Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We may have different opinions about whether it was okay to renew contracts of Matic, Mata or Phil Jones. But they were/are only players, they did not go on strike or threaten, say, Woodward with death to force renewal of their contracts.

So, we may criticize the club if we don't like the renewals, but why should we show personal disrespect to the players who have continued to serve the club to the best of their abilities?

This is what pisses me off.
Exactly

golden_blunder

Staff
We have some of the highest transfer spends and wage bills in the world. Jones hasn’t stopped us or hindered the club from doing anything. Why do people care so much to the point of abusing him when it hasn’t actually stopped the club from doing anything?

He has 229 appearances for the club after joining as a teenager. He consistently gave his all for the club and completely destroyed his body as a result. He played through injuries and pain so often that he had to get his meniscus completely removed and could barely walk without being in pain. God forbid we support him for a couple years while he recovers from literally giving his knee to the club.

It’s like crying about Ferguson giving Fletcher a contract and supporting through his illness.
Yup, and it shows how far our fanbase as humans have fallen. Toxic

wolvored

He knows once his contract runs out the only way is down trophyless and on a lot less money, even if a club takes a chance on him. I suspect he will stay until his contract expires next season and maybe like Pogba who knows if there is a loyalty bonus attached to it?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He knows once his contract runs out the only way is down trophyless and on a lot less money, even if a club takes a chance on him. I suspect he will stay until his contract expires next season and maybe like Pogba who knows if there is a loyalty bonus attached to it?
Loyalty bonus at end of contract is standard practice, I assume.
His bargaining power is on the floor, wife and kids live in the area, no pressure and on near 100k a week.
I would do the same.

wolvored

Loyalty bonus at end of contract is standard practice, I assume.
His bargaining power is on the floor, wife and kids live in the area, no pressure and on near 100k a week.
I would do the same.
Exactly

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
My only concern is what effect a player not adding value and just picking up a pay cheque have on the dressing room.
I know clubs usually exclude such players but it won't happen here as he has a bit of goodwill. When trying to change the culture of a dressing room, I am not sure you should keep players in such a situation.

led_scholes

Pogba wants to go. Not even comparable
The landscape has changed the last 2 seasons. Now it’s all about running contracts down and leaving so they get another sign on fee

People want to punish Jones because he got injured

i can’t wait for him to leave and hopefully rebuild his career away from the toxic fans of United who don’t display logic, empathy or morals. (Not just referring to this thread by the way)
I don't think that's the majority. Maybe a few hold him responsible for getting injured (which is madness).

The issue is that we knew back then that he was injury prone and renewing him was a mistake. Which highlights another issue: is our medical staff so incompetent and believed that a player who was injured on average 100 days per year could suddenly be injury free, or our head doctor does not even get asked about it?

Anyway, I think most hold responsible the club not Jones for this situation. The guy was rightfully emotional when he gained his first start after years and it was one of the best moments of this year.

arthurka

We have some of the highest transfer spends and wage bills in the world. Jones hasn’t stopped us or hindered the club from doing anything. Why do people care so much to the point of abusing him when it hasn’t actually stopped the club from doing anything?

He has 229 appearances for the club after joining as a teenager. He consistently gave his all for the club and completely destroyed his body as a result. He played through injuries and pain so often that he had to get his meniscus completely removed and could barely walk without being in pain. God forbid we support him for a couple years while he recovers from literally giving his knee to the club.

It’s like crying about Ferguson giving Fletcher a contract and supporting through his illness.
This, absolutely baffling how he is being treated. Still feel so bad how he felt about his 10 year charity match.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We are letting Pogba go for free. Did you also want to keep Pogba,?
Where's the comparison when Pogba wants to leave?

Id have sold him 2 years ago alternatively if he'd sign a deal in the vicinity of Jones' 100k/w I would, then you can sell him later. I guess you can see now why they're not comparable, but maybe if Pogba had been out with a career threatening injury for 18 months you'd be saying how stupid it was that he was given a new contract and that he was "stealing a wage".

