Phil Jones image 4

Phil Jones England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

He will have his usual handful of decent games before costing us a match somewhere, then get injured for the rest of the season.

I'd be totally happy if we cancelled his contract and paid him out. At least it would save on the canteen and physio bills.

Revan

Assumptionman
He played well for us under SAF though. In multiple roles yes, but he did a good job.
He never was a good CB. His best role was man marking players in midfield, and he did an okay (but not a great) job as RB on his first season.

He was always one of those players who for some reasons get overrated when are young and become mascot figures later. But he was never all that. Even Jonny Evans (who never got half as much praise as Jones) was always twice the player.

‘He can potentially become our best ever player’ might be the worst football prediction of all time.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's so unsellable that I've not even seen him linked with anyone.

It's like the club have just accepted that there's no shifting him, and tbf there probably isn't.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Isn't a tad optimistic having a performance thread for Phil Jones, although to be fair it is performance, not performances.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is survivor. Yes, he is most of time injured but he is always injured during transfer windows. So, that anybody don't even try to sign him

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

Barely played last season even when he was fit. Ole will probably give him few chances in cups but that's about it.

MattyB1986

We should package Jones and Rojo into a buy one get the other free kind of deal. Who would actually buy Jones now? we're stuck with him for 3 years.

Paul_Scholes18

Almost forgot he was still here. The less this thread is bumped the better, unless of course it’s to post news he’s been sold.
Don't worry. He is not going to play much. Maybe league and FA cup early rounds if fit. Maybe CL if we have already qualified or play a crap team in the group.
League I doubt we will rotate much even if Jones is fit and in decent form.

ShinjiNinja26

Don't worry. He is not going to play much. Maybe league and FA cup early rounds if fit. Maybe CL if we have already qualified or play a crap team in the group.
League I doubt we will rotate much even if Jones is fit and in decent form.
Yeah he’ll make his couple of routine appearances in the cups before he’s out injured again for 6 months. Unreal he’s been here nearly 10 years now, he must have one of the worst appearances to seasons at the club ratios of any player excluding goalkeepers.:houllier:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Jones is a consequence of us not having had a stable manager the last few years. Every new manager wants to give everyone a chance which means Jones script get rewritten and he starts from scratch.

That's what happened with Ole having Jones renew his contract last year. Normally a manager that had been around for more than a year or 2 would be looking to shift Jones and would have let his contract run out if he couldn't be moved but we changed manager when Jones contract was running out and the new manager gave Jones a new contract on the back of him being fit for 5 or so games when Ole just arrived.

led_scholes

If any team makes any offer for him, even for 2 millions, it would be met with frustration by their fans and ridicule from everyone non involed with that team. If we also take into consideration his high wages, his injury record and his not top 8 ability, is almost an impossible mission to find a buyer. We, the fans, can perhaps change his "meme" reputation by over-praising him, so we will present every mediocre perfomance as Nestaesque. Hopefully, it will change the ongoing narrative for him.

R'hllor

Well done to all involved into decision making to extend his contract, it was a sitter to get rid of him but nah. Best part, it gave us "makes sense" lines from those who were only worried about Ole and him being hammered for it. Makes sense idd.

Paul_Scholes18

Well done to all involved into decision making to extend his contract, it was a sitter to get rid of him but nah. Best part, it gave us "makes sense" lines from those who were only worried about Ole and him being hammered for it. Makes sense idd.
Jones was first choice at the time I think and played well. Thus it made more sense to give it back then.
Although we knew about his injury record and bought Maguire anyway looking to improve that area.
If contract was with lower wages as a squad option it made more sense though. I am not sure how much it is.

Jones was first choice at the time I think and played well. Thus it made more sense to give it back then.
Although we knew about his injury record and bought Maguire anyway looking to improve that area.
If contract was with lower wages as a squad option it made more sense though. I am not sure how much it is.
Are you sure? When was he first choice?

Paul_Scholes18

Just when Ole came in he started most games. Although Bailly also had injury problems I think so he might have been first choice ideally.
Smalling was never much liked by Ole at the time.
Jones eventually got injured I think, but the contract was before then I am sure. If not it would be very stupid.

dev1l

Problem with Jones is the same as Rojo - injuries. If they stayed injury free,they could easily play for a top 10 team in Epl.

arthurka

He costs us 3.4m a year plus the time and effort of our physios. Can't give that guy away.

R'hllor

No and hell no. There is no scenario after everything where giving him new contract made sense, imagine thinking that if he took 50% wage cut, is still a good deal for the club. Asset protection yea right, if it happened under different manager, they wouldnt be spouting that type of drivel.

Dempsey19

Could we not just terminate his contract by mutual consent or something? Hes stealing a living. I have no idea how he last this long at United.

Himannv

He played alongside Lindelof when Ole first came in, and to be fair to him, he played very well. They took turns stepping out of defence with the ball and at times the opposition didn't quite know what to do with the two of them. You can kind of see what Ole wants from his CBs based on how they played though, it's why he's not so interested in Smalling.

Jones eventually got injured I think, but the contract was before then I am sure. If not it would be very stupid.
Not injured but got found out defensively. I remember Messi made him look like a div 2 player. Since then he's had a game or two here and there and was either terrible or average.

peridigm

Could we not just terminate his contract by mutual consent or something? Hes stealing a living. I have no idea how he last this long at United.
Thought same. Should have never been given a new deal in 2018.

Paul_Scholes18

He played alongside Lindelof when Ole first came in, and to be fair to him, he played very well. They took turns stepping out of defence with the ball and at times the opposition didn't quite know what to do with the two of them. You can kind of see what Ole wants from his CBs based on how they played though, it's why he's not so interested in Smalling.

Not injured but got found out defensively. I remember Messi made him look like a div 2 player. Since then he's had a game or two here and there and was either terrible or average.
I think he was injured before that game and was back around that time after the last international break. He only played the second game against Messi and didn't have a fun time for sure.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That would be the same as keeping him on the payroll. He'd want all his contract paid out.

Can't believe this loser is still with us.
No need for that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
35 months left on a (rumoured) £ 75.000 per week contract. That's around 11m for the remainder of his deal.

I don't think it's out of the question that a club would want him and offer him maybe 30-40K. Not sure if we could also get a fee for him in the process, which would allow us to break even. But cutting our losses could potentially be cheap. It will mainly cost a dent to Woodward's pride (and Ole too, who was raving about Jones when he signed the new deal).

Get him fit, wrap him cotton, and wait for the next transfer window. Leave him out of training.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Pay out his contract and tell him piss off.

He is the poster boy for United's slide into mediocrity. He shows you can be shit, extremely injury prone, offer nothing to the club and still be a lifer at United. He is a fecking disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.