Phil Jones image 4

Phil Jones England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

So glad we renewed his contract to retain his value meaning we could sell him for more money and make a profit

Or something

Anyway shame about his injuries but we've known about that even before his last extension

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So glad we renewed his contract to retain his value meaning we could sell him for more money and make a profit

Or something

Anyway shame about his injuries but we've known about that even before his last extension
We didn’t know about the major career threatening injury he would receive. Nobody could predict that.
It’s like saying don’t give a contract to (any other injury prone player we’ve had over the years) but we do because they have talent.
jones has been incredibly unlucky with injuries. I’ve heard that the last one may even affect his old age so good luck to him whatever direction he’s goes into next:

Hughes35

Such a shame. I really believe that without all the injuries he's be a proper club legend.

Really rate him as a footballer. He's only 31 and has been at the club for 12 years. In another world, he'd have played around 500 games for us.

Having said all that, he has been inured for years and should have left the club about 5 years ago.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We didn’t know about the major career threatening injury he would receive. Nobody could predict that.
It’s like saying don’t give a contract to (any other injury prone player we’ve had over the years) but we do because they have talent.
jones has been incredibly unlucky with injuries. I’ve heard that the last one may even affect his old age so good luck to him whatever direction he’s goes into next:
Sure, but it's not as if he was a reliable player fitness-wise before he signed that contract. In the five seasons leading up to that extension, he had never played more than 26 total games in a season. At that point it was already obvious that we were better off cutting our losses.

golden_blunder

Staff
Sure, but it's not as if he was a reliable player fitness-wise before he signed that contract. In the five seasons leading up to that extension, he had never played more than 26 total games in a season. At that point it was already obvious that we were better off cutting our losses.
26 games a season is a squad player.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s played 6 league games in 4 seasons. Didn’t realise it’s been that bad.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
26 games a season is a squad player.
Maybe. There's a difference between a player who's available throughout the season and steps in when needed (when the first choice player is injured, suspended, or rested), and a player who's available intermittently.

John O'Shea was the former. Phil Jones was the latter.

Sylar

It wasnt even about the games played, it was about the number of injuries and days missing that was building and increasing. Even when he got the contract and the length it was granted, it was suspect, because again, nobody else was in for him, he wasnt a key player we had to tie down as long as we did.

The Ed Woodward thinking clearly was about value by tying him down.

I feel sorry for Jones for sure, but giving him the contract for how much he was getting paid too, made no sense at all.

golden_blunder

Staff
Not if injury is the reason they've only averaged 26.
Not sure what age you are but I wonder did you say that when Robbo, McGrath, giggs or even more recent Shaw were always out injured?
My point is it’s not always as black and white as “he’s injury prone he should have been shifted”

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Not sure what age you are but I wonder did you say that when Robbo, McGrath, giggs or even more recent Shaw were always out injured?
My point is it’s not always as black and white as “he’s injury prone he should have been shifted”
Come on. You and I both know they’re not like for like examples.

Andersonson

He is clearly injured again or he has some sort of mental problems. He hasnt even been with the U21 for a very very long time. Its also kind of weird that the club and manager hasnt said a work about anything. I suspect a bad illness or something

The Corinthian

You’re missing my point.
No I get it, I just don’t think they’re like for like. I’ll give you another example - Gary Neville missed the whole of the 07/08 season through injury…but he had already 10+ years of being consistent and injury free in the bank. Same as the examples you’ve cited. Other than the first year, we’ve never had that level of consistency and availability from Jones.

MoskvaRed

I wish Jones all the best and he is very far down the list of United’s main problems but comparing him to injury prone but functioning players like Robson amd McGrath is ridiculous. In nearly 12 seasons at United, Jones has a similar number of league appearances to Duncan Edwards.

Marwood

Your point was that 26 games is a squad player. As if he's only played 26 because he's a backup, not picked to start.

But that's not the case. He was only averaging 26 because he's often unavailable for selection.

Two different things.

Who wants a squad player that's only available for selection half the time?

golden_blunder

Staff
Your point was that 26 games is a squad player. As if he's only played 26 because he's a backup, not picked to start.

But that's not the case. He was only averaging 26 because he's often unavailable for selection.

Two different things.

