Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

Why is he not starting our most important game this year, during his best form? I thought he was our best defender.
Poor decision from the manager I would say. The inferior defenders should not be starting over the superior ones.

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't rate Jones highly but I think both him and Smalling should've started against PSG.

Walters_19_MuFc

Happy birthday, Phil.

Be interesting to see who starts against Liverpool. Wasn't in the squad against Chelsea. Not too sure if that was through injury or just being left out.

Either way, in Bailly, Smalling and Jones - as it looks like Lindelof is a mainstay and rightly so, we have three defenders who, on their day, are solid.

Kostov

Happy birthday Phil. Once my favorite United CB, but you broke my heart at Spurs away last season. :lol:

Eat your cake and get packed in the summer please.

Kostov

Didn't the FA Cup final hurt more? :lol:
No, this one was the final straw for me. I was banging about him being the best CB that season in the PL in the period before that match and that performance shattered my confidence in him. I got drunk as well and it was a bad night. :lol:

AP88

Supports
Man City
No, this one was the final straw for me. I was banging about him being the best CB that season in the PL in the period before that match and that performance shattered my confidence in him. I got drunk as well and it was a bad night. :lol:
Agree - he was immense until that point, then reverted to default calamity Jones and made me feel stupid for believing he’d grown out of such stupidity.

To be fair even Southgate, Mourinho etc were of the same opinion and I still think he was the best in the country up to that point, form wise, but he’s been woeful since.

Kostov

Agree - he was immense until that point, then reverted to default calamity Jones and made me feel stupid for believing he’d grown out of such stupidity.

To be fair even Southgate, Mourinho etc were of the same opinion and I still think he was the best in the country up to that point, form wise, but he’s been woeful since.
It speaks a lot about the general sentiment towards Jones doesn't it? I really believed this is it, he's turned a corner finally here is the CB I knew he can become, and bang 11 second into the game we concede and he had the biggest share of blame imo and then he scores an own goal. He's still a very solid CB on his day, but that kind of games sometimes leave a mark on fans, and that was it for me.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Late Happy Birthday Phil!!! Wish you the best, stay fit. I'm sure you will be key on our way back to the top.

Good time to watch some old videos I made of Philip. (I had made plenty more but fecking youtube deleted them)

(defensive midfielder)
(right side of a back 3)

Ekeke

It was my biggest fear before he signed the contract..

Finally had the chance to get rid and give the spot instead to Tuanzebe but i guess it would make too much sense!
You just have to look at the comments from when he was signed up again to see why it wouldnt. They wanted to keep him for his experience. Tuanazebe has none of that. His only chance is to replace one of the newer CBs like Bailly

AlexUTD

You just have to look at the comments from when he was signed up again to see why it wouldnt. They wanted to keep him for his experience. Tuanazebe has none of that. His only chance is to replace one of the newer CBs like Bailly
All the experience in the world wont help when you are injured 75% of the time. Tuanzebe have more calmness with the ball than Jones will ever have so you could have fooled me.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
All the experience in the world wont help when you are injured 75% of the time. Tuanzebe have more calmness with the ball than Jones will ever have so you could have fooled me.
Yeah, its a load of horse shit. So unfair on Tuanzebe. Imagine being told you wont play because you don't have the experience at a top level club, while you can't get the experience at a top level club because they wont let you play. It's that old chestnut. Jones has been awarded the time needed at the club to build up experience but has done very little with it so far, so by those same standards Tuanzebe should be awarded the same time. He has to jump ahead of Jones for this to happen.

quackattack

Just a thought. Could he become "the new Matic"? Since he used to play on the midtfield a lot more in his earlier years (and still young) and we need a backup for this position.
This would (if successful) "make space" for us to purchase a new cb (De Ligt please), and he can still fill in as CB if we need.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Just a thought. Could he become "the new Matic"? Since he used to play on the midtfield a lot more in his earlier years (and still young) and we need a backup for this position.
This would (if successful) "make space" for us to purchase a new cb (De Ligt please), and he can still fill in as CB if we need.
Matic was an attacking midfielder turned into a dependable, technically efficient defensive midfielder. So no. Jones in midfield would be more like "the old Bastian" than "the new Matic"

Ekeke

Yeah, its a load of horse shit. So unfair on Tuanzebe. Imagine being told you wont play because you don't have the experience at a top level club, while you can't get the experience at a top level club because they wont let you play. It's that old chestnut. Jones has been awarded the time needed at the club to build up experience but has done very little with it so far, so by those same standards Tuanzebe should be awarded the same time. He has to jump ahead of Jones for this to happen.
Thats not the argument at all.

He can play if he's viewed as a better squad option than the other non-veteran CBs - Bailly, Rojo and Lindelof

Theres times over the season where Smalling wont be available and Jones experience will be handy.

Canagel

No because you need to be able to pass in midfield. All these English defenders turn to Bambi on ice when told to pass from the back , how will they do it in midfield?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Thats not the argument at all.

He can play if he's viewed as a better squad option than the other non-veteran CBs - Bailly, Rojo and Lindelof

Theres times over the season where Smalling wont be available and Jones experience will be handy.
Fine. I disagree since my point could apply for Bailly as well, and I certainly hope we're going to sign a CB. Koulibialy, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe is certainly enough.

haram

Lindelof, Smalling, New CB, Tuanzebe as back up. Bailly, Rojo and Jones, I dont mind if they leave.

stevoc

So is Phil sick or injured again? Or both?

Hasn't even played since he signed that new fecking deal.

sam147

New contract signed and injured again. But apparently I was wrong when I mentioned he will sign again and go back to being injured. People find it absurd that a guy will do his best to stay fit and play through injuries to get a contract and then lose that motivation when we stupidly hand him one. He shouldn't have got a new contract even if he did stay fit. The fact he didn't makes it even worse. The sooner we get rid the better.

haram

New contract signed and injured again. But apparently I was wrong when I mentioned he will sign again and go back to being injured. People find it absurd that a guy will do his best to stay fit and play through injuries to get a contract and then lose that motivation when we stupidly hand him one. He shouldn't have got a new contract even if he did stay fit. The fact he didn't makes it even worse. The sooner we get rid the better.
Think he is ill mate!

sam147

Think he is ill mate!
The point im making is about the determination and motivation to play when his contract was running out. As soon as he got a new contract he is 'ill'. Next it will be another injury. He will never stay fit.

Bwuk

The point im making is about the determination and motivation to play when his contract was running out. As soon as he got a new contract he is 'ill'. Next it will be another injury. He will never stay fit.
I don’t think he wants to be injured mate it just happens.

I wouldn’t of renewed him either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.