Phil Foden - What Is His Potential?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
A great man manager lying through his teeth shocker.

Just think how much confidence this quote will give Foden coming into next season, add to that he's a stockport lad so he is a fan favourite as well. Guardiola knows what he is doing and I admire him for it.
Anybody who has managed people (in football or anywhere) knows that undeserved and over-the-top exaggerated "praise" is not an effective way to motivate your team members. Foden is not a moron, he knows Pep has managed Messi, he knows he is not Messi, so unless Foden has Narcissistic personality disorder, all this "praise" does is – it makes Foden lose the trust of things Pep says. It waters down Pep's praise, basically, so how is that great "man management"? it is not.

Pep needs to play him. Enough talk and empty praise.
Exactly, actions talk louder than words. Foden will get confidence when Pep plays him, not from some silly press conference BS. And Foden is not too young, other top players were younger when they made senior teams on regular basis.

I just think he says it here for him to be patient and tell him his time will come, even if he isnt a starter for now
Yes, that is what he does and it shows Pep is much worse in organizational psychology than he is given credit for. He is not a good man manager, at all, he is a great football tactician and makes up for his very poor people skills.

Last edited:

Stacks

Anybody who has managed people (in football or anywhere) knows that undeserved and over-the-top exaggerated "praise" is not an effective way to motivate your team members. Foden is not a moron, he knows Pep has managed Messi, he knows he is not Messi, so unless Foden has Narcissistic personality disorder, all this "praise" does is – it makes Foden lose the trust of things Pep says. It waters down Pep's praise, basically, so how is that great "man management"? it is not.

Exactly, actions talk louder than words. Foden will get confidence when Pep plays him, not from some silly press conference BS. And Foden is not too young, other top players were younger when they made senior teams on regular basis.

Yes, that is what he does and it shows Pep is much worse in organizational psychology than he is given credit for. He is not a good man manager, at all, he is a great football tactician and makes up for his very poor people skills.
You should write a book about motivation and man management and offer a copy to Pep. The over the top praise is just another way of saying I believe in you and your quality to be a part of this great side. Phil made near 30 apps last season

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
You should write a book about motivation and man management and offer a copy to Pep. The over the top praise is just another way of saying I believe in you and your quality to be a part of this great side. Phil made near 30 apps last season
And his appearances became more frequent towards the end of the season despite every game being a virtual Cup Final. Foden is being gradually integrated into the team and normal improvement will see him playing the majority of matches in season 20/21 IMO.

K13

KDB has been in imperious form on the pre season tour. You really had to see his performance yesterday to believe it, he was that good.
If he can avoid serious injury this season (3 separate ones last time) I predict that he will be his best ever and will be going nowhere.
Kevin De Bruyne is the one player I would take from your city squad in a heartbeat. Quite simply brilliant and his form since returning from injury has made you even stronger and like you I can not see him going anywhere.

Wonderful athlete, incredible quality in his passing particularly his crossing and strikes the ball so cleanly and with so much power and swerve.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Angel Gomes is better than Foden. Not even up for debate .
This is why nobody takes your opinion seriously.

Foden played 40x as many minutes as Gomes did last season, and ran the U-17 World Cup when Gomes couldn't even get in the team. He's probably close to an England call-up, and much closer than Gomes is to breaking the starting XI, despite the fact City are the far superior side.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Kevin De Bruyne is the one player I would take from your city squad in a heartbeat. Quite simply brilliant and his form since returning from injury has made you even stronger and like you I can not see him going anywhere.

Wonderful athlete, incredible quality in his passing particularly his crossing and strikes the ball so cleanly and with so much power and swerve.
The quality City have in midfield is just insane. Three out of de Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Gündogan and Foden will start on the bench or out of position. Now that Hazard is gone they have three players who have a fair claim to be the best in the league (Bernardo, David, de Bruyne) for two positions. Crazy.

