Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crustanoid

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Rio said and it's crazy he felt he had to apologize. Jones has been nothing but a well paid passenger at United for years now.
This, he’s done very well out of us. The money spent on his wages could pay hundreds of the fans salaries. We have a right to question him.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
This, he’s done very well out of us. The money spent on his wages could pay hundreds of the fans salaries. We have a right to question him.
Ah god I despair of any ‘supporter’ who shares this view. So callous. He’s done well, stolen a living, taken the club for a ride etc.. The man has been physically unable to perform his job for over 18 months, even if he wanted too. Do you not think he would rather have been playing? What toll has this taken on his mental health? But no, obviously it’s all about money, the only thing that matters.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Ah god I despair of any ‘supporter’ who shares this view. So callous. He’s done well, stolen a living, taken the club for a ride etc.. The man has been physically unable to perform his job for over 18 months, even if he wanted too. Do you not think he would rather have been playing? What toll has this taken on his mental health? But no, obviously it’s all about money, the only thing that matters.
Can't believe some can be so hostile towards some of our players who struggled with injuries. Anderson, Welbeck, Bailly, even Pogba got their very rough treatment, like it was their mistake to be injured. Imagine you are a footballer and you finally make it to your dream club, of course get paid well but you can do what you always wanted - just to play footy and some bad luck will take it from you.

It's obviously quite bad decision to extend Jones's contract two years ago, but perhaps the contract was scaled base on appearances. In any other way, Jones didn't chose to be injured so I think people should have a bit of respect towards him.

Strangely He's 29 and if he can back to fitness for a lesser club, still can be a premier league quality even if he plays through injuries like Brown or Evans. And Evans even now plays at a decent level at Leicester. Could have come handy all these seasons with Lindelof.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Let me guess he's injured again?

stevoc

We have no idea and it's probably not appropriate to speculate about it so much either.

It seems like Phil Jones mental health is discussed and speculated on as much as his physical health in here.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Is that your contribution or your stance as a moderator? It's merely my opinion, but I see some players are untouchable. I doubt you'd be bothered if Lindelof was in Jones position
How can you read Oles presser from the wolves match and have that attitude as a United ‘supporter’? Have a bit of empathy ffs

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
We have no idea and it's probably not appropriate to speculate about it so much either.

It seems like Phil Jones mental health is discussed and speculated on as much as his physical health in here.
It's an easy bit of speculation. Trust me when I say recurring or consecutive injuries can really bring you down. It's also easy to develop some apprehension of engaging in high impact activity because you believe the outcome will be more injuries. Then you're depressed again. It's a horrible cycle.

Elliot

Just wanted to promote this a bit more, maybe get through some thick heads
Totally agree, Jones definitely deserves a little more sympathy and support from the fans. Yes he earns a lot of money for not doing much but so do most footballers.

I sometimes find myself feeling bad for the stick he gets. Then I scroll up and see his picture in the thread headline and laugh my head off.

stevoc

It's an easy bit of speculation. Trust me when I say recurring or consecutive injuries can really bring you down. It's also easy to develop some apprehension of engaging in high impact activity because you believe the outcome will be more injuries. Then you're depressed again. It's a horrible cycle.
Obviously it's easy to speculate that a player who's been injured for 2 years might be depressed, we can all make that assumption. If he is suffering I feel for him as someone who has close family members who suffer greatly from mental health problems. I know full well it can be a horrible cycle.

But I don't see the need to constantly discuss and speculate about the guys mental health when it's none of our business and assume he's having problems when we obviously don't know one way or another. And I certainly don't see why people are always talking about it in a thread that is supposed to be dedicated to discussing his performances.

Witchking

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Rio said and it's crazy he felt he had to apologize. Jones has been nothing but a well paid passenger at United for years now.
He got injured while on duty with United, of course United have to take care of him. Rio was out of order. He speculated about something he had no clue about and has apologized. Get a grip, he is United lad and is doing the best he can.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Obviously it's easy to speculate that a player who's been injured for 2 years might be depressed, we can all make that assumption. If he is suffering I feel for him as someone who has close family members who suffer greatly from mental health problems. I know full well it can be a horrible cycle.

But I don't see the need to constantly discuss and speculate about the guys mental health when it's none of our business and assume he's having problems when we obviously don't know one way or another. And I certainly don't see why people are always talking about it in a thread that is supposed to be dedicated to discussing his performances.
Well, I'm sure he's very happy to be back in training but probably a little apprehensive. Hopefully he can stay healthy, get match fit and contribute again, even if it's only from the bench.

Leonzo1

Football fans can be so narrow minded it's mind boggling. Mental health is not important, family is not important, physical condition is not important. It's only "You get paid millions so you are not entitled to have difficulties outside of football". Just look at the meltdown when Sancho and Cavani joined the squad later than the rest of the squad. Suddenly they don't care about our club and how dare they ask for more time for personal reasons.

Cultured left ankle

Football fans can be so narrow minded it's mind boggling. Mental health is not important, family is not important, physical condition is not important. It's only "You get paid millions so you are not entitled to have difficulties outside of football". Just look at the meltdown when Sancho and Cavani joined the squad later than the rest of the squad. Suddenly they don't care about our club and how dare they ask for more time for personal reasons.
Absolutely. Supporting a team means supporting the guys through thick and thin. Jones has been with us through some tough times, but he daren't get up on social media lest our 'fans' give him abuse for having the audacity for being injured.

