Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee565

We should be making the most of him actually being fit and make him a starter in either central defence, right back or defensive midfield as he would probably do a better job than those that currently start in them positions

sillwuka

We should be making the most of him actually being fit and make him a starter in either central defence, right back or defensive midfield as he would probably do a better job than those that currently start in them positions
He'd probably do well at RB.

united for life

Bordeaux interested? Maybe not a bad idea for him to go and try to have a proper remainder of a career. He’ll always have a small role to play for us - if fit

Dempsey19

Joining Bordeaux till the end of the season apparently. Seems like Ralf is really trying to get rid of people he has no intent on using. Lingard next hopefully.

TrustInOle

Delighted if he can get some game time somewhere, hopefully show some top division clubs that he has a spot amongst them still.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
In talks about a loan to Bordeaux apparently, would be a great move for him if true to try and get some regular football.

I would definitely watch a show about Phil Jones in Bordeaux though, maybe he could do a cooking tour with Rick Stein. Rick on the stove telling amusing little anecdotes, Phil pairing the food with the correct wine and laughing along.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
An opportunity comes along for him to get some consistent game time, and he refuses.
Quite the opposite, he wanted the assurance of playing time and they wouldn't offer him, rumours say he was happy to sacrifice some salary, drop to a lower league, the 1 thing he wanted was to play and they couldn't guarantee him that. Let's hope they come back to the table and can guarantee him that (when fit) as there's very little doubt he will be their best CB if he's available.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Quite the opposite, he wanted the assurance of playing time and they wouldn't offer him, rumours say he was happy to sacrifice some salary, drop to a lower league, the 1 thing he wanted was to play and they couldn't guarantee him that. Let's hope they come back to the table and can guarantee him that (when fit) as there's very little doubt he will be their best CB if he's available.
If that's the case, I guess we'll find out very soon, because there's countless of clubs that would offer him that if he doesn't consider them beneath him.
I suspect he's slightly more picky though.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
If that's the case, I guess we'll find out very soon, because there's countless of clubs that would offer him that if he doesn't consider them beneath him.
I suspect he's slightly more picky though.
I don't know why, he's always struck me as humble and hard working, never complains or seems to have an ego. Got to be the only player ever to pass on a testimonial as he honestly said only his Mum would attend, he seems grounded to me and the logic suggests he wants games and won't consider the other clubs beneath him. Call me crazy and it's a huge IF but for his age he hasn't played that many games and I think if he can find some way to stay fit then he can still have a career at the top level.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't know why, he's always struck me as humble and hard working, never complains or seems to have an ego. Got to be the only player ever to pass on a testimonial as he honestly said only his Mum would attend, he seems grounded to me and the logic suggests he wants games and won't consider the other clubs beneath him. Call me crazy and it's a huge IF but for his age he hasn't played that many games and I think if he can find some way to stay fit then he can still have a career at the top level.
I mean if he actually wants a chance at a career, he should go to a physically weak farmers league. Maybe Italy or Holland. Because he'll just get injured in Ligue 1 or La Liga.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I mean if he actually wants a chance at a career, he should go to a physically weak farmers league. Maybe Italy or Holland. Because he'll just get injured in Ligue 1 or La Liga.
Funny you say that actually, I don't think he's physically more prone than any other person. I think it's his style of defending, nobody else throws their head at the ball on the floor or goes as crazy as he does, the way he defends puts his body in more trouble, I don't think it's anything to do with the physicality of the league; it's simply the way he plays.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Funny you say that actually, I don't think he's physically more prone than any other person. I think it's his style of defending, nobody else throws their head at the ball on the floor or goes as crazy as he does, the way he defends puts his body in more trouble, I don't think it's anything to do with the physicality of the league; it's simply the way he plays.
You're probably right, which means he's fecked.