If I were you I'd really try to steal one or two players for them. Gündogan, Sane, Mahrez, Jesus etc. would all improve you immediately and they might be willing to leave considering that they are onle the 1.5. choices in their respective positions. Maybe even Foden.

K13

The quality City have in midfield is just insane. Three out of de Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Gündogan and Foden will start on the bench or out of position. Now that Hazard is gone they have three players who have a fair claim to be the best in the league (Bernardo, David, de Bruyne) for two positions. Crazy.

If I were you I'd really try to steal one or two players for them. Gündogan, Sane, Mahrez, Jesus etc. would all improve you immediately and they might be willing to leave considering that they are onle the 1.5. choices in their respective positions. Maybe even Foden.
I think we would have to 'steal' because there is absolutely no way they would sell us such gems - the first 2 in particular. :)

Kweku Amonoo

This is why nobody takes your opinion seriously.

Foden played 40x as many minutes as Gomes did last season, and ran the U-17 World Cup when Gomes couldn't even get in the team. He's probably close to an England call-up, and much closer than Gomes is to breaking the starting XI, despite the fact City are the far superior side.
Gomes not getting in the team was down to manager preference. As was him not featuring much in the first team. Although, Foden is further along his development, Gomes will eventually become the better player. That is my opinion. If you don't take it seriously, I really don't care.

markhughes

I agree that Foden is the better player for sure however it is worth mentioning that Gomes was injured going into the U17 world cup which greatly reduced his chances/minutes.

Both are very good players and I think Gomes would be much better suited to City's style.

RooneyLegend

I agree that Foden is the better player for sure however it is worth mentioning that Gomes was injured going into the U17 world cup which greatly reduced his chances/minutes.

Both are very good players and I think Gomes would be much better suited to City's style.
What makes ypu believe Foden is better?

In Rainbows

What makes ypu believe Foden is better?
He's further along in his development. Gomes had that injury riddled 2017-2018 period and Foden kicked on during that period. Foden does a good job of making his presence felt on the pitch as he's a little more direct than Gomes. He's also a good goal scorer and his decision making is very mature. Gomes has all the ingredients, but can drift out of matches in the same way Kagawa did for us. He's a very smart player, but also very patient and if nothing is happening with his teammates, he can seem like a bystander.

That's why I think Gomes will make for a great midfielder as that one critique kind of becomes non-existent if he's not being asked to affect the match by dribbling past others, and having end product.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Such a shame he is being wasted at city, he would be starting regularly for any other team in the league. Guardiola is a brilliant tactician but he is a shitbag. Fodens blue tinted glasses are gonna hold him back.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If City sign a big money replacement for D. Silva, Foden needs to get out of there. He would start for every other PL team. Special player in danger of having his career ruined the longer he stays there.

Thaila-X

My dad and brothers are bluenoses and they all say the same thing, he has bags of potential, like a David Silva type player but with an extra yard of pace and more of an eye for goals but they all say he isn’t ready to be starting week in week out in the Premier League. Apparently in a few games he’s been bullied a bit but once his physical side catches up to his technical abilities he’s going to be a real player.

Personally, think nobody has seen enough of him to justify the way he’s being overhyped. But that’s what the media always do with any young player who has a bit of potential in this country...

tomaldinho1

My dad and brothers are bluenoses and they all say the same thing, he has bags of potential, like a David Silva type player but with an extra yard of pace and more of an eye for goals but they all say he isn’t ready to be starting week in week out in the Premier League. Apparently in a few games he’s been bullied a bit but once his physical side catches up to his technical abilities he’s going to be a real player.