AndySmith1990

"We have some of the highest transfer spends and wage bills in the world" - yes, we do, and that's partly because we continue to extend the contracts of players who aren't good enough or don't contribute enough. Jones is included in that

"He has 229 appearances for the club after joining as a teenager. He consistently gave his all for the club and completely destroyed his body as a result. He played through injuries and pain so often that he had to get his meniscus completely removed and could barely walk without being in pain" - Not sure what your point is here?The club has paid him generously for his service and he wasn't forced to play through pain or injury.

"God forbid we support him for a couple years while he recovers from literally giving his knee to the club." - He's been supported for years through injury. How long we do we have give unconditional support before we acknowledge we're not a charity and enough is enough?

"It’s like crying about Ferguson giving Fletcher a contract and supporting through his illness." - Strawman. It's a completely different situation

Makes me laugh. Everyone pretty much unanimously agrees that the club has been run appallingly in the past 10 years, and part of the reason we're in the mess we are is because we hoard mediocre players, we pay them too much, and we don't sell at the right time. Yet almost every individual player thread contains people defending the respective player against any of these accusations due to personal affection for the player.

It may not be Jones' fault he's injury prone, but that doesn't change the fact it's utterly ridiculous that he has managed to remain at this club for over a decade. Literally every other elite club in Europe would have got rid a very, very long time ago.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
My only concern is what effect a player not adding value and just picking up a pay cheque have on the dressing room.
I know clubs usually exclude such players but it won't happen here as he has a bit of goodwill. When trying to change the culture of a dressing room, I am not sure you should keep players in such a situation.
Yes Ralf shouldve exluded Lingard, Rashford and Cavani from the first team if he had balls.

"collecting a paycheck" is a cute variation on "stealing a wage". Nice find.

After his recovery he's been training and has made the bench nearly all of our matches.

That's called working. You probably dont go around saying doctors on call are collecting a wage. But you're envious of Jones' job so then it's okay to insult him on the internet I guess.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't think that's the majority. Maybe a few hold him responsible for getting injured (which is madness).

The issue is that we knew back then that he was injury prone and renewing him was a mistake. Which highlights another issue: is our medical staff so incompetent and believed that a player who was injured on average 100 days per year could suddenly be injury free, or our head doctor does not even get asked about it?

Anyway, I think most hold responsible the club not Jones for this situation. The guy was rightfully emotional when he gained his first start after years and it was one of the best moments of this year.
All fair comment

BorisManUtd

I can understand why club and Ole wanted to extend Jones' contract but a 4-year contract was probably too long as we're stuck with him now until next summer. He's still one of only 3 players that won the Premier League with United and next summer there may not be one left if he, Cristiano and De Gea leave the club. It's been a terrible decide for us really.

city-puma

Players are people just like you and me. They are hired and protected by the contract. This is how this world runs and should run. He gets injury issues but it is very unfortunate for him as individual.
When you are sick or in long term health issue so that you are not able to work as efficiently as before, I guess many here will be happy to be fired by your employer. Sign~

Pickle85

Because it calls into question what type of person you are. It’s not normal to say that people that are injured are shit or shouldn’t be paid
Sorry but this is a nonsense. The reality is that we've spent a large amount of money on a player that's been mostly injured. To comment on his injury record negatively doesn't in any way reflect badly on the poster (depending upon how it's done, of course).

Pickle85

For not wanting to be giant cnut perhaps?

