Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

BEST No7

Foden is a brilliant player, the way he glides past people is unreal. Gazza, Scholes and Foden same kinda mould. England seem to not produce these players often. Unbelievable talent.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Am I the only one that thinks Saka is more talented than him?

More talented, I’d probably say Foden is more talented but it’s close and nowhere near as conclusive as some might make it seem. Saka is such an excellent player and he was, along with Bellingham, miles better than any other England player this tournament, while Foden was more average than good when he played.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
More talented, I’d probably say Foden is more talented but it’s close and nowhere near as conclusive as some might make it seem. Saka is such an excellent player and he was, along with Bellingham, miles better than any other England player this tournament, while Foden was more average than good when he played.
They are both talented but I don't think we'll find out how good Foden is until he plays regularly in what most consider to be the best position for him, as a 10

Skills

Snitch
They are both talented but I don't think we'll find out how good Foden is until he plays regularly in what most consider to be the best position for him, as a 10
It's a luxury position in football. With his skillset he needs to develop into what Bernardo Silva is for City

Josh 76

Foden is a brilliant player, the way he glides past people is unreal. Gazza, Scholes and Foden same kinda mould. England seem to not produce these players often. Unbelievable talent.
Imagine this in their prime

Scholes
Gaza. Foden

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's a luxury position in football. With his skillset he needs to develop into what Bernardo Silva is for City
And yet they're developing him into a Sane/Sterling type instead. I'd say baldy is probably more qualified than any of us in figuring out what Foden is best at, what player he should be and how to use him...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Am I the only one that thinks Saka is more talented than him?
I don't think he necessarily more talented, but he's better at "flying solo", and has been primarily an on ball-playmaker since he first broke through for Arsenal. Whereas Foden has been and still is primarily an off-ball playmaker for City. This is why people saying he should be a #10 or an #8 is kind of baffling. He has never been either of those at any point of his pro career, and has never really shown a skillset that would fit those roles so far. He's a world class wing-forward, and at this point I'm not sure why City would want to reinvent him as something else

Orion.

He’s very Gerrard-esque, in the sense he has all of the attributes but lacks the football IQ to utilise them properly, and can only play at full speed.

Any other legit football nation, he’d be a leftback.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's had 5 good weeks this season and been shocking besides, today was non-existent. He's a young lad but this is clearly the biggest slump/stagnation in his career so far, it will be interesting to see how he responds.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
He's had 5 good weeks this season and been shocking besides, today was non-existent. He's a young lad but this is clearly the biggest slump/stagnation in his career so far, it will be interesting to see how he responds.
Doesn't help when the service was a slow as it was today, United got the ball out quickly, Foden could have sat down and had a cup of tea before the ball came his way half the time - I'm not complaining though :D

RedDevilRoshi

Poorest I’ve seen him play. When he was making his way off the pitch to be subbed, that’s the first time l had seen his name being mentioned. Passenger throughout.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Doesn't help when the service was a slow as it was today, United got the ball out quickly, Foden could have sat down and had a cup of tea before the ball came his way half the time - I'm not complaining though :D
Yeah but its on him to come and get the ball too. Grealish came on in his position for less than half the time Phil was on the pitch and probably touched the ball a hell of a lot more and contributed. Mahrez also saw a lot of the ball (though didn't use it well). Of the 3 Phil is the one who offered nothing.

I don't wanna be too hard on him because the entire team is outta sorts atm but he is one of the biggest issues. For all Jacks output struggles he at least has a go, Mahrez & KDB too. Phil feels a bit like he's hiding.

He's young and has had off field incidents before so I'm worried about his mentality to bounce back.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He clearly isn't a left winger, tbf. He was the perfect replacement for David Silva and should've been played as a number 10. Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved back to that position soon with KDB's clear decline.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yeah but its on him to come and get the ball too. Grealish came on in his position for less than half the time Phil was on the pitch and probably touched the ball a hell of a lot more and contributed. Mahrez also saw a lot of the ball (though didn't use it well). Of the 3 Phil is the one who offered nothing.

I don't wanna be too hard on him because the entire team is outta sorts atm but he is one of the biggest issues. For all Jacks output struggles he at least has a go, Mahrez & KDB too. Phil feels a bit like he's hiding.
City upped the tempo in the second half which helped, yes he does need to go looking for the ball but City only have one plan, there's no real plan B when plan A doesn't work and that was quite clear today

As you're a City fan I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the "offside" goal

padr81

Supports
Man City
City upped the tempo in the second half which helped, yes he does need to go looking for the ball but City only have one plan, there's no real plan B when plan A doesn't work and that was quite clear today

As you're a City fan I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the "offside" goal
I mean I think it was offside, it looked like Rashford was gonna shoot (he made the motion) but all in all the xg said approx 2-1 to United so can't complain too much that was the final result. One things for sure bar a decent 30 minutes (where we still didn't create enough) we didn't deserve to win today and it is what it is.

