Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Just remember that this isnt the kind of match we play every week. He's been fine against most teams in the league. But if you ever wanted a match with a better CB playing, then one where Hazard is running at your defence centrally is probably that type of game.

I said before in the match thread, that moment with Hazard reminded me of Torres Vs. Vidic. Vidic was completely at sea against him and made errors, and it happened in more than 1 match. It doesnt mean Vidic wasnt a great CB though. It just means it was a very bad matchup for Vidic where he would get exposed against that certain opponent or style of player.

Kag

Who'd be a defender at Manchester United?

Making any mistakes will have you hung, drawn and quartered because any goal conceded against a half decent side is usually what defines the match. Because we sure as feck weren't scoring today.

It was a bad error, but Jones isn't even close to being the problem. He's had a very good season when fit.

Siorac

Ive always been of the opinion that irrespective of Jose’s negative tactics no manager worth his salt could ever afford to play attacking football with our back 4. Not only are they utterly incapable of cutting out catastrophic mistakes that lead to goals but also hopeless of providing any attacking threat.

For too long the likes of Jones, Smalling et al have hid behind the brilliance of DDG. They simply have no place in a utd squad, and I will question where they would find regular football in the current PL...probably bottom 10, just about their level with the likes of J Evans!
Again, why doesn't Mourinho play the defenders that he signed?

Chairman Steve

I’m amazed he got taken to the World Cup ahead of Smalling.

Yeah he made the boo-boo which made us lose the game but he’s so inconsistent performance wise and fitness wise to trust if we want to win the things we want to win.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Making any mistakes will have you hung, drawn and quartered because any goal conceded against a half decent side is usually what defines the match. Because we sure as feck weren't scoring today.

It was a bad error, but Jones isn't even close to being the problem. He's had a very good season when fit.
Well, it changes the game. Chelsea never moved out of their half after they scored. Plus, we had plenty of chances to score today.

Kag

Well, it changes the game. Chelsea never moved out of their half after they scored. Plus, we had plenty of chances to score today.
Plenty of chances to score my ring.

Pogba headed the ball wide from a corner and Rashford had a powerful shot on goal. We created sod all.

Litch

Jury is always out with this lad and just when you think he's turned a corner, he's either injured or makes a game changing error...

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Plenty of chances to score my ring.

Pogba headed the ball wide from a corner and Rashford had a powerful shot on goal. We created sod all.
Matic had a shot saved, Rashford had a shot saved, Pogbas deflected header, Rashford missed a good chance at the end of the first half, plenty of failed corners and free kicks. I mean, what the feck do you want?

A-man

You are right, but what Jones did today does not fall in to the category "mistakes", it is poor judgement (and poor positioning).

Ekeke

Unfortunately some CBs dont face that same backlash. When Bailly makes a mistake he doesnt get the same reaction as our English CBs.

But yeah its a really toxic treatment of Smalling & Jones in particular.

Park's Petrified Pooch

He actually makes 5 errors in one. Firstly he begins by backing away from the incoming long ball, presumably thinking of taking it down after it bounces. Then he realises Hazard is moving onto it and changes his mind. But instead of turning to run back towards goal, he squares himself up by turning the wrong way, meaning he’s now completely static as Hazars collects the ball. He gamely runs back, but takes the long way round to get on the inside, which is a double mistake because he’s so one footed that he always wants to make the tackle with his right foot and this would be easier from the outside, and it also takes him longer. The final coupe de grace is that of you watch it back Hazard does not at any stage draw his foot to shoot. He has no intention of shooting. He’s waiting for the tackle which Jones duly obliged with. An impossible tackle with the wrong foot. It was really something to behold.

Litch

Our previous CB generally lost goals through individual brilliance but now it's often down to individual errors. All our defenders have it in them....

vangagal

If not for Fergie's Duncan Edwards mantra on him, i dont believe he will last 7 long years here. We have Sanchez for good 6 months and people already want to get rid but this Phil Jones still makes people believe him will come good?

AP88

Supports
Man City
If not for Fergie's Duncan Edwards mantra on him, i dont believe he will last 7 long years here. We have Sanchez for good 6 months and people already want to get rid but this Phil Jones still makes people believe him will come good?
Ever occurred to anyone that Duncan Edwards might have been flawed too, and not some perpetually perfect mythical footballer, that he was posthumously declared?

Charlton played with him and made the comparison - he’s certainly qualified to make the statement.

Devil may care

He's unreliable due to his injury prone nature but I thought he was a bit unlucky today on the goal, Hazard's technique and pace just did him.

He's unreliable due to his injury prone nature but I thought he was a bit unlucky today on the goal, Hazard's technique and pace just did him.
Unlucky? The guy just doesn't think.
There was no need for him to go to ground with the angle Hazard was at.

