Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I wouldn't blame Jones
The fault lies higher than him
There are still people defending his contract(because apparently he wasn't injured when he signed that contract), and there are still many saying they would leave him as squad player for some reason.

Droid_Repairs

He literally can’t play anymore.. seems to be pretty obvious which is why he won’t take up a contract elsewhere. We’ve got our own Micah Richards. Atleast Richards had some favours in football.. I’m sure Blackburn could over him a deal.
Played a couple of times at the end of last season and was excellent.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Played a couple of times at the end of last season and was excellent.
:lol: :lol:. Yeah, no he wasn't.

Edit: ffs, he played 45 minutes vs Liverpool and had 10 minutes cameos in other two games. How the feck he was excellent? This is how myths start regarding players...

Scottynaldinho

I remember a good 4 years ago he spoke about he left the injuries behind by switching to yoga and declaring Giggs as an inspiration for it. Don't know what happened afterwards.

Gandalf

The simple truth is that nobody is going to take him off our hands even on a free. If he was available the best he could hope for is a pay as you play deal but it is doubtful he could pass any sort of medical. We can pay off his contract but that won't save us anything and so if he can coax a few more games out of his knees this season, maybe a couple of away games in the Europa group stages, then that is better than paying him off for no return. He has always been talked of as a popular figure in the locker room too and so pushing him out could impact the atmosphere there.

I am at the point where I am confident we won't be extending his contract next summer and as he has no sale value at all I am not going to waste any energy getting worked up about the fact that he is still at the club. He will be gone in less than 12 months and probably straight into retirement so console yourselves with that.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I’ve seen that Umtiti in the last 6-7 months has taken a pay cut at Barca, and joined Lecce on loan in a bid to rebuild his career. It’s admirable.

Jones, if transfer noise is to be believed, turned down similar types of moves in the January transfer window. I’m not sure there’s been any genuine interest in him this summer.

But overall it’s a shame he’s willing to stay here as most likely 5th or 6th choice rather than seek regular playing time elsewhere.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I remember a good 4 years ago he spoke about he left the injuries behind by switching to yoga and declaring Giggs as an inspiration for it. Don't know what happened afterwards.
Like Giggs he switched to naked hot yoga and the slippery slope afters...

ti vu

I’ve seen that Umtiti in the last 6-7 months has taken a pay cut at Barca, and joined Lecce on loan in a bid to rebuild his career. It’s admirable.

Jones, if transfer noise is to be believed, turned down similar types of moves in the January transfer window. I’m not sure there’s been any genuine interest in him this summer.

But overall it’s a shame he’s willing to stay here as most likely 5th or 6th choice rather than seek regular playing time elsewhere.
I don't think it's comparable when it comes to Barcelona. Umtiti for some reason got renewed until 2026 by Barcelona. Something shady here.

Jones refused to go on loan to Bordeaux is reasonable enough IMO. No point in uprooting the family for six months when his destination club was in uphill battle to survive in Ligue 1 (They eventually got relegated).

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I don't think it's comparable when it comes to Barcelona. Umtiti for some reason got renewed until 2026 by Barcelona. Something shady here.

Jones refused to go on loan to Bordeaux is reasonable enough IMO. No point in uprooting the family for six months when his destination club was in uphill battle to survive in Ligue 1 (They eventually got relegated).
I think it shows a lack of ambition and it doesn’t come off looking well (ie the perception of it).

Footballers have very short shelf lives…I guess if it was down to me and my career was panning out like his (ie lots of injuries and not much playing time due to 4/5 CBs ahead of me), I’d take an opportunity to play consistently over not.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

Our very own Bogarde.

Djemba-Djemba

But where's his professional pride?

Surely he should just want to play football? He's absolutely finished here and has been for years. How can he be content playing about 3 or 4 games a season?

Abraxas

It's absolutely bizarre this man is still at the club. I don't find any resentment towards him in particular, it's just a ridiculous state of affairs that our decision making has led to this.

Djemba-Djemba

It's absolutely bizarre this man is still at the club. I don't find any resentment towards him in particular, it's just a ridiculous state of affairs that our decision making has led to this.
Giving him a new 5 year contract in 2018 was the absolute stupidest decision we've made in the post Fergie banter years.

Someone as horrendously injury prone as Phil Jones was only going to get worse and more injured the older he got, it was a staggeringly stupid thing to do. I think he'll stay here this season, make 1 or 2 late sub appearances then retire in the summer when his contract runs out.

BorisManUtd

Giving him a new 5 year contract in 2018 was the absolute stupidest decision we've made in the post Fergie banter years.

