Phil Jones image 4

Phil Jones England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd genuinely prefer Matic or McT at CB over Jones.

This is his 10th season here. His contract has been renewed twice under LvG and Ole. Two awful decisions. Even if he left for free at either of those points, it's several years of not paying him a salary, and it's not like anyone would gain from picking him up as a free agent, he's never fit.

Legend16

At this stage Phil is essentially Bez from the Happy Mondays. Ye bring him along for vibes

Foxbatt

Is he still around? I thought he retired. If not he should retire.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What a life. Getting payed xxk a week for just laying down on your sofa.

Very jealous.

Dve

What a life. Getting payed xxk a week for just laying down on your sofa.

Very jealous.
And being berated and ridiculed by the fans and the media. A public laughing stock; the one you can make fun of, and everybody thinks it´s ok. I´m sure he´d rather play football, and play well.

Alemar

I´m sure he´d rather play football, and play well.
lingard’s situation was not much better recently, and look at him now - a target for Real Madrid and PSG

The problem is, Jones apparently doesn’t have motivation to play ...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
lingard’s situation was not much better recently, and look at him now - a target for Real Madrid and PSG

Mind telling us who your source at the club is for this piece of information?

Ventura

Very happy with Phil's performances this season, I reckon it's probably his best season ever!

stubie

I would gladly take no signings this summer if it meant we cancelled his contract

mentally and physically very weak, time to cut our loses

Foxbatt

I know he is injury prone but how long has he been out injured? Surely his contract must have expired by now?

Dve

Injured due to lack of motivation?

Last time I saw him play for us he played like a mad dog, desperate to make an impression. I am sure there is nothing Jones wants more than to drag his name up from the mud.

Paul_Scholes18

Feel sorry for Phil always liked him. Just like Lingard he got too much hate from here.

Think another club would do him good if he can end his injuries. A club like Burnley or Sheffield he would be a star.

Foxbatt

he’s got about 4 years left!

I’d much rather he could go and play elsewhere. He’d be really entertaining to watch and I think he would do well but he just can’t get fit. He wasn’t a bad player at all.
I agree with you. When he is fully fit (Which was only early in his career) he can play in both defence and midfield too. Gives it all for sure. Yes he doesn't need the hate. I heard West Ham may be interested in him but surely there are many clubs in the PL who would be interested in him, if he can get fit.

A-man

And being berated and ridiculed by the fans and the media. A public laughing stock; the one you can make fun of, and everybody thinks it´s ok. I´m sure he´d rather play football, and play well.
I don’t mind fans joking about his fitness; it’s too much to not joke about it. But I would never question his will to do his best for the club.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree with you. When he is fully fit (Which was only early in his career) he can play in both defence and midfield too. Gives it all for sure. Yes he doesn't need the hate. I heard West Ham may be interested in him but surely there are many clubs in the PL who would be interested in him, if he can get fit.
Id say Jones would love some of what’s in the water at West Ham at the minute!

Ed9

I don't like the hate he gets. He'd be obviously much happier to earn his wages playing games and everytime he's played he gave his all. He could have been a star without those injuries but now he'll by lucky to do what he loves ever again and that's not his fault. If anything I'm sorry for him. We can't be sentimental and get rid but when he came here and played for us I was sure we got a new Vida. Sad story.

Dve

I don’t mind fans joking about his fitness; it’s too much to not joke about it. But I would never question his will to do his best for the club.
It´s a bit more than a joke about his fitness. Look at the picture of him on top of this thread. And all the youtube videos made with the only purpose of making him look silly. It´s pretty massive when it comes to Jones, and I don´t think people realise what impact this can have on a person.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't like the hate he gets. He'd be obviously much happier to earn his wages playing games and everytime he's played he gave his all. He could have been a star without those injuries but now he'll by lucky to do what he loves ever again and that's not his fault. If anything I'm sorry for him. We can't be sentimental and get rid but when he came here and played for us I was sure we got a new Vida. Sad story.
Yeah agree. People talk too much shit about him. Under SAF he was still quality although not at Vidic or Ferdinand level yet so people did underrate him.

Then under Moyes he was not great, but played in midfield and did a job better than many. Overall everyone was poor that year and that is when the hate started since he was an easy target.

Under LVG I thought he looked good, but injuries was starting to get a real problem then.

Under Mourinho he was good during the second season at least before the injuries had an effect. Ended that season poorly in the cup final which changed everyones opion about that season.

He started well under Ole too and played most games when we were winning every game. Although injured again and then had a terrible end to the season.

Since then he has not played much at all and looked a shadow of himself when he did. Confidence low for sure after all injuries and all hate online.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
The picture at the top of the thread say it all, he's a joke of a footballer, whenever he does play he's a mistake waiting to happen, you've got to question the club for handing him such a huge Contract, his contract should be terminated at the end of this season.

Counterfactual

The picture at the top of the thread say it all, he's a joke of a footballer, whenever he does play he's a mistake waiting to happen, you've got to question the club for handing him such a huge Contract, his contract should be terminated at the end of this season.
There's a difference between being a "joke of a footballer" and making the occasional spectacular gurning competition entry.

A-man

It´s a bit more than a joke about his fitness. Look at the picture of him on top of this thread. And all the youtube videos made with the only purpose of making him look silly. It´s pretty massive when it comes to Jones, and I don´t think people realise what impact this can have on a person.
This is what I mean. A joke or two is fine, but that should it. The man is a United player who always does his best, and deserves some respect.

And you’re right about what it can do to a person. He has made some comments that made think his life is not so easy. Ok he earns big money, but I think he would prefer playing.

stevoc

Do you think Phil Jones spends his time reading his performance thread on Redcafe and watching random Youtube videos about himself?

Foxbatt

He has played well early in his career. He never was making those mistakes early in his career. Injuries and not being match fit any player is bound to make mistakes. The biggest mistake was renewing his contract in 2019 and giving him a 4 year old contract.
If that is such a bad knee injury then a few things are wrong with the club medical staff for giving the club the go ahead to renew his contract or not getting him the proper care to over come his injury.

A-man

Yeah agree. People talk too much shit about him. Under SAF he was still quality although not at Vidic or Ferdinand level yet so people did underrate him.

Then under Moyes he was not great, but played in midfield and did a job better than many. Overall everyone was poor that year and that is when the hate started since he was an easy target.

Under LVG I thought he looked good, but injuries was starting to get a real problem then.

Under Mourinho he was good during the second season at least before the injuries had an effect. Ended that season poorly in the cup final which changed everyones opion about that season.

He started well under Ole too and played most games when we were winning every game. Although injured again and then had a terrible end to the season.

Since then he has not played much at all and looked a shadow of himself when he did. Confidence low for sure after all injuries and all hate online.
Tbh he’s played pretty well most of the games last years but since he’s got the mark “mistake prone”, any mistake or poor intervention will be remembered forever and multiplied by a hundred.

stevoc

I very much fear that he might.
I doubt it to be honest, they'll be advised not to. I reckon the vast majority of footballers are way more thick skinned than some on here think. They've been in the public eye and taking aggro off opposition fans since they were pretty young kids, for most it's probably water off a ducks back. To get to the level of the game Phil Jones has you'd need to be pretty mentally tough.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Jesse Lingard turned his career around even after JASON DERULO stole his girlfriend, hopefully Phil can do the same.

SuperiorXI

Do we know who's decision it was to award him that contract extension? Must be one of the most brain dead decisions in world football history.

Status
Not open for further replies.