Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftySoAndSo

I think everyone can agree he shouldn't still be at the club but it's not his fault the club gave him a new deal. But with the awful time he's had with injuries i hope he can put in a good performance tonight and restore some confidence and maybe put himself on the shop window for a good move.

lex talionis

I’m really happy to see Jones get the start. Has the club ever publicly disclosed exactly what sort of knee injury he suffered. Anything that takes you out for two years is obviously serious, but I don’t recall the club ever stating what it was. ACL, Gangrene…what?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
God I love Phil Jones. Just not for the right reasons. He loves the club and will gladly take one in the face to stop a goal. But....and it's a big but. We all know how calamitous he can be. He is also capable of putting in a blinder. Phil Jones was always the type that would make stupid mistakes but then just as you give up on him, he starts playing really good. Then just as you start having faith in him, he gets injured. Let's hope he puts in a blinder. My bet is that everyone's expectations are so low that all he has to do to get a 7/10 rating is put in a 5/10 performance. Here's to hoping for an 8/10...

Trequarista10

I hate this football club sometimes, the fact that this guy is even here to still start and some people are happy that he's still here? Absolutely blows my mind how far this club has fallen, all we've got are multiple passengers stealing a wage from us that could be used on players that will actually play and help us.

Hopefully has a great game but honestly can just see him getting injured again unfortunately
feck off

SAFMUTD

I dont know why but I sense he'll have a big performance, can only imagine how fired up he'll be returning to Old Trafford. Crowd will definitely inspire him 100%.

L1nk

Having a work related injury doesn't make you a "passenger stealing a wage".

That's why footballers sign long term contracts. For job security.

If you hate this club piss off to one you do like.

Bullocks. Chelsea had Van Ginkel on the books for years when he had 3 knee surgeries. You know why? Because he was given a contract when he was still fit. Injuries happen. Google "contract".
Someone's bitter and angry for some reason, you have some personal interest in this or something? No need to tell me to "piss off." We've been in massive decline for god knows how many years and people like you are not only content to see it happen, but are happy to see it happen apparently? Jones, Mata etc were given contracts when they shouldn't have been, they've been on the books for far too long and should have been replaced ages ago, if you cannot see this then I don't know what you are looking at, but clearly you think keeping these players around is in the best interest of the club, rather than in the best interest of the players.

L1nk

Go to bed.
Why? Because I want to see players who shouldn't be here, not be given new contracts when they shouldn't have been? Like Jones? Like Mata? I have to go to bed because this is my opinion? Like I don't understand people's mentality at all, peoples sentimentality has just jumped up a million percent since Fergie left it's crazy. They both did great things for the club, at one point, and they should be respected for that of course, but it doesn't mean that they should be given free reign to stay at the club stealing a wage years after they should have gone, why is that a wrong opinion? I'm not saying its necessarily their fault, although if they had any ambition they would have tried to leave, it's the clubs handing out new contracts like candy it's insane

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Someone's bitter and angry for some reason, you have some personal interest in this or something? No need to tell me to "piss off." We've been in massive decline for god knows how many years and people like you are not only content to see it happen, but are happy to see it happen apparently? Jones, Mata etc were given contracts when they shouldn't have been, they've been on the books for far too long and should have been replaced ages ago, if you cannot see this then I don't know what you are looking at, but clearly you think keeping these players around is in the best interest of the club, rather than in the best interest of the players.
Mate, don't change the subject. Never did I say I was happy with how the club is run and I share the criticism you have of the club's decisions.

Doesn't it make me "hate the club"? Hell no.

L1nk

Again, why? Argue my point instead of pointless personal attacks because you clearly have nothing interesting to say, i've obviously hit a nerve which means deep down you obviously think i'm right, you are just blinkered by sentimentality and don't want to admit it

city-puma

I dont know why but I sense he'll have a big performance, can only imagine how fired up he'll be returning to Old Trafford. Crowd will definitely inspire him 100%.
I have the same feeling. Hope him take it easy a little bit and find the time back wasted for years. Show your true color and calmness, Phil!

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Phil Jones is going to come back as a DM into the squad and win us the champions league. You heard it here first.
The return is here. Now just needs pushed into DM and then to win us the CL

L1nk

Mate, don't change the subject. Never did I say I was happy with how the club is run and I share the criticism you have of the club's decisions.

