Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
Amazingly polarised performances; either a colossus, or a clown.
He's a proactive defender.

If you play for Barcelona, you can get away with being Pique because you hardly have any defending to do.

But Jones is very direct in his defending. He senses danger early and goes in aggressively. It means he occassionaly overdoes it, but that's the price you pay for that style. Like Pogba giving away possession or Martial running into a crowd. Their good qualities can only happen if they're allowed to take risks.

Jones is a brilliant defender with an unfortunate meme. Unfortunately, in the internet age, the latter is more important to football fans.

Hughes35

Got my MOTM. Thought he was superb (As was Smalling). Should be the same back 4 against Barca with Dalot RW.

AgentP

Got my MOTM. Thought he was superb (As was Smalling). Should be the same back 4 against Barca with Dalot RW.
Phil Jones played well today. But I think he can't handle a player when he runs at him. We saw Jones struggle against Hazard. I don't want him to face Messi. It will end terribly. Lindelof and Smalling should play against Barca.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Phil Jones played well today. But I think he can't handle a player when he runs at him. We saw Jones struggle against Hazard. I don't want him to face Messi. It will end terribly. Lindelof and Smalling should play against Barca.
Can't handle a player who runs at him despite Deulefeu running at him all game and getting nothing?

We've seen every single defender in the world struggle against Hazard and Messi.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The more games injured he has, the more people forget he can actually play well.

Between Smalling and Jones it's amazing how much stick they get that isn't valid.
They aren't Ferdinand and Vidic, that's the truth. But they're not at all bad players.

AgentP

Can't handle a player who runs at him despite Deulefeu running at him all game and getting nothing?

We've seen every single defender in the world struggle against Hazard and Messi.
He did well against Deulefeu for sure. But overall from what I've seen of him, he certainly struggles against direct runners imo. Lindelof has been our standout defender this season. No need to drop him after one good performance from Jones.

Paul_Scholes18

The more games injured he has, the more people forget he can actually play well.

Between Smalling and Jones it's amazing how much stick they get that isn't valid.
They aren't Ferdinand and Vidic, that's the truth. But they're not at all bad players.
There seem to be a trend to give all credit to De Gea when we don't concede and always blame the central defenders when we do struggle.
It is the same in the media as well so not just from fans.

Also media often don't talk about how poor our midfielders and attackers close down space to help our defenders.

Walters_19_MuFc

Cant say im surprised by his performance, despite being off for a few weeks. Hes a top defender and yesterday was a top performance.

I'd keep him in for Wolves as he would be better suited to deal with the physicality of Jimenez than Lindelof, who I felt struggled in the FA Cup.

He's a proactive defender.

If you play for Barcelona, you can get away with being Pique because you hardly have any defending to do.

But Jones is very direct in his defending. He senses danger early and goes in aggressively. It means he occassionaly overdoes it, but that's the price you pay for that style. Like Pogba giving away possession or Martial running into a crowd. Their good qualities can only happen if they're allowed to take risks.

Jones is a brilliant defender with an unfortunate meme. Unfortunately, in the internet age, the latter is more important to football fans.
He is but he misjudges far too often and ends up playing catch up, often resulting in the wild tackles, penalties and red cards. He probably could have been brilliant if he'd had uninterrupted development but he didn't and isn't.

Dante

Average bang
He is but he misjudges far too often and ends up playing catch up, resulting in the wild tackles, penalties and red cards. He probably could have been brilliant if he'd had uninterrupted development but he didn't and isn't.
He rarely misjudges.

How many red cards has he had in his career? And how many penalties has he given away? Very few.

His reputation for being bumbling precedes him.

He rarely misjudges.

How many red cards has he had in his career? And how many penalties has he given away? Very few.

Depends on how often you consider rare. He'll usually get completely caught out once or twice a game, sometimes it costs us and sometimes it doesn't. Either way it's far too often for a centre back at a top club.

Red_toad

He is but he misjudges far too often and ends up playing catch up, often resulting in the wild tackles, penalties and red cards. He probably could have been brilliant if he'd had uninterrupted development but he didn't and isn't.
Never been given a red card in the Premier League, only been booked 26 times in 192 games. I love how people make shit up when the actual stats are there and try to pass it off as fact. Also the important one errors leading to goal is a big fat zero.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3820/Phil-Jones/stats

Dante

Average bang
Depends on how often you consider rare. He'll usually get completely caught out once or twice a game, sometimes it costs us and sometimes it doesn't. Either way it's far too often for a centre back at a top club.
Nonsense. You're making stuff up.
Never been given a red card in the Premier League, only been booked 26 times in 192 games. I love how people make shit up when the actual stats are there and try to pass it off as fact. Also the important one errors leading to goal is a big fat zero.

Exactly.

limerickcitykid

He rarely misjudges.

You're talking to a guy who blames Ashley Young when Bailly kicks the ball out for a corner 40 yards up the field under no pressure. His posts have shown he hasn't a clue how to properly defend so no surprise he's making shit up again.

Getting caught out doesnt just mean a red card, obviously. Watch him play, see how many times he totally loses his man and the other centre back has to clear up.

And I wouldn't get into an argument about the massive, game changing errors he makes. This is the guy who cost us two cups last year after all.

Kostov

He was good as was Smalling. Nothing new from Jones though, he will be brilliant for a run of games, and then he will cost you with a stupid mistake just when you need him the most.

You're talking to a guy who blames Ashley Young when Bailly kicks the ball out for a corner 40 yards up the field under no pressure. His posts have shown he hasn't a clue how to properly defend so no surprise he's making shit up again.
You're still going on about that? You must have been a pro the way you talk on here.

