Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

I honestly don't care if Jones stays or goes. But either way he needs to be replaced within the squad. We can't go into another season relying on him as cover at CB.

He's been here 5 years now so next year has to be his last if he can't sort his injuries out.

Mike09

He has to give the FA Cup medal to someone else who deserve it more. Probably Memphis?

Skills

Snitch
But his problem is not the manager but the fitness. Some players are just like that i.e. cant's stay fit. I think he's done anyways.
Mourinho's teams usually have an excellent fitness record. Maybe, just maybe he can sort this one out.

prateik

Smalling was injured a lot till last season too.
I think Jones will turn his fitness around. He'll be great.
All we need to do.. is Bo...

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I think he is very talented. I still have hope that he'll do a Smalling at some stage and stay fit enough to fulfill his talent. It's needs to happen fast, though.

Anyway, our central defense isn't essentially our strongest suite. Rojo is trash and I do not see Blind as a regular CB under Jose. That leaves us with only him and Smalling as regular starters.

I would buy a top CB, let Rojo leave, use Blind as a back up for various positions and then either buy another young prospect or use someone from our academy. That would leave is with Smalling, Jones, New Top CB, New young CB - as our top four choices.

Vilev

I've seen this name in a few threads already but know nothing about him. What type of CB is he?
Well, basically a Vidic, a no-nonsense, tough-tackling, strong. Only of course not as skillful, although he still can develop, he is 25 or something. His league experience is not top, as was Vidic's, he plays in Ukraine for Dynamo Kiev, but on international stage for Austria he looks really settled. Austria actually had a very tough group for them with Russia, Montenegro, Sweden. You don;t really expect them to win it, but they did and mostly thanks to their defence.
It's a bit reminiscent of like before his transfer here Vidic had a great campaign with Serbia.
Given how things are in Ukraine it will be easier to get him.

Red_Beans

Well, basically a Vidic, a no-nonsense, tough-tackling, strong. Only of course not as skillful, although he still can develop, he is 25 or something. His league experience is not top, as was Vidic's, he plays in Ukraine for Dynamo Kiev, but on international stage for Austria he looks really settled. Austria actually had a very tough group for them with Russia, Montenegro, Sweden. You don;t really expect them to win it, but they did and mostly thanks to their defence.
It's a bit reminiscent of like before his transfer here Vidic had a great campaign with Serbia.
Given how things are in Ukraine it will be easier to get him.
Thanks!

Crackers

greasy ginfers
What do you think the main reason for Jones not getting much game time this year?
  • Valencia's speed, power and work rate made him unconsidered for RB, and BWJ was always the better backup?
  • Hadn't a clue about the philosophy and LVG never felt he was suitable for the RB position, or the CB position?
  • Couldn't keep himself to a fit enough level required?
  • Couldn't keep the ball as required?
  • Other reason?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What do you think the main reason for Jones not getting much game time this year?
  • Valencia's speed, power and work rate made him unconsidered for RB, and BWJ was always the better backup?
  • Hadn't a clue about the philosophy and LVG never felt he was suitable for the RB position, or the CB position?
  • Other reason?
Injured and wtf is a BWJ? Is that the same as CBJ? CBJ is a LB so that would have no bearing on the RB position.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
  • Other reason?
Injuries, and it's been a major blessing in disguise. I'm certain LVG would have gone into the season with Jones and Blind as first choice CBs if he hadn't been injured for the first game.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
BWJ as in Borthwick jackson yeah. His first name escaped. Did CBJ not play right back too?
Nah, he has only played on the left. We had so many options at RB that I don't think Jones was seen as really an option there anyway. Jones played 4 u21 matches toward the end of the season and looked quite rusty and off the pace and with Blind and Smalling both playing quite well, van Gaal probably didn't feel the need to try rush him back. He got injured in his first u21 game back in February so they were probably just easing him back with the hope of him being ready for next season.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
  • Other reason?
His corners weren't very good. The ultimate besmirching of the philosophy. Ask Adnan and Andreas.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Just spat my tea out laughing at Phil Jones' face in the graphic at the top of this page. True story. :lol:

worldinmotion66

So, how long do we stick by Phil? I'd absolutely hate to see him leave, have an injury free season and perform to Smalling's level this campaign.

Minimalist

He'd probably be less hassle at right back than giving me heart attacks at centre back but I still think he's unlikely to progress to the player we need. I just feel like he has far too much ground to catch up in terms of the mental attributes required for a top defender. That and he can barely go 5 games without breaking.

Valencia's a much better full-back anyway.

Distracted Steward

He'd probably be less hassle at right back than giving me heart attacks at centre back but I still think he's unlikely to progress to the player we need. I just feel like he has far too much ground to catch up in terms of the mental attributes required for a top defender. That and he can barely go 5 games without breaking.

Valencia's a much better full-back anyway.
I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I long thought he was going to become a top defender, year in year out among the best couple/few in the league.

Even with all the injuries, he has more than enough of the physical tools to get to that level. It's between the ears where he's just not making those steps forward.

He just doesn't read the game well enough. He's always reacting in some hero mode effort. It's great that he can do that when required, but it's incredibly damming how often he has to. The best center halves deal with issues before they become problems. It's deciving to watch them. It looks like they were well screened or the opposition attack had an off day. In reality, it's the subtle things they do. They take a couple of steps and choke a channel. They see space before it can be exploited. They keep an active eye on the rest of the backline and the screening element to avoid becoming isolated and vulnerable.