Doesn't it make me "hate the club"? Hell no.
I didn't "change the subject" what I said was exactly on subject. The way I phrased it was perhaps incorrect, I don't "hate" Manchester United, I of course love Manchester United, when I say the club, I mean all the people who run it who make the stupid decisions like handing out stupid contracts obviously

lex talionis

Jones wasn’t awarded the new contract while he was out for a lengthy spell with a serious injury, was he?

Shark

@NotShark
Obviously I hope he kills it out there but is there literally nobody else from the reserves we could of given a chance. We know what we get with Jones having endured him through some of the clubs darkest periods and games. What's going to change realistically?

Trequarista10

Again, why? Argue my point instead of pointless personal attacks because you clearly have nothing interesting to say, i've obviously hit a nerve which means deep down you obviously think i'm right, you are just blinkered by sentimentality and don't want to admit it
You said you hate the club, so my friendly advice is that you feck off.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yup. So he should launch himself into a groin shredding tackle even earlier and with even more enthusiasm than usual. I’m going with 15 minutes before he ruptures the living shit out of his hip adductors, with 8 minuted agonised hobbling before he accepts the inevitable. Season over.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
My biggest worry is the lack of cover in the bench. Who goes cb if we get an injury? Matic/Mctominay/shaw??

Can Jones really expect to last 90 mins, nevermind Varane with his injury issues too

Giggsyking

I dont know how he will perform today. But I always liked Jones as a player.

Devil’s Trident

Always resented him these last years but can’t lie absolutely buzzing for him right now. You can’t not feel good about the guy when u know how much abuse he got over the years. Go on son i am with you. Anyone who doesn’t support him right now can go feck yourself.

saivet

I actually feel nervous for him tonight. Hope he can have a good game tonight

Spark

Kind of buzzing that he's starting. Have done my fair bit of fume at the fact that he's still on our books, however our defenders have been fecking shit this year - maybe he's the one to come in and have a blinding renaissance?? Well up for that being the case, Wolves is a good team to find out against.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don't think Sir Alex, Ole and some members of the board would like that way of dealing anyway, but at some point we need to promote new players to the squad and it's still cluttered with so many with unclear future.

There has to be clarity in the way United wants to refresh things for the better.
Forget the board, we’d be taken to the cleaners legally. Sacked for what exactly?

golden_blunder

Staff
I hate this football club sometimes, the fact that this guy is even here to still start and some people are happy that he's still here? Absolutely blows my mind how far this club has fallen, all we've got are multiple passengers stealing a wage from us that could be used on players that will actually play and help us.

Hopefully has a great game but honestly can just see him getting injured again unfortunately
I really wish I’d be let off the leash to kick people out who use and continue to use that bloody phrase “stealing a wage”. It’s completely horseshit

golden_blunder

Staff
People who want to sack a player who brings nothing are idiots? We might as well bring back Nani, Rafael, Welbeck, Smalling, to help them later in their careers with their injury problems, they were far better players than him anyway.
No they are idiots because you can’t legally sack a player for being injured

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Jones wasn’t awarded the new contract while he was out for a lengthy spell with a serious injury, was he?
He was actively starting games and was in the England squad.

The extension made sense, arguably he should have had a shorter one given how injury prone he is. But being injury prone doesn't suddenly make it likely you'll have a career threatening injury.

Even if you didn't really rate him, you need 4 CBs at a minimum.

Mengi is in Birmingham for a medical and finalizing a loan move.
Thanks for the info

Chairman Steve

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t his nickname ‘Jonah’?

Man was given a nickname which is a name people give someone believed to bring bad luck and jinx :lol:

SAFMUTD

Yup. So he should launch himself into a groin shredding tackle even earlier and with even more enthusiasm than usual. I’m going with 15 minutes before he ruptures the living shit out of his hip adductors, with 8 minuted agonised hobbling before he accepts the inevitable. Season over.
Thats the way to go, optimism I like it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Forget the board, we’d be taken to the cleaners legally. Sacked for what exactly?
Jones & United would have to come to agreement about parting ways and the way things stand United and Jones never were and never are against each other in any legal way. In that regard you're absolutely spot on. Contract is there to guarantee things in letter of the law.

It was signed for player to stay for more years and nothing can be done, except the part on the pitch. Jones returning to playing regularly professional football could be massive step forward, even if it's wishful thinking for now, but I do think Rangnick have experience to deal with situation like this with class.

arnie_ni

Hope it goes alright. He'll be slaughtered if he makes a mistake or gets injured.

I know we poke jokes but it can't be easy not playing the game you love for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.