Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winrar

Fair fecks to him for that overall performance.

Sad to think what could've been if he wasn't so injury prone.

Good game from him. Before the month is out he will have either had an absolute disaster game or gotten injured again.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If he’d have cleared it for a corner people would complain at that, too. He cleared the box with a defensive header. Has to expect his team mates to be there or thereabouts. He was on the stretch too not an easy header away.
If the corner he conceded didn't result in a goal and we got a point nobody would say a word.

It's great he's managed to comeback from whatever it was and it's great that he played well today but he made an error in heading it out to the edge of the box rather than away either side/out and it resulted in a goal.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Good on him. Nothing showy, no histrionics, excellent performance. Bit more of that from the rest of them and we'll be grand.

AngliaRed

He just did the basics right and kept it very simple, unlike a standard Lindelof, Bailly or Maguire performance.

Still needs to leave and get off our wage bill.

Tonight’s performance would of gotten the ears up of a few clubs across Europe for a stop gap or basic CB.

choccy77

Glad to see that Phil handled all the basics today and kept it simple and had a good performance, aside from the unlucky header leading to the goal, which McT should have dealt with had he been in the right position.

I hope the other defenders take note and improve as a result, because they were shown up tonight by a guy who has barely played in 2 years.

Should United keep him for rest of season and he gets a few more games, I hope he can improve further in order to push the remaining players to do better.

Last edited:

MrBest

He looked hench and in good shape. I bet he will have some sore legs after the first in 700 plus days. Good on him for proving us all wrong today, i am delighted with the performance and commitment he put on today.

meninred

Phil jones was never a bad player. True he didnot live up to the hype but he was an okay backup to vidic and ferdinand.Today performance was good. He isnot fully to blame for the goal.
defender first job at that moment is to clear the ball though on second thought he might have directed it not to the center. a lot of defenders do what phil jones has done it was just unfortunate.

davisjw

If it's true it's knee cartilage have we found our Ledley King? He'll play in beast mode for a couple of games then not play for ages as his body can't handle it, but eventually come back as though he never left, only to be injured again?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He was quality tonight, one of the best players in a bad game. Always willing to put his body on the line. This guy gets a lot of stick but deserves credit when he plays like he did tonight. He’s played better in 1 game then Maguire has done for a while.

Andersonson

Only player on the pitch who looked like he gave a shit about the club he was at.

Rest of them are an embarrassment.
Imagine that, the player who has gotten most abuse in recent years is the one giving everything, while the rest looks careless.

Jones deserves much more respect

Paul_Scholes18

Phil jones was never a bad player. True he didnot live up to the hype but he was an okay backup to vidic and ferdinand.Today performance was good. He isnot fully to blame for the goal.
defender first job at that moment is to clear the ball though on second thought he might have directed it not to the center. a lot of defenders do what phil jones has done it was just unfortunate.
Yeah I think people always complained at our central defenders, but I think our biggest issues has been attack and our managers.

Under Moyes the biggest problem was David Moyes and not the squad being bad. Giggs was maybe too old and Rio and Vidic too, but Moyes could not find the best team and a great attacking strategy.

LVGs tactics was pretty shitty and his trust in past it Wayne Rooney was an awful combo. Our defensive record was fine and our defenders fine. Evans should not been sold. Blind did well too I thought.

Mourinho improved the attack, but was never an attacking manager. Ibra and Lukaku did fine, but never the striker we needed for general play and to win the league.
Also Mkhitaryan did fine, but dropped down in quality. Pogba was fine before they did fall out.

Under Ole he started well then we turned to shit. Improved with Bruno and then turned to shit with Ronaldo.

I think it is clear though that the managers we have had never really improved us much. At best they grinded out wins and had spells of good football.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Fit Jones is better than Maguire. Hope he can stay injury free.

Meep

Hat off to you Phil! What a performance with the background you have had. Me and my boy could still enjoy your shining light, this grey united day.

A-man

Haven’t played since grandpa was young and then gives us a MOTM performance.

InfiniteBoredom

He used to step into midfield making marauding runs from CB, played RB and CM regularly for us and even took corners at one point. What in all that would point to him being shite on the ball?
Not quite ‘regularly’, in his first couple of seasons under Fergie, he was occasionally deployed as RB (so did Smalling, or Evans on the left) as Rio and Vida were still first choice when fit, at DM I can only recall 2 notable occasions, one at Anfield vs Liverpool early in 11/12 and the Madrid match in 12/13.

Jones technically I think is about on par with Maguire, couldn’t do the flashy bits but when fit and on form his short passing, close control, interception and positional play are equal or slightly better. What he has over the latter is the aggression in his game, which can be calamitous sometimes if his timing is off due to rustiness, but can be quite infectious in a positive sense most of the time.

Ultimately, a big part of our fan base is bitterly disappointed with the way his career turned out, and let that colored their perception of his qualities as a player, but if you are rated by Alex Ferguson, Fabio Capello, Louis Van Gaal and Jose Mourinho, you can’t be a shit defender.

