Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
His clearance for the goal was unfortunate, but he was the only United player realising the danger of the situation afterwards, immediately sprinting to close down the shooter while everyone else stood watching.

Foxbatt

Take a bow Phil Jones. When Phil Jones becomes the MOTM you know how shite the others were. Not because Jones is a bad player but he has not played for decades regularly. I think it was under LVG that he played more than two consecutive matches.

Rossa

His clearance for the goal was unfortunate, but he was the only United player realising the danger of the situation afterwards, immediately sprinting to close down the shooter while everyone else stood watching.
It was poor, but it was almost the only poor thing he did. Looking back, how come there is not a single United player in that rebound area? With players like Moutinho and Neves on the pitch, forsaking that area is ridiculous. There should be at least one player protecting it.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The error that resulted in the goal was down to the unmarked players more than the headed clearance IMO. Even Ralf referred it like that.

Also, his body was positioned in a way that he could probably get the most power on it into that direction. He didn't get a whole lot on it.

There's was so much defending to that game, no one can possible expect a flawless game.

He had a good game, impressive given his circumstances.
Yeah I’m not arguing that he had a good game or not, absolutely deserves praise for his performance given the circumstances but people are going way overboard and claiming he was flawless when in reality he made the one error that cost us the goal. McTominay, Matic, whoever was supposed to be on the edge of the box made an error too, but Jones technically got an assist.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Blaming Jones for the goal is stupid. It was a very good clearance. The question is where were Matic, McT. Also Shaw is more to blame for that goal.
How the feck was it a very good clearance if it resulted in a goal? For fecks sake.

You nod it out for a corner or away for a throw in, you don’t nod it straight in front of goal regardless of the positioning of your team mates.

They’re also at fault but it’s a very basic mistake to make. One Jones has always had in his locker even in MOTM performances like last night.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Blaming Jones for the goal is stupid. It was a very good clearance. The question is where were Matic, McT. Also Shaw is more to blame for that goal.
He had a good game overall, but it certainly was not a good clearance

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's funny but despite the constant injuries, when he is fit and plays, he is usually pretty good. Remember that one with Rojo and Jones under Mourinho where he was quality for a few months? It's always the injuries with him. He's a good all round CB, but just keeps getting injuries. I don't think he'll manage to stay injury free, and I feel like he's one more injury away from giving up ... But great to see him out there and have a good performance.

izec

He had a good game overall, but it certainly was not a good clearance
Yeah, you dont clear it to the middle. He is rusty and obviously understandable that he would do a mistake or two, but the clearance was exactly how you shouldn't do it. Doesnt help that none of his teammates were there to stop the goal.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
McT as the DM nearest should've been expecting and covering that area instead of dropping into our 6 yard box & ball-watching when the CBs were already dealing with the cross and Jiminez(?).
Sure but that doesn't automatically make the top of the D a safe place to head the ball in that situation. That's all. Jones otherwise did very well yesterday.

Green Yellow Red

How bad is our season progressing when the return of the gurner is one of the highlights? That's like losing your left leg in a car accident, and someone saying "at least you're right footed"

Paddymcc

Good game from Jones and i must be honest and say it was unexpected.

Looked comfortable on the ball and even striding forward into space to pass it plus made a couple of great tackles. Certainly looks more comfortable at that than Maguire.

Aside from the header which landed at Moutinho he was pretty faultless and you could forgive that for a bit of rustiness or match sharpness.

Fair play to him and hopefully he has turned a corner with his injuries.

Foxbatt

should be step up into midfield? He has played in there for SAF.

Acole9

Outstanding
I thought him starting would be a disaster but he was alright.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Would put his neck on the line for the club which is more than you can say for the majority of them. Clearance aside was brilliant I thought.

