Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FromTheBench

This thread sure does get Random bumps.

Injuries is his biggest issue. Needs to get over that.

Probably deserves another year atleast. Should get him on a new deal regardless if it's expiring soon.

worldinmotion66

Gotta stick with him given what Smalling has produced this season. He just needs that run of games.

SambaBoy

Has he had one good season for us since joining the club? First season, he was good for a few months then got injured and couldn't get back in the team if I remember rightly. Since then, it's been a few good games here and there, and now it's not even that. He's a waste of space and we need to get rid.

He's not a natural defender, doesn't read the game well and is poor in the air. He's tenacious and powerful which can also be a hindrance in his game with the way he throws himself into tackles and gets injured.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
So Jackson, who hs been excellent for us, is dropped from the squad for the final.....

Meanwhile, this unreliable oaf, who can't keep himself fit, has played next to feck all games all season, is in the squad.....

I despair at times

Vilev

I still believe he can make it, of course he needs to sort his injuries out, the CB that gets injured as much is just not a viable option. This is a least injured position. Apart form GK of course, lets say "outfield position". Players who are 34-35 play there the whole season without a sub.
Given his injury problems i am not against letting him go and taking someone much more reliant, like Dragovic for example.

marlowe78

Hopefully he will be on the bench and never have to get off of it. He's an automatic sub due to an injury and we're going to need all 3 tomorrow.

Walters_19_MuFc

Without injuries, Jones could be very good, in my opinion.

Prior to this season, people weren't sure about Smalling, who, like Jones, also struggled with injured. This season, he's arguably been the best centre back in the EPL.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?

Prior to this season, people weren't sure about Smalling, who, like Jones, also struggled with injured. This season, he's arguably been the best centre back in the EPL.
To nothing like the extent Jones has. Smalling has missed a total of 32 games with injury in his United career according to Transfermarkt, Jones has missed 84 and has been here one season fewer. In my opinion Smalling had more potential and didn't make many errors, it was his passing and distribution that let him down. Jones always feels like he's capable of making some sort of horror mistake at any given moment to me, I'm hoping we buy a new centre back or two and cut our losses.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Someone brought up the other day that in pre-season it looked odds on that Jones was actually the intended partner for Blind. He'd played 4 friendlies in a row, and then Smalling was in from game 1.

Incredible to look at that now

Crackers

greasy ginfers

From what I remember over the past few years, Jones is a lot more injury prone. But I agree, without injuries he's a very good defender.
Needs to learn to calm down and probably spend more time conditioning.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm just glad he's relatively fit to play. At this point it may be another matter of counting how many days before new injury but maybe it's just a matter of giving him more time before he'll start playing regularly like in Smalling's case.

Mike also needed time.

3KDré

Smalling is so overrated. His form has dipped since December. And most people would agree the Alderweireld has been the best CB in the EPL throughout the season.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Doesn't deserve to be involved tomorrow in my opinion, he has contributed the square root of f*ck all this season...

Not a fan.

gza the genius

Doesn't deserve to be involved tomorrow in my opinion, he has contributed the square root of f*ck all this season...

Not a fan.
Really can't believe CBJ was dropped for him. Jones misses essentially the entire season and gets to waltz back in for a cup final at the expense of someone who actually contributed.

Deleted member 101472

I still can't understand why Ferguson said that " he could go on to be one of the best players this club has ever had "

Like .... What was he seeing ?? It's so baffling that my lexicon actually has to resort to saying like .....

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Someone brought up the other day that in pre-season it looked odds on that Jones was actually the intended partner for Blind. He'd played 4 friendlies in a row, and then Smalling was in from game 1.

Incredible to look at that now
Wasn't Smalling coming back from injury during those first few pre-season games?

Smalling is so overrated. His form has dipped since December. And most people would agree the Alderweireld has been the best CB in the EPL throughout the season.
Nah. He's hardly overrated. Been excellent in a makeshift back 4 that has no consistency. The improvement he's shown, granted there was a bit of a dip in form following his injury (but it was also collective), is remarkable.

Reg. Jones, like many I doubt he'll blossom into what we once hoped, but it would be quite foolish to write him off. He may benefit from a new manager too.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

The thing people tend to forget is that Smalling had already shown what he could do if he got a good run of games. He had a period in his first season with us where he was utterly brilliant, almost as good as what he was in the first half of this season. It got to the point where I often found myself hoping that the opposition would get past our midfield just so I could watch Smalling destroy everything they threw at him. In the following seasons he was either used at rightback, injured, or just stuck behind Rio and Vidic, but it was always obvious that he 'should' go on to be one of our dominant centre backs.

