Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

Important to note United gave Jones a new contract when there was NO need to do so. Wtf was that about, eh? How much deadwood are we carrying for no reason besides the fact we chose to keep it?! Could have refreshed the squad years ago if we didn't insist on holding on to no hopers.
Letting him leave on a free does not magically grant us the funds to sign someone new.. i dont think he was given a pay rise so it was probably standard procedure from the board

Ollie Derbyshire

Not about dropping the ball, but about making harsh tackles that can give away pens in the own box. A freekick in midfield is not going to hurt that much. Also if someone goes past him it would not hurt as much if there is cover behind you.

No point going over the top. Those players can still be good squad players under the right management. We certainly wants better starters, but right now our squad is not at the level City got and we got a terrible manager making everyone look worse than they would under a top manager. Still even City got lots of players in that squad that are far from world class. Walker is average, Stones is weak at defending, Mendy is very much up and down, David Silva getting old and so does Aguero. Pep makes them look far better though than they would look for us. If we got Henderson and Milner people would have slated them and wanted them sold too. Point is though a good manager can get the best out of his players.
This is not about Jones, but in general. I think we can certainly afford to let Jones go in the future. Although Rojo and Bailly are getting injured as much as him now. We need new players in first rather than selling anyway, but I would not waste more money on defense before we sort out our attack. In my opinion getting big attackers will reward you far more than central defenders will.
Any of City’s squad players would get in our first XI or the bench, they aren’t average at all. I would agree that Pereria could be utilised as a squad player but any hope I had for Lingard has gone. He needs to leave and try to rebuild somewhere else. Jones is just useless, either throwing himself to the ground if someone gets close to him or just stumbling in general. He’s a mess of a footballer.

A-man

Important to note United gave Jones a new contract when there was NO need to do so. Wtf was that about, eh? How much deadwood are we carrying for no reason besides the fact we chose to keep it?! Could have refreshed the squad years ago if we didn't insist on holding on to no hopers.
It’s true but who would play if Jones wasn’t around?

Djemba-Djemba

i've never understood this stupid idea of

Oh a player is shite in his position, let's stick him in midfield. Maybe he'll be better there.

Used to get the same nonsense from people about Rooney towards the end of his time at Utd.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
i've never understood this stupid idea of

Oh a player is shite in his position, let's stick him in midfield. Maybe he'll be better there.

Used to get the same nonsense from people about Rooney towards the end of his time at Utd.
Like midfield is the easiest position on the pitch. When its probably the hardest.

RedIan

He has a massive heart but zero composure. Never seen a centre half flap at the balll as much as he does. Time to move on to a lower league unfortunately. Smalling should be here and jones gone.

R'hllor

Imagine if we let him be a free agent, wonder which club would be scammed to take him for "free", doubt he would be able to find a club in PL without pay to play or what ever its called.

MAME DIOUF 32

Absolutely appalling yet still better than his last appearance iirc. If he continues on this trajectory he might be a Premier League player by 2028 and Duncan Edwards in 2085.

Thiagoal

To be fair to him, he’s played very little football for a long time! Expecting him to be anything other than poor against City is unfair! If he had a run of games I’m sure he’s improve greatly but clearly he won’t be getting that!

SAF was great at rotating our CB’s to keep them fresh and feeling part of the team- not really happening nowadays

kundalini

The chaotic performance that you'd expect from Phil Jones given how little football he has played this season.

Demonstrated how difficult it is to play out from the back with Jones, De Gea and Wan-Bissaka in the team.

Every time we change our style of play, a significant chunk of the squad are totally unsuited to the new approach, yet are paid so much that they aren't in a hurry to leave.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Remember his first few games for us. Rushing forward. Used to think he could become really good. Almost sad how poor he's been

Irwin99

Aside from that 'performance' I thought he might have injured himself at the end of the game yet again. He looked to be hobbling. Any news? We could potentially have only one fit defender for Norwich.

Edit- just seen ole say that it was only cramp.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Letting him leave on a free does not magically grant us the funds to sign someone new.. i dont think he was given a pay rise so it was probably standard procedure from the board
He's on over £100k a week. Plus he most likely got a signing on fee. That's money down the drain. Money that could have gone on another player.

Morpheus 7

Getting that long term contract was mental. Protecting the value of somebody nobody wanted including us. Phil Jones is a banter player, a meme, how many managers will it take.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd love to see his win % in recent years

Jones in the starting XI almost guarantees everything other than a win

For me he should have gone after the FA Cup final and that was close to 2 years ago now :(

Eddy_JukeZ

1 more year and he'll qualify for a testimonial.

Despite the fact he should have been binned off like 4-5 years ago.

R'hllor

He is not on treatment table almost 24/7 for free, he is being paid, there are so many things wrong about him getting a new contract.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Exactly.

Can you imagine the 2020 version of Phil Jones playing in central midfield?

It would be utter carnage.
Actually not. Jones in midfield would be a better option than Jones as a CB. If we play Matic, Jones, Fred and Pereira and drop James our side would be more solid in midfield and more solid in defence with Maguire and Lindelof. Jones a player is not a bad player. He just makes mistakes in defence. He can tackle. is decently quick, can head the ball and can dribble a bit. He does not have to create in midfield but take the burden of Fred and Pereira in ball recovery and let them concentrate a bit more on creating chances.

DoomSlayer

Actually not. Jones in midfield would be a better option than Jones as a CB. If we play Matic, Jones, Fred and Pereira and drop James our side would be more solid in midfield and more solid in defence with Maguire and Lindelof. Jones a player is not a bad player. He just makes mistakes in defence. He can tackle. is decently quick, can head the ball and can dribble a bit. He does not have to create in midfield but take the burden of Fred and Pereira in ball recovery and let them concentrate a bit more on creating chances.
Are you serious? :confused:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He actually did quite well 2nd half I thought, he was just woeful in the first. Lindelof was shite in both mind so I don't know why I'm picking on Jones.

Mickson

Like Lingard, he's emotionally broken and needs to leave the club for his own sake.
Yep. This thread shouldn't really be active. There's nothing to discuss. He's not good enough, it's not his fault. He always gives his best. I have respect for him and even feel sorry for him. I hope he can find a new club and flourish at a mid-table club.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Honestly, he should just spoonerism his name, become Jill Phones and go work for Samaritans in their Call Centre

Only downside is there'd probably be a surge in suicides... but at least he wouldn't play for us, so you know... worth it.

R'hllor

Every time when i think about it, ugh. The way how fake calm and collected heads defended his contract extension decision with "makes sense, stop moaning" lines, just because it happened under Ole, if it was someone else bet they wouldnt spout the same shit, then again somebody else would.

Wait who is calling him Jonah?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Honestly, he should just spoonerism his name, become Jill Phones and go work for Samaritans in their Call Centre

Only downside is there'd probably be a surge in suicides... but at least he wouldn't play for us, so you know... worth it.
Cheers @Annihilate Now! you've made me laugh a few times in different threads this morning :lol: while I have a sore throat and chest! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.