I don't want that goal to be an excuse for us to paper over the cracks though which Pep kinda did in his post match.
Theres a lot wrong at City right now. Bernardo has wanted to leave for 2 years and it feels like mentally he's checked out this season, Gundogan is off in the summer and mentally not on it either. We've become over relient on KDB bailing us out by feeding Haaland, but Ji Sung Fred doing a job on him today (for the most part) completely nullified that and we look lost when creating (not just against United but basically its obvious now, stop KDB, stop City).

Foden, Cancelo, KDB all out of form, Mahrez is still gloriously inconsistent. Sterling who was usually good to decide tight games at Chelsea. Zinchenko another game changer at LB when Cancelo is off (see his performance to seal title last season) at Arsenal. Also Haaland having a dip going into our toughest run of the season.

Dias and Walker having injury hit seasons. Ake has been decent, Akanji always has a mistake in him. Laporte has been a shadow of his pre-injury self. Pep has a big job on his hands to sort this lot out and all these egos.
We have far more problems than todays goal.

The game today went for the most part exactly as I expected to be honest, with Rashford in the channel between RB and RCB being the only really danger for either team and while I think the goal was offside I think its unfair to say thats why we lost, even if I felt that way for 5 minutes after it went in.

Honestly Rodri feels like the only City player who is having a good season besides Haaland. Maybe Ake too.

Edit: Stones too but he's injured currently.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I mean I think it was offside, it looked like Rashford was gonna shoot (he made the motion) but all in all the xg said approx 2-1 to United so can't complain too much that was the final result. One things for sure bar a decent 30 minutes (where we still didn't create enough) we didn't deserve to win today and it is what it is.

I don't want that goal to be an excuse for us to paper over the cracks though which Pep kinda did in his post match.
Theres a lot wrong at City right now. Bernardo has wanted to leave for 2 years and it feels like mentally he's checked out this season, Gundogan is off in the summer and mentally not on it either. We've become over relient on KDB bailing us out by feeding Haaland, but Ji Sung Fred doing a job on him today (for the most part) completely nullified that and we look lost when creating (not just against United but basically its obvious now, stop KDB, stop City).

Foden, Cancelo, KDB all out of form, Mahrez is still gloriously inconsistent. Sterling who was usually good to decide tight games at Chelsea. Zinchenko another game changer at LB when Cancelo is off (see his performance to seal title last season) at Arsenal. Also Haaland having a dip going into our toughest run of the season.

Dias and Walker having injury hit seasons. Ake has been decent, Akanji always has a mistake in him. Laporte has been a shadow of his pre-injury self. Pep has a big job on his hands to sort this lot out and all these egos.
We have far more problems than todays goal.

The game today went for the most part exactly as I expected to be honest, with Rashford in the channel between RB and RCB being the only really danger for either team and while I think the goal was offside I think its unfair to say thats why we lost, even if I felt that way for 5 minutes after it went in.

Honestly Rodri feels like the only City player who is having a good season besides Haaland. Maybe Ake too.
Fair enough - though according to the current rules he wasn't offside which says more about the rules than it does the decision

City, to me, need alternatives, the only difference between the 2 halves was City upped the tempo a bit in the second and that was basically it, it was pass, pass, pass without really going anywhere

padr81

Supports
Man City
Fair enough - though according to the current rules he wasn't offside which says more about the rules than it does the decision

City, to me, need alternatives, the only difference between the 2 halves was City upped the tempo a bit in the second and that was basically it, it was pass, pass, pass without really going anywhere
Yup Haaland should be that alternative though, usually we can go long but the problem is we're so out of form, no one takes a risk bar KDB. We've gone direct often this season (when its on) but today no one had any guts to play those passes, again down to player mentality currently I'd say as opposed to coaching.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yup Haaland should be that alternative though, usually we can go long but the problem is we're so out of form, no one takes a risk bar KDB. We've gone direct often this season (when its on) but today no one had any guts to play those passes, again down to player mentality currently I'd say as opposed to coaching.
I think ETH thought you'd go long as well, that's partly why Shaw played CB I think

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think ETH thought you'd go long as well, that's partly why Shaw played CB I think
I think so, gotta credit ETH, particularly first half. You guys were tactically spot on. He crowded the middle, had Fred man mark KDB and exploited the channel we all knew would be open. 2nd half Pep kinda corrected it, but first half ETH was the clear tactical victor despite it being 0-0. Even having Malacia harrass Mahrez in a way Shaw wouldn't had he played LB. It was impressive, shows theres a pragmatic side to him maybe Pep doesn't have.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I fear (speaking as an England fan by-the-way) that Phil Foden could be going the way of Georgie Best or Paul Gascoigne.

There are indications (on twitter for example) that he has fallen out with the manager - possibly even had something to do with the Cancelo move. Issues about his home life & getting in with the wrong people, that sort of thing - and didn't he get into trouble on England duty (in Iceland) awhile back with one of your players who has also questionable reputation?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I fear (speaking as an England fan by-the-way) that Phil Foden could be going the way of Georgie Best or Paul Gascoigne.