Are you seriously saying if you dont get instantly fired after a heart attack/injury (as a result of your job most likely) you're stealing a living? :lol:

I get it if you're the employer and just a cnut. Imagine being a poor dude on the internet and buying into that train of thought. It's honestly just pathetic. A win for Murdoch.
Wow, take a breather fella it seems you're getting a little worked up. I didn't say anything about fining Jones for being injured...not sure where you're getting that from? I'm saying he's been injured very, very regularly and hasn't been worth the money we've paid out on him. What's 'honestly just pathetic' is making up arguments I'm not making in order to defend a player that's been mostly injured and, when not, mostly average.

youmeletsfly

This is not even a debate. Extending Phil Jones was not the issue, even if we extended him for 200K a week.
If we'd gather a list of all issues at the club, Phil Jones would be at the bottom of it.

youmeletsfly

Sorry but this is a nonsense. The reality is that we've spent a large amount of money on a player that's been mostly injured. To comment on his injury record negatively doesn't in any way reflect badly on the poster (depending upon how it's done, of course).
Oh no, a human being running all day, in a sport with high injury risk got injured a few times, oh no, what are United doing not getting rid of him?

Why didn't they get rid of Rashford or Pogba?

This forum has turned into fecking football manager FC.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He had an opportunity to go and get some football, a change of scenery for 6 months and to get his career somewhat back on track. He chose to sit on the bench and collect his wages. And before people say "Boredaux wouldn't guarantee him playing time", if he doesn't back himself to impress enough to get minutes in this Bordeaux team, it speaks volumes about him.

Bordeaux are a mess of a club, probably wise to not go there even on loan.

city-puma

Oh no, a human being running all day, in a sport with high injury risk got injured a few times, oh no, what are United doing not getting rid of him?

I disagree. This forum has turned to slave master club.

Pickle85

'A few times'?! Are you sure about that?! Think you may be underplaying it just a little pal: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/phil-jones/verletzungen/spieler/117996

Not sure what your Rashford and Pogba whataboutery has to do with anything, or are you saying because we didn't let other underperforming players go that we should keep Jones around? Not sure your logic is particularly watertight there...

What about selling a player that's on decent wages and mostly injured is 'fecking football manager fc', or is that just something you've seen tossed around on the forum and thought it'd be cool to say?

youmeletsfly

'A few times'?! Are you sure about that?! Think you may be underplaying it just a little pal: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/phil-jones/verletzungen/spieler/117996

Not sure what your Rashford and Pogba whataboutery has to do with anything, or are you saying because we didn't let other underperforming players go that we should keep Jones around? Not sure your logic is particularly watertight there...

What about selling a player that's on decent wages and mostly injured is 'fecking football manager fc', or is that just something you've seen tossed around on the forum and thought it'd be cool to say?
Son, find something positive in life to enjoy, seriously.
Or, I guess, you could work hard, buy the club and do whatever you want to do with it, you seem to already know what's what.

golden_blunder

Staff
It does when you see some of the ones I’ve commented on over the past couple of years. I don’t mind constructive criticism but it’s the childish insults wrongly targeting a player when it should be directed at the people doing the contracts

Pickle85

Son, find something positive in life to enjoy, seriously.
Or, I guess, you could work hard, buy the club and do whatever you want to do with it, you seem to already know what's what.
Ha...'son'. You're funny. I've got plenty to take pleasure in, thanks. Buddy, I guess we'll agree to disagree. I just find it odd that you think that it's a smart move to pay a mediocre player a very decent salary to be mostly injured for us but hey, you do you mate.

Pickle85

It does when you see some of the ones I’ve commented on over the past couple of years. I don’t mind constructive criticism but it’s the childish insults wrongly targeting a player when it should be directed at the people doing the contracts
Yeah, can't argue with this. I think he's a guy that's just been very unlucky with injuries. Any ad hominem attacks are absolutely out of order.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
But we had enough years of experience to say with a high degree of certainty that he wouldn't be fit and participating for very long, and that's exactly how it turned out. Whatever way it's cut Phil Jones has been a massive waste of time and money and he should've been released when his last contract ran out
You're saying we could've predicted he'd have a career threatening injury that would leave him out for 18 months? Our medical department couldn't but someone on the internet with the power of hindsight could've.

