Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been saying it for a while now, I've got a feeling something is going to come out about Phil this season. He is either running his contract down and refusing to budge or it could be something more serious like that ex City player Johnson.

I don't think the club even want him back training, what's the point.
This sounds almost like a good old fashioned Pog-spiracy. The man is injured.

DownRiver

Can someone make a total of the sum of money he has earned since his last game for United?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For all he gets the piss taken out of him managers tend to like him when he’s fit. If he stays here and somehow stays fit I think he’ll play some games next season, mad as it sounds.
I appreciate that you need rhythm, but even when fit, he’s been poor. I remember him practically playing centre forward for Sheffield United in one of his more recent outings for us.

Jonno

Has anyone actually met Phil Jones?
My mate told me a story about when he signed for United. He apparently took 7-8 of his best mates to one of the party islands when he found out the deal had gone through to celebrate. My mates mate included. He spent about £20,000 on everyone getting there and on their food & drink. Apparently a nice young lad at the time who was very hopeful of a good career.

Shame really. His gurning face doesn't help, along with his injuries, and being thrusted into the first team to replace Vidic and Ferdinand alongside Smalling. No real coming back from all that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Can someone make a total of the sum of money he has earned since his last game for United?
Hard to know, but if we take 70k/week as his average salary (conservative, cause United is stupid in offering high contracts), for 10 years, that adds up to 36m. Add 16.5m for the transfer and you reach 52.5m. Add signing on fee, agent fees, loyalty fees, and I would guess a minimum of 55-60m.

PoTMS

The fact he had his contract extended (by 5 years) tells you all you need to know about Manchester United post-Fergie. Only Barcelona are mismanaged more than us but at least they still win stuff.

Devil81

Has been seen at Carrington yet?

Last I'd read he'd be absent.

We know what's coming. He gets hyped up whilst injured, comes back for a great couple of games, has a stinker, then gets injured again and the cycle repeats. He's like a curse and a reminder of everything that's been wrong with the club for the last 10 years. When he goes we will breath fresh air again.

Nero

I wonder if there will even be a comeback this time. Almost 18 months since he last played, not even doing pre-season.

Oranges038

I worked it out at about 77 weeks, if his last game was the FA Cup v Tranmere on 26/01/2020.

He's on 75k a week - comes in at around - £5,775,000.

mancsarered

This lad alive? No signs of him anywhere, including his own social media.

r1z3mu

Phil Jones - where do we start. Great lad, team player, extremely unlucky, has enough talent to be starter in bottom 10 PL teams. So no problems here. Problem is that he is always injured and most of the time he injures himself. So giving him 75K a week is like charitable donation. Can you imagine this 75K could've been given to new Pogba contract. Maybe I'm wrong or being nasty but we should've cut him loose when his contract expired. He is just not good enough to be MU player and it was not a good business from Ed or Joel or whoever put this new contract together.

Scottynaldinho

I remember around 3 seasons ago where he had a decent run of games by his standards, he sat down for an interview. He mentioned how yoga has transformed his fitness and that he learned Giggs left his injuries behind with yoga. I thinking it's fair to think even yoga didn't work for the lad.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hard to know, but if we take 70k/week as his average salary (conservative, cause United is stupid in offering high contracts), for 10 years, that adds up to 36m. Add 16.5m for the transfer and you reach 52.5m. Add signing on fee, agent fees, loyalty fees, and I would guess a minimum of 55-60m.
I am sure it is well insured, meaning we get good money if he is out

UpWithRivers

There are two things you can never change at United. First the naming of the stadium and second is Phil Jones in the treatment room. Its tradition.

Real Name

He will probably retire at United at this rate.

It's a sad story really regarding his career but worse is he's still at the club somehow.

3vra

It comes to the point where i do not really care about the player i just want Varane to take that nr 4 from him. So sad, remember when he was playing so good people were sure he is gonna be United and England captain. Injuries and his faces made him living meme, he was really good defender with fantastic attitude, It is a shame how his career has turn around and he did not fulfill his potential.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I've come the conclusion this lad is a part of the coaching staff now. He can't be rotation/back up or else we'd see him sweating a bit every now and then.
Phil Jones is become our very own Winston Bogarde. Embarrassing being on the dole is more dignified.

VanTastic_

Pulling a Carlos Kaiser on us
From his wiki:

"Although his abilities were far short of professional standard, he managed to sign for numerous teams during his decade-long career. He never actually played a regular game, with his only appearance ending in a red card minutes after being brought on, and hid his limited ability with injuries, frequent team changes and other ruses."

That's actually hilarious :lol:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
So if we loan him out, can we allot that squad number to any other player?

The Cluck

So if we loan him out, can we allot that squad number to any other player?
Absolutely. That's how Mata ended up with #8 even though Anderson was still at the club (he was away on loan at the time).

He wouldn't need to be out on loan however to take his number off of him. Heinze had his #4 taken off him and given to Hargreaves when he signed if I remember correctly.

The Cluck

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Phil Jones is due to start training over the weekend. "I’ve had similar troubles in my career & he’s such a professional, good lad," the #MUFC boss said, adding that the defender could be eased back with some U23 games or matches behind closed doors
Hopefully, he can stay fit and get a decent run of games under his belt, even if it's a mixture of U23 games and appearances in the League Cup. If it gets him a move to a good club where he can finish his career staying relatively injury-free and playing regularly, that would be excellent for him. If he could stay fit and wanted to accept a squad role at United, he would be a very decent backup/utility player. A lot of ifs though.

dalriada

I saw a video of him a little while back at some event involving SAF and he looked well and healthy. It's a knee injury so it's plausible that it's needed a lot of recovery time. Ole's talking about him starting back with the U23s, which makes sense as he has a big job to get his playing confidence back.

Not making a case for bringing him back, except maybe as a fallback option if there are no buyers, but I wish him well with his recovery and hope he can resume his career somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.