Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

Why are people surprised to read he has had serious injury problems when he hasnt been near the squad for so long?

Also shouldnt be surprising he has stayed to pick up a big contract when with ll the injuries he will have been unlikely to make a career elsewhere, I think most people would do the same thing.

To be honest, though I can understand it, personally dont think he has done himself any favours with his comments. But he can have sympathy and empathy for his problems regardless of the money he is making. Anger shouldnt really be aimed at Jones even though for me he was dissapointing way before all the injury problems considering the player he looked like he could be when we signed him.

For me, the anger should be aimed at the club and whoever decided to give him the new contract on £100k a week when regardless of his injuries, there were no signs of him being worthy of it and playing regularly in the starting eleven. That is the travesty for me

Big Andy

Bloke
A fully fit Phil Jones is arguably a better defender than Lindelof and Bailly. He’s not a fanny, can win headers and puts his body on the line to stop attackers.

Irwin99

A fully fit Phil Jones is arguably a better defender than Lindelof and Bailly. He’s not a fanny, can win headers and puts his body on the line to stop attackers.
No way in my opinion. Lindelof is twice the defender Jones is but people just let Jones injury record obscure the fact that he's rarely been that good during his time here (apart from his first two seasons).

Said it a million times but it's crazy looking back at old matches on Youtube and seeing the amount of Phil Jones mistakes in matches you might have forgotten. Like what the feck is he doing for Swansea's goal in Fergie's last home game (tried posting the Youtube link but it wouldnt work for some reason).

I'm not being mean and making fun of him because I think that kind of sucks but I really am not convinced that he was ever going to be an elite defender had it not been for the injuries. Just too many errors when he has been fit. Far far too many.

United in sin

And look where it's got him :lol:

The best centerbacks don't have to play this way

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Woefully uninformed post.
  1. Eriksen will never play for Inter again, it's illegal for him to play in Serie A
  2. Jones' injuries may very well have been career ending
  3. Player's have continued their career after a cardiac arrest, Blind did it twice
  4. Every club would have given Jones a contract in 2019, just not the one we gave him
  5. His contract can't be willy nilly terminated
  6. You clearly don't know what a contract is
You went on a massive rant that an injury prone player shouldn't be given such a deal. Who do you see disagreeing with that?

We can't cut his salary even if we wanted. He was on the bench in mid February 2020 and he's already played for the club unofficially (which a court would still consider "on the job").

It's been discussed in detail before with better sources, use the search function if you're interest. A quick google will give you:

Do Footballers Get Paid the Same When Injured?
Usually, yes. It would have to be an extremely long-term injury to prevent them being paid their full salary while sidelined.

All professional footballers in England are entitled to 18 months’ pay while injured before there is a chance that their salary will be cut, or even halved. If the injury or illness is picked up while not on ‘club duty’, the club may only pay their basic salary for up to a year.
The only one going on a tangent is you, bleating about what a contract is, how footballers are entitled to pay for 18 months when injured or telling others to use search function when you lack the temerity to even realise the issue in discussion here. Might be time to put your own advise to use, and be informative of the context.

Jones got an absurdly long contract when a) He had a poor injury record and b) He’d been a liability in number of matches he’d played. Even ignoring the injury problems, there are issues with rewarding mediocrity. Something we continue to do till date. Which let me point out in bold for you was the primary issue in the original post. We have to be more ruthless in way we are run and not squander money on players out of sentimentality.

Unilateral repudiation of a contract or other technical bollocks was never part of the discussion but good on you for getting it out of your system. Happy to discuss this further if you can stop with your condescending attitude. If not, cheers.

CG1010

Ignoring the debate about the past, what does the future hold for Phil Jones? At 29 and when we have atleast 3 (Maguire, Varane and Lindelof) CBs ahead of him, I really don't see any future at Man United in footballing terms. His levels of fitness mean he will have to play quite a few games to be fully prepared for games and we don't have the luxury of providing him that in our first real title challenge after many years. Further his history (even before the 2019 injury) suggests he is injury prone so not very reliable backup CB as there is a great chance he would be also injured when our other CBs are injured.