The more logical expectation for Jones would've been to be the same injury prone player.
Here's his injury record up until his extension (from transfermarkt). It's doesn't look different from Kanes' or Pogba's at all.

17/18Hamstring InjuryNov 13, 2017Nov 30, 201717 days4
16/17Toe InjuryMar 20, 2017May 4, 201745 days10
16/17Knee InjurySep 5, 2016Nov 3, 201659 days13
15/16Ankle InjuryFeb 8, 2016Apr 4, 201656 days12
15/16Sprained AnkleJan 4, 2016Feb 3, 201630 days6
15/16Sprained AnkleNov 23, 2015Dec 10, 201517 days4
15/16Venous occlusionAug 6, 2015Sep 24, 201549 days10
14/15Ankle InjuryApr 13, 2015Apr 30, 201517 days2
14/15Shinbone injuryOct 23, 2014Dec 11, 201449 days7

Here's Pogba's injury record up until last summer when everyone would've seen the wisdom in giving him a new contract on a modest salary rather than letting him leave for free:
20/21Hamstring InjuryFeb 7, 2021Mar 16, 202137 days10
20/21Ankle InjuryNov 18, 2020Dec 1, 202013 days3
20/21Corona virusAug 27, 2020Sep 11, 202015 days-
19/20Ankle problemsDec 27, 2019Jun 5, 2020161 days19
19/20Ankle problemsOct 2, 2019Dec 20, 201979 days17
19/20Ankle InjurySep 1, 2019Sep 26, 201925 days4
19/20Back InjuryAug 2, 2019Aug 10, 20198 days-
18/19Thigh Muscle StrainJan 4, 2019Jan 12, 20198 days1
18/19Muscle InjuryNov 8, 2018Nov 23, 201815 days1
17/18Thigh muscle ruptureSep 14, 2017Nov 16, 201763 days12
16/17Hamstring InjuryMar 16, 2017Apr 3, 201718 days3
15/16Distortion of the ankleOct 8, 2015Oct 15, 20157 days-
14/15Hamstring InjuryMar 19, 2015May 7, 201549 days11

Jones' fecking up his knee this badly was unforeseen. A Ligue 1 club showing interest after an injury this bad shows his wages aren't exorbitant. The only thing that's arguable was the contract duration. A mistake on the club's end, sure.

Next you'll tell us Milan shouldn't have given Van Basten a new contract '91 because he had ankle surgery in '88. Robben's injury record was far worse than Jones' and he played 'till 37 and never had to have his meniscus removed.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Wow, take a breather fella it seems you're getting a little worked up. I didn't say anything about fining Jones for being injured...not sure where you're getting that from? I'm saying he's been injured very, very regularly and hasn't been worth the money we've paid out on him. What's 'honestly just pathetic' is making up arguments I'm not making in order to defend a player that's been mostly injured and, when not, mostly average.
Mate, you just asked me why one wouldn't say about someone that just had a heart attack that he's stealing a wage.
It's a despicable question. I sincerely hope if you get injured on the job, labor laws will still be place in the country where you live and random cnuts on the internet won't insult you for "stealing a wage" during your recovery.

Pickle85

You're saying we could've predicted he'd have a career threatening injury that would leave him out for 18 months? Our medical department couldn't but someone on the internet with the power of hindsight could've.

The more logical expectation for Jones would've been to be the same injury prone player.
Here's his injury record up until his extension (from transfermarkt). It's doesn't look different from Kanes' or Pogba's at all.

