Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Foden typifies one of the biggest issues affecting English football. It is so competitive with every game being so important that Managers cannot take a flyer on a young lad. The top six/eight are fighting for Europe and the bottom six/eight are fighting relegation. To have an 18 year old make a mistake that costs you three points is unthinkable for a manager who is likely to lose his job based on that failure. Leicester were able to give a 20 year old Ben Chilwell a Premier league run because they were mid table and he went on to play for England. We need to see more young players loaned out to Championship or lower to give them a chance to develop in real world situations. Maybe Premier league clubs need to pay the wages of the loaned out players so that the lads get a chance to improve.

Aloysius's Back 3

I just wish we would have the guts to tap up players like him as well as players like Harry Kane every summer until they give in.

We are too much of a nice club at the moment. We are a club with the history of trapping players from rival clubs under our belt.

In Rainbows

Foden typifies one of the biggest issues affecting English football. It is so competitive with every game being so important that Managers cannot take a flyer on a young lad. The top six/eight are fighting for Europe and the bottom six/eight are fighting relegation. To have an 18 year old make a mistake that costs you three points is unthinkable for a manager who is likely to lose his job based on that failure. Leicester were able to give a 20 year old Ben Chilwell a Premier league run because they were mid table and he went on to play for England. We need to see more young players loaned out to Championship or lower to give them a chance to develop in real world situations. Maybe Premier league clubs need to pay the wages of the loaned out players so that the lads get a chance to improve.
Maybe loan deals need to be longer than a year so that the club feels more obligated to make them part of their plans. Right now it's very much make a good 1st impression or tough luck at these clubs because they're rightly only looking out for themselves. If they felt investing more in their development could help them out the next year, they would give more of a chance to these kids.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
No where near ready to play week in week out. Not physically strong enough, showed in the last game. Imagine playing for a lower side where he will be hounded and brushed off the ball. Has close ball control to do well but still lacking in physicality imo.
Only way players develop that physicality is through playing. Compare Sancho physicality pre his Dortmund move and in his first few games and compare it to now. Players as talented as a Foden should be playing regular first team football - probably not at City but definitely top division level.

In Rainbows

Only way players develop that physocality is through playing. Compare Sancho physicality pre his Dortmund move and in his first few games and compare it to now. Players as talented as a Foden should be playing regular first team football - probably not at City but definitely top division level.
Also, struggling against men could motivate them to pay more attention to their physical ability if they know skill isn't enough to succeed.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Also, struggling against men could motivate them to pay more attention to their physical ability if they know skill isn't enough to succeed.
Exactly - Cristiano being a case in point.

If you’re good enough you’re old enough and for me Foden risks stagnating if he stays at City too long. IMO if he isn’t a first team player by end of this season and maximum next - needs to leave otherwise he’s going to miss out on Euro 2020 when IMO he should be playing in England’s first team on ability (whether he can turn that into actual production who knows but he needs to give himself the chance to move forward from just being a ‘talent’).

Needham

Typical English player. all the skill in the world but not enough physically.

Classical Mechanic

You could watch half of Mata or Lingard's games and deduce they're not physically ready enough. Losing a few physical battles in a 20 minute appearance doesn't mean the player isn't ready, especially against a physically large side like West Ham.

As another poster has mentioned, such games are key to the development of a young player.

Treble

He's still a kid and is ahead of schedule compared to Xavi, Iniesta and especially Scholes. Scholes didn't have a sinlge appearance when he was a year older than Foden.

That notion that the earlier you start to play regular football at top level, the better it is for you development is amateurish thinking. If he gets 20 and still can't start say 15 league games, then he should worry. Now it's too early about that.

Web of Bissaka

Perceived potential - City's next big thing, coming through their youth. Who's the last one before him? exactly.

Actual "now" potential - City's bench seat warmer, those seats have to be filled, even worse if even their subs bench looks empty.

Long term potential - Move to a different club one day and have this hype given to him eventually disappearing.. unless he join a good club.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Chance he'll start against Lyon tonight because of injuries to Gundogan, Bernardo and De Bruyne. It's more likely that Pep will play Sane and Mahrez with Sterling next to Silva, but who knows?

As for his potential in later years, I find it curious to see so many United fans suddenly very protective over, and concerned about the playtime of, a City youngster. He's 18. If he's still not starting games in double figures over the course of a season by the time he's 20/21 then I'd understand him wanting to explore other options, but for now he needs to be managed carefully whilst earning his place in the side. Twenty minutes here in the league, ten minutes there in the Champions League, a start in the FA Cup 3rd round, that sort of thing.

Some youth players don't suit that kind of approach. We've seen over the years with players like Rooney and Lukaku that some young lads suit making 40+ appearances a season in their teenage years. It sometimes means they burn out by the time they're 30 (or even earlier) but it that just means their best years were between the ages of 17 and 28 as opposed to 22 and 33. Every human being is made up of different ingredients. At the moment Foden doesn't have the physical stature to compete as often as his technical ability suggests, but he's getting there.