U99ted

Poor on the penalty, but we have more pressing issues than our CBs like Jones. If we had even close to a decent attack, one goal wouldn't be beating us. Take the league cup final of 2010. A much better CB gave away a penalty to put us 1-0 down. The likes of Rooney and Owen meant we still won.

Yet again a brainless moment of panic and it costs us, only this time on a massive stage. How many times do we need to see the zoomed in camera angle of that gormless look him and Smalling have when they cost us a goal. Smalling has established himself as useful through his consistency but there is no point keeping Jones around any more. He just doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

Kostov

A goal against Stoke, an own goal disallowed against Chelsea in the league (luckily), an own goal against Spurs, stupid penalty today, what more do some of you need? Feck him, not fecking good enough. End off, he should be sold.

Wilt

Brainless lump of a defender, who's simply just not good enough. I hope that was his last game for Utd.

el3mel

Poor on the penalty, but we have more pressing issues than our CBs like Jones. If we had even close to a decent attack, one goal wouldn't be beating us. Take the league cup final of 2010. A much better CB gave away a penalty to put us 1-0 down. The likes of Rooney and Owen meant we still won.
How are you comparing a final against Aston Villa to a final against Chelsea ? Giving Chelsea a stupid goal to defend on just gave them a huge advantage. They're poor going forward, they were never going to score except with this and you gave them this and let them play to their strength by defending the whole game. It's absolutely mental.

This just shows how clueless is he and how we're dependent on De Gea and Smalling only in defending. Doing such a mistake in a final, fecking hell. Sums him up.

Should be thrown out to a midtable club in summer.

Lightbringer

If Jones had gotten the ball slightly and nudged it forward a few inches, would is still have been a penalty then as he took down Hazard? I think Hazard is basicly positioning himself to "fall into" Jones and is selling it.

Swift Football

Never liked him, even when he is fully fit. But I dont blame him for today. Mistakes do happen in match, our team should be able to create and score, especially when enough time is remaining in the match.

And another thing, who will we start instead of Jones? Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof all have weaknesses. The real problem is JOnes is still starting after we spend 30M on Bailly and 40M on Lindelof. At this rate, we can spend 1billion dollars and same back 4 would be starting after 5 years.

Eddy_JukeZ

I just don't trust him in big games and he's just so clumsy out there.

Always has a mistake out there.

Zoo

His top level is Everton. He’d be a decent replacement for Jagielka.

automaticflare

Bit of an overboard reaction. Hazard would have probably scored anyway. He tried to stop it and got it wrong. Oh well, moving on.

He isn't the reason we lost. That was a lack of creativity and penetration up front.

Yup as usual there is a feckin stupid narrative that jones was getting lynched

If a Chelsea player done that to us today no goal. (I mean unsureness going for the initial ball or dropping off) Hazard was world class for that one moment today and that was the difference. Touch into space, body shape, crossed jones path and was 3 yards from goal what if jones just let him shoot. He had to make that tackle or at least attempt it.

One world class moment separated 2 teams who basically cancelled each other out for the rest of the game

Bojan11

Just remember that this isnt the kind of match we play every week. He's been fine against most teams in the league. But if you ever wanted a match with a better CB playing, then one where Hazard is running at your defence centrally is probably that type of game.

I said before in the match thread, that moment with Hazard reminded me of Torres Vs. Vidic. Vidic was completely at sea against him and made errors, and it happened in more than 1 match. It doesnt mean Vidic wasnt a great CB though. It just means it was a very bad matchup for Vidic where he would get exposed against that certain opponent or style of player.
Torres bulldozed past Ferdinand. Nothing was ever made out of it.

The issue is with Jones these performances are far too frequent.

He had a similar situation against Arnautovic where he dives in and was lucky that Arnautovic stayed on his feet. He doesn’t think and these sort of challenges are happening too many times.

U99ted

How are you comparing a final against Aston Villa to a final against Chelsea ? Giving Chelsea a stupid goal to defend on just gave them a huge advantage. They're poor going forward, they were never going to score except with this and you gave them this and let them play to their strength by defending the whole game. It's absolutely mental.

This just shows how clueless is he and how we're dependent on De Gea and Smalling only in defending. Doing such a mistake in a final, fecking hell. Sums him up.

Should be thrown out to a midtable club in summer.
Well tbf Aston Villa didn't have a Hazard. And you might have forgotten, but Smalling made mistakes that got himself sent off in a final (plus an own goal in a semi final). Even with a Jones screwup, we shouldn't be going 70 minutes without getting a goal back.

el3mel

Well tbf Aston Villa didn't have a Hazard. And you might have forgotten, but Smalling made mistakes that got himself sent off in a final (plus an own goal in a semi final). Even with a Jones screwup, we shouldn't be going 70 minutes without getting a goal back.
Smalling hasn't fecked us up in a final like what Jones did. The sent off in 2016 final wasn't of that important, actually if I remembered correctly it stopped a Palace counter attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.