So let's hope I'm right ;)

L1nk

Can you really ask for assurance of playing time when you've played a handful of times in a few years though? He's not going to get any more games here than he would there, seems like he just wants to earn the wage and sit around here as he has done so for a while now

Jonesno.8

Shame if he doesn't get a loan deal, be good for him to play a bit. If he does well his value goes up, if he does really well then he comes back and fights for a place. If RR isn't going to play him then it's a good move for him this season and Win Win for us.

devips

Can you really ask for assurance of playing time when you've played a handful of times in a few years though? He's not going to get any more games here than he would there, seems like he just wants to earn the wage and sit around here as he has done so for a while now
When did he just sit around here, let me have the timelines.

Moronic post.

Who is going to offer him consistent game time? He's always injured so has never proven what level he can play at, and he's never far from a massive error when he does play. Nobody in any competitive league can promise him that and i suspect he knows it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think you can if it means moving to a different country for 6 months and either a) moving your family with you or b) being away from your family.... worth remembering that Jones has probably never lived outside of Lancashire.

We don't know what assurances he asked for.... maybe they told him he'll start on the bench and have to break into the team/be back up... and he therefore wanted assurances that he'd actually play. Which makes total sense to me... why move there to sit on the bench when he can do so here?

L1nk

When did he just sit around here, let me have the timelines.

Moronic post.
Moronic post?

Let's see, 9 appearences in 3 seasons and apparently he hasn't just been sitting around here collecting a full wage? I know a lot of you are content for players like Mata, who aren't good enough to play for us, to just sit on the bench or in the stands collecting over 100 grand a week to do absolutely nothing so long as we can say "but look how loyal we are to our players!! we're better than other clubs!!" Jones should have been gone seasons ago, the fact we offered a new contract was ridiculous. I have sympathy for the guy of course, but it's reasons like this we are where we are, it's a running joke amongst everyone that Jones is STILL here. We have absolutely no ruthlessness when it comes to getting rid of players anymore, we hang on to them when they are well passed their sell by date and wonder why we are languishing in mediocrity. Blows my mind.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the opposite of your point. If I was Phil Jones I’d want some confidence by the other club that I’d be given some playing time. After all he had a career threatening injury and needs games. So I don’t blame him. He probably feels that he has more chance of minutes at United than Bordeaux

and give over about the wages, he has a contract. This narrative is doing the rounds and it’s complete bollox

I love how you say “sitting around”. That post is bollox

golden_blunder

Staff
Moronic post?

Let's see, 9 appearences in 3 seasons and apparently he hasn't just been sitting around here collecting a full wage? I know a lot of you are content for players like Mata, who aren't good enough to play for us, to just sit on the bench or in the stands collecting over 100 grand a week to do absolutely nothing so long as we can say "but look how loyal we are to our players!! we're better than other clubs!!" Jones should have been gone seasons ago, the fact we offered a new contract was ridiculous. I have sympathy for the guy of course, but it's reasons like this we are where we are, it's a running joke amongst everyone that Jones is STILL here. We have absolutely no ruthlessness when it comes to getting rid of players anymore, we hang on to them when they are well passed their sell by date and wonder why we are languishing in mediocrity. Blows my mind.
Running joke that a player who was INJURED with a CAREER THREATENING INJURY for nearly 2 years is still here? What’s he supposed to do, hop to the one legged football league?

use your ducking brain

devips

Moronic post?

Now I am confirmed the post was truly moronic!

Jones has been injured off and on for a long time. He was not physically fit in those times to be eligible for playing football.

It is not called just sitting around here and collecting wage.

He has played or has been on the reserve bench ever since he is considered fit to play.

united for life

I’m a bit surprised/disappointed that he turned the move down. I would’ve thought he’d run for the chance of game time especially that it is clear he isn’t in ralf’s plans for the rest of the season.

