Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedIan

He did ok, no worse than the rest. He puts 100%in but ultimately Smalling is a far far better defender. Who ever decided to keep PJ and let Smalling go is crazy

Foxbatt

I thought he was our best player today. Got in a very good tackle in the box too in the first half.

Dve

He did ok, no worse than the rest. He puts 100%in but ultimately Smalling is a far far better defender. Who ever decided to keep PJ and let Smalling go is crazy
That would be Smalling.

norm87cro

Smalling is soft just like Lindelof and, has no business starting a game against a team like Burnley. Jones did ok and better than most but seriously CAF where is the De Gea performance thread? Too much fan boys?

Irwin99

That would be Smalling.
Surely Ole could have said to him that we don't want you to go, Lindelof is my first choice but you're our most experienced defender and you can get back in the team if you're willing. I might be wrong but I think virtually every other defender was given more pre-season games than Chris, the message seemed pretty clear from Ole.

Back to Jones, he did alright tonight. I'm actually surprised by that.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Had a relatively decent game so nailed on to pick up an injury if he plays the next game.

Ekeke

Probably the only positive from the game, Jones showed what he can still do. Very good performance his first of the league season

A-man

Think he was quite good but at the same time he could have done better at both goals.

norm87cro

Very good. My Mom. For what is worth I thought he gave those Burnley twats a taste of their own medicine but the ref had double standards on the issue

Think he was quite good but at the same time he could have done better at both goals.
So pretty much a standard performance then. Looks good for 89 minutes until he fecks up/gets injured/injures someone else. He looked better than usual because he didnt directly cost us a goal this time, he had help from others.

Doracle

Excellent personal display from Jones last night. Laughable that anyone is trying to blame him for either goal. Have to stick with this pairing now and hope Jones can stay fit - he is several levels above Lindelöf if he can get a run of matches.

A-man

Excellent personal display from Jones last night. Laughable that anyone is trying to blame him for either goal. Have to stick with this pairing now and hope Jones can stay fit - he is several levels above Lindelöf if he can get a run of matches.
I wouldn’t say laughable however he was not alone at fault for any goals. The first goal came after he clumsily gave away a freekick and Maguire but also Jones should have covered better for Matić in case he did win the header.
The second goal they played their way through him and Maguire so I don’t know who to blame if not him and Maguire. Of course DDG could have better som it’s on him as well.

First half his passing was good but in second half he looked very limited and struggled with the press(not only him).

Overall I think he was ok however. Can’t expect more from a backup who plays a match here and one there without the continuity.

GazTheLegend

Thought he had a great game and looks like he’s done some serious work at the gym, well done Phil jones.

Goal was more on Maguire who had a bad one but really Burnley made one chance. It’s up front we struggled.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Smalling is soft just like Lindelof and, has no business starting a game against a team like Burnley. Jones did ok and better than most but seriously CAF where is the De Gea performance thread? Too much fan boys?
Right. :rolleyes:

Stadjer

Within 10 minutes he fell face down into the mud, looked like he was covered in shit and got a yellow.

Phil Jones being Phil Jones. :lol:

Paul_Scholes18

Good performance in a very easy game. City next is the real test for our defenders if he plays. Good goal that should help his confidence.

Ace of Spades

Imagine getting repeatedly turned inside out by League 1 relegation fodder :lol:
Exactly, if we were against better attack, we would have been punished. He is so obviously not good enough, it is painful to watch. He is probably the worst defendee in our squad.

Good performance in a very easy game. City next is the real test for our defenders if he plays. Good goal that should help his confidence.
Good performance? He got skinned multiple times by players who have spent most of their careers in non league football. He was awful.

Paul_Scholes18

Good performance? He got skinned multiple times by players who have spent most of their careers in non league football. He was awful.
They created nothing. Was really no troubles for us at all.
They had one counter where Jones missed a tackle and got past him. No dangers apart from that.

LJJT

Thought he played well today. Might see more of him if we stick to this back 3 formation. Typical he was covered in mud within 5 mins!

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
They created nothing. Was really no troubles for us at all.
They had one counter where Jones missed a tackle and got past him. No dangers apart from that.
The fact that they managed to make him miss a tackle and get past him is bad enough tbh.

Wouldn't happen to a player who can actually defend.

Paul_Scholes18

The fact that they managed to make him miss a tackle and get past him is bad enough tbh.

Wouldn't happen to a player who can actually defend.
Watch bloody Liverpool today. They got totally destroyed by a league 1 side and they have the best defense in the PL.
Yes it was without Van Dijk, but shows how pretty much one player hold them together and having a good midfield in front of them leaves them less exposed.
I think people might have crazy expectations for our players. 6-0 with nothing to do for Romero and people are still unhappy with us.

Jones have struggled like he did against City. If he plays this week I would not be confident in him or the rest of our defense.
Still it was a good performance today even if the opponent was poor.
If he plays and get destroyed by City complain about him then and about the rest of our team.

Last edited:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Within 10 minutes he fell face down into the mud, looked like he was covered in shit and got a yellow.

Phil Jones being Phil Jones. :lol:
[/QUOTE

To be fair to him, the opposing player had hold of him, and did the normal thing when challenged by a defender, he fell over, earning a free kick, and Jones a booking, very unfortunate in my eyes.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He wasn't awful, but he got skinned at least once, and I would expect players like him to shine in a match like this, and he didn't.

Doracle

Solid again today. Definitely should have moved ahead of Lindelof now for a starting place after the last two matches. Top finish for his goal as well. Pleased for him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's great when people decide our defence was good while we played against such a side that had 12 shots against us and our keeper was actually busy at times. And we had CBs on the pitch and won 6-0 :lol:

I think some Phil Jones bots will probably never die.

Shimo

I always cringe when people say a current player is championship level at best but, Jones not even sure that is appropriate. He can be very good defender at times but, he is just a constant calamity in waiting now.

Seems nice enough but, goodness me, United need to do something to move him on.

Smores

I'd still rather have Evans over several of our CBs especially Jones.

yamo123x

For all his critics Jones has had 2 solid games back to back. Puts his heart in, id much rather see a player who gives his all as opposed to Martial who looks half arsed disinterested and only tries when he feels up to it

MAME DIOUF 32

Surely gone at the end of the season this time. If a total madman who hasn't played in nearly a year jumps straight ahead of you in the pecking order then you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.