And that's all he can do: slowly get there. He might get more game time out on loan at another club, but what he needs right now is coaching. The following is a quote from Ross Barkley:
"Over the years I haven't really been coached much. When you go through the youth system, you're always going in to do analysis work, you're looking at every way of improving and your coaches are always on top of you. And once you go into the first team it can change, because game to game managers are focusing on weekly results, not player development."
Would we want Phil Foden to be saying the same thing in five years, having failed to really make his impact in the way Barkley hasn't quite managed to live up to his potential? No. You want him protected, you want him eased in to the reality of being a professional footballer for one of the best teams in the world. Players like Sancho are lucky because he's managed to get a spot starting for Lucien Favre but Foden could end up playing for a terrible coach. Barkley was one of Everton's key players but if he wasn't being coached then he was never going to progress.

So I'm not going to lose sleep over Foden not playing 90 minutes for the while.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Would we want Phil Foden to be saying the same thing in five years, having failed to really make his impact in the way Barkley hasn't quite managed to live up to his potential? No. You want him protected, you want him eased in to the reality of being a professional footballer for one of the best teams in the world. Players like Sancho are lucky because he's managed to get a spot starting for Lucien Favre but Foden could end up playing for a terrible coach. Barkley was one of Everton's key players but if he wasn't being coached then he was never going to progress.

So I'm not going to lose sleep over Foden not playing 90 minutes for the while.
If you are that worried about Foden´s next coach, we probably have to bolster our kindergarten again when Pulisic departs next summer ;)

padr81

Supports
Man City
Should have played last night. Putting Sterling in his position (well kind of) showed a lack of belief in him despite what he has said. Given Sterling was shocking in said position, looks a mistake on Pep's part.

charlie9882

I just wish we would have the guts to tap up players like him as well as players like Harry Kane every summer until they give in.

We are too much of a nice club at the moment. We are a club with the history of trapping players from rival clubs under our belt.
Why would Foden be any better off joining United right now? Angel Gomes can't even get a look in and was rated just as highly as Foden was before he made his way into City's squad last summer. Foden's got more game time that McTominay and Pereira combined this season, despite being significantly younger and up against much better players.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Should have played last night. Putting Sterling in his position (well kind of) showed a lack of belief in him despite what he has said. Given Sterling was shocking in said position, looks a mistake on Pep's part.
Sterling’s selection in that position was a mistake but Foden was not the answer.
Delph was the one who should’ve been in from the start with Sterling wide and Mahrez on the bench.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Sterling’s selection in that position was a mistake but Foden was not the answer.
Delph was the one who should’ve been in from the start with Sterling wide and Mahrez on the bench.
I'd have been fine with that, but I'd of like to see us put a bit of faith in the lad. Sure it was a big game, but after Pep talking him up, I think he should have thrown him in.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I'd have been fine with that, but I'd of like to see us put a bit of faith in the lad. Sure it was a big game, but after Pep talking him up, I think he should have thrown him in.
He’s ready for a full Senior game just not that one. Too much at stake and there would have been a danger of him getting a damaging early hook if he had started.
His turn is coming.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I will avoid the “I wish my club would do things illegaly* and say you will only try and attempt to tap up players that you think will want to leave. There are no stories about Harry leaving because he has made it pretty clear that he doesn’t want to. What United should be doing is employing a manager that suits your values, youth, British etc.

Not Poch before that’s mentioned as a response. As for Foden if he has any brains he will ask for a loan move or a perm transfer Like Sancho.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Baffling decision, when was his contract due to expire?

For Englands sake I really hope this doesn’t come back to bite him.
Why is it baffling that an 18 year old central midfielder who is consistently part of his team's matchday squad would sign a new contract with that team? We'll add in that he's been at the academy since he was 8 and is a lifelong fan.

How many other 18 year old central midfielders are currently regular starters at PL level? Let alone the current champions. I don't know why people are so keen to hold Foden and City to such an unrealistic standard in terms of game time. There's plenty of posts in this thread pointing out that he has more game time vs. similar players such as Scholes at the same age. Don't recall anyone calling for Scholes to leave United at 18?

I'd say the "for England's sake I hope he moves on" is really more likely to be "for my club's sake, I hope he leaves City so that City don't benefit from him" for a lot of posters in here.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully he gets a loan if he isn't getting chances from an England perspective. Not surprising he's signed he's a boyhood City fan isn't he? Playing for the best City team that's ever been assembled and one of the best managers in the world

Posh Red

I might be in the minority but I think he’s done the right thing. He’s still really young, and might break into the team as David Silva ages. I don’t think you can underestimate how beneficial working with Guardiola could be for him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has played more regularly this season. Has seen the pitch far more than someone like Gomez or Chong for example.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
He has played more regularly this season. Has seen the pitch far more than someone like Gomez or Chong for example.
What are you talking about? Gomez has played almost every minute he is available.