Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

I was watching the highlights of the FA cup semi against Spurs (the Dele Alli floss dance game) and Jones was caught ball watching (as Kane ran free in the box) so many times.

I agree with what Keown said recently. He has obvious talent, that much is certain and he's had some great games for us. Somewhere along the way he really lost his way. But despite what I feel about Jones as a player, when I read that he refused any potential testimonial because he felt only his parents would turn up I felt awful for him. It must be so demoralising for a player to feel so loathed. I do wish he could start performing well and get a move to a different club. He may have to go down a division and come back up again but centre halves if they take care of themselves can go on forever.
Is this really true? If so it is terrible. He may be a calamity sometimes but he gives all for the club and he lays down his body for the team. One thing you can never say about Jones is that he will pull out of a tackle. Yes his decision making is terrible at times but when you do not play regularly it is bound to happen. It would be best for him to go to another club and Brucie knows a thing or two about CBs and defending and Jones may turn his career around playing for someone like him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was talking about big Phil at work before & drawing parallels with John Stones current standing at City. When did he officially become a banter player? I feel like he’s been a joke for so long now it’s hard to remember a time when he was seen as a prospect. Was it around 2015-time he got given the banter player status? The transition seemed to happen so seamless I can’t remember. I do remember him being seen as a big prospect from 2011-13. Was it the Moyes season when the wheels began to fall off?

laughtersassassin

He is yet another example of things so wrong with this club.

We hang onto players that have literally zero function like our lives depend on it.

Baffling really.

Based Adnan

Was talking about big Phil at work before & drawing parallels with John Stones current standing at City. When did he officially become a banter player? I feel like he’s been a joke for so long now it’s hard to remember a time when he was seen as a prospect. Was it around 2015-time he got given the banter player status? The transition seemed to happen so seamless I can’t remember. I do remember him being seen as a big prospect from 2011-13. Was it the Moyes season when the wheels began to fall off?
He went from promising prospect to banter player under Moyes for me. As you said, the transition was a swift one after Fergie left. Still can't believe he's still here. Been obvious for so long he's not good enough.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I have unique feelings towards him. Not "hate" or dislike based on his performances like with some players.
It pisses me off how he has free ride in our club for years now. He got injury first day after lockdown. How? Bubble boy from Seinfeld is not that fragile. And we gave him new contract.

I know what it is. When i watch highlights from trainings and see his smiling face, joking around with others i always think; "You don't deserve to be here, you leecher".
Lingard as bad as he is, at least try to earn his money. He is at least available.

GoldanoGraham

Reports that Moysey wants to take him to West Ham would be like an early Xmas prezzie!
This Jones is a bit like Winston Bogarde was at Chelsea - he’s happy to just stay out and earn a huge salary - not sure there is any ambition there any more

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Reports that Moysey wants to take him to West Ham would be like an early Xmas prezzie!
This Jones is a bit like Winston Bogarde was at Chelsea - he’s happy to just stay out and earn a huge salary - not sure there is any ambition there any more
At this stage I'd piggyback him down to East London myself.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
That would be a great news.

Jones should've been shipped out years ago. It would've been better for his career too I mean look at how well Evans has done since he left United. He's been very good for Leicester. Not saying Jones is on Evans' level and of course Jones is more injury prone but he could've done a good job for a bottom half or mid table PL side.

not at all.

Whether you like it or not, the club have always had faith in him and wanted him to stay - that’s why they offered him a new contract.

totally different to Bogarde who flatly refused to move.

Doracle

I have unique feelings towards him. Not "hate" or dislike based on his performances like with some players.
It pisses me off how he has free ride in our club for years now. He got injury first day after lockdown. How? Bubble boy from Seinfeld is not that fragile. And we gave him new contract.

