Not open for further replies.

automaticflare

Sell please god sell

Same as Smalling longer they are around more reliance we have on them

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Nail in the coffin finally

Bola

I thought he did ok up until his injury, put the effort in and made good challenges.

Same issue has cropped up again - injury. This is his Man United career; some good performances, gets injured, rusty performances, good performances, gets injured.......

Rojo is pretty much the same and Bailley could be entering that list also. When we throw the mentally fragile Lideloff in the mix as well, we have 4/5 defenders that we cannot rely on.

Bailley gets another season, but the other need to be sold by the end of the 2019 summer window. 2 defenders in and recall TFM ASAP please.

kundalini

I think he is generally perfectly ok defensively, except against elite opponents, when he has a tendency to look completely out of his depth, see Spurs away last season, FA Cup final, and this match. His lack of confidence on the ball is an issue for me. Eventually we will have superior options available to us, but I'm not sure we are at that stage yet. Hopefully Tuanzebe and TFM will develop a lot over the next year or two.

We do need to find a partnership out of our 5 central defenders. It isn't obvious which combination we should use. I dislike Jones and Smalling as a pair, due to their lack of ability to build attacks.

Fracture90

CB merry-go-round continues af Mourinho keep switching CB's 'till he hits it good.

I honestly think that his weight and build is the issue. After all those injures his knees can't support his weight and keep him agile which is why he always gets exposed against players that are good in the air after corners / free kicks.

red4ever 79

Jones has and will never be good enough to be a CB for Manchester United. Should have given a pen away in the first half. Then there was a 6-7 min spell in the second half where he just looked out of his depth. Lost his man for the corner, and then was ripped apart again by Moura. Hopefully we wont see him start again

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I actually don't like Jones, but there are times over the last 6 months I feel he gets too much shit on here. Was he great? Certainly not. But he was generally solid with a couple of mistakes, which was a lot better than the absolute shit-show that Bailly and Lindelof showed the other week. Kane scored the header and Jones could have done better, but at the same time Kane is simply better in the air than Jones so it is kind of to be expected (and more importantly Jones is better in the air than Bailly, Rojo or Lindelof so the same probably would have happened). I thought it was a penalty on first viewing, but in the replays I thought it was fine. Risky enough that I couldn't complain too much if the ref gave it, but I think the right decision was made.

I do want Jones sold and replaced with somebody reliable. But he actually was our second best central defender last season (probably the best for the first half of the season), and his performance today was better than our other options last week. That really is the problem. Jones, Bailly, Rojo and Lindelof are completely and utterly unreliable, both in terms of performance and being fit (other than Lindelof for the fitness). So once again, three games into the season, we're probably about to enter the Smalling + 1 merry go round.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I actually don't like Jones, but there are times over the last 6 months I feel he gets too much shit on here. Was he great? Certainly not. But he was generally solid with a couple of mistakes, which was a lot better than the absolute shit-show that Bailly and Lindelof showed the other week. Kane scored the header and Jones could have done better, but at the same time Kane is simply better in the air than Jones so it is kind of to be expected (and more importantly Jones is better in the air than Bailly, Rojo or Lindelof so the same probably would have happened). I thought it was a penalty on first viewing, but in the replays I thought it was fine. Risky enough that I couldn't complain too much if the ref gave it, but I think the right decision was made.

I do want Jones sold and replaced with somebody reliable. But he actually was our second best central defender last season (probably the best for the first half of the season), and his performance today was better than our other options last week. That really is the problem. Jones, Bailly, Rojo and Lindelof are completely and utterly unreliable, both in terms of performance and being fit (other than Lindelof for the fitness). So once again, three games into the season, we're probably about to enter the Smalling + 1 merry go round.
Good post.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

He was our best defender when played in an incredibly boredom inducing system. We all want to play better, more attacking football though. When he has more of a challenge he's not up to it.

The criticism is fully deserved. It doesn't matter if he plays like Beckenbauer for 89 minutes, he will always give you that one minute of madness. Yesterday he was lucky. His hospital pass to Matic didn't cost us and another referee could easily have given that penalty. It was only the one goal this time.