If he wants to play more football now, I think he should use this season to play whatever games he can at United and prove he is still a good CB (which is far from obvious right now). And then move to another team. But if may choose to sit around and get his salary too if he wants.

EtH

Ignoring the debate about the past, what does the future hold for Phil Jones?
Lifting the PL and WC trophies as both team’s defensive lynchpin, captain and talismanic corner-taking assist leader. England’s Lion and the best we’ve ever had. Sir Alex is never wrong.

tenpoless

If he can turn back into the "me mark Ronaldo" mode, I'd trust the DMF position to him. That Phil Jones can't be worse than current Fred.

CG1010

Lifting the PL and WC trophies as both team’s defensive lynchpin, captain and talismanic corner-taking assist leader. England’s Lion and the best we’ve ever had. Sir Alex is never wrong.
Would be the greatest ever sporting turnaround story I am sure!

CG1010

If he can turn back into the "me mark Ronaldo" mode, I'd trust the DMF position to him. That Phil Jones can't be worse than current Fred.
Even if he could, I don't see it. At that age also it was rare for Phil Jones to play in MF. He didn't have the passing and positioning ability in general but with his great pace and acceleration helped mark out dangerous players like Ronaldo. Now I don't see him having that great burst of acceleration and pace.

FiftChoice

Great attitude but I do wish someone at United would tell him to go somewhere else. There's no room for sentimentality.
i’d argue that in a team sport like football, there absolutely must be room for a bit of sentimentaliy, compassion, empthy. If these werent values at United it wouldnt be the Club it is. Was Fergie not ruthless? Yes he was. But he also know when and how to show compassion, to reward loyalty and service to the Club. That’s important shit. I mean, he went in 100% on United being a family, with all that entails. Enough with the «no room for feelings in football (now go spend a fortune on the next shiny toy and win the fecking treble or you’re the worst manager ever!)”.

Reactions: Penna

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The only one going on a tangent is you, bleating about what a contract is, how footballers are entitled to pay for 18 months when injured or telling others to use search function when you lack the temerity to even realise the issue in discussion here. Might be time to put your own advise to use, and be informative of the context.

Jones got an absurdly long contract when a) He had a poor injury record and b) He’d been a liability in number of matches he’d played. Even ignoring the injury problems, there are issues with rewarding mediocrity. Something we continue to do till date. Which let me point out in bold for you was the primary issue in the original post. We have to be more ruthless in way we are run and not squander money on players out of sentimentality.

Unilateral repudiation of a contract or other technical bollocks was never part of the discussion but good on you for getting it out of your system. Happy to discuss this further if you can stop with your condescending attitude. If not, cheers.
Mate, you can't spew a bunch of nonsense, then say 1 thing in your essay that everyone and their mum agrees with and then claim that was your "primary issue" when all the other nonsense in your rants gets rebutted.

You implied injured players have their contracts terminated among a bunch of other shit I took issue with. If your "primary point" is based on a bunch of nonsense, maybe question it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surprised it took him so long to reach the Cugat stage of knee injuries. Hopefully the result is comfortable and he can get a run out.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
i’d argue that in a team sport like football, there absolutely must be room for a bit of sentimentaliy, compassion, empthy. If these werent values at United it wouldnt be the Club it is. Was Fergie not ruthless? Yes he was. But he also know when and how to show compassion, to reward loyalty and service to the Club. That’s important shit. I mean, he went in 100% on United being a family, with all that entails. Enough with the «no room for feelings in football (now go spend a fortune on the next shiny toy and win the fecking treble or you’re the worst manager ever!)”.
Nice straw man

Revan

Assumptionman
Nope. Not even if Lindelof is drunk.

