Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

People being mocked and attacked for questioning decision at the time when he got his new contract, you know who you are. Makes sense they said, you want Ole to let him go for free next season!? They wondered. Nice one.

settembrini

I posted this in another thread recently but Man City's equivalent of Jones is Rodwell. Both English defenders of a similar age, both seemed to have large potential when they were breaking through, both signed by big clubs for similar fees at around the same time. City took two years to realise that Rodwell wasn't up to it and move him on. So far Jones has had eight seasons at United and just been signed up for another four. That's the difference between ambition and complacency.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Jones and Rojo. Feck me. We had the chance to get rid of them, but instead handing them a mega signing.

I want to know who was this fecker who handled those "negotiation".

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why, just why was he given a new deal and still gets to start game after game, after proving to not be reliable enough or good enough. Can't wait until he's 35 and he's still playing getting new deals and starting for us.

Devil may care

People said giving him a new contract was to protect an asset but he's not an asset, he's a walking injury that we'd be lucky to sell for anything resembling a good price.

joedirt87

Was trying to find out what is the most consecutive games Jones has started.

Only thing I found was back from November 2017 saying he has never started more than 11 consecutive premier league games.

joedirt87

Why haven't fans turned on him? It fecking boggles my mind. He's just accepted and I cannot comprehend it.
i think most of us already did, but when the club you support gives a mediocre injury prone CB another 4 years on top his 8 year spell there isn't anything we can do but accept he's here forever.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I bet there's still at least 15ish % people here who think he is fine, and will praise him after two good games against relegation teams saying it was good to keep good squad player like Jones.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
He is a terrible footballer. Just baffles me how we could extend his contract

stubie

Wished Liverpool or Arsenal would have signed him back in 2011

We could have got Varane instead

Paul_Scholes18

I bet there's still at least 15ish % people here who think he is fine, and will praise him after two good games against relegation teams saying it was good to keep good squad player like Jones.
He is fine and a good squad player though. His fitness is a problem though.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He is a terrible footballer. Just baffles me how we could extend his contract
Simple explanation.
If we allow his contract to expire (remember, no club will pay any money for him, for obvious reasons), we'd need to fork out around £50M for an equivalent replacement (27 yr old CB, in his prime).
So, Woodward, thinks to himself, "we need to save money - let's extend Jones' contract".
Woodward's aim is to reduce expenditure, while increasing revenue and to hell with what happens on the pitch.

Woodward is the root cause of everything which is wrong at our club. I don't blame the players anymore - Jones can't help being crap...he tries his best, but he sucks. Woodward is the guy sanctioning these extensions, while refusing to buy another CB. Jose repeatedly stated that we need another CB, Woodie said, "no".

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We will never sell him. If we are to get rid of him, we'll have to pay him off, or wait for his contract to expire.

How long does his contract have left? It can't be that long now surely? He signed his latest in 2015 was it?

kundalini

We will never sell him. If we are to get rid of him, we'll have to pay him off, or wait for his contract to expire.

How long does his contract have left? It can't be that long now surely? He signed his latest in 2015 was it?
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

He signed a new 4 year deal in early Feb this year, taking him up to summer 2023. With the option of a one year extension, should the club wish to do so.

Last edited:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
2 seasons away from a testimonial.

To think people here were actually defending the decision to extend his contract...

MyDevil

A liability for us with his injury records. Wrong decision to extend his contract.

Winrar

It seemed like an obvious decision to move him on because clearly he's not good enough to be in a team trying to get back to the top. Whether we're a team seriously trying to do that is for another discussion, a sentiment I disagree with by the way.

Devil81

Just because he got a new deal doesn't mean we won't move him on. Maybe we were just protecting ourselves against losing a player for nothing.

I'd sell this summer along with Rojo, Darmian and Bailly. Keep Lindelof and Smalling and rebuild from the back.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just because he got a new deal doesn't mean we won't move him on. Maybe we were just protecting ourselves against losing a player for nothing.

I'd sell this summer along with Rojo, Darmian and Bailly. Keep Lindelof and Smalling and rebuild from the back.
I am sure clubs will be in line to take this Championship level injury prone player on ridiculous salaries

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

You still believe that crap? Rojo is still here for example.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Who is gonna buy him and pay him what we're paying him?

C'mon mate. We've proper messed ourselves up with these contracts. Come September Jones and most of the players you've mentioned are likely to still be at United.

We'll have the same average squad and, somehow, the board will get away with it because the fans will be getting at Ole for not making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Devil81

I'd say someone would be stupid enough to sign Jones off us, we've sold worse players in the past to clubs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't even know which thread to rant.
What other club keeps proven shit as long as we do? I was apathetic yesterday but now I'm just angry.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His contractor renewal didn't make any sense. Your program can't just be 'must run around a lot'.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I posted this in another thread recently but Man City's equivalent of Jones is Rodwell. Both English defenders of a similar age, both seemed to have large potential when they were breaking through, both signed by big clubs for similar fees at around the same time. City took two years to realise that Rodwell wasn't up to it and move him on. So far Jones has had eight seasons at United and just been signed up for another four. That's the difference between ambition and complacency.
Nah Jones has been miles better. There have been periods when he's been a very good player. But those were ages ago and it's been clear for a long time that he's simply not good enough.

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

He signed a new 4 year deal in early Feb this year, taking him up to summer 2023. With the option of a one year extension, should the club wish to do so.
Which we obviously will do. Have we ever not activated that option?

He'll be our mascot when he (finally) retires. We'll find him hiding in the cupboard when he's 50, still refusing to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.