Who wants a squad player that's only available for selection half the time?
Well, Brighton keep Welbeck, Arsenal kept Wilshire, Liverpool Thiago , and so on.
My point is it’s not as black and white as just getting rid of injury prone players.

90 + 5min

Such a shame it all went as it went. Would have been a great defender if his body could cope with being footballer. To many injuries, to big injuries, all at wrong time.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Some will go insane lengths to defend us giving him that contract, there were so many people against it. Just as for DDG's renewal, which (luckily), we do not know the conditions yet. It was a terrible decision by the club. Especially tying him down for so long.

The Corinthian

Some will go insane lengths to defend us giving him that contract, there were so many people against it. Just as for DDG's renewal, which (luckily), we do not know the conditions yet. It was a terrible decision by the club. Especially tying him down for so long.
Yea it was a crazy decision. Another one on the list to add that shows Woody’s incompetence.

Sylar

Exactly, its not like it was one we all were happy to see happen at the time. This isnt hindsight stuff, this was foresight at the time too.

Gandalf

He is clearly injured again or he has some sort of mental problems. He hasnt even been with the U21 for a very very long time. Its also kind of weird that the club and manager hasnt said a work about anything. I suspect a bad illness or something
Allegedly he suffered a major setback with his knee in the first training session under ETH and is effectively unable to ever play again. The club is showing compassion for his situation by quietly allowing his deal to run down whilst he figures out what to do in retirement.

BorisManUtd

Exactly, its not like it was one we all were happy to see happen at the time. This isnt hindsight stuff, this was foresight at the time too.
I think even those who weren't against new contract for Jones were still baffled by length of the contract.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think even those who weren't against new contract for Jones were still baffled by length of the contract.
Pretty much this. Jones had been fairly good in 17/18 (arguably his best ever season) and decent in 18/19 so it was understandable for him to get a new contract. I still wouldn't have given him one because even then he was getting too many injuries and I wanted someone more reliable, but giving him a contract wasn't that bad of a deal. But it should have been something like a two year contract with an automatic extra year if he played a certain amount of games.

UpWithRivers

I wonder who the testimonial is against. Maybe Spurs so Darren Anderton can get 5 mins if he can make that

AndySmith1990

My view has always been it was ludicrous to even consider renewing his contract. But if someone at the club thought it was worthwhile then at most it should've been a year long with an option to extend. It's not as if Jones would've rejected and left to join another club. Not that he would've been able to join another club as he was injured again that summer. United really have made some truly baffling decisions

Doracle

My view has always been it was ludicrous to even consider renewing his contract. But if someone at the club thought it was worthwhile then at most it should've been a year long with an option to extend. It's not as if Jones would've rejected and left to join another club. Not that he would've been able to join another club as he was injured again that summer. United really have made some truly baffling decisions
He was a current England international and probably our best CB as at that summer, so we weren’t releasing him on a free. 2+1 would have made a lot of sense though, given his injury record.

golden_blunder

Staff
He was a current England international and probably our best CB as at that summer, so we weren’t releasing him on a free. 2+1 would have made a lot of sense though, given his injury record.
This has always been my point, but apparently it’s normal to give free transfers to current England internationals

Sylar

I wonder who the testimonial is against. Maybe Spurs so Darren Anderton can get 5 mins if he can make that
Didn't he say he doesn't want a testimonial because only his family would turn up.

That was sad

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
gb for some reason likes to pretend every few months here that no one thought Jones was injury prone when he signed that contract, even though many people proved him otherwise so many times, but he just ignores that. Anyone sane realised he is injury prone player in 2012, let alone 6-7 years later when his injuries were worse every year.

golden_blunder

Staff
gb for some reason likes to pretend every few months here that no one thought Jones was injury prone when he signed that contract, even though many people proved him otherwise so many times, but he just ignores that. Anyone sane realised he is injury prone player in 2012, let alone 6-7 years later when his injuries were worse every year.
Again at time it contract he was in the England squad, we’re not gonna let him walk for free. The error was the length of contract.

I also point to martial who probably like Jones had injury after injury yet we are still playing him when fit. Doubt we’re giving him away for free either

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This shows how much injuries can make a career go downward. Phil Jones was amazing under Sir Alex, he looked like the real deal until injuries came.

Status
Not open for further replies.