There is as much difference from Jones to Lindelof, as from Lindelof to Varane. And well, Varane is twice the player Lindelof is.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I wouldn't be surprised if Jones got a new contract as he will prove the naysayers wrong. Must be great for him to finally get his knee properly fixed after all these problem ridden years. Jones being 100% fit is a better option than Lindelöf, he can for sure provide great cover for Maguire/Varane when needed.

We just didn't know the extent of his long-term injuries, we always knew he had potential as SAF was one of his biggest fans, but he still have a few years left to end his career on a high, just like RVP did with us after injury-ridden seasons.
Jones now being 100% fit is a better option than Lindelof, and that receives a like? Come on.

I am not Lindelof's biggest fans but, come on.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I think the Phil will get a run out from the bench this evening and i hope the fans give him an ovation and full support. I know people joke about an moan about the wages ( i dont give a rats about this, BTW, Glazer money) but he seems to have been though a rough time and now is the time to support the lad, he is one of the few EPL winners still in the squad and may have a part to play if he can get back to fitness (CDM :nervous:).

Djemba-Djemba

Jones now being 100% fit is a better option than Lindelof, and that receives a like? Come on.

I am not Lindelof's biggest fans but, come on.
It's a ridiculous opinion.

Jones hasn't been 100% fit since about 2013 anyway so it's a pointless comparison.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Mate, you can't spew a bunch of nonsense, then say 1 thing in your essay that everyone and their mum agrees with and then claim that was your "primary issue" when all the other nonsense in your rants gets rebutted.

You implied injured players have their contracts terminated among a bunch of other shit I took issue with. If your "primary point" is based on a bunch of nonsense, maybe question it.
You've been weirdly aggressively and started your first post quoting me by calling me a "fool". Then went on to patronize me how to use a search function or how a contract works. I have never ever written anything about Phil Jones' contract being repudiated early due to injury issues, nor said anything about him being released. You for some reason have went on a tangent and stuck on that. It was a mistake to give such an injury prone mediocre player a 5 year contract, and we should be more prudent in how we are run. It's that simple. You bringing a strawman in Eriksen and other contractual non-sense has distracted from what was originally written. Go and look my first post and what you quoted in response. I never implied injured players have their contracts terminated or any other other non-sense in my original post, so not sure what you gain by lying. You wanted to throw a bunch of insults and call others uninformed because they disagreed with you.

I have been extremely measured in my post whereas you seem to have a chip on your shoulder and have no decency on how to conduct yourself on a forum without name-calling. Off you go to ignore list.

Crustanoid

A new activity. How better to spend Phil Jones’s wages than they are being spent now

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if Jones got a new contract as he will prove the naysayers wrong. Must be great for him to finally get his knee properly fixed after all these problem ridden years. Jones being 100% fit is a better option than Lindelöf, he can for sure provide great cover for Maguire/Varane when needed.

We just didn't know the extent of his long-term injuries, we always knew he had potential as SAF was one of his biggest fans, but he still have a few years left to end his career on a high, just like RVP did with us after injury-ridden seasons.
If we give Phil Jones another new contract after giving him 4 years in 2019 the club ought to be liquidised.

Bwuk

I had been hoping he’d come on but obviously the game went the way it did.

I struggle to see why we need 5 first team CBs now we are only in 3 comps.

Droid_Repairs

Are people joking when they talk about playing him in midfield?

Please tell me you're joking
To be fair, he's played there before and was acceptable.

As others have said, would he be worse than Fred?

Lest we forget, there was a time when he was a very highly rated player. Fergie overhyped him with the GOAT prediction, and people got a bit carried away the night he looked after Ronaldo, but I've always believed there's a great player in there.

How good he is now is anybody's guess though.

He's absolutely miles off both of them let alone Lindelof. And Fred would run rings around him in midfield. A fecking Cocker Spaniel could man mark Ronaldo but it doesn't mean they'd make a great midfielder.