Yes it sucks that he's not as available as we'd like, but I'd rather the club stick by him than cast him out just because his face doesn't fit. We've shown players similar treatment in the past - Ole himself, as he mentions, Fletcher, Bryan Robson to name a few - and we've generally remained patient and welcomed tham back warmly. Why does Jones get different treatment? Because 'he's a meme player?'

Plant0x84

Phil’s mental health is generally spoken about when defending him from baseless rumour and continual cruel mocking. It’s a reminder to some that our players are human beings and not robots for there own amusement.
Not only does Phil have to deal with the anguish of injury, and not being able to do his job, but he has to cope with the mockery of everything from his wages, his performances and his fitness to his facial expressions for goodness sake. It’s not speculating to assume that will have a negative effect on the lad.
Furthermore I would counter your post and say yes, we should absolutely be discussing the mental well-being of our players and staff, the same as we should be able to discuss our own mental health and emotions. It shouldn’t be taboo to talk about Phils mental health the same way as we discuss his physical health.

stevoc

Phil’s mental health is generally spoken about when defending him from baseless rumour and continual cruel mocking. It’s a reminder to some that our players are human beings and not robots for there own amusement.
Not only does Phil have to deal with the anguish of injury, and not being able to do his job, but he has to cope with the mockery of everything from his wages, his performances and his fitness to his facial expressions for goodness sake. It’s not speculating to assume that will have a negative effect on the lad.
Furthermore I would counter your post and say yes, we should absolutely be discussing the mental well-being of our players and staff, the same as we should be able to discuss our own mental health and emotions. It shouldn’t be taboo to talk about Phils mental health the same way as we discuss his physical health.
It shouldn't be taboo to talk about mental health, if someone wants to talk about their own issues or mental health in general. But it probably should be taboo to assume someone has mental health issues.

As I said I just think it's inappropriate for people to continually assume Phil has mental health issues and then discuss is repeatedly as if it's fact. When we don't actually know if he does.

Last edited:

stevoc

Who said mental health isn't important and in what context?

Dve

Has Jones ever talked about having mental health issues? Has this been mentioned at all? Do we know that he has any mental health problem?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It is possible. But he won’t last more than 2-3 games - a new injury will happen, sadly :(
One thing that never made sense to me about Jones when he was active is how utterly reckless he would be with his body each and every time. You would think someone so injury prone would modify his game.

I'm hoping he comes back a more considered player - the few times he played that way, he was at his best, like staying touch-tight to Ronaldo when he was pretty much at his peak. He barely put a foot wrong and wasn't playing like a wrecking ball.

Don't know what his body is even capable of anymore, but if able, a simple sweeping role in midfield would be massively beneficial to us and hopefully carry us into the winter window and allow McFred the rest and rotation they'll need.

Dve

Would you like to be him? I would from financial perspective but probably only that

I'm sure he's gotten a huge amount of shit the last few years that'd make most players blush
Yes, he´s had to take a lot. So lets not attribute him with mental health issues as well, solely based on assumptions.

Plant0x84

Has Jones ever talked about having mental health issues? Has this been mentioned at all? Do we know that he has any mental health problem?
Jones doesn’t generally do interviews, tends to keep his head down. Olé said as much in his presser when he talked about Rio’s remarks. Even if he did media would he really talk about it? He’d probably have the piss ripped out of him about it if he did.

Dve

Jones doesn’t generally do interviews, tends to keep his head down. Olé said as much in his presser when he talked about Rio’s remarks. Even if he did media would he really talk about it? He’d probably have the piss ripped out of him about it if he did.
Talk about what?

Red00012

He’ll get a good reception if he gets 20 mins in the league cup whatever people’s opinion of him are.

Counterfactual

One thing that never made sense to me about Jones when he was active is how utterly reckless he would be with his body each and every time. You would think someone so injury prone would modify his game.

I'm hoping he comes back a more considered player - the few times he played that way, he was at his best, like staying touch-tight to Ronaldo when he was pretty much at his peak. He barely put a foot wrong and wasn't playing like a wrecking ball.

Don't know what his body is even capable of anymore, but if able, a simple sweeping role in midfield would be massively beneficial to us and hopefully carry us into the winter window and allow McFred the rest and rotation they'll need.
I agree. I think it has to do with how much we respect the "blood and thunder" aspect of defending. Phil was a classic example of pushing the limits and seems to have paid the price. Bailly was similar.

Alemar

Phil was a classic example of pushing the limits and seems to have paid the price. Bailly was similar.
Not always the best quality for a CB - he needs to be composed, with excellent positioning and awareness. CB is not about rushing himself all over the place at 110% ability of your body - it’s about understanding what will happen in the next moment and where you need to be.

lex talionis

I do wish Jones had dialed down his recklessness. There’s bravery and there’s idiocy. He chose the latter.

But I also do take an issue with the lack of any clarity as to what exactly the nature of his injury is and how he did it. Did he tear an ACL? What?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

If anyone is interested in reading the full article. It's actually good read.

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Great attitude but I do wish someone at United would tell him to go somewhere else. There's no room for sentimentality.
He had the same injury which kept Ole out for 3 years. I think his injury issues have not been communicated properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.