Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
What SAF saw in him I'll never know. He's a calamity.
When he bought him he was a promising young defender, now is it down to Phil or the club that he has not developed. The recent constant changing of managers might not have done him any favours, but he also picks up a lot of injuries, a lot of which are his own fault.

Seanus

Just watched it again on the News-Steven Hawkins would have made it more difficult for Hazard.....

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not really, a turd is a turd. So because it’s a game we’re only half interested in he decides to not care as much and just let hazard by? Whatever way you sell it he’s not the sort of player United needs.
He's one of the best attacking players in the world in fairness.
It's not like it was Fellaini dribbling past him.

Stadjer

What SAF saw in him I'll never know. He's a calamity.
He had big potential. He was very good for a young defender but because of all the injuries and likely the lack of (football) intelligence he just hasnt improved much since he signed.

I do expect him to stay for the next season, have a few good games and collect some praise until he gets injured and/or has a brainfart moment.

Also.. please dont ever put him on the field when playing against Hazard ever again.

FujiVice

He's the number one trend on twitter, basically everyone on earth talking about how shit he is in various languages. Poor sod hasnt had the best couple of months.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
When he bought him he was a promising young defender, now is it down to Phil or the club that he has not developed. The recent constant changing of managers might not have done him any favours, but he also picks up a lot of injuries, a lot of which are his own fault.
Yeah he was highly promising. I thought he was really going to be someone at Blackburn and then in his first year at Man Utd. Although, I never quite got why Sir Alex Ferguson compared him to Duncan Edwards. I mean I get why, it's just I don't get it in a sense that he's never nowhere that talanted of a player. That's what I meant. Anyway, quicker he moves on the better.

Classical Mechanic

People are being a bit harsh. The pass was actually a bad one and too close to him but tempted him to going for it when his body shape was wrong, once he had gone for it and missed it he was done for.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@Stadjer

Yeah he was highly promising. I thought he was really going to be someone at Blackburn and then in his first year at Man Utd. Although, I never quite got why Sir Alex Ferguson compared him to Duncan Edwards. I mean I get why, it's just I don't get it in a sense that he's never nowhere that talanted of a player. That's what I meant. Anyway, quicker he moves on the better.

lsd

The Oracle
We cannot have him and Smalliing playing for us again this year . Absolutely terrible defenders

settembrini

Don't know why people have to use Jones constantly being terrible as an excuse to bash Smalling. The latter is an excellent centre back, the former is an injury prone clown.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was never promising defender, but he was promising all around player. His defending was never great, and he was making mistakes when he came here, but he had some other amazing attributes like running through the midfield with the ball, having nice ball control, decent passing, great recovery pace and what not. Now he is nothing like he used to be, he is actually better defender nowadays but still makes some awful mistakes, but he is nowhere near skillfull with the ball as he used to be. I have no idea why some people still think of him as ball playing defender when he is nothing like that, he is actually very panicking with the ball, and most of his passes are backpasses to the keeper. Injuries obviously didn't help, it's actually surprising that he can still make decent run of form with his season being disrupted with so many injuries.

Anyway, I have no idea why is he still here. I wasn't against selling Blind, but surely you would rather keep him who is at least available all the time ahead of Jones who is unreliable as it gets, no matter how good he can play in around 7 games per season.

Eddy_JukeZ

I do agree with @Amar__

I have no idea how he's still here.

But he was definitely talented when he came through. He was somewhat similar to Ramos. I remember that great solo run he had vs Bolton in 2011 that led to a Rooney goal.

Nowadays, he is clumsy. Not that good on the ball. And he's injury prone to the max.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
People are being a bit harsh. The pass was actually a bad one and too close to him but tempted him to going for it when his body shape was wrong, once he had gone for it and missed it he was done for.
This sort of common sense should be banned from this thread. Completely against the spirit of the conversation. Wind your neck in and start slagging off the Manchester United player. That’s the way we roll in here.

AndyJ1985

This sort of common sense should be banned from this thread. Completely against the spirit of the conversation. Wind your neck in and start slagging off the Manchester United player. That’s the way we roll in here.
Get off your high horse.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
There’s some absolute bollox being talked in this thread, with one sensible comment sticking out like a sore thumb. Reasonable criticism is fine but absolute bollox fully deserves a response like my post.
He's just not very good, if he remained fit he'd be an adequate squad player. But he can't do that either. Doubt we'll get a good offer for him anyway given his injury record.

He reminds me of Anderson when he was at the club "he'll come good next season" which was said 4/5 seasons in a row before the penny finally dropped that he was a lost cause.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Then explain in him being yards off the others, thus isolate him and hazard from other defenders.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Referencing SAF is irrelevant. You will never see a prime Jones because he gets injured too often to get to his top level.

His injury proneness makes his brain farts appear more often, he is always trying to get off some rust or playing with his injury still affecting him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I've always said that Jones is too injury prone.
However, in our last game of last season, I saw P.Jones get turned easily by Hazard (an athlete).
The problem is Jones is not an athlete.
In that FA Cup Final and today, we saw Jones up against an athlete and the result was there for everybody to see.