Let's face it those Fergie comments were never based on his ability, it was Ferguson playing his usual mind tricks to motivate him.

tomaldinho1

You've been weirdly aggressively and started your first post quoting me by calling me a "fool". Then went on to patronize me how to use a search function or how a contract works. I have never ever written anything about Phil Jones' contract being repudiated early due to injury issues, nor said anything about him being released. You for some reason have went on a tangent and stuck on that. It was a mistake to give such an injury prone mediocre player a 5 year contract, and we should be more prudent in how we are run. It's that simple. You bringing a strawman in Eriksen and other contractual non-sense has distracted from what was originally written. Go and look my first post and what you quoted in response. I never implied injured players have their contracts terminated or any other other non-sense in my original post, so not sure what you gain by lying. You wanted to throw a bunch of insults and call others uninformed because they disagreed with you.

I have been extremely measured in my post whereas you seem to have a chip on your shoulder and have no decency on how to conduct yourself on a forum without name-calling. Off you go to ignore list.
That poster is just uber aggressive and almost always wrong with their sweeping statements as well which makes it impossible to have a normal conversation with them. Ignore was a good choice.

InfiniteBoredom

I had been hoping he’d come on but obviously the game went the way it did.

I struggle to see why we need 5 first team CBs now we are only in 3 comps.
That’s not a lot given that 2 of them are injury prone.

I was for letting Bailly go in the summer, but keeping him is most likely cheaper for us compared to signing a backup CB, given Jones’s fitness record.

Djemba-Djemba

To be fair, he's played there before and was acceptable.

As others have said, would he be worse than Fred?

Lest we forget, there was a time when he was a very highly rated player. Fergie overhyped him with the GOAT prediction, and people got a bit carried away the night he looked after Ronaldo, but I've always believed there's a great player in there.

How good he is now is anybody's guess though.
8 years ago.

wolvored

Why are people surprised to read he has had serious injury problems when he hasnt been near the squad for so long?

Also shouldnt be surprising he has stayed to pick up a big contract when with ll the injuries he will have been unlikely to make a career elsewhere, I think most people would do the same thing.

To be honest, though I can understand it, personally dont think he has done himself any favours with his comments. But he can have sympathy and empathy for his problems regardless of the money he is making. Anger shouldnt really be aimed at Jones even though for me he was dissapointing way before all the injury problems considering the player he looked like he could be when we signed him.

For me, the anger should be aimed at the club and whoever decided to give him the new contract on £100k a week when regardless of his injuries, there were no signs of him being worthy of it and playing regularly in the starting eleven. That is the travesty for me
Exactly. No one can blame Jones for signing it. Its the idiot who thought it up and offered it him, that should have been sacked.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That poster is just uber aggressive and almost always wrong with their sweeping statements as well which makes it impossible to have a normal conversation with them. Ignore was a good choice.
Wow, you're the second person I upset by pointing out muscle mass doesn't make you slower.

I just hope Phil doesn't bulk up too much ;)

LARulz

Did he play in the behind doors match? Anyone know how he did?

steve.crowford

I know a lot of people might give him shit for it because it's Phil Jones, but honestly the part where he rapped about the Queen was actually great. At least from a technical perspective, his rhyme scheme and interior swallowed vowel rhyming is something only high-calibre artists are capable of. Really impressive stuff (even if it was a bit uncomfortable to hear Phil go a bit vulgar with the "Cock-keen Queen with the hock-key team"). Interested to hear a full track from him.

United in sin

I know a lot of people might give him shit for it because it's Phil Jones, but honestly the part where he rapped about the Queen was actually great. At least from a technical perspective, his rhyme scheme and interior swallowed vowel rhyming is something only high-calibre artists are capable of. Really impressive stuff (even if it was a bit uncomfortable to hear Phil go a bit vulgar with the "Cock-keen Queen with the hock-key team"). Interested to hear a full track from him.
Nice copy and paste job, unless you're the originator of the exact post I saw somewhere else!

Status
Not open for further replies.