I know what it is. When i watch highlights from trainings and see his smiling face, joking around with others i always think; "You don't deserve to be here, you leecher".
Lingard as bad as he is, at least try to earn his money. He is at least available.
This seems ludicrously unfair to me. Whatever you think of his ability, I don’t think that there can be any doubt that, when he plays, Jones gives his best for the club. There’s no suggestion that he trains badly or is somehow causing these injuries, he is just very injury prone. Sadly, that means he has to be moved on unfortunately, as he’s not even any use as a backup, but describing him as a leech is just not right.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This seems ludicrously unfair to me. Whatever you think of his ability, I don’t think that there can be any doubt that, when he plays, Jones gives his best for the club. There’s no suggestion that he trains badly or is somehow causing these injuries, he is just very injury prone. Sadly, that means he has to be moved on unfortunately, as he’s not even any use as a backup, but describing him as a leech is just not right.
Doing basically nothing and being paid for that is a pretty good description of leech.
Look, i am sick how some fans treat players like they are some saints or babies.
They are grown up people who work for their wage (in our case for huge wage). And by that just like people on other jobs they should be praised and criticized.

And that phrase is doing his best for the club is rubbish. Doing his best and doing best for the club are two separate things.
Players are not kids. When you watch 10y old kids playing some sport then you can say he is doing his best, he is trying and give medal to every kid despite how bad he is.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So he damaged his knee in first week after lockdown?
Where i can find list of all his injuries? I remember that there was a picture of him and description of all injuries.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What's he earning? He's got 2 years left on his deal right? If Moyes is interested, I wonder if we could ship him there for free, but getting him entirely off the wage bill.

El Jefe

I really do feel for Jones. By the club not being ruthless, they've made him a target for the fans for endless ridicule.

Smalling, Young, Fellaini have left and the fans leave them alone now. Even if they were playing poorly at their new clubs, they wouldn't be under anywhere near the scrutiny they were at United. Jones should have left on a free.

It's a similar issue with Lingard, if the club gives him a new contract, all they'll be doing is making a bad situation worse. Jesse might have to delete all his social media accounts. If he leaves, United fans leave him alone.

Paul_Scholes18

I really do feel for Jones. By the club not being ruthless, they've made him a target for the fans for endless ridicule.

Smalling, Young, Fellaini have left and the fans leave them alone now. Even if they were playing poorly at their new clubs, they wouldn't be under anywhere near the scrutiny they were at United. Jones should have left on a free.

It's a similar issue with Lingard, if the club gives him a new contract, all they'll be doing is making a bad situation worse. Jesse might have to delete all his social media accounts. If he leaves, United fans leave him alone.
It is sad how people get hostile towards their own players just because they are not playing well or have injury problems.
For me you should support your players and wish them the best.
In private on forums you can go harder at them of course and call them rubbish, but some people go way over the top with hate.

I pretty much love all our players and wish them well when they play for us.

Last edited:

Edy2

One of the most satisfying aspects of ole's tenure has been his unsentimental ridding the club of the likes of this guy. I was excited when he was brought in, what 10 years ago now (?) due to what he was doing for Blackburn. But he has never ever came any where near to fulfilling his potential.

fps

Whenever he headed the ball away by flopping like a fish while lying prone on the floor. That was the moment for me.

I believe there is a player in there and a fresh new start at another club would do wonders.

El Jefe

It is sad how people get hostile towards their own players just because they are not playing well or have injury problems.
In private on forums you can go harder at them of course and call them rubbish, but some people go way over the top with hate.

It really is sad but its an unfortunate part of being a footballer now. People from every country have access to you through their phones and the anonymous cowards have an outlet to spew unreal levels of hate.

Like you said, there's many players I've been extremely critical of here or in group chats but can't think of why I'd go to a players page to give him abuse after every post.

Paul_Scholes18

I think people started turning on our players during the Moyes season since nothing worked. I remember Jones playing well in midfield then, but struggled as a defender a lot .
Under LVG I remember him being mostly injured. Although he played when we had that great run vs Spurs, Liverpool and City. Then the Arsenal game had that funny moment I think with him down on the floor heading the ball.
Was good during Mourinhos second season apart from having injuries then too. Him and Bailly formed a great partnership that looked promising. Ended it poorly vs Hazard in the cup final.
Last year both of them had nightmares though under Mourinho. Did better under Ole when we won all games, but ended the season poorly.
This year he has barely played and it has gone pretty crap when he played apart from Tranmere game. Sheffield it was so weak for him to get tackled easily and it might suggest he has lost his physical qualities too.

