Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Why don't people rate him?
Because he's English and he gets injured a lot.

The 'Caf is very fickle though. The comments today would have you believe he's world class, next time he has a bad game and most of the comments in here will be about selling him as soon as possible.

I think he's our best defender, and he's my highest rated player all season. I just wish he could stay fit. It's frustrating.

SER19

He’s a fantastic player when fit and on a run of games. I have absolutely nothing against him but if a more reliable option of similar quality was available I’d offload Jones ahead of our others, purely based on fitness. History has taught us that no matter how much you want it for a player, an injury prone player will likely remain that way.

LoneStar

Poeply confused about him. One hand he keeps getting injured time and again, but when he plays, he gives it his all. Very good performance today.

Do we go ahead and buy another CB, when we have pretty good ones already? Especially considering we need to upgrade both our fullbacks.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Had a great game, he almost always does - the oxymoron being that he’s reliable when he’s available.

Loved when he’s as pumping up Smalling at the end :drool:

Kag

There's something to said for Jones in that every manager he has played under has absolutely loved him, putting him in the side whenever fit.

Allardyce, Capello, Ferguson, Van Gaal and Mourinho have all played him whenever he's fit. The latter variable being the glaring issue, as always.

Gopher Brown

Poeply confused about him. One hand he keeps getting injured time and again, but when he plays, he gives it his all. Very good performance today.

Do we go ahead and buy another CB, when we have pretty good ones already? Especially considering we need to upgrade both our fullbacks.
Unfortunately that’s a big part of the reason he gets injured a lot. You never see Smalling diving in to challenges or putting his head in the way like Jones does, but equally Smalling doesn’t get injured as much.

I’ve said it many times, Jones is our best centre back, but we need to cut our losses because he’s just so unreliable.

A-man

Thing is, what happens if all CBs stay injury free? Will Mourinho continue always playing Smalling and rotate the other place for Jones/Bailey/Lindelöf/Rojo? If all stay injury free I believe they are too good to sit on the bench 75% of the time.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Big fan of Jones but that alone wouldn’t stop me looking to acquire Alderweireld; he’d be the perfect partner for both Smalling and Jones.

I’d also look at Jones as a muscular Brown/Ivanovic-type rightback too; could do no worse than Valencia.

And to those suggesting he’s sold due to injuries; surely the first out the door if that’s the criteria should be Bailly, who’s injured more often in the past two years, and even when he has played has been chaotic anyway.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Unfortunately that’s a big part of the reason he gets injured a lot. You never see Smalling diving in to challenges or putting his head in the way like Jones does, but equally Smalling doesn’t get injured as much.

I’ve said it many times, Jones is our best centre back, but we need to cut our losses because he’s just so unreliable.
Most of Jones' injuries have nothing to do with him going in too hard. Smalling had his fair share of injuries earlier in his career, and a bit rich to say Smalling doesn't do it when Smalling is the one who broke Jones' toe and sidelined him for 10 games last season.

Loublaze

ATLien
Jones is a top lad but he needs to go this summer. The same tough decision had to be made with fan favorite Rafael. How long will United wait for his injury problems to end? They won't go away. He's been here for 7 seasons and has only managed over 30 total apps in a single season twice, in his first season and in 2013 five years ago. In his last four seasons he's failed to play in more than 22 league games. What good is he having around when he's so unreliable?

edgar allan

Jones is a top lad but he needs to go this summer. The same tough decision had to be made with fan favorite Rafael. How long will United wait for his injury problems to end? They won't go away. He's been here for 7 seasons and has only managed over 30 total apps in a single season twice, in his first season and in 2013 five years ago. In his last four seasons he's failed to play in more than 22 league games. What good is he having around when he's so unreliable?
I disagree. He has been cursed with injuries that is obvious however he has contributed a lot this season had good runs of fitness.
When he is fit he starts and if we get 20 plus matches a season from him then he is easily worth his place in the squad

Loublaze

ATLien
I disagree. He has been cursed with injuries that is obvious however he has contributed a lot this season had good runs of fitness.
When he is fit he starts and if we get 20 plus matches a season from him then he is easily worth his place in the squad
He's only getting those games because United haven't had a settled centerback pairing since Fergie left. Jones is a huge reason for that because managers keep thinking he'll turn a page and finally become a consistent performer and reliable player. I don't see it ever happening. Perhaps he'll stay on as a squad player but if Bailly comes good or United sign another quality CB who can stay fit I won't see Jones having much use at United. I think he'll end up at a club like Everton but he'll probably get at least one more season here.

edgar allan

He's only getting those games because United haven't had a settled centerback pairing since Fergie left. Jones is a huge reason for that because managers keep thinking he'll turn a page and finally become a consistent performer and reliable player. I don't see it ever happening. Perhaps he'll stay on as a squad player but if Bailly comes good or United sign another quality CB who can stay fit I won't see Jones having much use at United. I think he'll end up at a club like Everton but he'll probably get at least one more season here.
I think he is getting those games because he is the best centre back we have.
Centre halfs get lots of injuries and all ours have been injured this year, obviously Jones leads the way on the injury front.
I think Bailly has a good way to go before he takes his place and I don't see Lindelof ever managing that. Maybe if we bring two top class CB's in maybe but I think it will be full backs only this year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Doubt Barca would put up with Messi if he was this unreliable.
Please get rid.

James_42

Can't rely on him at all, no chance Jose is getting rid of Smalling before Jones.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Time to say goodbye now; shame because he’s good when fit, but it’s too far now.

Offer him to Everton for Coleman.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What a joke. Just affecting the consistency of the team now. He's alright but it's not like he's a Vidic when he plays so is worth keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.