Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stadjer

Surely gone at the end of the season this time. If a total madman who hasn't played in nearly a year jumps straight ahead of you in the pecking order then you're done.
He got a new fat long term contract.. who would even consider buying him? I think we are stuck with Jones and that he will get a testimonial for making it 10 years at the club.

Bailly is basically a younger and more athletic Phil Jones.

criticalanalysis

He got a new fat long term contract.. who would even consider buying him? I think we are stuck with Jones and that he will get a testimonial for making it 10 years at the club.

Bailly is basically a younger and more athletic Phil Jones.
I sitll think he has his uses but it'd have to be fantastic man management and squad rotation from Ole/the next manager to make it work. I'd rather sell Lindelof and spend the minutes on Tuanzebe.

As for potental suitors, it's got the liks of Everton, West Ham, Newcastle etc written all over it. To be fair, he would do well for them if he stays injury free.

Dve

Tuanzebe is just back from injury and reportedly did not impress in his U23 game this week. Still he was preferred over Jones for the bench on Thursday. I wonder what´s going behind the scenes. I mean, except from a few weak moments, Jones hasn´t been that bad when given his chances this season. He does not only look to be the least preferred CD in the squad, he looks to be the least preferred player over all. If he´s still a United player come August, I understand nothing.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I was just thinking the same thing about Jill Phones. Last time he played was on 26 Jan when he scored against Tranmere (he made me a couple hundred quid in the process) and the last time he even made the bench was 17 Feb against Chelsea. Not been seen since. His days are finally over at United, for sure.

-Supreme-

Would be great bit of business if we manage to sell both Jones and Smalling for £30m.

I'd re-invest the money on a new LB that will give us another option particularly when we play 3-5-2

Stadjer

Newcastle would have a real steal if they got him for that money. They shouldnt waste a second and get the deal done. Phil Jones is going to be the new Duncan Edwards after all!

hope this helps

Dve

Could be something in this. Newcastle sure miss a scapegoat in their squad.

kidbob

I'll say it again, he would be an incredible signing for a club like that if he stays fit. He never reached the level needed for us (well he has but nowhere near the consistency). If he can stay injury free he'd be the best non top 6 defender in the league by an absolute mile and at that price would be a steal for a club like that. He's much more talented than Evans but is injured too much and Evans has become a very very good defender, but not enough for the very top teams. I'll be glad to get rid of Jones but he can 100% be a great player in a mid table side.

stevoc

Would be great bit of business if we manage to sell both Jones and Smalling for £30m.

I'd re-invest the money on a new LB that will give us another option particularly when we play 3-5-2
The two young ones we currently have aren't enough?

hungrywing

I'll say it again, he would be an incredible signing for a club like that if he stays fit. He never reached the level needed for us (well he has but nowhere near the consistency). If he can stay injury free he'd be the best non top 6 defender in the league by an absolute mile and at that price would be a steal for a club like that. He's much more talented than Evans but is injured too much and Evans has become a very very good defender, but not enough for the very top teams. I'll be glad to get rid of Jones but he can 100% be a great player in a mid table side.
+1

That's an incredibly - almost ludicrously - low price, particularly for a PL club. Ability-wise he's easily 30-40m in this market.

Stick some appearances add-ons onto that mofo.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
May he never grace a United first 11 again.

Time to go.

Time for nearly men to go.

Mark Pawelek

I can't see us selling Jones, Smalling and Rojo without buying a new CB. New CB does not seem to be in the summer plan, so I think we'll keep Smalling.

hmchan

I'll say it again, Jones' injuries create an illusion that injury is his only problem but in fact it's not. He has both very poor starting position and body position and he lacks the appropriate defensive awareness which leads to plenty of errors. Here's just a kind reminder of how poor he is:

-Supreme-

The two young ones we currently have aren't enough?
Not for me especially when we play 3-5-2 often against better teams.

The squad is in need for someone who is capable of doing overlapping runs and crosses with his left foot

Being left footed is super important as we have far too many attacking midfielders that likes to drift inside from the left channel and this would be a detrimental to our game if our wingback is doing the same.

-Supreme-

I can't see us selling Jones, Smalling and Rojo without buying a new CB. New CB does not seem to be in the summer plan, so I think we'll keep Smalling.
We still have 4 CBs with Tuanzebe coming through the ranks and let's not forget Shaw can also be our CB when we play 3 at the back

Hence why we should reinvest the money for an attacking LWB

Mark Pawelek

We still have 4 CBs with Tuanzebe coming through the ranks and let's not forget Shaw can also be our CB when we play 3 at the back

Hence why we should reinvest the money for an attacking LWB
There's an issue with the injury record of Bailly and Tuanzebe; which is why we should retain Smalling. 5 CBs preferred: because 2 need to show they can last a season without getting a major injury.

sillwuka

He'd be a rock at the back for any team outside of the top 10. He is under appreciated for his tenure here and a scapegoat now so I think he should move on for the sake of his career.

Good luck to him next season. I can see Jones and Smalling both playing in the premier League for different teams and doing well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Replace what exactly? 2 of them have been loaned out this season. The other was brought in briefly and conspired to cost us 2 points against Sheffield United and was hauled off at halftime.