Personally, think nobody has seen enough of him to justify the way he’s being overhyped. But that’s what the media always do with any young player who has a bit of potential in this country...
I'd imagine this is the case, he looks a decent player from the glimpses I've seen but very little of it is in senior football. There's a big jump to make, even in a team as strong as City, going to PL football week in week out to the more bit part role he seems to have at the moment because of the change in speed/physicality. Personally I don't see why he doesn't get more minutes in the PL as a sub, especially if City are winning, as any experience will be good experience for him. He's 20 next year, it's not like he's 16, he's apparently good enough so I don't understand the hesitation from Pep.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Forget the media in your country. A certain Sancho is shocking Europe and the bundesliga. Yet when they were at the same under age tournament, there was no doubt who the best player in the whole gig was. Foden is the furthest thing from mere hype. Only severe injury or lack of game time can block him proving special.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
10 minutes in the league and CL so far this season and we're in October. It's a crucial age to secure enough game time to develop and he needs to be used a lot, lot more if he's to make good on his talent.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No clamour from the media that Foden has to leave City?
He signed a long term deal last year, had he not done that the situation would have got a lot more attention (like Odoi did) but there's no point in this situation.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I believe that if he left for regular game time, he'd probably be in the England squad and - like Sancho - pretty much close to a starting spot in the 11.

Also, again, like Sancho, I think he could already be starting for a very good team and, as a result, be a top contender for that Golden Boy award.

Honestly, from a selfish POV, I hope he's contemplating leaving even though training under Pep is probably great for his understanding of the game and development. He should be a certainty in our squad for the Euros and, at this rate, he's not going to even get a cap by said time. Plus it's City losing another promising player which is always a bonus :D

I'm sure he'll stay, though. I think he'd have at least left on loan by now if he had any intentions of making it elsewhere.
Baby looks like he's suicidally contemplating how they could possibly be related.
:D

Judas

Open to offers
He's not playing nearly as much as he should be, but its hardly a surprise, doubt he'll leave though, seems to really want to make it there, and he will eventually I'm sure.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Such a shame he is being wasted at city, he would be starting regularly for any other team in the league. Guardiola is a brilliant tactician but he is a shitbag. Fodens blue tinted glasses are gonna hold him back.
How so? Because he plays world-class players in his place?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Gomes has to be something truly special to be compared/considered to be better than this guy.

RooneyLegend

He's further along in his development. Gomes had that injury riddled 2017-2018 period and Foden kicked on during that period. Foden does a good job of making his presence felt on the pitch as he's a little more direct than Gomes. He's also a good goal scorer and his decision making is very mature. Gomes has all the ingredients, but can drift out of matches in the same way Kagawa did for us. He's a very smart player, but also very patient and if nothing is happening with his teammates, he can seem like a bystander.

That's why I think Gomes will make for a great midfielder as that one critique kind of becomes non-existent if he's not being asked to affect the match by dribbling past others, and having end product.
Thats a positional issue cause by the coaches instructions. If he's told to play between the lines and we face a team that uses deep lines then he's going to struggle to get on the ball.

As a footballer, Gomes is a genius. More so than Foden imo because he's technically more gifted. As for the decision making that is no complaint you can lay against Gomes, he sees it all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Foden need to run away from Man City in order to develop as a proper player. Look at his mate Sancho, doing not too bad at Dortmund and England.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
If Im City I'd loan him out. Talented but they are stacked at midfield

Sir Scott McToMinay

If Im City I'd loan him out. Talented but they are stacked at midfield
Not sure about that, if he wants a career at City (and that spot is up for grabs with Silva getting older), it is arguably more beneficial to him to train at City, be coached by Pep, even if it means less game time.
They have such a specific style of play that loaning him to a counter attacking team or a Burnley won’t do him any good and will set him a year back in terms of the City style of play, and the press and the possession and whatnot.
Maybe a loan to Norwich could work to an extent?

Their training sessions are probably at a much higher level than most teams’ competitive matches.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
What's your yard stick for such a claim?
I meant I watched Foden several times and hardly ever seen Gomes play. I think Foden is an incredible talent, so the fact that many reckon Gomes is just good or better must mean he, too, is an incredible talent. My wording must have seemed like I was slagging off Gomes.