Phil Jones image 4

Phil Jones England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
The trash newspapers are reporting hes been booted out of the first team dressing room to make space for the new signings, and he's now in with the U23s down the corridor. Tuanzebe, Williams and Mengi have gone with him. He's got no shame at all has he.
If true, then it is absolutely justified. He does not need to accept leaving United, but also United does not have any reason to keep him on the first team. He can get the money owned to him, United gets space for a player there.

Honestly, we should have just terminated his contract. Pay what is owed to him, but I do not see why he should still be at the club. He won’t get any game time, he has nothing to offer to United.

foolsgold

I’m interested to see what happens next year when he does go. He is entitled to pick up the wages that Woodward stupidly handed him but the double edged sword is he’s essentially committed career suicide.
Most people would commit career suicide for 75k a week to set up their families for life. its not like he's failed in the game, won the league, won the FA cup, 27 caps for England, played for Manchester United 229 times.

Walks away at 30 a multi millionaire with everything in front of him I doubt there's many regrets.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's clearly not in the manager's plans and he has previously rejected a transfer away. No issue with him collecting his wage and sitting on his arse, it was Woodward's mistake to give him a contract. But he cannot feel hard done by if he has no place in the dressing room, it is a two way street.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
A little strange he didn't go on loan, wouldn't be rather play? He'd get his wages.

Adamsk7

A little strange he didn't go on loan, wouldn't be rather play? He'd get his wages.
No is the answer. I doubt he’s been physically injured some of the time he’s been out either. I think Ole or maybe Jose (Christ he’s been unavailable for sooooo long) eluded to him having some mental struggles. I honestly think he doesn’t want to play and he still wants to collect his money. TBH I don’t blame him - Woody and Ole have him a new contract when he’d hardly played. Diabolical decision.

spiriticon

I can't wait till his contract runs out. I don't dislike him, but it sets such a bad example for other members of the team and particularly the younger players.

You can't be picking up a big wage and get nowhere near the first team.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Won't be surprised if he retires after his contract is up.
People forget the damage being constantly injured does to a professional. Constantly training alone etc.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
... and I just thought if he'd be better suit for ETH than Maguire. And maybe if fit, he can partner with Lindelöf.

Robin Your Persie

Doesn’t seem like he’s got any ambition to go out on loan or play football, he’s happy enough just sitting on his fat pay cheque.

Sylar

The second the news broke about his new contract the football world knew it was a huge mistake except Ed Woodward and Matt Judge.

I was fuming cause i was worried that it would happen.
And it happened when we had an interim manager, which is even stranger. And when nobody wanted him. It was truly bizarre.

diarm

I'd imagine he'll be in a few matchday squads for Europa League and League Cup games. Did alright in a couple of appearances last season - I'm happy enough for him to see out his contract.

It wasn't his fault they gave it to him and he's always given his all on the (admittedly few in recent years) occasions he does get a game.

Sylar

It is bizarre and reeks incompetance mate.
It was meant 'somehow' as a way to make money? As if signing him to a new contract, would make him a big asset, that somebody would pay a good amount for and take off our hands, which would give us a profit?
Its wasted wages.

Its like us not selling Lingard last year (because we wanted more?) and instead keeping him, paying him wages and hardly using him. We end up losing out. And these charlatans have been in charge of United, making decisions like this.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Giving him a new contract was seriously one of the stupidest things Woodward/OGS ever did.

That sums up the running of the club under Ed really.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
No is the answer. I doubt he’s been physically injured some of the time he’s been out either. I think Ole or maybe Jose (Christ he’s been unavailable for sooooo long) eluded to him having some mental struggles. I honestly think he doesn’t want to play and he still wants to collect his money. TBH I don’t blame him - Woody and Ole have him a new contract when he’d hardly played. Diabolical decision.
Ole giving him that last extension might be the worst decision in the history of football contacts.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Doesn’t seem like he’s got any ambition to go out on loan or play football, he’s happy enough just sitting on his fat pay cheque.
He used to seem like a passionate player. He could go abroad, avoid the controversy and heckling he might get. Unless he’s as bad at languages as I am.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'd imagine he'll be in a few matchday squads for Europa League and League Cup games. Did alright in a couple of appearances last season - I'm happy enough for him to see out his contract.