Red_toad

Getting caught out doesnt just mean a red card, obviously. Watch him play, see how many times he totally loses his man and the other centre back has to clear up.

And I wouldn't get into an argument about the massive, game changing errors he makes. This is the guy who cost us two cups last year after all.
I'm very much sure that this perfect defender that many fans want simply does not exist, even Virgil has fecked up numerous times this season if you wish to nitpick his every performance. If defenders never lost their players, then zero goals would ever be scored. Every single one of our defenders is over critically assessed on the Caf. Looking at stats over opinions on the gives a better opinion, over those that state they cost us games all the time and get red cards etc....

I'm very much sure that this perfect defender that many fans want simply does not exist, even Virgil has fecked up numerous times this season if you wish to nitpick his every performance. If defenders never lost their players, then zero goals would ever be scored. Every single one of our defenders is over critically assessed on the Caf. Looking at stats over opinions on the gives a better opinion, over those that state they cost us games all the time and get red cards etc....
There are fans that go straight to stats and don't know what they're watching otherwise. Every defender makes mistakes but some keep making the same type of mistakes.

Personally, I don't think any of our defenders are good enough, with the possible exception of Lindelof if he keeps improving. I'm viewing them as though we aspire to get back to the standards we set when our available centre backs were Rio, Vidic, Brown, OShea and Pique.

Red_toad

There are fans that go straight to stats and don't know what they're watching otherwise. Every defender makes mistakes but some keep making the same type of mistakes.

Personally, I don't think any of our defenders are good enough, with the possible exception of Lindelof if he keeps improving. I'm viewing them as though we aspire to get back to the standards we set when our available centre backs were Rio, Vidic, Brown, OShea and Pique.
So you're saying Pique, O'shea, Brown when at United were all excellent and acclaimed by fans? I'd say you're very wide of the mark.

I'd say that our current crop of defenders are not as bad as is made out on here. Yes they can all be improved on, but the constant nitpicking and simply inventing things that haven't happened is beyond a joke. I mean I see he's received red cards on here, but I cannot remember nor find any record of one...

limerickcitykid

You're still going on about that? You must have been a pro the way you talk on here.
Still going on about you consistently making shit up? Yes, because you continue to do it.

Yes I've been paid to play, have received professional training and have experience alongside several pro and internationally capped players. That's all irrelevant though because I don't need it to see your explanations are completely clueless and you lack basic understandings of defensive positioning.

Web of Bissaka

Gave it his all in defending (as he usually do, whether he "hits the spot" or not is often the issue -- it works this time), and as expected the build up attack from the back is so bad with him partnering up with Smalling. Wth is our trio midfielders doing to mitigate this, sigh.

No complain from me about him. We know how Jones is and what he can and can't bring to the team. Ole doesn't have much choice with Lindelof and Bailly out, and between Rojo and Jones, since the club gave him new contract recently, rather we play Jones.

So you're saying Pique, O'shea, Brown when at United were all excellent and acclaimed by fans? I'd say you're very wide of the mark.

I'd say that our current crop of defenders are not as bad as is made out on here. Yes they can all be improved on, but the constant nitpicking and simply inventing things that haven't happened is beyond a joke. I mean I see he's received red cards on here, but I cannot remember nor find any record of one...
I'm saying they're solid squad players, and about the same level as our current starting players. That's the problem.

Still going on about you consistently making shit up? Yes, because you continue to do it.

Yes I've been paid to play, have received professional training and have experience alongside several pro and internationally capped players. That's all irrelevant though because I don't need it to see your explanations are completely clueless and you lack basic understandings of defensive positioning.
Great, so you were semi pro then, which is what I was, as a centre back. So yes, I've had professional coaching too, played alongside internationals, PL and CL winners etc in their latter years. All in the position we're discussing here, which makes me pretty confident I can see when we have players that dont match the standards we used to have. Maybe you were coached in a different position but the way you talk on here you'd think you were Franco Baresi.

Wolves 2:1 Man Utd

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because after good performance at OT against some weak or solid team comes one shocking performance against some good or excellent team. Same circle all over again. 7 years now. With him and fans. He destroys against Watford or Newcastle then comes game against Leicester, Spurs, Burnley, Chelsea, Derby...

People just have short memory, i guess.
I will just quote myself. Why to write it again

Surprise surprise. With Jones you're just waiting to see what comes first, a shocker or an injury.

Devil may care

He had a good game on Saturday so if we were starting with a back 3 I don't know why he didn't start, when he came on though him and Smalling had a couple of Laurel and Hardy moments.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Nobody can claim Jones doesn't put his heart into it but we know his level. Why are we expecting a Ford to perform like a Ferrari?

Jones was one of our best players when he came on. Really stretching complaining about him :lol:
Did you not see their second goal? The one where he let his man run on to him and beat him to the ball like he wasn't there.

Ekeke

Did you not see their second goal? The one where he let his man run on to him and beat him to the ball like he wasn't there.
I just saw De Gea run out then try to make himself look as small as possible as a bunch of players and the ball went past him in comical fashion

I just saw De Gea run out then try to make himself look as small as possible as a bunch of players and the ball went past him in comical fashion
Maybe you should watch it again then. A good defender would have cleared that with ease at the first ball, I dare say Smalling would have done.

Paul_Scholes18

He played well today when he came on. Not sure he was what we needed to get the winner though. Harsh to blame him for the goal when De Gea should just take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.