Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Scoring a penalty by running up and heading it into the net should do the trick.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
How many injuries will he cause to our players this season? *Sweepstake*

I'm going for 6.

ZDwyr

I thought he was decent. He has this tendency to follow his man into the midfield though, and it leaves a lot of space in behind. I think it cost us a goal against West Brom last season where he did the same thing. Probably just needs to communicate better with whoever the CM is that is playing in front of him.

Ixion

For every good thing he does I feel he's just as likely to gift the opposition a chance. He has time on his side but shouldn't be starting ahead of Smalling yet.

kundalini

He looks so uncomfortable in possession. Seemed to be forever getting us into trouble.

Walters_19_MuFc

Van Gaal will always encourage his defenders to come out with the strikers when they drop. Just needs to just stand instead of always trying to win it when he gets there, but apart from that, I thought he was fine.

Devil may care

Still has that tendency to try and win the un-winnable when he just needs to hold his position and shadow the player, but overall I thought he was decent today.

marlowe78

I thought he was going to get sent off for a bit but he was fairly good.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I liked it every time he barged into Suarez and sent the cannibal toppling. :drool:
Players like Fellaini and Jones make me happy that way - they might get cards and injure people and play horrible football at times, but all teams need enforcers to deal with cnuts from time to time.

That said, don't want either of them to start for us. We have sorted the midfield out, now time for a new CB. With his clumsiness on the ball, poor positioning, rash behaviour and frequent injuries, no way Jones can be counted upon as a regular starter.

King_Eric

Blind not yet being aware he's playing as CB today isn't helping much either though.

El-Manos

He's very bad today, in fact he has been quite bad for a while now. Really needs to step it up if he wants to stay here. Smalling on another level at the moment and will be very disappointed if Smalling does not start on the 8th of August.

Bojan11

He gets caught out far too much by long balls for my liking.

FromTheBench

It was the Aguero goal from last season all over again. He needs to be switched on at the near post.

Though schweinsteiger should have also tracked properly.

FujiVice

I'll shit in my trousers if he becomes our first choice centre back....

Better yet, I'll shit in someone else's trousers.
Well you can forget me, because there's already shit in my trousers after the first goal.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
If he played for one of our rivals he'd be a laughing stock on here.
Yep, I've said the same many times on here.

Donkey brained defender who becomes a semi-cult figure because of his unfortunate face and clumsiness. Next one after Evans who needs to be phased out.

Devil may care

Smalling is contemplating eating a bullet from Hank Voight in Chicago right now, Jones positioning and concentration just are not up to it against any forwards with good movement.

At fault for both goals today. Hes got all the attributes to be a great player but he just does not use his brain. I started to think a year or two ago he wasn't going to make it here and after games like today I might be right.

lem8sh

At fault for both goals today. Hes got all the attributes to be a great player but he just does not use his brain. I started to think a year or two ago he wasn't going to make it here and after games like today I might be right.
The footballing brain is the most important aspect for any aspiring talent and Jones footballing brain isn't good enough for him to ever be a top centre half.

Kakeru

The footballing brain is the most important aspect for any aspiring talent and Jones footballing brain isn't good enough for him to ever be a top centre half.
This.

The higher-ups at United should have thrown the towel on Phil Jones a long time ago when it became clear that he has zero brains.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
At the risk of being quoted in the mental posts thread, sell him right now. I know it's preseason but he is not and will never be good enough.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I wouldn't sell him, however FFS add some quality competition at CB. We need it

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has the IQ of dusty bin on the football pitch.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't see how he can be first choice ahead of Smalling. He doesn't own his area like Smalling, isn't as strong and isn't as natural a defender.

Distracted Steward

He's got to start the game better if he is going to improve. I'm repeating myself with this, but he is too often having to belatedly react.

Salling made this changeand look at the improvement. Without Jones' athleticism he looked like he just wasn't good enough. Starts reading the game and dealing with matters when they're manageable and bam, class center half.

Jones is caught in the same rut. Sometimes he can scramble and make it work, but sometimes--like tonight--he just can't. It simply de-pants the defense.

It's a total lack of thought and instinct. He's like a lab chasing a thrown tenis ball: no thought on how it will bounce or where it will go, just chase it. Well, no, Phil. 'Fraid your gonna have to start thinkin' here, bud.

He let Ibrahimović go right by and split him and Blind. He assumed Blind would cover, but he was nowhere near. He simply didn't know where his partner was. It's fair to say they are a new pairing, but look if you don't know. He has to have the instinct to defend from the inside out. Lock down the deep inside defense and expand from there.

AKDevil

At the start of the summer if we had bought two new centre backs nobody would have been surprised. To not buy any and find ourselves in a situation where this klutz has somehow manouvered himself into a position where he looks first choice is absolutely criminal from LVG. My only hope is LVG has given him a run, a final chance, just to prove he is not good enough.

Mali_Zeus

At the start of the summer if we had bought two new centre backs nobody would have been surprised. To not buy any and find ourselves in a situation where this klutz has somehow manouvered himself into a position where he looks first choice is absolutely criminal from LVG. My only hope is LVG has given him a run, a final chance, just to prove he is not good enough.
He did say after the game he hasnt decided on RCB.

Ixion

I've said it for ages, he's a liability but compared to Smalling, Evans, Blind, everyone else he gets the benefit of the doubt and you get called mad for questioning him. He needs to up his concentration.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
He's really not very good. Too often a liability and has he improved at all since we signed him? I don't think so. I have hope for Smalling but don't see Jones being anything other than a rash O'Shea.

Status
Not open for further replies.