It wasn't his fault they gave it to him and he's always given his all on the (admittedly few in recent years) occasions he does get a game.
I think he will struggle to even do that. He may well not be registered for Europe (although I haven't counted whether he could be included for "free"). Ten Hag will want to win trophies and has his four centre backs.

AlexUTD

It was meant 'somehow' as a way to make money? As if signing him to a new contract, would make him a big asset, that somebody would pay a good amount for and take off our hands, which would give us a profit?
Its wasted wages.

Its like us not selling Lingard last year (because we wanted more?) and instead keeping him, paying him wages and hardly using him. We end up losing out. And these charlatans have been in charge of United, making decisions like this.
I think Ed`s thinking was "protect his value" :wenger: :wenger: :wenger:

Edwards6

For everyone having a go at Phil Jones for being injured the last few years I recommend watching the 'under the cosh' podcast episode with Malcolm Christie. Horrible how injuries can ruin someone's career and what they have to go through mentally

Jericho

Just saw that his pace is rated at 34 out of 100 in the new Fifa, making him one of the slowest players in the game. For perspective Harry Maguire is rated at 53 which is itself insanely slow. Seems a bit weird to me, I don't remember pace ever being a weak point for Jones. Or has it just been so long since I've really seen him play that I'm not remembering correctly?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Just saw that his pace is rated at 34 out of 100 in the new Fifa, making him one of the slowest players in the game. For perspective Harry Maguire is rated at 53 which is itself insanely slow. Seems a bit weird to me, I don't remember pace ever being a weak point for Jones. Or has it just been so long since I've really seen him play that I'm not remembering correctly?
I guess they've assumed, if you don't play football, you're not fit to play football.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He had decent pace. Wouldn't say he was fast, but he wasn't slow either. However if I remember correctly (it feels so long ago now) the last time he did get a few games it looked like all the injuries might have taken their toll and he was looking slow.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He was always slow in FIFA games

2012 - Acceleration 65 Speed 68
2013 - Acceleration 69 Speed 74
2014 - Acceleration 69 Speed 76
2015 - Acceleration 63 Speed 69
2016 - Acceleration 65 Speed 68

Brophs

The One and Only
Phil Jones could have both of his legs blown off worse than Lieutenant Dan and he’d still be quicker than Maguire.

arthurka

If FIFA had any realisms about it Phil Jones wouldn't be available in the game.

Devil81

Is he dead?
No, he's just been frozen out. He's not the only one either, it's like Tuanzebe, Williams and Wan Bassaka don't exist either.

I suspect all four are going to be difficult to get off the box given their contracts, both Williams and Axel are on decent contracts for young players that won't be matched elsewhere. Phil is running down his contract clearly and Aaron Wan Bassaka isn't moving as the club will no doubt not want to lose him for such a huge loss.

I suspect Wan Bassaka will move on for around the 10 million mark eventually.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
No, he's just been frozen out. He's not the only one either, it's like Tuanzebe, Williams and Wan Bassaka don't exist either.

I suspect all four are going to be difficult to get off the box given their contracts, both Williams and Axel are on decent contracts for young players that won't be matched elsewhere. Phil is running down his contract clearly and Aaron Wan Bassaka isn't moving as the club will no doubt not want to lose him for such a huge loss.

I suspect Wan Bassaka will move on for around the 10 million mark eventually.
I think Williams and Tuanzebe were both just featured alongside the boss and Sancho in a promotional video for Diwali so it doesn't seem like they are completely off the radar.

I know Williams is back in first team training, I think the timeline for Axel is Christmas/after the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.