17/18Hamstring InjuryNov 13, 2017Nov 30, 201717 days4
16/17Toe InjuryMar 20, 2017May 4, 201745 days10
16/17Knee InjurySep 5, 2016Nov 3, 201659 days13
15/16Ankle InjuryFeb 8, 2016Apr 4, 201656 days12
15/16Sprained AnkleJan 4, 2016Feb 3, 201630 days6
15/16Sprained AnkleNov 23, 2015Dec 10, 201517 days4
15/16Venous occlusionAug 6, 2015Sep 24, 201549 days10
14/15Ankle InjuryApr 13, 2015Apr 30, 201517 days2
14/15Shinbone injuryOct 23, 2014Dec 11, 201449 days7

Here's Pogba's injury record up until last summer when everyone would've seen the wisdom in giving him a new contract on a modest salary rather than letting him leave for free:
20/21Hamstring InjuryFeb 7, 2021Mar 16, 202137 days10
20/21Ankle InjuryNov 18, 2020Dec 1, 202013 days3
20/21Corona virusAug 27, 2020Sep 11, 202015 days-
19/20Ankle problemsDec 27, 2019Jun 5, 2020161 days19
19/20Ankle problemsOct 2, 2019Dec 20, 201979 days17
19/20Ankle InjurySep 1, 2019Sep 26, 201925 days4
19/20Back InjuryAug 2, 2019Aug 10, 20198 days-
18/19Thigh Muscle StrainJan 4, 2019Jan 12, 20198 days1
18/19Muscle InjuryNov 8, 2018Nov 23, 201815 days1
17/18Thigh muscle ruptureSep 14, 2017Nov 16, 201763 days12
16/17Hamstring InjuryMar 16, 2017Apr 3, 201718 days3
15/16Distortion of the ankleOct 8, 2015Oct 15, 20157 days-
14/15Hamstring InjuryMar 19, 2015May 7, 201549 days11

Jones' fecking up his knee this badly was unforeseen. A Ligue 1 club showing interest after an injury this bad shows his wages aren't exorbitant. The only thing that's arguable was the contract duration. A mistake on the club's end, sure.

Next you'll tell us Milan shouldn't have given Van Basten a new contract '91 because he had ankle surgery in '88. Robben's injury record was far worse than Jones' and he played 'till 37 and never had to have his meniscus removed.
Comparing Van Basten and Jones' situations is one of the more ridiculous false equivalencies I've seen on the caf. Kudos.

Pickle85

Mate, you just asked me why one wouldn't say about someone that just had a heart attack that he's stealing a wage.
It's a despicable question. I sincerely hope if you get injured on the job, labor laws will still be place in the country where you live and random cnuts on the internet won't insult you for "stealing a wage" during your recovery.
Can you please point me to where I said this?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Comparing Van Basten and Jones' situations is one of the more ridiculous false equivalencies I've seen on the caf. Kudos.
Only a WUM could read that post and see a Van Basten & Jones comparison rather than a Jones and Pogba comparison.

The Van Basten and robben examples are clearly there to demonstrate how silly it is to discuss contract renewals that happened the past with the power of hindsight.

Can you please point me to where I said this?
Absolutely:
Agreed. Calling Jones 'shit' is a bit far but the rallying around a player that has never looked top class for us, has missed more games than he's played, all while picking up a lovely big paycheck is weird. It was a punt that didn't work out...nobody's fault but we should have moved on from it ages ago.
Would you make the same paycheck criticism if it was Blind or Eriksen being unavailable due to an injury on an existing contract?
Um...yes. Why wouldn't one?!
You'll probably be pedantic and argue semantics ("collecting a lovely paycheck isn't identical to the "stealing a wage" line)

Pickle85

Only a WUM could read that post and see a Van Basten & Jones comparison rather than a Jones and Pogba comparison.

The Van Basten and robben examples are clearly there to demonstrate how silly it is to discuss contract renewals that happened the past with the power of hindsight.

