over.

Lecland07

Doesn't he have 10 g&a in 14 games PL for City this season? Completely overrated being a first teamer for the best team in the PL.

He is a quality player. I thought he was good against France, also.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Don't particularly care if he does well for a stacked City side. I just don't see it. Too passive and doesn't seem to make things happen.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Another one who I'm not sure exactly how great he is or isn't? He's barely ever played well for england.

Dominos

I know Pep plays him out wide mostly but I can't help but feel he's wasted out there. All his best qualities suggest he should be a central player.

The brave move would have been to move him central and bring Rashford on early in the 2nd half.