golden_blunder

Staff
I’m a bit surprised/disappointed that he turned the move down. I would’ve thought he’d run for the chance of game time especially that it is clear he isn’t in ralf’s plans for the rest of the season.
Sorry I must have missed where it’s made clear that he’s not part of ralfs squad plans?
There was me thinking he’s played 90 minutes and been on the bench a lot so far. Wow I must be silly missing that declaration

united for life

Sorry I must have missed where it’s made clear that he’s not part of ralfs squad plans?
There was me thinking he’s played 90 minutes and been on the bench a lot so far. Wow I must be silly missing that declaration
was the only option when he started. The fact that he was allowed to move indicates that he isn’t part of the plans. You’re not silly, don’t be harsh on yourself

golden_blunder

Staff
was the only option when he started. The fact that he was allowed to move indicates that he isn’t part of the plans. You’re not silly, don’t be harsh on yourself
I bet he’s still part of match day squads unless he moves or is injured

if I win you go, if you win you can stay a bit longer

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't get the crying about him not wanting to leave. It's not like we'd get a fat fee (would Bordeaux even have covered his full salary?)

He doesn't moan when benched, so we can definitely use him this season. Long term we should looking at replacements for these players made of glass.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not much odds to United either way in fairness.
But you'd think he'd recognise he's 5th choice here (I've genuinely lost track of where Tuanzebe is, or it could arguably be 6th choice), so surely going to a team who want him, even at say 3rd choice is a positive if you want to ever play?

Devil81

Surely the fact they want to sign him means he's likely to get game time, it also says a lot about his character that he doesn't back himself to get game time in an inferior league.

I'd actually started to feel sorry for him given his injury admittance.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’m just wondering how confident you are in your assertion that he’s not part of Ralfs plans?
He is in first team so he is in his plans by default. But we can agree that he is 5th choice?
You have sympathy for Jones, i understand that, but he did choose easier ride now. 5th choice in United, maybe bench then and there and staying at home with full salary.
I will not pretend that i know Bordeaux lineup but surely competition is not like here. Lindelof, Varane and Harry are nailed as first 3. I can bet that Bailly is higher rated in Ralf's eyes than Jones. So his chance is only some injury crisis.

Guy showed no ambition, like it or not.

golden_blunder

Staff
He is in first team so he is in his plans by default. But we can agree that he is 5th choice?
You have sympathy for Jones, i understand that, but he did choose easier ride now. 5th choice in United, maybe bench then and there and staying at home with full salary.
I will not pretend that i know Bordeaux lineup but surely competition is not like here. Lindelof, Varane and Harry are nailed as first 3. I can bet that Bailly is higher rated in Ralf's eyes than Jones. So his chance is only some injury crisis.

Guy showed no ambition, like it or not.
You don’t know what was on offer so that’s a wild assumption

but what’s the point in unsettling his family to sit on a French bench in a place where he doesn’t know anyone and doesn’t speak the language when he can sit on the United bench and be part of the match day squads and have an opportunity to come on and prove people wrong? I know what id do in the circumstances and its not going to France

to answer your question; when both are fit i would chose Jones over Bailly as he’s less likely to do on-field brain farts

keep this in mind- Varanes fitness, maguire loss of form: Lindelof has been the most steady and even he has had his issues

Last edited:

Jericho

You don’t know what was on offer so that’s a wild assumption

but what’s the point in unsettling his family to sit on a French bench in a place where he doesn’t know anymore and doesn’t speak the language when he can sit on the United bench and be part of the match day squads and have an opportunity to come on and prove people wrong? I know what id do in the circumstances and its not going to France

to answer your question; when both are fit i would chose Jones over Bailly as he’s less likely to do on-field brain farts

keep this in mind- Varanes fitness, maguire loss of form: Lindelof has been the most steady and even he has had his issues
Fair enough but if those where his reasons then there was no point in even engaging in a potential transfer at all. And nobody can be a guaranteed starter at any team whether it be United or Bordeaux.

Bwuk

Fair enough but if those where his reasons then there was no point in even engaging in a potential transfer at all. And nobody can be a guaranteed starter at any team whether it be United or Bordeaux.
Agreed. Bordeaux are 17th in the French League, and conceding goals for fun. If Jones doesn't think he'd walk into that team then any fantasy's or delusions of him playing here again need squashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.