Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Not one to speculate on players personal lives, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a mental issue there. Or a personal thing we don't know about. His body shouldn't be this broken down at his age.

Players only miss an entire season if they fracture a large bone (oi oi) or something like that. Nobody even knows what Jones' injury is that's kept him out nearly 2 years.
My thinking too. Have no idea what injury he supposedly has / had, but hope he at least manages to get to a place where he is training regularly with the first team again.

Like you, I don't want to speculate, but if he is having issues with mental health then we as a fanbase may feel a tad bad when we use photos of him like that in this thread to mock him, even in a jokey way.

Devil81

Imagine getting nearly 4 million a year without actually doing anything.

Absolutely crazy.

Gandalf

He doesn't care about playing football obviously or at least it's not a priority in his life. He must settled where he is, in his life, no need for much change
That is harsh. He was offered his new contract during the period when Ole was interim manager and at that point was a first team regular coming off the back of playing in the World Cup the previous summer. He has been injured for some time now, it is a knee issue and he has apparently suffered a number of setbacks in his rehab, I don't think for one second he does not care about playing and I am rooting for him to get fit and prove it here or elsewhere.

pseudo_canadian

At the end of the season he has been with us for 10 years. Time flies if you're not playing.
Crazy it’s been that long already. I still remember his phenomenal performance in midfield at the Bernabeu in the away tie.

He had so much potential.

Oldyella

The only CB we have currently that's an ex Premier League champion. His partnership with Mike Smalling is a legendary story that will be told for generations to come.
Can it really be considered a partnership when one was a part timer?

stevoc

Been saying it for a while now, I've got a feeling something is going to come out about Phil this season. He is either running his contract down and refusing to budge or it could be something more serious like that ex City player Johnson.

I don't think the club even want him back training, what's the point.
That's a bit of an unjustified leap to make don't you think?

He could be injured, sick or have mental health issues. But I doubt it's anything criminal.

saivet

He could be injured, sick or have mental health issues. But I doubt it's anything criminal.
My first thought was he was referencing Michael Johnson rather than Adam Johnson.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That is harsh. He was offered his new contract during the period when Ole was interim manager and at that point was a first team regular coming off the back of playing in the World Cup the previous summer. He has been injured for some time now, it is a knee issue and he has apparently suffered a number of setbacks in his rehab, I don't think for one second he does not care about playing and I am rooting for him to get fit and prove it here or elsewhere.
That's a while ago now. There is no real footballing future for him at Utd, he should have tried his luck elsewhere a while ago

Revan

Assumptionman
Contract until 2023...my God! Has he played up to 10 games within that period?
He played 8 games (2 in the league) in the last 2 seasons combined. All of them were in 2019-2020, he didn't feature at all last season.

It could be the most pointless contract of all time. I do not expect him to ever play for us again, so by 2023, he would have averaged 0.5 league matches or 2 matches in all competitions for season over the course of his contract.

kouroux

You missed the part where he was a regular when he got hurt and has not been fit since. How exactly is he meant to try his luck elsewhere when he can't currently pass a medical?
When Maguire was bought, it was the final nail in the coffin for his career. Plenty of players, who are injured, have signed for other clubs, it's been done before and it will be done

alquemyst

I do not think he will ever have the chance of gaining back a starting place somewhere unless he goes on a pay per play system.
He's too much of a risk to take for any team at this moment.

Gandalf

When Maguire was bought, it was the final nail in the coffin for his career. Plenty of players, who are injured, have signed for other clubs, it's been done before and it will be done
When Maguire was bought we sent Smalling to Roma. Jones at that point had signed a new contract a few months earlier and was playing regularly and quite reasonably believed he had a shot to be a starter alongside Maguire. The 19/20 season instead saw Lindelof cement his spot but during that period Jones picked up what has become a long standing nightmare of an injury. I am not for one second saying he has any future here, I just see a lot of people saying he is stealing a living and he does not want to play and yet the facts are that so far he has had no chance to leave due to his fitness issues. I hope he can prove his fitness in the next couple of months and if he does I feel there is a great chance we can move him on in the January window.

Blood Mage

It's almost surreal that he's still under contract with us. His body is just too broken at this point, I can only see a club from League 1 or 2 taking him on a free after we release him.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Imagine getting nearly 4 million a year without actually doing anything.

