Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Smith

The nature of this forum, sometimes. Periods of temporary gain or loss of form is enough of a basis for many individuals to judge them on. Jones carries the ball forward very well; is good with the ball at his feet and has superb defensive nous. Injuries aside, he is a prime example of Sir Alex knowing what makes for a good defender when the physical side holds up.
To be fair, we all thought Jones was class when he signed, he was great in that first season. There was clearly a top defender in there from a very young age. His troubles in the years since have come from injuries and that weird central midfield experiment. Its been great to see him performing well week-in, week-out.

Water Melon

Saved our arses a couple of times yesterday. Very good game from him. Hopefully, no more injuries till the end of the season as well as at the WC in the summer.

Hoof the ball

To be fair, we all thought Jones was class when he signed, he was great in that first season. There was clearly a top defender in there from a very young age. His troubles in the years since have come from injuries and that weird central midfield experiment. Its been great to see him performing well week-in, week-out.
Yep. I always felt like people forgot that Jones had a propensity from the very beginning to go on surging runs with the ball up the field. He's very good at this. Always has been.

Ashley R1+O

Would he get a shot for World Cup spot?
I think he's first name on the sheet. I guarantee though he'll be lanced completely if England have a wobble of any kind. He's in superb form at the moment though, not sure about the Jones/Smalling combo it doesn't have enough level headed clean defending but both are in superb touch as individuals and it is getting is through.

Classical Mechanic

Southgate said this about Jones earlier in the season

"Not just this season but there was a long period in the middle of last season where I think he has been the best defender,“

"He's got very good composure on the ball. He's got the reading of the game, he's aggressive in his defending - which I like - and I think he has got fantastic experience, although he is still only relatively young.

"Obviously he has missed a lot of football. I remember watching him against Spain under Fabio [Capello] so we are going back quite a long way since he made his debut.

"He's had great experiences with club and country. He organises well, he competes well so I'm delighted we've been able to involve him this time and it was clear the other night [against Malta] what he brings to the team."

Phil has gone from strength to strength since. He will start for England if fit.

Ibi Dreams

I was saying I wouldn't mind him sold last summer :lol:

to be fair it was always about his fitness. He has been pretty solid for us for years now, just couldn't be relied on. Still don't know how much we can depend on him because of injury problems, but he has certainly done a great job this season. We have some real quality at CB with him, Bailly, Rojo and Smalling, just a shame that there always seems to be an injury somewhere between them

meamth

Create from the back? Excellent ball control?

I don't give a feck. In terms of pure defending, he is the best in the club.

slored1

He's been absolutely brilliant this season. A real commander of our defence and deserves new contract.

Revaulx

Weird? He did well there away to Real Madrid :drool:

RedRoach

The difference between Smalling and him is like night and day. He is a rock whilst Smalling makes me nervous every time he touches the ball. I truly hope we have a fitness regime that keeps him on track.

Mr Smith

The difference between Smalling and him is like night and day. He is a rock whilst Smalling makes me nervous every time he touches the ball. I truly hope we have a fitness regime that keeps him on track.
I actually think Smalling has improved a lot this season, but I agree with the general sentiment that Jones is a much better player.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
As a pair I think there is something there to work with, as both have complimentary strengths, but due to a lack of resilience between the pair of them, we don't see them play together enough for them to create that chemistry.

I predict that Bailly goes straight back in to centre back when he's 100% fit again (even though he was poor earlier in the season and not as good as he was last year) so Jones and Smalling are most likely in a fight to be Bailly's partner than staking their claim as a partnership. I'm a big fan of Smalling, but Jones is winning that race as it stands.

Nickosaur

What is slightly encouraging is that Phil has actually been injured this season. Luckily he wasn't out for long and it didn't seem to affect his level of performance too badly.

Whereas in the past, even small injuries seem to drag out for months and months, with the odd appearance here and there. Impossible to get any consistency with fitness problems like that.

Nickosaur

I actually think Smalling has improved a lot this season, but I agree with the general sentiment that Jones is a much better player.
Yeah I think Smalling is actually pretty great. But agree with you too.

LLMU

His anticipation has improved so much that he doesn't do last ditch tackle or go sliding into tackles now. Really impress with him and feel that he played better on the left side of central defence.

Icemav

Smalling is a rock defensivly, and I would argue better than Jones, not by a lot though. However Smallings play on the ball is atrocious.... I dont use that word lightly. It causes us so many problems against teams with a high press and our attacks die before we even get to midfield. We are forced to hoof it even when Smalling has ample time to bring it out. He butchers our build up play.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Smalling is a rock defensivly, and I would argue better than Jones, not by a lot though. However Smallings play on the ball is atrocious.... I dont use that word lightly. It causes us so many problems against teams with a high press and our attacks die before we even get to midfield. We are forced to hoof it even when Smalling has ample time to bring it out. He butchers our build up play.
Jones is comfortably better than any of our other centerbacks at everything, except maybe Blind's distribution. Smalling has at least one brain fart every now and then when he cannot defend a corner without ripping the jersey off his man and he's prone to giving away the odd penalty and cheap fouls in dangerous areas. Jones is exceptional at defending without fouling. Smalling is a lot more reliable health-wise though.

Icemav

Jones is comfortably better than any of our other centerbacks at everything, except maybe Blind's distribution. Smalling has at least one brain fart every now and then when he cannot defend a corner without ripping the jersey off his man and he's prone to giving away the odd penalty and cheap fouls in dangerous areas. Jones is exceptional at defending without fouling. Smalling is a lot more reliable health-wise though.
Agree Jones is the better player but I think you are being hyper critical of Smalling defensively. He may not be perfect but is his only strong point. Without it he would be utter garbage.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Agree Jones is the better player but I think you are being hyper critical of Smalling defensively. He may not be perfect but is his only strong point. Without it he would be utter garbage.
Ofcourse he is very good compared to the average defender but he's certainly not better than Jones at any aspect except may be attacking corners. Although none of our center backs have chipped in with goals in a long while.

Tapori

I don;t want to jinx the lad, but injuries permitting he's really maturing.
Needs to still get a good run like he did with rojo last season to iron out a few Wes Brown "I think I've left the oven on at home/did I remember to series-link record that new drama" moments.

And a big slap in the face of knee-jerkers who wanted him-anyone not putting in 9/10 performances- immediately sold to buy the next big hope.

One thing to add:
You're starting to see him be confident now and time his bursts forward to break lines and contribute up the pitch. This is what I'm pleased with most. Even Smalling is growing in confidence to do this. Good lads. Good coaching by Mourinho.

Special mention: Smalling has done well. What's the record when those 2 play a full 90 together as CBs? (As rare as that is)

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
He was excellent on Saturday but he’s far from reliably solid. Still too many desperate, off-balance, last ditch moments to call him one of the best on the league yet.

poleglass red

good to see him start putting in some consistent performances, same with Shaw. Jones isn't making those needless too brave for his own good challenges, his positioning is getting a lot better. Fair play to him.

izec

Losing the header can happen, but our shape in general was shit. No one was close to the Spurs players, Smalling had to block and Young didnt pick up the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.