There are indications (on twitter for example) that he has fallen out with the manager - possibly even had something to do with the Cancelo move. Issues about his home life & getting in with the wrong people, that sort of thing - and didn't he get into trouble on England duty (in Iceland) awhile back with one of your players who has also questionable reputation?
Theres a few rumours but the strongest ones are Foden and Dias fell out with Cancelo in defending Pep. Apparently Cancelo lost his shit at Pep in training and Dias and Foden sided with Pep and thats why Cancelo got fecked off.

But there are a lot of rumours about Phil and his family having a partying lifestyle, plus stories of some hangers on and shit bags worming there way into his inner circle. Also a rumour on Bluemoon he left his missus for some proper trash who has been guiding him further off the rails.

Have no idea how true any of it is but those are the rumours gathering steam on the city groups. Could all be bollix but could also be 100%.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Theres a few rumours but the strongest ones are Foden and Dias fell out with Cancelo in defending Pep. Apparently Cancelo lost his shit at Pep in training and Dias and Foden sided with Pep and thats why Cancelo got fecked off.

But there are a lot of rumours about Phil and his family having a partying lifestyle, plus stories of some hangers on and shit bags worming there way into his inner circle. Also a rumour on Bluemoon he left his missus for some proper trash who has been guiding him further off the rails.

Have no idea how true any of it is but those are the rumours gathering steam on the city groups. Could all be bollix but could also be 100%.
Thank you for the update, sad if true - it must be so difficult for girlfriends of footballers: if a couple of lads go crazy in Ibiza (or Iceland!) and come home regretting stuff & their g'friends find out about it, in the normal world they probably just bin them off. Not such an easy decision to make if said b.friend is on £300,000 a month and kids are involved.

D. Beckham and W. Rooney are examples of this and another player who I can't name at your team currently.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Thank you for the update, sad if true - it must be so difficult for girlfriends of footballers: if a couple of lads go crazy in Ibiza (or Iceland!) and come home regretting stuff & their g'friends find out about it, in the normal world they probably just bin them off. Not such an easy decision to make if said b.friend is on £300,000 a month and kids are involved.

D. Beckham and W. Rooney are examples of this and another player who I can't name at your team currently.
Yeah theres tons of it. Lads getting too much money and too arrogant way to young. Not that its a defence, I think it was Connor McGregor who once said to Paddy Houlahan in a documentary "Money doesn't change who you are, just shows who you really are." which is ironic cause about 2 months after I saw the documentary Connor went completely off the rails.

Even when you hear about Grealish who is in a relationship but spent alot of time at the house of left back we don't speak of and at some of those parties... yeah it has to be tough/awful for their partners. Its very easy to say "I'd up and leave him for my self respect etc.." judging from the outside but reality is very different.

Its sad to watch with players too though, like what can be so wrong with people that when given everything they could wish for, they just completely implode.
Hope its not the case with Phil but I do worry the more and more I read/hear.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah theres tons of it. Lads getting too much money and too arrogant way to young. Not that its a defence, I think it was Connor McGregor who once said to Paddy Houlahan in a documentary "Money doesn't change who you are, just shows who you really are." which is ironic cause about 2 months after I saw the documentary Connor went completely off the rails.

Even when you hear about Grealish who is in a relationship but spent alot of time at the house of left back we don't speak of and at some of those parties... yeah it has to be tough/awful for their partners. Its very easy to say "I'd up and leave him for my self respect etc.." judging from the outside but reality is very different.

Its sad to watch with players too though, like what can be so wrong with people that when given everything they could wish for, they just completely implode.
Hope its not the case with Phil but I do worry the more and more I read/hear.
I totally agree.

The one thing that really winds me up: football players getting done for drink driving. I think there was a Newcastle one just the other week. Get an Uber for fux sake.

Heck, for 1 weeks of a premier league players salary I will be their chauffeur for a year - it's crazy.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I totally agree.

The one thing that really winds me up: football players getting done for drink driving. I think there was a Newcastle one just the other week. Get an Uber for fux sake.

Heck, for 1 weeks of a premier league players salary I will be their chauffeur for a year - it's crazy.
Yup, things like that annoy me no end. Its not like they couldn't afford a helicopter nevermind car home.

Son

There is a culture problem in the UK inner cities mainly. Gaza back in the 90’s and now Foden / Greenwood / Ravel Morrison

Looking at Barcelona with Gavi and Pedri they just seem to have a better support network in Spain for youngsters to flourish and just focus on work.

Foden‘s stats are slightly better for goals and assists this season but personally I don’t see any improvement since 2020-2021.

Worrying for someone supposed to be a generational talent.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
There is a culture problem in the UK inner cities mainly. Gaza back in the 90’s and now Foden / Greenwood / Ravel Morrison

Looking at Barcelona with Gavi and Pedri they just seem to have a better support network in Spain for youngsters to flourish and just focus on work.

Foden‘s stats are slightly better for goals and assists this season but personally I don’t see any improvement since 2020-2021.

Worrying for someone supposed to be a generational talent.
It goes way further back than Gazza and the 90's, George Best was probably the first, the 70's had the likes of Rodney Marsh, in the early 80's United were basically a drinking club and they weren't the only ones

padr81

Supports
Man City
He was actually decent today before he channeled his inner Stevie G. Haaland and KDB were far bigger culprits in us dropping points.