Absolutely:
Ah, so you can't provide me with an example of me saying that someone thats had a heart attack is stealing a living then. If you read up, you'll see that I never even implied that, which must be embarrassing. Despite how you've edited the order of the posts you're quoting, you'll note that you brought up the ridiculous heart attack false equivalent after I said 'um, yes...why wouldn't one?' Thats an embarrassing one for you but just accept you made a mistake and move on buddy. The Van Basten and Robben equivalencies are ridiculous because Phil Jones isn't close to the players that they are, so yes, naturally clubs would be more likely to take calculated gambles on them. Its a dumb 'example'

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ah, so you can't provide me with an example of me saying that someone thats had a heart attack is stealing a living then. If you read up, you'll see that I never even implied that, which must be embarrassing. Despite how you've edited the order of the posts you're quoting, you'll note that you brought up the ridiculous heart attack false equivalent after I said 'um, yes...why wouldn't one?' Thats an embarrassing one for you but just accept you made a mistake and move on buddy. The Van Basten and Robben equivalencies are ridiculous because Phil Jones isn't close to the players that they are, so yes, naturally clubs would be more likely to take calculated gambles on them. Its a dumb 'example'
Ah you went with the gish gallop. Commendable effort.
I didn't edit the posts except for the bolding. That was our only exchange, exactly as written.

My post wasn't about Robben or Van Basten. It was about comparing Jones' injury record up until his contract extension to Pogba's injury record before last summer when most would have thought extending his contract on a modest salary was preferable to letting him leave on a free.

The point about Robben and Van Basten was just too show the unpredictability of a player having a career threatening injury. No comparison was ever made between Robben/Van Basten and Jones. This is your own imagination.

Now let's get back on topic and discuss your thoughts on paid sick leave rather than your imaginative purposeful misinterpretations of my posts.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He’s been terribly unlucky with injury, but I’d seriously question his motivation to play if he were still here come September. Needs shifting as soon as possible.
He has obviously lost football side of motivation, considering he was injury free in last few months and didn't play and is apparently still fine with his position in the team, instead of going somewhere where he might actually play. If we sign another CB this summer and he still decides to stay then you know he is here just for the money and doesn't care one bit about playing football.

Not that he didn't show that in the January when he denied loan transfer anyway.

Pickle85

Ah you went with the gish gallop. Commendable effort.
I didn't edit the posts except for the bolding. That was our only exchange, exactly as written.

My post wasn't about Robben or Van Basten. It was about comparing Jones' injury record up until his contract extension to Pogba's injury record before last summer when most would have thought extending his contract on a modest salary was preferable to letting him leave on a free.

The point about Robben and Van Basten was just too show the unpredictability of a player having a career threatening injury. No comparison was ever made between Robben/Van Basten and Jones. This is your own imagination.

Now let's get back on topic and discuss your thoughts on paid sick leave rather than your imaginative purposeful misinterpretations of my posts.
Ok, so to clear this up (because I agree that saying someone that had a heart attack could be seen as stealing a living is very wrong) you admit i never said that, then?

The Robben and Van Basten examples are bad examples, again, because they're much better players and worth taking a gamble on. I didn't say you were comparing them as players, in fact it's clear you weren't because that would make it an even sillier example. You compared the situations though which, for the reasons I've already highlighted, is dumb. As for getting back on topic, how does discussing my thoughts about paid sick leave do that?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He wont ask to leave but ETH might transfer list him and see if there are any takers.
Saying that if he can stay fit he could be useful, hes not a dreadful player and coached properly he might be very useful as a back up.
I hope he has a swansong

ThanksBoss26

He has obviously lost football side of motivation, considering he was injury free in last few months and didn't play and is apparently still fine with his position in the team, instead of going somewhere where he might actually play. If we sign another CB this summer and he still decides to stay then you know he is here just for the money and doesn't care one bit about playing football.

Not that he didn't show that in the January when he denied loan transfer anyway.
The MEN have mentioned a couple of times in recent weeks that he wants out this summer so this might finally be the year. Assuming there's a taker and right deal on the table that is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Had a swell of sympathy for him when he left the pitch obviously emotional after having managed a rare appearance.

If he opts to stay rather than to pursue gametime elsewhere then that sympathy will diminish somewhat. His nightmare injury record isn't at all his fault but having made so much money while playing such little football over the years, I would expect him to prioritise actually getting to play football again if he manages to move past those injury issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.