View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsd

The Oracle
I would like to see him in a race with Harry Maguire

Revan

Assumptionman
Funny thing is, during the course of his career he has cost us around 50m pounds. Money well spent, I would say.

Rojo hasn’t cost much less.

If we kept that money instead, we could have signed another Sanchez.

Irrational.

He'll have been with us a decade in June next year. Our longest serving non-homegrown player alongside Smalling, who has also been with us a decade.

Let that sink in.

Paul_Scholes18

He'll have been with us a decade in June next year. Our longest serving non-homegrown player alongside Smalling, who has also been with us a decade.

Let that sink in.
It is so long since SAF left now. Feels like he was around here only yesterday. 7 years since he left now.
With Jones it doesn't feel that long since he has not played very much the last few years.

Irrational.

It is so long since SAF left now. Feels like he was around here only yesterday. 7 years since he left now.
With Jones it doesn't feel that long since he has not played very much the last few years.
Crazy, I remember how excited everyone was when he first signed as a dominating CB then a marauding RB.

Interestingly he has averaged 25 appearances a season for us over the nine years, which is surprisingly more than I thought.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Crazy, I remember how excited everyone was when he first signed as a dominating CB then a marauding RB.

Interestingly he has averaged 25 appearances a season for us over the nine years, which is surprisingly more than I thought.
Are those 25 appearances including as subs? I think average of minutes played per season is a more accurate stats.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Probably a better way to look at it is that we usually play 50+ games a season.

So he's missed 25 or more games every season for 9 years. That is incredible.

Probably a better way to look at it is that we usually play 50+ games a season.

So he's missed 25 or more games every season for 9 years. That is incredible.
I wonder how many of those are down to injury versus him being shit and not picked?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Anyone else who were pissed the day they announced that United extended phil Jones's contract with 4+1 years and KNEW it was a shit move? I know i fecking did!
I remember being completely and utterly bemused by the decision. He'd not even had a run of games or anything like that leading to the new contract I don't believe?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So Fulham’s DOF has (rather stupidly) announced on twitter that they have missed out on 5 CB targets & are desperate for a couple of CBs.

Perhaps we can take advantage of this. Big Phil is a premier league winner & England international. He’d be a great fit for them! Get him in Fulham! £10m? Cheers. Full wages top of course.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
So Fulham’s DOF has (rather stupidly) announced on twitter that they have missed out on 5 CB targets & are desperate for a couple of CBs.

Perhaps we can take advantage of this. Big Phil is a premier league winner & England international. He’d be a great fit for them! Get him in Fulham! £10m? Cheers. Full wages top of course.
We'd be stupid not to contact them. £5 million would be fine. A bag of chips would be fine. Anything to get him away from here.

DRM

I feel a little for him, he's become a subject of ridicule from both united and opposition fans. I'm sure he doesnt want to get injured all the time and would rather be playing on the pitch. If we're looking to point fingers then look no further than our board and Ole for giving him that stupid contract extension!

AlexUTD

I remember being completely and utterly bemused by the decision. He'd not even had a run of games or anything like that leading to the new contract I don't believe?
He was rarely used before the contract offer, i remember hoping that the club would just let Jones leave on a free but with the incompetent people running the club, i was not surprised that this happened.

marktan

You know that's actually a great shout. Is Jones fit? It's super unlikely but if he could stay fit for the season he'd be a great pickup for Fulham. Even £2m would work for us simply to get him off the wage book since he's probably like 6th choice currently.

Another great pickup for Fulham would actually be Smalling. He'd be perfect for what they need - some defensive steel. Never injured and to boot an ex-Fulham player and would cost under £20m.

Though neither really solve Fulham's really issue, which is that they play tumescent football with no decent attackers (aside from Mitrovic and maybe Reid at a stretch). Goals win games and all 4 of their wide attackers are gash - Tete, Caveillero, Kamaara and that small French guy. Even their midfield aside from Cairney is rubbish for PL standards.

Grande

Phil would obviously sprint ahead but suffer a really unlucky injury after 50 metres leaving Harry to jog past him slowly and win
Yes, Harry would win that race handcuffed.

Phil has delivered many a good match for us and his intensive efforts have been a joy to behold at times. It’s a shame for him with all the injuries, and the last couple of years he has regressed unfortunately. Ironically, I think he would do well in a different league with lower intensity.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We'd be stupid not to contact them. £5 million would be fine. A bag of chips would be fine. Anything to get him away from here.
We should give them Rojo too. Buy one get one free. Two World Cup / Champions League experienced centre backs! Would be a coup for them. :drool:

In all seriousness though, if they managed to do the impossible & stay fit, they’d be Fulham’s best CB partnership by a country mile.

I would like to see him in a race with Harry Maguire
He’s a lot faster than Maguire. Jones isn’t slow, he’s just shit.

flappyjay

If he and Rojo weren't crocks they would be a massive improvement on what fulham currently have.

Stadjer

He’d smash Maguire - always had pace.
But after all those injuries? He lost some pace, he looked slow when he did play last season. There is also the issues of finishing the race. Maguire might have a very slow acceleration but atleast he doesnt break down during his race. Phil Jones likely will get injured during the race.

Serious though, cant believe he is still a Manchester United player. What other club keeps a underperforming, always injured player that long and give him contract extensions too?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I feel a little for him, he's become a subject of ridicule from both united and opposition fans. I'm sure he doesnt want to get injured all the time and would rather be playing on the pitch. If we're looking to point fingers then look no further than our board and Ole for giving him that stupid contract extension!
It is dreadful to be good enough to be a top level footballer who basically can never get near a pitch for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

However he is super lucky this happened down the line of being set for life rather than at 16-17.
Most players would be finished with his injuries and never get a new deal, so at least he's not that boat.
Rubbish for us having someone like him in the squad though clearly.

ghagua

Woody probably looking at extending Phil again instead of trying to get rid.

starman

*Checks his injury status

"Potential return date" - "No return date"

I can see one day reading we've just paid up his contract and he retires...

Giving him that extension is mind boggling....

Based Adnan

So glad we gave him a long term to protect his value last year. Will be eligible for a testimonial at the end of this season.

FujiVice

I do wonder how his career would have been had Fergie been his manager for a few years. He seemed to be worse and worse with each new coach, to the point where their various influences created this footballing Frankenstein monster. He wasnt always this shite. There used to be a player in there.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Totally forgot about this cat. He will seem like a new marquee signing once he is past this current health hurdle.

Status
Not open for further replies.