Jones just doesn't do enough of that. He's young and can't be expected to be even nearly the finished article, but he should have a solid, demonstrated command of those critical little things. Yeah, fitness has been an massive issue for him. You can improve on the training table. If you can dress out to play, you probably aren't training at a serious level. That doesn't whitewash just how bewildering poor he's been at the ins and outs of his chief position.

He was so poor that Blind took his position just before the start of the season. Whether van Gaal had been considering it or not, it was very much his position to lose. If he couldn't hammer it down then, when will he?

I can't help but think this is the year to decide his future at United. If he can gain Mourinho's trust and get on the proper trajectory, he may belately become that player we hoped he would.

Right now, Blind has done more and better at center half than he has--with far fewer physical tools. Bailly is young and raw but may out develop Jones in this coming season alone. It's coming down to it for Jones.

I don't like his chances at this point.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
With Tim Mensah knocking on a first squad's door he got less and less time & chances to start competing for a place in a team. Today's signing of Bailly was a nail, another deal in that mood may be the end... and Maureen probably needs more quality depth there so safe to say it's not looking good.

He just needs to stop being injured. It's a lot to ask but we need start competing for a title. Soon.

Djemba-Djemba

Been a massive letdown sadly. I remember thinking he was going to be a monster player after his first month or two here.

He could have no complaints if Jose got rid this Summer.

Distracted Steward

With Tim Mensah knocking on a first squad's door he got less and less time & chances to start competing for a place in a team. Today's signing of Bailly was a nail, another deal in that mood may be the end... and Maureen probably needs more quality depth there so safe to say it's not looking good.

He just needs to stop being injured. It's a lot to ask but we need start competing for a title. Soon.
Spot on.

Mensah is a threat to Jones' place in the squad not only as a dedicated center half but as a defensive utility player. Blind already brings that. Blind is better in midfield and so far much more reliable at center half (both availability and play). From what I've seen, Mensah is also better in midfield and looking good at center half.

Before those two, Blind was the only one in the squad that could offer cover just about anywhere in the back half of the pitch. That's not the case now.

It's going to be his ability to play as a dedicated center half that will be the decision point.

jesskan60

Now we signed Bailly, I expect Jones to be ship out.
And now we have Blind or TFM who can play in different defensive or midfield position.
Such a shame...

Canucantona20

I genuinely thought Jones was going to be a beast of a CB for us. Remember his performance vs Madrid? What a shame, maybe Jose can work his magic on him.

Spock

I genuinely thought Jones was going to be a beast of a CB for us. Remember his performance vs Madrid? What a shame, maybe Jose can work his magic on him.
I thought the same. Now, I don't see much of a future for Jones at OT. One more season as a squad man then off to a midtable club.

Canucantona20

I thought the same. Now, I don't see much of a future for Jones at OT. One more season as a squad man then off to a midtable club.
I agree. One more season to prove his worth, I think Smalling needs to have a word with Phil about overcoming injuries and proving your worth

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I've said from day one he wouldn't make it and it's frankly amazing he is still with us. How on earth he was rewarded with a new 4 year deal, at £120k/week, just last year is absolutely beyond me. For me Jones' has only survived here due to a culture of mismanagement and wholesale bad decision making by those in charge. We're not getting back amongst the elite giving squad places for 5 years to the likes of Phil fecking Jones and his exit, which I'm sure is imminent, will be another marker that we are back in business.

He was never good enough, not in a million years, and the odd good game here and there isn't evidence of otherwise.

Loublaze

ATLien
I've said from day one he wouldn't make it and it's frankly amazing he is still with us. How on earth he was rewarded with a new 4 year deal, at £120k/week, just last year is absolutely beyond me. For me Jones' has only survived here due to a culture of mismanagement and wholesale bad decision making by those in charge. We're not getting back amongst the elite giving squad places for 5 years to the likes of Phil fecking Jones and his exit, which I'm sure is imminent, will be another marker that we are back in business.

He was never good enough, not in a million years, and the odd good game here and there isn't evidence of otherwise.
I don't know where you're getting your figures from, but he's on 80k not 120.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I don't know where you're getting your figures from, but he's on 80k not 120.
Fair enough. It's still £80k too much though and he needs fecking off. Then he can go ballooning around in away ends with a different set of fans.

Loublaze

ATLien
Fair enough. It's still £80k too much though and he needs fecking off. Then he can go ballooning around in away ends with a different set of fans.
I agree. He hasn't shown any progress in his time at United whatsoever

Robertd0803

Smalling was injured a lot till last season too.
I think Jones will turn his fitness around. He'll be great.
All we need to do.. is Bo...
Bo.....Lieve? :D:D:D:D:D never thought I would see a Bo Dallas reference in a Phil Jones thread :lol:

On a serious note, had the potential but the somewhat minor issue of never actually being fit/uninjured means we cannot rely on him. I would be very surprised if Mourinho didn't ship him out somewhere very quickly.

marlowe78

With Bailly here, logic tells you that one of the CBs is going. I hope to hell that it's Jones and not Blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.