Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pav1790

Poor guy declined a testimonial if reports are to be believed. Him and Smalling - they both suffered a lot as a side-effect of Fergie retiring. Both were seen to be the future partnership. And Jones was one of the best young CBs at the time when we got him from Blackburn - I even remember him in playing for Blackburn against us. I was buzzing with the window when we signed him, DDG - yeah wasn't too impressed with Youngy but he scored two goals against Arsenal early on in the season so I was on board. Shame how it all has turned so bitter now.

I can only hope that father time will heal - and we will look back at Jones with a fondness as a fanbase. As opposed to the divisive debating point he seems to have become these days through no fault of his own.

devips

Most of these Jones haters around here- are they naturally imbecile? I wonder.

Jones is blamed for getting injured, blamed for signing an extension initiated by the club he plays for, and blamed for a rumour he refused to part with his jersey number! How absurd do you think one can get?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Jones is blamed for getting injured, blamed for signing an extension initiated by the club he plays for, and blamed for a rumour he refused to part with his jersey number! How absurd do you think one can get?
Oh I think same people can get even more absurd!

Irwin99

I don't blame him at all for his injuries and I think his luck has been horrific but other than his first two seasons he's never shown that much quality when he has actually played. It's no exaggeration to say i've been shocked whenever I've clicked on old youtube videos of our games and there's been a Phil Jones mistake in one of the games he's played in. For instance i'm pretty sure Fergie's last OT game against Swansea had a Jones error in it, Moyes last game against Everton had a Jones error, FA Cup final against Chelsea etc. There have been so many cringe moments and so few actual good ones.

It's astonishing he's had so many contract renewals when he really hasn't shown a lot of quality when he has played. If memory serves his last game that he played was against Sheffield United and involved yet another goal causing mistake.

Hope the guy can move on and make what's left of his career elsewhere if he leaves. Disregarding his wages, it is actually a pretty sad story from a professional point of view.

littleman

Our club is poorly run and should’ve never given him that 4 year contract. Fools

Abraxas

There are murmurings around a potential loan deal to get football. Phil Jones might want to get football but he may not want to give up half his salary in the process. It's not reasonable to think another club is going to make the same mistake we did in economic terms. Rio's point is total nonsense, Phil Jones has done absolutely nothing wrong.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There are murmurings around a potential loan deal to get football. Phil Jones might want to get football but he may not want to give up half his salary in the process. It's not reasonable to think another club is going to make the same mistake we did in economic terms. Rio's point is total nonsense, Phil Jones has done absolutely nothing wrong.
You are not going to be homeless and poor with 45k or 50k p/w wages. End of the day it's Jones decision to choose not to play football and collect his 75k p/w wages over getting paid 45k or 50k p/w but playing football.

Abraxas

You are not going to be homeless and poor with 45k or 50k p/w wages. End of the day it's Jones decision to choose not to play football and collect his 75k p/w wages over getting paid 45k or 50k p/w but playing football.
It's nothing to do with being homeless or poor. A complete irrelevance. None of them are going to be poor on any contract negotiation, ever - unless they've gambled it all away or something ridiculous. Why you think this is pertinent baffles me.

We don't know the terms on offer. When I said half his wages that was a figure of speech. In the real world the likelihood is a team would expect him on a pay as you play deal for a permanent deal. A loan deal may be slightly different with us taking up the slack as it's a short term commitment.

It may not be as simple as a hefty pay cut, the terms of his employment may completely change. It was incumbent on us to do right by ourselves. The fact we failed in that doesn't mean there's an expectation for the player to right our wrongs.

Phil Jones may want first team football but I'm sure he has some kind of minimum expectation for what he's prepared to exchange for that. Short of the complete details I don't see anything to criticise from afar. I get that it's frustrating to have a player that's perceived to be taking up a wage but it has to be thought about sensibly, not just from the club's viewpoint.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It's nothing to do with being homeless or poor. A complete irrelevance. None of them are going to be poor on any contract negotiation, ever - unless they've gambled it all away or something ridiculous. Why you think this is pertinent baffles me.

We don't know the terms on offer. When I said half his wages that was a figure of speech. In the real world the likelihood is a team would expect him on a pay as you play deal for a permanent deal. A loan deal may be slightly different with us taking up the slack as it's a short term commitment.

It may not be as simple as a hefty pay cut, the terms of his employment may completely change. It was incumbent on us to do right by ourselves. The fact we failed in that doesn't mean there's an expectation for the player to right our wrongs.

Phil Jones may want first team football but I'm sure he has some kind of minimum expectation for what he's prepared to exchange for that. Short of the complete details I don't see anything to criticise from afar. I get that it's frustrating to have a player that's perceived to be taking up a wage but it has to be thought about sensibly, not just from the club's viewpoint.
I used 45k-50k not because what you said about half pay cut but because that's the amount of money PL footballers are getting from lesser clubs. Winston Reid is getting 70k p/w, Welbeck is getting 55k p/w, Dunk is getting 45k p/w, Duffy is getting 40k p/w, Federico Fernandez is getting 47k p/w, both Schar and Lascalles are getting 40k p/w. That's the minimum expectation number Jones would receive if he joins another PL club.

45k-50k is already good amount of money for PL footballers, it's not amount of wages that turn footballers into poor or homeless. Jones chooses more money over playing times, that's Jones decision and people have right to question it. Questioning that decision is not total non sense!!