Jones has never shown anything like that. Yes he's had good games where he's looked good, but he's always been inconsistent and had plenty of mistakes in him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The thing people tend to forget is that Smalling had already shown what he could do if he got a good run of games. He had a period in his first season with us where he was utterly brilliant, almost as good as what he was in the first half of this season. It got to the point where I often found myself hoping that the opposition would get past our midfield just so I could watch Smalling destroy everything they threw at him. In the following seasons he was either used at rightback, injured, or just stuck behind Rio and Vidic, but it was always obvious that he 'should' go on to be one of our dominant centre backs.

Jones has never shown anything like that. Yes he's had good games where he's looked good, but he's always been inconsistent and had plenty of mistakes in him.
During his last season Ferguson had a period where Jones was the only player to start 8 matches in a row and then started the last 9 matches of the season. Those runs lead to him making that infamous comment about him after his last match. Plus Jones was great during our exciting start in the 11-12 season.

Bojan11

I wouldn't say Jones was great back then. We were conceding goals for fun then. I remember the Chelsea and Basle games where we were a mess in defence. Thankfully our attack bailed us out.

It's best if we moved him on. Funny how he was fit last season just before his contract extension. Since he has signed his new contract he's back as a sicknote.

Petr1

One of those whos potential is ruined by injuries. Could have been a legend but instead he has become the butt of our inury-curse

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Has he had one good season for us since joining the club?
In the season Sir Alex said this I'd say he had a pretty good season. Injury-hit, as always, but a good season. Last year he had a good half-season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Even Anderson has had a better career than Jones for us. Hoping that in summer we get rid of him. Injured most of the time, and a total liability when he is not injured.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wasn't Smalling coming back from injury during those first few pre-season games?

Probably as well, but I remember Van Gaal making comments that Darmian, Blind and Shaw would be his first choice with R CB to be decided. Got a lot of concern at the time

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Appearances in all comps for Man Utd:

11/12: 41
12/13: 24
13/14: 39
14/15: 24
15/16: 13*

*Could be 14 if he makes an appearance in the FA Cup final.

I'd say only 2 decent seasons of appearances out of 5, including the last 2 which have been shocking. At 24 years old he really needs to be putting in 40+apps a season to continue progressing. One more season like the previous 2 and I'd say his United career is over.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's lucky considering what happened to Rafael. Let's not be rash - he's a whole hearted player who needs to protect his body better. I don't think he should be on the bench because Rojo can also play CB if needed. He's still 23/24 and I think these types of players should be on pay as you play contracts. He's won titles with United and that experience is still vital in our squad. They need to look at how the injuries are occurring (i'm sure they do) and just avoid these situations. If that means, changing his game to being more of a reader then a whole hearted tackler then so be it.

Red_Beans

I still believe he can make it, of course he needs to sort his injuries out, the CB that gets injured as much is just not a viable option. This is a least injured position. Apart form GK of course, lets say "outfield position". Players who are 34-35 play there the whole season without a sub.
Given his injury problems i am not against letting him go and taking someone much more reliant, like Dragovic for example.
I've seen this name in a few threads already but know nothing about him. What type of CB is he?

Kostur

海尔的老板
He's lucky considering what happened to Rafael. Let's not be rash - he's a whole hearted player who needs to protect his body better. I don't think he should be on the bench because Rojo can also play CB if needed. He's still 23/24 and I think these types of players should be on pay as you play contracts. He's won titles with United and that experience is still vital in our squad. They need to look at how the injuries are occurring (i'm sure they do) and just avoid these situations. If that means, changing his game to being more of a reader then a whole hearted tackler then so be it.
They couldn't find out how he injures himself for the last 4 seasons so why would they do it next season? Also, to be a reader of the game you actually need some football intelligence and Jones was never a player that would have it in abundance, he's your 'out of position just to make a last ditch tackle' defender.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I might get ridiculoued to death for this but I do think if Jones could have a none injury hit season he'd be significantly better than Smalling. Smalling is a good centre back but Jones when fit is better for me.
The only problem of course is he can't seem to get fit for a whole season which as a centre back being able to be relied upon is the most important thing.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I might get ridiculoued to death for this but I do think if Jones could have a none injury hit season he'd be significantly better than Smalling. Smalling is a good centre back but Jones when fit is better for me.
The only problem of course is he can't seem to get fit for a whole season which as a centre back being able to be relied upon is the most important thing.
SAF saw similar potential in both and didn't hesitate to sign them as they were scouted by our rivals back then. He didn't overpay that much as we would now for Stones and to be honest I have no regrets Jones joined us. He seems to be more versatile than Smalling but physically & purely defensively Mike in beast mode is currently getting closer to a world class level.

It's gonna be hard for Jones to copy that but his success right now will be slowly getting back to being fit which isn't impossible. Just needs more time but the worst case scenario at this point is also on the menu.

Sylar

I think the one big advantage he has is the ball at his feet. I think hes a better passer than Smalling and can join into midfield driving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.