Hoof the ball

To this day I don't think Sir Alex made a mistake in his judgment of Jones. Not in terms of his core abilities. Sir Alex couldn't have predicted Jones' injury record. We're looking at someone who would have been a top, top defender and a potential captain if he wasn't robbed by his body letting him down.

croadyman

I felt for him with that header, was only 10 minutes plus stoppage time from a top performance

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Its the area he can get the ball with the most distance because hes at full stretch to make it, not over the ball. If he goes diagonally it most likely goes to a more dangerous area. For example dropping in front of him at half the distance which would still be in the box. Thats much worse than clearing the box but centrally
Sorry, I'm going to need more convincing that clearing a ball to the top of the D isn't the most dangerous outcome in that situation, especially against Wolves who have players that can shoot very well from that distance. It was a poor defensive header, he should be getting more distance on it.

lex talionis

Phil took a lot of abuse here before the match but I was pleased to see most posters recognize that he put in a very solid shift against Wolves. The header was unfortunate, but in truth every CB on the planet would have done the exact same thing. 9 times of out of 10 that header snuffs out of the danger.

MOTM easily.

Green_Red

I was never his biggest fan but to go that long without playing because of injury and then to work your way back into the team shows a hell of a lot of resilience and determination. Can't have been easy. Good performance from him tonight, great example to everyone to show hard work pays off. Plaudits are well deserved.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He should have about 5 years of top-level football left in him. Keep the fight up Phil.

bugmat

My MotM - I really think the fact he hasn't playe dfor 2 years meant he was hungry and not infected by the bad habits that half the current team have from under Ole that persist.

bugmat

Sorry, I'm going to need more convincing that clearing a ball to the top of the D isn't the most dangerous outcome in that situation, especially against Wolves who have players that can shoot very well from that distance. It was a poor defensive header, he should be getting more distance on it.
McT as the DM nearest should've been expecting and covering that area instead of dropping into our 6 yard box & ball-watching when the CBs were already dealing with the cross and Jiminez(?).

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Respect to Sir Philip. I think he played an average to solid game like he did most of the time whenever he was fit. That he was our best man beside de Gea tells a lot about the status of our squad.

Andersons Dietician

Lindelof
Varane
Jones
Bailly
Maguire

If mans could stay fit and consistently perform like yesterday he’d be solid. However he’s probably not that far away from another breakdown or crazy moment.

stoinz

To this day I don't think Sir Alex made a mistake in his judgment of Jones. Not in terms of his core abilities. Sir Alex couldn't have predicted Jones' injury record. We're looking at someone who would have been a top, top defender and a potential captain if he wasn't robbed by his body letting him down.
Totally agree with this. Many coaches thought the same but his injury really derail his development. But one thing I really like about him is he always gives 100% on the pitch.

Mike Smalling

Very happy for him. Everyone had written him off (including myself), but yesterday he put in one of the better CB performances we have seen in a while. He did things yesterday we very rarely see from Maguire, a player we paid £80m for.

Kostov

That performance is why so many of our fans rated him highly back in the day. However he can be a monster one game and titus bramble in the next while getting injured in the meantime.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
He looked hench and in good shape. I bet he will have some sore legs after the first in 700 plus days. Good on him for proving us all wrong today, i am delighted with the performance and commitment he put on today.
The thing is he has had his return to the first team managed really well. It’s a massive exception to how we usually rush players back only for them to break down again. We had him playing in specially arranged games, reserve games and then part of the match day squad but not playing for a good while.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If the corner he conceded didn't result in a goal and we got a point nobody would say a word.

It's great he's managed to comeback from whatever it was and it's great that he played well today but he made an error in heading it out to the edge of the box rather than away either side/out and it resulted in a goal.
The error that resulted in the goal was down to the unmarked players more than the headed clearance IMO. Even Ralf referred it like that.

Also, his body was positioned in a way that he could probably get the most power on it into that direction. He didn't get a whole lot on it.

There's was so much defending to that game, no one can possible expect a flawless game.

He had a good game, impressive given his circumstances.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Imagine he does better than any game Maguire has been in this season :lol: .

Having said the, the bar hasnt particularly been set fecking high.
Why did I seem so doubtful before the game :D.

Impressive how he was so effective after 2 years out to put in a good shift. Cant even blame him for the header: he did his job of clearing the ball out the box, where it should be on the CM to cover the player on the edge. McT and Matic had no positional awareness for that one.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Said before the game that when he plays he's usually pretty good. It's the lack of playing that's always been the issue.

RUCK4444

Shout out to my man big Phil. In fairness like others have pointed out, it was rarely his performances that were the issue just fitness. It's a sad indictment of how far we have fallen performance wise that a player who hasn't kicked a ball for the first team in years comes in and was by far our best player along with Varane.

He was excellent last night, didn't really put a foot wrong, the clearance (for their goal) was a tad unlucky, couldn't get the distance on it and it's a good finish.

If he could actually remain fit I wouldn't put it past him to really push Harry and Lindelof for a starting spot. The problem is he uses his body like a battering ram every game, you can't really take that trait out of his game either, so it is what it is.

Happy for him though. Even though, hands up, I'm one to have given him shite for being out for so long.

led_scholes

If Jones would be fit, would be my preferable option for the 3rd CB and would asap Maguire or Bailly. But we knowo it will ever happen, so despite his fine performance yesterday, I don't think he will feature for more than 6-7 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.