Absolutely crazy.
It doesn’t happen often and players are entitled to these protections. They’re only ever one injury away from the end of their career.

We would all sign the contracts that he has. Every single one of us.

I find his story sad. Many here are angry. I honestly don’t know how they can’t find empathy.

kouroux

When Maguire was bought we sent Smalling to Roma. Jones at that point had signed a new contract a few months earlier and was playing regularly and quite reasonably believed he had a shot to be a starter alongside Maguire. The 19/20 season instead saw Lindelof cement his spot but during that period Jones picked up what has become a long standing nightmare of an injury. I am not for one second saying he has any future here, I just see a lot of people saying he is stealing a living and he does not want to play and yet the facts are that so far he has had no chance to leave due to his fitness issues. I hope he can prove his fitness in the next couple of months and if he does I feel there is a great chance we can move him on in the January window.
I don't say anything like he's stealing a living. I just think he has no real hunger or ambition to play competitive football regularly.

Gandalf

I don't say anything like he's stealing a living. I just think he has no real hunger or ambition to play competitive football regularly.
I didn't specifically say that you did but others have made that comment. I just don't understand why you feel he has no ambition to play competitive football regularly when that is exactly what he was doing before he got hurt. If he was fit and not playing and did not push for a move then sure I would agree with you but until he is cleared to play it is just your opinion and it is not supported by the facts.

Foxbatt

I feel sorry for the guy. Injuries are something no one wants. He gives all when he is asked to play ( whenever he is fit). I am sure he also wants to be injury free and play football. If not for United then some other club.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
What's his injury that takes more than 400 days to recover from?

Jezpeza

If Varane comes in its Maguire Varane Bailly Lindelof Tuanzabe Jones in the pecking order. Do we need to be 6 deep at the back and does he offer anything that Bernard or Mengi couldnt?

funny one. Bit of a Jack Wilshere/Andy Carroll/Dan Sturridge type, I think he will be here to the end of his contract. No one will buy him. And no one will offer him anymore than pay as you play or a very low salary if he leaves, even if he could hypothetically stay fit after the free transfer. Track record is so bad. He’s Not turning down a guaranteed salary to June 2023 to try and earn pay as you play somewhere. We are stuck with him

kouroux

I didn't specifically say that you did but others have made that comment. I just don't understand why you feel he has no ambition to play competitive football regularly when that is exactly what he was doing before he got hurt. If he was fit and not playing and did not push for a move then sure I would agree with you but until he is cleared to play it is just your opinion and it is not supported by the facts.
Of course it's my opinion, I can still state it can't I ? A player doesn't need to be fit to show he wants to leave for other opportunities. Since Maguire has been established with Lindelof, it should have signaled to him to look for some new club. I'm sure a low ranked club would always be interested in an experienced player like him. He hasn't been injured for 2 seasons straight

Brophs

The One and Only
For all he gets the piss taken out of him managers tend to like him when he’s fit. If he stays here and somehow stays fit I think he’ll play some games next season, mad as it sounds.

stevoc

Isn't this also just your opinion and not based on any publicly available facts?

At this point with how vague solskjaer and the club have been on what exactly his current injury is, what has/is being done to heal it and what sort of time frame we can expect until he returns. Then it would be an assumption to state as fact that he actually is physically injured.

Who knows why he hasn't played in going on 2 years. But if it was a serious injury you'd think we would have had a bit more info from the club on it by now.

Devil81

Not Adam Johnson, the midfielder who was highly rated and had his contract cancelled due to fitness and mental issues.

I thought his name was Johnson can't remember though.

choccy77

I hear Jones excelled himself today.

Give him that new contract asap

choccy77

For all he gets the piss taken out of him managers tend to like him when he’s fit. If he stays here and somehow stays fit I think he’ll play some games next season, mad as it sounds.
Yeah but that was only the day he was born, he was in A&e the moment they cut the cord and slapped his ass

stevoc

Not Adam Johnson, the midfielder who was highly rated and had his contract cancelled due to fitness and mental issues.

I thought his name was Johnson can't remember though.
No worries my mistake, someone else pointed it out. His name was Michael Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.