View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Classical Mechanic

I'd hazard a guess that he's been heavily involved in at least 2/3 of the goals we've conceded against top teams when he's played. He has a lot of very good qualities but he consistently makes mistakes, I don't see how anyone could argue against that.
He wouldn't have been playing if he had!

'this guy costs us against us every big team we play, the stats say it so'

'lets play him against all the big sides then'

'good idea batman'.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
He's only played 7 games against 'top' opposition this season (Arsenal twice, Liverpool twice, Tottenham twice and City once). In those games we've only conceded four goals with him on the pitch (the Blackett OG, Aguero's first at OT in the league, Sturridge at Anfield in the league and Welbeck in the FA Cup). Possibly only Aguero's was partly Jones' fault, but even then there were others who were more culpable. And even the best defenders can get duped by the movement of a world class striker. Vidic wasn't shit in the air because he let Messi score a header off him.

Dante

Average bang
For what it's worth, I think Jones is one of the most intelligent players in our squad. That's why he's been trusted by all of his managers, for club and country, since he was 18 years old. They always seem to want to shoehorn him into the XI, even if it means he ends up playing in a position in which he's not a natural.

Granted, the guy looks like an idiot and moves with the grace of a washing machine falling down a flight of stairs, but he's actually a huge asset to the team and massively underrated as a footballer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For what it's worth, I think Jones is one of the most intelligent players in our squad. That's why he's been trusted by all of his managers, for club and country, since he was 18 years old. They always seem to want to shoehorn him into the XI, even if it means he ends up playing in a position in which he's not a natural.

Granted, the guy looks like an idiot and moves with the grace of a washing machine falling down a flight of stairs, but he's actually a huge asset to the team and massively underrated as a footballer.
That's the big issue for me. I agree that he isn't as stupid as he looks (though if he was he'd be too dangerous to let near the public anyway) but the inherent lack of grace in his game could be a hindrance in and of itself. Reminded of Ferguson suggesting it was a bad sign that one of our previous defenders (Kevin Moran maybe?) got hurt so often....

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
If he can stay fit and maintain the form that led him to be proclaimed Duncan Edwards mk2 then he will be a top top defender, He has a bit of everything. He does need to work on his footballing brain though and mainly his fitness.

Dante

Average bang
I think his main weakness right now is that occasionally he overhits his passes when he's put under pressure. That'll improve with experience.

The thing about him being injury prone through recklessness is overstated, imo.

Baxter

I think his main weakness right now is that occasionally he overhits his passes when he's put under pressure. That'll improve with experience.

The thing about him being injury prone through recklessness is overstated, imo.
His technique I think is an issue sometimes when passing. I've seen a fair few times that when passing it often 'flies' with no spin as if it had come off his ankle. I never feel comfortable with him on the ball and it might be a bit unfair but I don't think he'll ever be top class.

Oldham

His main weakness is when we're in possession, cause his touch and passing is terrible. Teams are picking up on this and do allow him to get the ball with space in front of him. Then as soon as he brings it forward they close him down and we lose the ball, sometimes in dangerous areas.

His general defending is good..

jb8521

His main weakness is when we're in possession, cause his touch and passing is terrible. Teams are picking up on this and do allow him to get the ball with space in front of him. Then as soon as he brings it forward they close him down and we lose the ball, sometimes in dangerous areas.

His general defending is good..
Yeah you've basically just made this up based on nothing. He's among the top 5 in our squad this season based on fewest unstable touches and fewest number of times dispossessed and has a passing accuracy over 85%

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Coming off injured.

Anyone remember the last time he got injured?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Phil's not gonna last at the highest level eh? Either injured or having a brainfart. He's one of our players so feel bad for him. He just doesn't use his brain (sigh)

Bwuk

Not the best from him today. He's not a right back but that's hardly a excuse. He's played there often enough.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Not sure if this has been posted yet:
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/ode-to-phil-jones-ben-machell-054
"...Jones stands solid in the United back line, like a golem summoned from the stone beneath the turf, like a man who still sends his grandma a handwritten note each Christmas to thank her for the shower gel set, gurning away, falling over himself like his limbs were made of hurdles."
Glorious.

Bwuk

Does he have only 1 year left? Wouldn't surprise me to see him sold if I'm completely honest. I'd imagine he'll get a renewal, but no chance Van Gaal will want him as one of the starting 2 cbs

mu77

[QUOTE Phil Jones doing his best to get himself injured.[/QUOTE]

dozy plank. we'll be reading about him falling off something soon enough. like the earth.

Bwuk

Not sure what he's done to deserve 4 years.
Protects us more than anything. He's what, 22? If he kicks on the next two years, then he'd only have a year left and we could get screwed over by him. If he doesn't improve in the next two seasons he'll be shipped out and we'll get a half decent fee since he'd have 2 years left on contract.

Dante

Average bang
His detractors on this forum must be confused. He's a top defender. Every manager he's worked under seems to think so, and now LvG has joined the club. I assume they've all watched his performances rather than been swayed by internet memes.

decorativeed

His detractors on this forum must be confused. He's a top defender. Every manager he's worked under seems to think so, and now LvG has joined the club. I assume they've all watched his performances rather than been swayed by internet memes.
Really? He's one of the most haphazard footballers I've ever seen at the club. A disaster or injury waiting to happen. What he's demonstrated beyond that to earn an extension baffles me.

Devil may care

Really? He's one of the most haphazard footballers I've ever seen at the club. A disaster or injury waiting to happen. What he's demonstrated beyond that to earn an extension baffles me.
I think managers look at his physical attributes and think that if they can only find a way to train his brain he'd be a top CB.