I expect Jones got pretty low confidence at the moment and all his injuries is just making him physically worse. Although for a lower club he could do a good job if finding his fitness. Thinking about Burnley, Newcastle, Sheffield etc.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
One of the most satisfying aspects of ole's tenure has been his unsentimental ridding the club of the likes of this guy. I was excited when he was brought in, what 10 years ago now (?) due to what he was doing for Blackburn. But he has never ever came any where near to fulfilling his potential.
Didn’t he sign a 4 year contract under Ole?

I think the plan was to keep him as a squad player cause he can fill in at CB/RB or DM if you were super desperate but also have the safety of getting some money for him (because someone will be stupid enough to buy him) if he kept picking up injuries like h is.

Paul_Scholes18

Didn’t he sign a 4 year contract under Ole?

I think the plan was to keep him as a squad player cause he can fill in at CB/RB or DM if you were super desperate but also have the safety of getting some money for him (because someone will be stupid enough to buy him) if he kept picking up injuries like h is.
I think Jones had shown decent form then and also avoided injuries under Ole so far. Then he got injured just after the contract or something like that.
If we gave him the contract when he was injured it would be stupid.

Edy2

Yeah the contract it seems was insurance against losing him for a reduced fee or nothing. Safe to say it has backfired as the injuries are constant and when he does manage to play his confidence is low and makes mistakes. Time to call it quits, best for all parties imo.

devips

Absolutely spot on. I just don't get this hatred for our own players.

reddevilchennai

Missing Jonesy and his funny facial reaction. And oh yeah the comical defending and the own goals too :D

Devil81

Is Jones even still attending training?

Seems to have completely vanished and given we have zero cover for our CB's I'd have expected to have seen his name on the bench.

red4ever 79

Seems to have completely vanished and given we have zero cover for our CB's I'd have expected to have seen his name on the bench.
Heard he was injured? However he is clearly not part of Ole's plans. Tuanzebe has been the biggest dissapointment for me. Cant seem to stay fit either, and I think he does have potential

Irwin99

It's amazing how many times I click on an old United match on Youtube and there's a Phil Jones injury or big mistake in that match. It's like i'm not even being mean, it just genuinely happens so often.

Pretty obvious he's done here. I wish him better luck at his next club.

Paul_Scholes18

He is injured, but not sure with what. It has been a nightmare season for Jones. I think he started getting injured early on.
Then had 2-3 decent games in the Europa league/league cup and then might have been out again. Back for the Sheffield game and had a nightmare.
Then having Ole playing Maguire over him in the easier games that he probably needed to play.
Back vs City and a nightmare first half for the team.
Ended well vs Tranmare and had a decent game vs longball Burnley, but it is not many games he had.

Ole doesn't rate him and I don't think anyone want a player as injury prone as him so we are not going to sell him. He used to at least play well in most of his games before even with injuries around.
Now I would not trust him. Particular not under Ole.

Last edited:

White Fury

Been stealing a living for almost 10 years at Manchester United..... Please get out of my club, along with Sanchez, Lingard and Rojo.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Been stealing a living for almost 10 years at Manchester United..... Please get out of my club, along with Sanchez, Lingard and Rojo.
«Stealing a living»

«My club»

Wow...

Jones has made millions and will live a nice life, but he will always regret how his carrier turned out. He will always feel that he failed to live up to his potential.

I really felt sorry for him when I read that he did not want a testimonial as he knew very few people would show up for it. Thinking back to the praise of Capello and Ferguson it really is a shame how it turned out.

lex talionis

A player has to take some responsibility himself for the numerous injuries he suffers. Not all, clearly, but Jones was far too reckless on the pitch and brought much of this on himself. He'll live a comfortable life, but what a waste of a career.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Yeh. They will feel miserable when signing another 5 yr contract if offered by the Club. I mean, they are slaves to the Club. What else can they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.