CaptainMourinho

Easily our best defender right now. Would have been a world class CB that would put Varane to shame if not for his unfortunate injuries. Hope, he will have a good run of games because we desperately need his services with Maguire becoming the laughing stock of the league.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Easily our best defender right now. Would have been a world class CB that would put Varane to shame if not for his unfortunate injuries. Hope, he will have a good run of games because we desperately need his services with Maguire becoming the laughing stock of the league.
:)

united for life

Would put his neck on the line for the club which is more than you can say for the majority of them. Clearance aside was brilliant I thought.
he literally does that. He went on with the game very well. Had a couple of good interceptions and was fearless like always. He has always been a good player in general but unfortunate with injuries and some mistakes that he gets irrationally slaughtered for

SAFMUTD

He was the only field player that had a good performance, we are so poor that a man that had 2 years without playing football was the best performer. Huge respect for Jones, he was the only gave out there who seemed to give a feck.

Foxbatt

He certainly has put his face on the line for the club. :D

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The amount of abuse Jones has received from United fans over the years is an absolute disgrace. The man's career has been completely ruined by injuries and some people thought he was happy to be sitting out. Say what you want about him but he's a top professional and he always gives 100% on the pitch. I really hope this is the start of him getting his career back on track and he finds a good club in the summer.

Foxbatt

The amount of abuse Jones has received from United fans over the years is an absolute disgrace. The man's career has been completely ruined by injuries and some people thought he was happy to be sitting out. Say what you want about him but he's a top professional and he always gives 100% on the pitch. I really hope this is the start of him getting his career back on track and he finds a good club in the summer.
Spot on. It showed what it meant for him to play for this club. He also has earned his right to play in the next match.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
"stealing a wage" they said. Keep sipping those flat pepsis in your mum's spare bedroom.

It takes some mental fortitude to battle a serious injury for 2 years and then put in a MotM performance at the highest level in your first game back. It's an incredible story.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Take a bow Phil Jones. When Phil Jones becomes the MOTM you know how shite the others were. Not because Jones is a bad player but he has not played for decades regularly. I think it was under LVG that he played more than two consecutive matches.
I still fondly remember that period when Jones & Rojo became a feared CB pairing and we went on a great run only for the inevitable injury to happen.

Pickle85

Ah bless him. Lovely to see and good for him. I've never had massive amounts of sympathy for him -never thought the injuries were his fault or he faked them of course - but also didn't think the club meant much to him. When set alongside some of those other no effort mercenaries I'm proved wrong. Good on you Phil. Let's hope you can stay injury free now.

Giggsyking

He is one of only 3 players in the squad who won the league with united. He is much more decorated than most of the crying babies we have in the team.

Giggsyking

his profile picture in the this thread is also stupid, why do we mock our own player ffs?

lex talionis

Give the man a proper runout and put a little shame on Harry’s face when he watches from the bench. It may only last a few matches before the next injury but if it happens so be it. And if he puts in worldie performances that may be just the example the rest of the squad needs to pull their socks up.

InfiniteBoredom

Are his injuries connected to his playing style? Some defenders go for the ball even if it puts their body in danger, diving around, hard landings, boots to the face etc!
He already talked about it, his knee was so fecked up that it had no cartilage in it and he were playing on injection for years before finally breaking down. When you carry an injury that severe, it has a cascading effect on your body as you have to compensate in other ways, leading to other injuries.

Of course, the full-blooded nature of his playing style aggravated the issue, but it wasn’t the primary reason as once thought. It was a disgrace that it took 4 managers to finally send him away for the proper treatment, even if it meant taking him out of action for a couple of years.

Foxbatt

Give the man a proper runout and put a little shame on Harry’s face when he watches from the bench. It may only last a few matches before the next injury but if it happens so be it. And if he puts in worldie performances that may be just the example the rest of the squad needs to pull their socks up.
Yes give him a couple of games if his injuries can stand it. Jones makes mistakes but for sure you can be assured that he will give it all. Question for the match going fans. What kind of a reception did he get at the end?

SATA

He should be given his testimonial, or rather he should have gone ahead with it. Hopefully it happens at the end of the season and people turn up

Siezard

I thought Mctominay also went forward with a tackle?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
As foolish as it sounds I'd give him an extended run of games with varane to see what happens. I really thought his more aggressive play style really complimented varane's more passive and calculated demeanor , so why not give it a go?

Would be sweet irony if it happens though, that after all that we still go back to him

Status
Not open for further replies.