Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'm hoping Jose can get the best out of him, really feel like he's on his last chance with TFM & Tuanzebe coming through.

Crimson King

Can't believe he's still only 24!

Always forget how young he was when we signed him. Such high hopes for him at the time.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
This thread won't reach 5 pages.
Imagine if he takes more corners this season than pages in this thread. Could have been practicing all summer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can't believe he's still only 24!

Always forget how young he was when we signed him. Such high hopes for him at the time.
Young enough that he shouldn't be written off. Mourinho's record at keeping players fit is seriously impressive. If he can work his magic on Jones/Smalling they could be a quality partnership who will only get better over the next several years.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
All coaches want to make Phil Jones their first choice in pre-season until he fractures anything or everything during an average poop session.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Still only 24?! Wow.

Had really, really high hopes for him and Smalling as a partnership. Part of me is really pleased that Jose seems to have given the pair first choice assurances. Besides, we always have Bailly to cover for the inevitable injury. Now Smalling has really developed, he can perhaps help Jones out a little, who I did think was the much better of the two at first.

Also, don't underestimate the impact Faria can have on teams, shown by Mourinho's excellent track record with injuries.

Philosophobic

Formerly known as united4eva
Sometimes I feel like one of very of the few who really rate Jones it seems, I do really hope he can find consistency with his body and become a regular in the 11 again.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Young enough that he shouldn't be written off. Mourinho's record at keeping players fit is seriously impressive. If he can work his magic on Jones/Smalling they could be a quality partnership who will only get better over the next several years.
Smalling made 55 starts last season, he's fine fitness wise. He'll need some serious voodoo-like magic to work Jones over though.

R'hllor

If JM do his blood voodoo thing and Jones stays fit,i wouldnt move him away,think injury free he would be more then decent for us.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If he'll survive pre-season then it's already a progress but after that he needs to improve his decision making.

Long way out of hell.

Minimalist

Make no mistake. The rest of the league will be delighted to hear we're going to use him as first choice. Don't even pretend otherwise.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Worth remembering that people would have said the same thing if I talked about Smalling playing 55 games a year or two ago (when he was older than Jones is now)
I suppose that's true, but I have this totally non-scientific inkling that he's more of a Costa type case than one who will grow out of his injuries like Smalling, and will continue to accumulate the 'niggling knocks' all season. Let's hope that isn't the case though!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Mourinho can work magic with his injuries then I have no doubt he can turn into a good player. Didnt play at all last season, but the year before generaply played quite well. Was great when fit under Fergie and did well under Moyes. Fitness always the issue, so we will see what happens. I have always had some hope for him to still come good so lets home Mourinho can get him to stay fit and fulfill the early potential he had.

SirAF

Ageist
Worth remembering that people would have said the same thing if I talked about Smalling playing 55 games a year or two ago (when he was older than Jones is now)
Very good point. I think Smalling's had about two relatively injury free seasons now? Unthinkable a while back and there is not reason why Jones can't turn it around too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I trust Mourinho defensively so if he's happy with a Smalling/Jones partnership then that's fair enough.

Unless his medical staff are miracle workers though, the partnership won't last too long. Hopefully Bailly adapts quickly so we're not left exposed if/when the injuries do keep coming.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sometimes I feel like one of very of the few who really rate Jones it seems, I do really hope he can find consistency with his body and become a regular in the 11 again.
I'm not sure many don't rate him as such, they simply realise you can't trust a guy who plays two then misses 10 repeatedly

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Injuries, decision making and technical ability. The 3 big question marks that will need to be answered for him to be a key player here.

Philosophobic

Formerly known as united4eva
Needs an injury free season under his belt to change fans perception of him.
No doubt his injuries have hurt him immensely, but there is a difference between injured and no good, I feel that due to his injuries it seems people have forgotten how good of a player he was. I would agree with Jose that on available defenders he and Smalling are clearly first choice for mine if and when fully fit. I have not seen Bailly so I can't say he is clearly better than Jones.

I'm not sure many don't rate him as such, they simply realise you can't trust a guy who plays two then misses 10 repeatedly
That's fair and lets hope he has a run of good luck to give himself some confidence in his body. I feel his style of play where he throws his body in all sorts of situations causes some of his injury problems.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
What was the deal with him towards the tail end of last season? I don't watch U21 matches, but just from skimming reports it seemed like he was playing there regularly for a couple of months, without being able to step up back to the first team, or have I completely misread?

Hopefully that's the end of any notions of him starting for us. Its like Christmas for Aubameyang.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
One of those players whose reputation grows when he's injured. Headless chicken. Cannot defend for toffee and has no positional sense whatsoever.

Robbie Boy

I'm surprised he's lasted here as long as he has. Never wanted him but he started well for us. Since then, it's been downhill with a horrible injury record and lack of form. Reminds me of Anderson, in that he is taking up the position of a potential signing and is stealing a living at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.