I understand that Hazard is very good, but Jones is simply too large to compete against top class attackers. I would put MacGuire in this bracket, too.

Carl S Bridge

The problem is Jones is no media darling just like pogba, one mistake or bad game has everyone jumping on him proclaiming him to be some sort of calamity.... Everyone makes mistakes FFS. He's a young English centre back. Was in class form earlier in year, which contributed to our excellent defensive record he even put a long run of games together

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I've always said that Jones is too injury prone.
However, in our last game of last season, I saw P.Jones get turned easily by Hazard (an athlete).
The problem is Jones is not an athlete.
In that FA Cup Final and today, we saw Jones up against an athlete and the result was there for everybody to see.

I understand that Hazard is very good, but Jones is simply too large to compete against top class attackers. I would put MacGuire in this bracket, too.
Jones is not an athlete because he is made of glass. Injury proneness just doesn't appear when he gets injured, it manifests on the pitch like you've said. Jones is tripping over himself more and more as his kinetic chains are getting more and more compromised.

You can see how one injury has changed the way Bailly plays, he's playing like he was pre injury and ends up completely out of position because his turning and acceleration are a few percent worse (especially because he had to have surgery). Luckily Bailly is a tank and fast as feck so he can still be a top player.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Its almost as if disaster prone defenders that spend half the season on the treatment table are difficult to move on
Seems like only move he can get is a transfer to another hospital. God knows what exotic stunt on the pitch he'll do next season.

fallengt

I bet he'll injury himself in his first 5 matches of the season again. Probably not bad for us tbh.

lsd

The Oracle
Don't know why people have to use Jones constantly being terrible as an excuse to bash Smalling. The latter is an excellent centre back, the former is an injury prone clown.

They are both terrible Smalling is 28 and plays like he is an 18 yo championship player and Jones is a human disaster .

There is no hope of us winning the title with those two as our main centrebacks

vangagal

The problem is Jones is no media darling just like pogba, one mistake or bad game has everyone jumping on him proclaiming him to be some sort of calamity.... Everyone makes mistakes FFS. He's a young English centre back. Was in class form earlier in year, which contributed to our excellent defensive record he even put a long run of games together
He cant hide behind this young player again ffs. He is 26 not some youngster anymore, already 7 years in United yet people still clamouring for potential he got? One potential he still left is to injure himself.

dove

:lol: You should check his age, I am sure you will be surprised!

Fluctuation0161

Pogba is a media darling?! Wtf!

AndyJ1985

A young English centre back? He's 26 and should be entering his peak years. But he's no better than he was when he joined 7 years ago. I have literally no idea why United fans are happy to persist with wasters who continually fail to impress.

Litch

Just can't be trusted and his mistakes are always bloody costly. Him and Smalling are honest professional players but for me haven't improved, I fact Jones has gone backwards.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
There’s some absolute bollox being talked in this thread, with one sensible comment sticking out like a sore thumb. Reasonable criticism is fine but absolute bollox fully deserves a response like my post.
Classical Mechanic is usually like that from what I've noticed. Not easy on a message board I guess.

Litch

Everything with Jones is 'last ditch'. His kit must often be more dirty than DDG cause he always goes to ground. The combination of both means a player that inevitably going to get injured a lot. Honestly given the length of time he's been here, he should be better than he is and given Jones history of playing midfield, he should be of a standard of Harry or Stones on the ball but he's not....

Aloysius's Back 3

I loved seeing smalling next to Blind - I'd loved to have seen smalling & Jones/bailly playing on either side of a calm defensive presence like Blind - I'd say we could have a defensive line that has a bit of everything we need.

In a two alot of our defenders have weaknesses in partnership.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He was never promising defender, but he was promising all around player. His defending was never great, and he was making mistakes when he came here, but he had some other amazing attributes like running through the midfield with the ball, having nice ball control, decent passing, great recovery pace and what not. Now he is nothing like he used to be, he is actually better defender nowadays but still makes some awful mistakes, but he is nowhere near skillfull with the ball as he used to be. I have no idea why some people still think of him as ball playing defender when he is nothing like that, he is actually very panicking with the ball, and most of his passes are backpasses to the keeper. Injuries obviously didn't help, it's actually surprising that he can still make decent run of form with his season being disrupted with so many injuries.

Anyway, I have no idea why is he still here. I wasn't against selling Blind, but surely you would rather keep him who is at least available all the time ahead of Jones who is unreliable as it gets, no matter how good he can play in around 7 games per season.
Indeed, his best performances came at rightback and he certainly looked a much more comfortable football than he does now; shame, because there was definitely something there at that point, Ferguson and Capello both saw it. But it’d be best for him to go somewhere like Newcastle now and sustain a reasonable career, rather than the one that was initially projected.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Jones is pretty good tbh. He just isn't very very good, so will sometimes end up looking like a mug when he bumps into someone who is world class like Hazard, or even someone like Vardy having a good day. To state the bleeding obvious, it would be nice to replace him with someone better, and not so nice to replace him with someone roughly equal or worse, like Lindelöf.

That's what's frustrating in the end, that we can't get ourselves even one world class centre back of the kind we enjoyed so often in the SAF era.

Status
Not open for further replies.