Luckily he'll be out for a few months now and we won't have to worry about it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was our best defender when played in an incredibly boredom inducing system. We all want to play better, more attacking football though. When he has more of a challenge he's not up to it.
The criticism is fully deserved. It doesn't matter if he plays like Beckenbauer for 89 minutes, he will always give you that one minute of madness. Yesterday he was lucky. His hospital pass to Matic didn't cost us and another referee could easily have given that penalty. It was only the one goal this time.

Luckily he'll be out for a few months now and we won't have to worry about it.
My point is more that while Jones isn't particularly good (like I said, I don't like him and hoped he would be sold), the sad thing is he's still probably our second best central defender. Yes he makes plenty of mistakes, but he makes less than Bailly, Lindelof and probably Rojo. He's not great in the air, but he's still better in the air than Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo. He's quite inconsistent, but he's still probably more consistent than Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo.

Smalling easily wins in each of those aspects which is why it'll probably become Smalling + 1 again, but until one of those other options step up we're in the very sad situation where Jones is probably our next best. With him likely out for a while, hopefully Bailly (or Lindelof although I'm less hopeful) will actually get their shit together and perform like he has the potential to do.

humdinger

I have a soft spot for Jones as I like his mentality. I would be ok with a fully fit Jones being a squad member for us, and I can actually forgive the mistakes, but the injuries are ridiculous and make him completely unreliable. Get rid.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I regret not sticking to football when I was younger, having seen this guy make a career out of it.

I was shit, I was often injured, that could be me stealing a living...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
My point is more that while Jones isn't particularly good (like I said, I don't like him and hoped he would be sold), the sad thing is he's still probably our second best central defender. Yes he makes plenty of mistakes, but he makes less than Bailly, Lindelof and probably Rojo. He's not great in the air, but he's still better in the air than Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo. He's quite inconsistent, but he's still probably more consistent than Bailly, Lindelof and Rojo.

Smalling easily wins in each of those aspects which is why it'll probably become Smalling + 1 again, but until one of those other options step up we're in the very sad situation where Jones is probably our next best. With him likely out for a while, hopefully Bailly (or Lindelof although I'm less hopeful) will actually get their shit together and perform like he has the potential to do.
Yeah agreed. My main gripe is that he constantly comes back from injury, interrupts any partnerships being built in his absence then just gets injured again. That and I don't have any confidence in his decision making.

Also agree Smalling is our best. The only one I have a crumb of confidence in.

Bailly is just entertainment value.

Hughie77

Injured again ? Time to get rid now. Isn't there a decent cb in the under23.? Can see us going 3 at back now with this new kid Diogo, Smalling and lindelof? With Shaw and Valencia wing backs. Need a stronger cm I'd have Matic just in front of smalling, pogba, Fred, lukaku, Sanchez . DDG in goal. .. get rid of Jones asap. Pointless

el3mel

I regret not sticking to football when I was younger, having seen this guy make a career out of it.

I was shit, I was often injured, that could be me stealing a living...
You could have been playing at Uniter by now if you have given yourself a chance.

Whenever you feel depressed about your life, remember that Phill fecking Jones stayed 8 years at Manchester United. That will give you hope that even you can still succeed somehow.

Janson

He was really good in the first half hour, just a shame he lost it in the second half.

haram

Whats the point in even asking for updates or when he will be back? He’ll be injured again within weeks of his return.

A-man

In my opinion it is the opposite. Jones makes more mistakes than the rest. He is clumsy and has very poor judgement in close contact and has poor reading of the game and positioning.

Another thing I have noticed is that he is very often too late to stop counter attacks. I think it is because of poor reading of the game, he catches the situation a second too late.

I agree Smalling is the one with consistency. Seldom fantastic or poor, but almost always good.

The problem with Jones is his mistakes seem to cost us more, and im not evem sure he makes less than the others. Maybe it's because he dithers quite a bit and with Smalling they both end up so deep that when he makes a mistake it's almost always as last man or in a dangerous place.

Smalling is just the most reliable which is not exactly a great accolade to have. Every season he starts on the bench which shows Mourinho's intention, just nobody else can stay fit or consistent long enough.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How many times is he going to cost us a game in some shape or form

He's literally a parody now

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Knew he would be the one who missed, was hoping it would never come around to him. It did. He missed. I'd have been more confident in Grant taking one.

2 misses in 2 shootouts. Maybe feign injury next time, Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.