Mark Pawelek

Replace what exactly? 2 of them have been loaned out this season. The other was brought in briefly and conspired to cost us 2 points against Sheffield United and was hauled off at halftime.
Which is why they must leave. I'm happy to see all 3 (Rojo / Jones / Smalling) leave so we buy a new CB free from long-term injuries. I'm unhappy to rely on 4 CBs if 2 of them are Bailly and Tuanzebe.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Which is why they must leave. I'm happy to see all 3 (Rojo / Jones / Smalling) leave so we buy a new CB free from long-term injuries. I'm unhappy to rely on 4 CBs if 2 of them are Bailly and Tuanzebe.
Those 3 are excess weight and should be sold. 4 centre halves is a good number I think. If Bailly and Tuanzebe are unreliable, then they are the ones who should actually be replaced.

He'd be a rock at the back for any team outside of the top 10. He is under appreciated for his tenure here and a scapegoat now so I think he should move on for the sake of his career.

Good luck to him next season. I can see Jones and Smalling both playing in the premier League for different teams and doing well.
How has he been a scapegoat? Hes genuinely been awful. He either has been injured for long periods of time or when he has played he makes stupid mistakes i.e Sheffield United away and FA Cup final.

Since SAF retired you can probably count on one the amount of good games hes had. He didnt play much under Moyes or LVG because he was injured most of the time, he only had one good spell under Jose and since Oles come in hes been awful. The fans arent to blame for his poor performances and lack of fitness.

Djemba-Djemba

I'll say it again, Jones' injuries create an illusion that injury is his only problem but in fact it's not. He has both very poor starting position and body position and he lacks the appropriate defensive awareness which leads to plenty of errors. Here's just a kind reminder of how poor he is:
Totally agree with this.

Even if he managed to stay fit for longer than a few weeks at a time, he'd still be making stupid errors with brainless decision making. He's a very very average centre back. He can have the odd game where he looks good and then he'll have a game where he looks barely professional.

If we are able to get rid of him this summer it'll be a fantastic bit of news and another great bit of business by Ole.

Okey

And some people doubt God exists.
Gave me a right good laugh out loud this! Miracles do happen eh? Though surely he'd be going for more than that? How much was Adam Webster recently bought for? He may be our pantomime villain but we still should be able to negotiate a fair deal. When that's done, I'm available to drive him to Geordie land!

Alabaster Codify7

He'd be a decent signing for teams like that, take the £12m and hopefully get £20-25m for Smalling and we're good. Rojo might bring a few million too.

stevoc

Not for me especially when we play 3-5-2 often against better teams.

The squad is in need for someone who is capable of doing overlapping runs and crosses with his left foot

Being left footed is super important as we have far too many attacking midfielders that likes to drift inside from the left channel and this would be a detrimental to our game if our wingback is doing the same.
Once we have recruited a few more attacking options i would hope we won't need to deploy the 352 formation very often going forward if at all. So Shaw with Williams providing competition should be more than enough, left back is looking healthier than it has in 4-5 years and shouldn't be a major priority for recruitment.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He will be a good player for a lesser team if he can keep himself fit. To be honest il be glad to see the back of him, not that I dislike him, he has been unlucky to a certain extent, it's just sad to see such mediocre players stay at the club for so long particularly whilst not contributing.

Haddock

I was watching the highlights of the FA cup semi against Spurs (the Dele Alli floss dance game) and Jones was caught ball watching (as Kane ran free in the box) so many times.

I agree with what Keown said recently. He has obvious talent, that much is certain and he's had some great games for us. Somewhere along the way he really lost his way. But despite what I feel about Jones as a player, when I read that he refused any potential testimonial because he felt only his parents would turn up I felt awful for him. It must be so demoralising for a player to feel so loathed. I do wish he could start performing well and get a move to a different club. He may have to go down a division and come back up again but centre halves if they take care of themselves can go on forever.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Gave me a right good laugh out loud this! Miracles do happen eh? Though surely he'd be going for more than that? How much was Adam Webster recently bought for? He may be our pantomime villain but we still should be able to negotiate a fair deal. When that's done, I'm available to drive him to Geordie land!
Not sure our hand is that strong here. We haven’t played him all season, and have been playing Luke Shaw at centre half ahead of him.

Also, I think we try to be fair to players we are not playing and facilitating a move.

rotherham_red

Those 3 are excess weight and should be sold. 4 centre halves is a good number I think. If Bailly and Tuanzebe are unreliable, then they are the ones who should actually be replaced.
Plus Mengi coming up as well, who is amongst the most highly regarded prospects at the club

Not sure our hand is that strong here. We haven’t played him all season, and have been playing Luke Shaw at centre half ahead of him.

Also, I think we try to be fair to players we are not playing and facilitating a move.
Plus we gave him a new contract last season :rolleyes:

Mark Pawelek

You seem to want me to either fully endorse or write-off Bailly and Tuanzebe. I endorse their talent, not their long-term reliability. How would we know whether Bailly and/or Tuanzebe are unreliable? They've never been fully tested! I feel it will be reckless to enter next season with only 4 CBs as 2 of them have been off injured this season for significant time (Bailly and Tuanzebe). It's prudent to keep Smalling for another year until Tuanzebe or Bailly show they can last a whole season without a long layoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.