Someone as horrendously injury prone as Phil Jones was only going to get worse and more injured the older he got, it was a staggeringly stupid thing to do. I think he'll stay here this season, make 1 or 2 late sub appearances then retire in the summer when his contract runs out.
It was actually a 4 year contract in February 2019, but was odd to most of the fans back then anyways if I remember correctly.

Jones will play 1-2 games in Europa league group stages, 2-3 games in both of domestic cups (if we get some lower league rivals) and that'll probably be it with his United and possibly even professional career.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's just riding out a fat contract, who can blame him?

Probably never gonna play a serious game of football again, but happy to be picking up about £75k a week to do literally nothing.

It must be soul destroying to turn up every day to see players who've won the CL 3,4,5 times knowing that you're just riding out a contract, but would any of us be proud enough to walk away from £75k a week for nothing?

stevoc

To be fair he didn't have to, lots of people have to work away from home at times. It was only for 5 months and I'm sure he could have flown home regularly or brought the wife and kids out for the weekend once or twice a month. It was in France not Japan or Australia.

Now having said that if Phil wants to run his contract down that's his right. I think we all know if Phil moves he's probably only getting a pay as you play contract and he will get injured regularly. So I can't say I really blame him for sitting on guaranteed money probably the best part of £4m quid. The club was misguided in giving him such a long contract back in 2019, with Phil's injury history it should have never been longer than a 2 year deal.

Theo88

I think we shouldn’t have that picture of his here. Just an opinion. Not challenging any arguments from previous posts but come on.

SAFMUTD

He’s only doing what many other people would do in his position.
What everyone in his position would do. Anybody asking him to walk away from 75K a week just because of pride is mad. The sport fecked up his body at least he was lucky enough to be in a club fool enough to gave him that contract. How many players we've seen ravaged with injuries only to end up retiring at a young age with no money to show for it?

A-man

He's just riding out a fat contract, who can blame him?

Probably never gonna play a serious game of football again, but happy to be picking up about £75k a week to do literally nothing.

It must be soul destroying to turn up every day to see players who've won the CL 3,4,5 times knowing that you're just riding out a contract, but would any of us be proud enough to walk away from £75k a week for nothing?
I'm sure he's riding out his contract, but he also seems like the type of character who rather would have had an injury free career with less money.

weizxx

Can't believe he is still here. Really want a job like his.

Hughes35

Odd situation. Seems an Ok guy and I actually rated him as a player.

Just physically can't cope with being a professional athlete. The contract renewal was utter lunacy and priced everybody out of taking him from us (Even on a free due to his wages).

He will sit here until his contract expires and you can't blame him.

Devil81

Surely the club would be better served paying him up and letting him move on.

Seems madness to keep him around the place.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Does he throw a party tonight when the window shuts and he’s still here leaching?
No, but he will give interview again where he will tell the "haters" how he has shit load of money while we live in our parents basement.

Goat leecher

BorisManUtd

It's fine, he's our 5th CB needed for few cup games when we rest others. It's a long season and we're playing in 4 competitions. Jones will be gone next summer anyways.

The trash newspapers are reporting hes been booted out of the first team dressing room to make space for the new signings, and he's now in with the U23s down the corridor. Tuanzebe, Williams and Mengi have gone with him. He's got no shame at all has he.

The Corinthian

He’s wasted the last few years of his career. Happy to pick up a pay check and offer nothing rather than have a career elsewhere.

Chairman Steve

I’m interested to see what happens next year when he does go. He is entitled to pick up the wages that Woodward stupidly handed him but the double edged sword is he’s essentially committed career suicide. No-one is signing a 31 year old who’s been happily taking big money, seemingly shown no desire to get games elsewhere, pretty injury prone and played like a dozen games the past three years. While being injury prone is out of his control for the most part, he’s not going to get sympathy if he’s not happy that a PL team isn’t picking him up next year. I think even Championship teams will baulk at the idea of taking him on, and they’d only offer him a one year deal or a pay as you play deal.

It’s pretty common knowledge how low his rep is and how he’s basically a football meme, especially when Twitter itself tweeted something along the lines of ‘Name a player better than Phil Jones’ once. Ten years from now, he’ll be known as the guy who did the funny faces mid-tackle.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He is taking the money someone promised him while going to work at Man United every day. He is living the dream lads and he has managed to somehow prolong his existence at United.

I cant fathom why he is still there, its not as if its prime Vidic we will get back when he does get fit.

He should have been released with a pay off.

He is one of thousands that just gets injured and cant do it yet he as managed to not be moved on. Cant understand it.

mu4c_20le

The club tried to move him, he turned down offers. Allegedly because the level was beneath him, like MLS or championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.