United in sin

Bryan Robson seems to think Jones has a role to play and thinks Varane can provide 'competition' at center back. This is a strange read to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me if the people who run this club share this sentiment since they're more than happy to pay him 75k a week to not even make matchday squads

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/phil-jones-manchester-united-role-21398314

Bryan Robson explains why Phil Jones still has a role to play at Manchester United
Phil Jones is being backed to still play an important role in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad despite competition for places being so fierce.

Former Manchester United captain Bryan Robson believes Phil Jones still has a role to play at Old Trafford despite finding himself well down the pecking order order in the battle for a centre-back berth.

The former Blackburn Rovers man, who is under contract at United until the summer of 2023, is currently building up his fitness levels after a long spell on the sidelines with a serious knee injury, meaning he has not played since January 2020.

Although United have since strengthened their central-defensive options with the signing of Raphael Varane, once again pushing Jones down the pecking order, Robson still believes Jones has a part to play.

The former United midfielder has highlighted his experience as being a key attribute to his qualities, as well as insisting that he is a "very good player."

"Luke Shaw and Harry Maguire were as good as anybody in the European Championship in the summer," Robson told United's club website. "Luke was excellent last season and I think he’s got a good understanding with Harry, so that looks strong.

"Raphael Varane looks as if he’s going to be good competition at centre-back, we’ve got Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly and Phil Jones – Phil’s hardly played any football over the last couple of years but we all see, when he does play, he’s a very good player.

"If Phil stays fit, then that’s great experience and a very good player. So centre-half-wise we are looking strong, we’ve got a lot of competition there."

High level sport is not a friendly easy going place. It's dog eat dog. Rio's mentality made him a winner - and what he says is right. Is the best thing for Manchester United to have Jones taking up an squad place? Should players have to deliver to be rewarded with new contracts at United?

Yes Ole is publicly protecting the player and rightly so. But in private I'm sure he'd agree with everything Rio said.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I don’t think I’ve ever really slagged Jones off but I still felt guilty listening to Ole in the presser. Fair play to him for that.

RUCK4444

I feel a tad bad having been harsh on Jones after hearing Ole talking about him. Although I stand by my opinion that the renewal was a poor decision.

Ole didn’t explain the injury though and eluded to the fact Jones is not in the public eye much or on social media, which I think adds to the problem because fans don’t understand his absence.

What is the injury? Surely it must be a chronic recurring issue of some kind?

arthurka

Sir Alex have players plenty of time to heal, want that there most competitive environment in the world. Glad to see Ole stick up for the poor guy. Rio should have kept his mouth shut, guy who missed a year of footy because he wasn't bothered to piss in a cup at the time.

Bwuk

Ole probably sees a lot of himself in Jones.

Injuries are horrible, I would imagine Jones has had a really hard time mentally. He was supposed to be the next big thing; but ended up a bit of a meme.

edcunited1878

Ole defending and empathizing with an injured player isn't something new or shocking. It's partly why the squad has good harmony and attitude.

However, Jones has been at the club for 10 years...he hasn't been playing for 10 years, more like 5 in totality. The less spent thinking about Jones the better. Let him do what he needs to do in the background. Don't think he's a hinderance to the club or wages. His time at United has been terrible due to injuries, but he doesn't complain and gives his everything whenever he has played. It's been tough for Phil, but always nice to see someone, especially your manager publicly support you.

Suedesi

Very good by Ole.

United have been very fair and patient with Phil - I hope there's more to come from him.

Shimo

Wonder if Jones will mark the hell of out Ronaldo in training like back when we played RM.

Foxbatt

Its says more about Ole really. He stood up for his player who was having a very hard time getting recovered from a bad injury. Rightly so and good on Ole to do so. Also it was wise of Ole not to bring him back too quickly. I am sure if he gets fit then he is going to get games here and there until he is fit enough to be rotated about. A fully fit Jones can play in midfield. At least did in the past.

SAFMUTD

I felt like crying reading that. Imagine the whole world mocking you.
Great statement from Ole, he definitely sees himself reflected in Jones.

Still was a poor decision to renew his contract but I understand why he did it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Great statement from Ole, he definitely sees himself reflected in Jones.

Still was a poor decision to renew his contract but I understand why he did it.
Of course. The worst renewal I have seen. His injury problems started long before 2019.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
It's refreshing to see a manger sticking up for his player in public instead of throwing him under the bus. Ole understands the value of always protecting his players in public, like Sir Alex. As a manger you can always cause more harm than good when criticising a player in public if you know they are 'fragile'. Different players need different ways of being managed. Sir Alex understood that. Ole understands it. Some of our most recent former managers did not.

Behind closed doors it might be a different story, but it's always important to respect a player, a fellow human being, in public.

E-mal

I hope he can get some fitness so we can let him leave in January. At this point he needs to get back to playing football again, he has lost so much time.

United in sin

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Rio said and it's crazy he felt he had to apologize. Jones has been nothing but a well paid passenger at United for years now.

Based Adnan

Rio said on the latest podcast that since his original comments, Jones' injuries have been so bad that he's been told Jones trained with Bruno for the first time last week

Kyonn

Rio said on the latest podcast that since his original comments, Jones' injuries have been so bad that he's been told Jones trained with Bruno for the first time last week
Good to hear he's training. Wouldn't mind him getting a run out at DM in some meaningless cup games.

Status
Not open for further replies.